Peachey

Canadian youth more adventurous than American youth

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well this article doesn't surprise me. Who wouldn't want to see the world after living in Canada. I mean everyone is just dying to get the hell out ha ha. Ok I just had to throw that in here.

Personally, I travelled all over the world mostly when young. That was just because my dad was a known microbiologist and so we'd move for his research or go to places he was on some forgein board with etc. So I techincally fit into the more well travelled that's for sure, but it really was just having it happen all my life so that now I'm always wanting to go other places etc.

When in Canada I would take every oppurtunity I had to drive down to the US and go places until I hit every state (but Alaska) and then come back multiple times to some areas on vacations. I'm the same way now, if I have a 3 day weekend, I want to get the hell out of Colorado where most people I know stay here on holidays or even from what I noticed vacations.

I'm sorry any chance I can get out and get a change of scenery I will do so...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Growing up in Southern California, we have so much here. Two hours to go snowboarding in the mountains, two hours to go to Joshua Tree desert to go camping or ride motorcycles, three hours to Yosemite Forrest, 4 hours to get to Vegas, and 20 mins or less to go to the beach. I was an exchange student in Ireland, Mexico, and Spain at various times, and have travelled to 26 countries. When I was a kid, my family couldn't afford to go on European vacations. Luckily, I did get to see real historical sites, travelling to South America wasn't that expensive at the time. I still remember climbing the ruins of Chichen Itza and going to see Machu Picchu, back when they let you touch stuff :lol:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
yeah that is one of the nice things about living in SoCal.. there is a lot to do and see around here

This is true, and you forgot to mention Dune Buggies on the sand dunes too. California has a bit of everything so it's a lot more diversified then most other areas. I'm sure people living in Iowa or Ohio or North Dakota can't really say there's a whole lot to do. I know every state claims they have great stuff, but in reality, it's just generic stuff you can do anywhere else.

Another thing about the Southwest is the natural beauty without the people. Well compared to the East coast, it's a lot less populated and you can still find lots of areas that you don't see homes or subdivisions or humans at all building #######...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I still remember climbing the ruins of Chichen Itza and going to see Machu Picchu, back when they let you touch stuff :lol:

That makes you old enough to play bingo :thumbs:

:rofl:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I grew up in Northern Cal and we had recycling when I was young, but I do think that California is more progressive than many states in that regard.

Regarding travel, I have had my passport since I was 17 and have traveled around the world, but I do think many Americans stick to home for some reason. When asked about my travels, often people are in awe, like there would be no way they could travel like that themselves. It's weird to me because it doesn't seem like lack of desire, but rather fear of the unknown or something. Maybe for some people, traveling to a foreign place that's very different from where they live takes them too far out of their comfort zone and they feel scared - who knows?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I grew up in Northern Cal and we had recycling when I was young, but I do think that California is more progressive than many states in that regard.

Regarding travel, I have had my passport since I was 17 and have traveled around the world, but I do think many Americans stick to home for some reason. When asked about my travels, often people are in awe, like there would be no way they could travel like that themselves. It's weird to me because it doesn't seem like lack of desire, but rather fear of the unknown or something. Maybe for some people, traveling to a foreign place that's very different from where they live takes them too far out of their comfort zone and they feel scared - who knows?

You bring up a good point. America is a much more fear-mongering society. Every day the news is telling people not to go anywhere basically...that every where and every one is a danger. I often joke to Jared that I miss Peter Mansbridge because he could literally put me to sleep at 6pm. Just a little dabble in the days news and no sensationalism at all. Headlines in America are everything...

So, this fear..of the unknown...

I can also offer this. I work at a university and often have the parent's call me and complain instead of the children. Keep in mind that some of these "children" I speak of 22, 23 years old... (I"m only 25) And the parents will battle on their behalf and then suddenly I don't blame the kids for being not so adventurous. Especially in my state, where poeple have money and middle class mommies rule the world, they don't want to let their kids go. So, they become helicopter parents and they hover...FOREVER...and they don't encourage their kids to go off and see other places because they don't want to be away from them.

