Economist

This flood shows the differences between poor filipinos and poor americans

76 posts in this topic

If you want to get into off-topic discussions that do not relate to this thread, please move the topic to Off-Topic instead of hijacking this thread. Yes, what has happened in the Philippines is a tragedy; it is sad that others feel the need to take a tragic situation and turn it into a political soapbox for their own personal agendas and ignore the tragedies.

The whole thread was posted as an 'agenda' and to turn the thread into a soap-box. The OP uses 2 post hurricane/typhoon photos (one of the Phillipines and one of New Orleans) to illustrate that 24 hrs after the typhoon ravaged parts of the PI, one 'poor' woman is cleaning up, meaning that everyone is doing that, whereas 24 hours after hurricane Katrina, the poor of NOLA were looting according to the 2nd picture in the original post. The comparison is not balanced...it is hurtful.

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
If you want to get into off-topic discussions that do not relate to this thread, please move the topic to Off-Topic instead of hijacking this thread. Yes, what has happened in the Philippines is a tragedy; it is sad that others feel the need to take a tragic situation and turn it into a political soapbox for their own personal agendas and ignore the tragedies.

The whole thread was posted as an 'agenda' and to turn the thread into a soap-box. The OP uses 2 post hurricane/typhoon photos (one of the Phillipines and one of New Orleans) to illustrate that 24 hrs after the typhoon ravaged parts of the PI, one 'poor' woman is cleaning up, meaning that everyone is doing that, whereas 24 hours after hurricane Katrina, the poor of NOLA were looting according to the 2nd picture in the original post. The comparison is not balanced...it is hurtful.

Plus disrespectful, devoid of any compassion, respect, etc. The entire thread is disgusting.

:thumbs: maybe we can show some sensitivity to those who have spent hours or days trying to find out what has happened to their loved ones. having experienced it in a different situation, believe me, it's a very heart wrenching experience...

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Man up and take pride that you can with your very limited education. Can still get a job, and support yourself.

I really enjoy how you're trying to talk down to me and my "very limited education". In my field I excel and it's a very technical field, in fact I'm the valued senior resource that my college educated co-workers rely on when they're stuck. I learned by doing, built my own "real life lab" in my house and tinkered into the wee hours of the night to learn what books and lectures will never teach you. Sadly the days of Thomas Edison and his likes are lost to us. Anything less than College is considered "Very Limited Education" by Elitists when in fact I've put real world solutions in place that shouldn't work by-the-books where my College Educated Colleagues failed!

The Government didn't give me anything, I worked hard to accomplish what I have. I'm very proud of that.

You seem to think that I don't appreciate living where I can have the opportunity to prove my worth despite the fact that I have said nothing to that end.

When my mom died this summer, homeless and poor {by her choice she lived the life she wanted}, my brother & I shouldered the expenses. We could have left her in the hospital morgue for the county to cremate and put in a mass pauper's grave but that wouldn't have been right.

I will never agree to people looking to the government when they should have family to help out first.

Government assistance should always be the last resort IN MY OPINION. Go to family, your church etc first. Then with whatever help you can get, right yourself and push through the difficulties.

When my daughters were younger my income was much less than today as I hadn't yet proven myself in my field. They never knew what we didn't have until they got much older and by that time we were able to get it.

You think I should thank the government for the results of my hard work?

For the record, I'm proud to be an American but I'm sad to admit that we don't have the Golden Mecca so many seem to think we do.

Mom {okay my wife's Mom} gave-up her own education to take care of and provide for her siblings, by our standards she is dirt poor living on a small pension and profits from a humble lending business. Instead of looking at what she doesn't have she's grateful for what she does have. Maybe that's the difference right there. Here we look over the fence and comment "Wow, my neighbor's lawn is so green" but in the PH so many don't bother looking over the fence but instead are grateful that they have a yard regardless of how healthy the grass is.

FWIW, while I was in the PH I did encounter:

-> Corrupt store manager when buying the AirCon for my wife & son.

-> Street children not begging but insisting that I must give them something to the point that I was followed into a store and the kid placed them self between me & the items I was looking at.

-> Trike Drivers who charged us 10P each instead of 8P just because I was Kano.

-> Shop Keepers who asked 300P for the same item that was 150P before I approached as my wife was considering her purchases.

My whole problem and point of my comments was not that the PH is better or America Sucks but rather:

The US Government has gotten to the point that too many people here think they have a right to be given hand-outs without needed to ever do anything to get off the government dole. This has weakened us as a country.

In response to the great depression 80 yrs the government created jobs and built massive dams, roadways and other public works. The poor got money, food & housing but they worked for it and were proud.

Today the poor sit around doing nothing but watch TV and the government give them money, food & housing. Sadly they're proud of it...

Filed: Timeline

:thumbs: maybe we can show some sensitivity to those who have spent hours or days trying to find out what has happened to their loved ones. having experienced it in a different situation, believe me, it's a very heart wrenching experience...

:thumbs: May they find peace and remain united, as people do in times of trouble like this (F)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There are WAY too many opinions for mine to shake up the agenda at all but let me voice it none the less ..

MOST Filipinos (and Filipinas) are very resilient as are MOST Americans .. the pictures that are missing from the original post are of the volunteers from all over the country coming to help out with the flood victims, cleanup, etc. and pictures of people opening their homes to the flood victims.

In the US there are alot of people that feel that they are entitled to something simply because they are Americans (more than likely the ones in the original post) they vote for the party that they feel is most likely to give the handouts, they settle for what the government gives them, etc. etc.. Other Americans use their God given abilities (along with the free trade system, ingenuity, and drive) to do something that betters their lives. This opportunity is also afforded to the Americans in your picture but they more than likely find a way to blame someone else for their predicament (education, environment, unemployment, etc.) Regardless their excuse, the opportunity is there ..

