Peachey

Canadian youth more adventurous than American youth

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
^^ I kinda of agree with you Aero. I can see it from both sides. Small town America is also very different from people living in big cities too.

I personally don't find my Canadian friends any different from my American friends. All of my American friends have passports (although some have never been to Canada) and they all have travelled, some around the world, some to the Carribean, some to Europe. Some went backpacking after College, some did a year abroad in College. Some of my friends in Canada, finished school, started working and settled down. A lot are getting married in both groups of friends.

All of my American friends recycle - although one thing I noticed here is that they use Styrofoam cups more and paper plates and such in the home everyday (not just at parties). We don't really recycle paper at work though, which is kind of bad. NYC is not a very green city, but there are a lot of green cities in the US.

One of the major differences I see is that Americans travel within their own country. There is so much to do and see, why not! In Canada, Canadians are far less likely to plan a vacation in Saskatoon. Whereas, an American might plan a trip to Chicago or San Francisco, Boston etc. Canadians go elsewhere, whereas Americans stay in their own country. It's much cheaper, that's for sure! A flight to Vancouver from Toronto is ridiculous! A flight from NYC to Los Angeles is much cheaper. A lot of times its more worth it for a Canadian to spend a week all inclusive in Mexico, than to travel somewhere in their own country.

I'm gonna co-sign!

Well said!

Donne moi une poptart!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't travel for the beaches, or snowy mountains. I like to experience different cultures, broaden my horizons a bit, eat different food, meet different people and learn about the history of the rest of the world, not just North America.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't travel for the beaches, or snowy mountains. I like to experience different cultures, broaden my horizons a bit, eat different food, meet different people and learn about the history of the rest of the world, not just North America.

What I tried to point out, but possibly failed to, is that there are different cultures and horizons to broaden even within the United States. The food of the Pacific Northwest is significantly different from where I grew up in Kentucky, and that's different from the food I can get in Florida, Kansas, Texas, New Mexico... even the two parts of California (north and south) have really different cultures, people, food, and what not.

I miss apple cider doughnuts from Massachusetts, which aren't much prevalent outside of New England. I miss Kentucky Hot Browns and fried pickles, which are impossible to get around here. I miss good Texas BBQ, which you really cannot get of outside of Texas.

Customs and language are even different based on where you go.

I'm just saying, as someone who has been around the world and around the United States, homebody Americans aren't necessarily unsophisticated for not venturing outside the country and they're not necessarily /not/ getting their horizons broadened by staying within the country.

Together: 10/10/2001 - current

The Process, Part 1

09/09/09 - I-129F sent certified mail express to CSC.

09/10/09 - I-129F received and signed for by INS Express Mail.

09/11/09 - NOA1 notice date.

Timeline

Just to play Devil's Advocate... the US is a pretty diverse place and there is a lot of culture. The food in the South is different from NYC or New England etc. The culture in LA is much different from even San Francisco. There's also a lot of history in Philadelphia, Washington D.C.

But I see your point. Everyone has different objectives for vacations. I personally dislike camping and don't care for ski vacations. But, bring me to Disneyworld or Vegas and I'm a happy camper. All I need is an outlet mall, a pool/beach, good restaurants and a nice comfy bed to rest in and that's my ideal vacation. Of course, I would love to travel to Europe, but it's not really a priority for me. To each their own...

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
One of the major differences I see is that Americans travel within their own country. There is so much to do and see, why not! In Canada, Canadians are far less likely to plan a vacation in Saskatoon. Whereas, an American might plan a trip to Chicago or San Francisco, Boston etc. Canadians go elsewhere, whereas Americans stay in their own country. It's much cheaper, that's for sure! A flight to Vancouver from Toronto is ridiculous! A flight from NYC to Los Angeles is much cheaper. A lot of times its more worth it for a Canadian to spend a week all inclusive in Mexico, than to travel somewhere in their own country.

I think there is a lot to see and do here as well. Are Canadians much less likely to plan a vacation within Canada? While I don't think I would choose Saskatoon as a vacation destination, we - and many other Calgarians enjoy vacationing in Kananaskis and Banff, in fact the only real vacations my Husband and I have taken (aside from a 4 day trip to Montana to shop) have been in Banff (and I can see the mountains from where I sit at my computer ie it's not that far!) - now it's not a culture thing, but it certainly is beautiful.

I wonder what the statistics are for Canadians vacationing outside the country vs inside the country.

Edited by trailmix

I never meant to imply that homebody Americans aren't sophisticated. I just like to go exotic, or different places.

In any country the food, culture will be different from region to region. Especially so in countries like Canada and US since we were founded by different cultures.