Hell, I have parents saying to me on the phone from the Jersey shore, that sending them to my university which is literally an hour and a half away from that area, was the biggest step they ever made and they hate every minute of their kid being away because they can't WATCH them.

I'm not kidding.

Growing up in Canada, all our parents encouraged us big time to go out and see things...and we went where ever we wanted to go to university...I don't have one friend whose parents held them back from seeing the world or becoming progressive.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

You bring up a good point. America is a much more fear-mongering society. Every day the news is telling people not to go anywhere basically...that every where and every one is a danger. I often joke to Jared that I miss Peter Mansbridge because he could literally put me to sleep at 6pm. Just a little dabble in the days news and no sensationalism at all. Headlines in America are everything...

I can also offer this. I work at a university and often have the parent's call me and complain instead of the children. Keep in mind that some of these "children" I speak of 22, 23 years old... (I"m only 25) And the parents will battle on their behalf and then suddenly I don't blame the kids for being not so adventurous. Especially in my state, where poeple have money and middle class mommies rule the world, they don't want to let their kids go. So, they become helicopter parents and they hover...FOREVER...and they don't encourage their kids to go off and see other places because they don't want to be away from them.

Hell, I have parents saying to me on the phone from the Jersey shore, that sending them to my university which is literally an hour and a half away from that area, was the biggest step they ever made and they hate every minute of their kid being away because they can't WATCH them.

I'm not kidding.

Growing up in Canada, all our parents encouraged us big time to go out and see things...and we went where ever we wanted to go to university...I don't have one friend whose parents held them back from seeing the world or becoming progressive.

That is happening everywhere, not just the US. Vancouver has so many "children" that cry and complain when mommy won't give them something.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline
:crying: I miss Peter Mansbridge too, and Lloyd Robertson... the news down here is so.... awful

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

I'm not kidding.

Hah! That's ridiculous, but you're right regarding how parents are these days. They protect/shelter their kids to the point that they're almost helpless on their own. There is no way a parent should be that involved in a college student's life!!! I was 9 hours away from my parents when I went to university and they didn't really know what was going on day to day. I LIKED it that way as it was a time to become independent and live on my own.

America is definitely a fear mongering society and the news makes things so much worse. Some crime statistics have actually gone down in the past couple of decades, but you wouldn't guess that after watching the news. That probably contributes to the less than adventurous spirit and that is just too bad.

Timeline

You're probably right Amanda, I hadn't really thought of that aspect in relation to travel. The fear mongering is atrocious and one of my pet peeves. Wayyyy off topic but I saw a Canadian blood donor commercial several times - or maybe it was radio - but it was fear mongering plain and simple. I wrote a letter of complaint and the response I received was that their donations were up and it seemed to be working. No kidding. They don't do it anymore.

Fear as a marketing tool is morally wrong.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
That is happening everywhere, not just the US. Vancouver has so many "children" that cry and complain when mommy won't give them something.

OMG definately. At the computer shop I worked some kid brought in his Mac which he had dropped a speaker on. Now, warranties dont cover acts of stupid. I tried to explain how it would work, that we could order the piece in but it would be $800+ labour and that he would have to pay for the screen up front as we couldn't front the costs on something like that. Well he gets upset and says he will be back in a minute, hes going to call a friend to figure out what he should do. Well he comes back with his cellphone, hands it to me and says his "friend" wants to talk to me...turns out that friend was his dad calling to tell me his son is hurting (lol) blah blah blah. Told him theres nothing I can do about Apples warranty and that his son should not have dropped his speakers on his computer, then he wouldn't be hurting. I think I got yelled at for about 15 min before my sup took the phone and told him theres nothing we can do and he can either pay it or call apple and ######, and then hung up on the dad :lol:

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

I have never watched so many shows about child predators in my entire life. To get into my sons school you need ring a bell, and then show your drivers license to a camera before they buzz you in and once they buzz you in they check your card over and over again. Now they're talking about getting a scanner so parents can just scan their licenses. I feel like I am going into Fort Knox for crying out loud. :lol:

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.