The real difference between your two pictures in my opinion is this .. the people in the U.S. have the opportunity to make something of themselves and choose not to, the people in the Philippines would probably do something to better their lives but a corrupt government, overpopulation, poor economy, and resources keep them from doing so. This may very well be the OP's point, and I agree if it is; but please don't feel compelled to generalize all Americans in this way.. I would like to think that there are lots of folks out there that wouldn't loot and steal in this same situation.

As for religion, I think that plays a roll in it as well .. but not because God has made them better poeple, rather because religious people live their lives closer to the examples and commands of the bible; it is a great guide for that specific purpose !!! Prayer in and of itself probably doesn't determine a persons destiny, I do believe it brightens their outlook and centers them daily to return to their beliefs. I know people that pray every day, people that pray on Sundays, people that go to church on Christmas and Easter, and people that wouldn't know what to do with the crackers and grape juice .. each group has good people in it but you are far less likely to find a "bad seed" in the group that prays every day !!! I am speaking of Christian beliefs because that is the only religion I have any first hand knowledge of, I am sure it is a similar story with other religions as well.

Donnie and Sylvia

Timeline

I just noticed something about your Philippine flood picture ..

Take a look at the house, the design, the wood around the doors and windows, the fact that there is a kitchen inside the home and that there are multiple rooms .. my guess is that this home is not owned by poor family .. chances are, the POOR housekeepers are the ones cleaning .. LOL

Donnie and Sylvia

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Take a look at the house, the design, the wood around the doors and windows, the fact that there is a kitchen inside the home and that there are multiple rooms .. my guess is that this home is not owned by poor family .. chances are, the POOR housekeepers are the ones cleaning .. LOL

good point, cb. and good to see you back on vj. :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. In every country there are both bad and good people. There are some people will take advantage during calamities. Whether it is a rich or poor country. Its better in the USA because people are dependent on the government but not in the poor countries. I hope in this country the economy can recover in the future so the government can provide more for the people Especially the lazy ones!

You can see in this video how bad people take advantage of a calamities.

click and watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzbLP-QPHws...feature=related

Seriously.... this is a human tragedy and people are actually taking time to post petty comments about poverty in the PI and the US? Making dreadful generalizations about the poor? wth people, really.

It's like comparing apples and oranges Len. Really!

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Timeline

good point, cb. and good to see you back on vj. :thumbs:

Thanks Charles ...

VJ is a good place to come to anytime you need help with the USCIS !!! :thumbs:

Donnie and Sylvia

Filed: Country:
Timeline
In the US there are alot of people that feel that they are entitled to something simply because they are Americans (more than likely the ones in the original post) they vote for the party that they feel is most likely to give the handouts, they settle for what the government gives them, etc. etc.. Other Americans use their God given abilities (along with the free trade system, ingenuity, and drive) to do something that betters their lives. This opportunity is also afforded to the Americans in your picture but they more than likely find a way to blame someone else for their predicament (education, environment, unemployment, etc.) Regardless their excuse, the opportunity is there ..

The real difference between your two pictures in my opinion is this .. the people in the U.S. have the opportunity to make something of themselves and choose not to, the people in the Philippines would probably do something to better their lives but a corrupt government, overpopulation, poor economy, and resources keep them from doing so. I would like to think that there are lots of folks out there that wouldn't loot and steal in this same situation.

EXACTLY!

Timeline

Wow just wow. People that use natural tragedies to further their political views are a bunch of ignorant followers. There are videos of Filipinos floating around youtube laughing at someone stuck on the top of a car during the storm. That does not mean every Filipino is is cold and jaded though.

You want a generalization that is true? The ones of you spouting this nonsense listen to Rush Limbaugh, and or Glenn Beck. I truly feel for your wives. If the stereotypes about their listeners are true. You guys are a bunch of racist hate mongers. Bob hate to break this to you, but your inability to finish the simplest most rudimentary form of education does speak volumes about you. It shows you have no foresight in your life. You have cheated yourself and family of a better life, and future.

This entire debate is saddening and sickening. There is another storm due to hit at the end of this week, and some of you believe spouting political nonsense like a parrot is more important. You guys are sickening. You are a disgrace for the good people in the USA, and the Philippines.

Edited by George&Hazel

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-09-04

I-129F RFE(s) : 2009-10-19

RFE Reply(s) : 2009-10-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-11-18

NVC Received : 2009-11-20

NVC Left : 2009-11-24

Consulate Received : 2009-12-04

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received : 2009-12-05

Interview Date : 2010-01-04 Approved.

Planned POE: 2010-01-08

Wow just wow. People that use natural tragedies to further their political views are a bunch of ignorant followers. There are videos of Filipinos floating around youtube laughing at someone stuck on the top of a car during the storm. That does not mean every Filipino is is cold and jaded though.

You want a generalization that is true? The ones of you spouting this nonsense listen to Rush Limbaugh, and or Glenn Beck. I truly feel for your wives. If the stereotypes about their listeners are true. You guys are a bunch of racist hate mongers. Bob hate to break this to you, but your inability to finish the simplest most rudimentary form of education does speak volumes about you. It shows you have no foresight in your life. You have cheated yourself and family of a better life, and future.

This entire debate is saddening and sickening. There is another storm due to hit at the end of this week, and some of you believe spouting political nonsense like a parrot is more important. You guys are sickening. You are a disgrace for the good people in the USA, and the Philippines.

you could have made your point without the insults... ;)

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.