But if I want REAL authentic sushi, I'm going to Japan! If I want southern fried food I'm going to Georgia :)

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

I travelled alot within Canada growing up, spent many summers in Banff and PEI.

At the same time, I have travelled alot in Europe, and there is no comparision to the US (food, culture, etc). Even though the US is quite diverse, it cannot compare to spending a few months in Malta and touring Italy. It's just totally different.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

I'm going to have to agree with Jill here.

The US has many wonderful places to visit and lots of things to see. I hope I get to see some more places, especially on the West Coast. But to be honest with you, how many trips can you really take to the South or to Vegas before it gets boring? And while people are diverse in the US, so are they in Canada. Someone down East is really different from someone who grew up in the prairies. So the point that people are different in the US and that's why more Americans travel within their own country doesn't really settle it for me.

Vacation time is definitely something that impacts your ability to travel. However, Canadians and Americans are pretty on par as far as weeks of vacation.

And also, remember, this story is about YOUTH not all Americans.

I'm the only married person out of my friends in Canada to date. Most of my friends are still doing PhD's or post graduate work of some kind. They don't have to wake up and think about their mortgage payment every day and they are off to Malta or Turkey or Italy in the summer if they please. I find the life many of the people I know here in the US live is so constricting. I have so much responsibility so young (and I'm ok with it as it's my choice...) but every one falls into the same pattern I'm in!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Both my fiance & I got passports because we had a relationship with each other & we had to get one to cross the border. Otherwise I don't think we'd get one. His mom recently got a passport because she wanted to come to my wedding shower in Ontario, otherwise I doubt she'd get one.

I don't know if this is a slight drift....

I find a lot of Americans DO NOT stay in the State they were born in. Some, not all. A lot of Americans I've met say they live in State "X", but originally from "O".

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Both my fiance & I got passports because we had a relationship with each other & we had to get one to cross the border. Otherwise I don't think we'd get one. His mom recently got a passport because she wanted to come to my wedding shower in Ontario, otherwise I doubt she'd get one.

I find a lot of Americans DO NOT stay in the State they were born in. Some, not all. A lot of Americans I've met say they live in State "X", but originally from "O".

That could be said for Canadians too - "I live in Calgary, but i'm originally from Winnipeg" :lol:

Timeline

That could be said for Canadians too - "I live in Calgary, but i'm originally from Winnipeg" :lol:

Yup! "I live(d) in Oakville, but I'm originally from Montreal!"

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Maybe it's regional? I'm from Mississauga, and everyone I know is from Mississauga, or Toronto/GTA... I don't know many transplants. Maybe a few from Niagara... but no one from out of province really.

Now in NYC, most of my friends here are born and raised in NYC. Although most people I work with are from all over the place, my office is definitely diverse but I think that's typical of NYC. People move to NYC after school to work since it's a hub in my field.

In almost all cases everyone I know has a passport and is well traveled, regardless of what country they are from.

And, I definitely agree that Europe is more historical and cultural and diverse BUT I would argue that Americans don't see the value in going to Europe when they have a huge country to see, where they can drive places, use their own currency etc.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I think CDAgirlMI is right. The vast majority of people I knew in Niagara were born and raised in Niagara. Once and a while you'd encounter someone from the Toronto area, or Northern Ontario, but it wasn't very common. I had knew 1 person in university who came from out of province and that's it... But here in Colorado, its actually rare to find a person who was born and raised here. There are a huge number of transplants, mostly from the east coast and new England who came out here while the economy was really developing and expanding. There's actually an interesting sense of pride among people who were born and raised here... they like to point it out like its big news :lol:

It make so sad.

(the lack of spreading wings)

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline
BUT I would argue that Americans don't see the value in going to Europe when they have a huge country to see, where they can drive places, use their own currency etc.

Yes but come on, let's be super honest here...Are you really going to find someone from Colorado that different from someone in Rhode Island? If we are speaking of monuments and history, there is a ton of stuff to see here in the US. However, the lifestyles people are living today are pretty simliar across the country.

Also, for someone to go from the East Coast to the West coast is very expensive and you couldn't drive it. I mean you could if you want to spend 5 days in a car.

Also, some places are really expensive to go, even if you are using your own currency. I'd rather spend money (and I know this is a personal opinion) going to Brussels then to spend a lot of money per night in a hotel in NYC. I mean, if you visit NYC, you don't stay in Brooklyn, you stay in Manhattan, and it is EXPENSIVE to stay in a hotel no matter which one it is there. In fact, I think I could find cheaper accommodations in pretty much every European city than in NY. Maybe London would be more expensive, that's it.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.