104 posts in this topic

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I converted when I was around 16. I'm approaching my 5 year date. :D

When I was younger, I was Christian. My family was kind of religious, we went to bible study and church as often as we could. After I got a bit older, my Mom kind of fell out from the church because of a lot of reasons. Nowadays she just doesn't believe in organized religion.

When I was around 10, I started attending church by myself. I even made a few of my friends tag along with me when I could. After a few years I stopped going. I had a lot of issues with Christianity as I started getting older (So weird I sought out religion at such a young age). I stopped attending for a few years (though I still considered myself a Christian and read the bible often) and I met my best friend in Middle School. She wore hijab, but she never really told me about Islam except for what I asked her randomly. I also learned a little about Islam through a history class of mine. I was intrigued and a lot of things made sense, so I studied it more. When I entered high school my best friend went to homeschooling. I started visiting her during Saturdays at her masjid which was conveniently located down the street from my house. I was intending to just chat with her but I got the benefit of hearing many Islamic lectures. I think I looked into Islam for a little more than a year, and then I converted alhamdulillah. The exact dates are blurry, it was so long ago. Through these years I studied Islam even more and I'm 100% happy with my decision and find it be the right one for me. :innocent:

I met my hubby about 3 1/2 years after I converted...? So no influence there! :devil: But when we married we did make a basis of our marriage Islam and to help each other be better Muslims throughout our lives. :star:

ahlawy.jpg

l9v9m4.png

807bc02469.gif

"The believers, in their love, mutual kindness, and close ties, are like one body; when any part complains, the whole body responds to it with wakefulness and fever." [Muslim]

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." Henry David Thoreau

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
I converted when I was around 16. I'm approaching my 5 year date. :D

When I was younger, I was Christian. My family was kind of religious, we went to bible study and church as often as we could. After I got a bit older, my Mom kind of fell out from the church because of a lot of reasons. Nowadays she just doesn't believe in organized religion.

When I was around 10, I started attending church by myself. I even made a few of my friends tag along with me when I could. After a few years I stopped going. I had a lot of issues with Christianity as I started getting older (So weird I sought out religion at such a young age). I stopped attending for a few years (though I still considered myself a Christian and read the bible often) and I met my best friend in Middle School. She wore hijab, but she never really told me about Islam except for what I asked her randomly. I also learned a little about Islam through a history class of mine. I was intrigued and a lot of things made sense, so I studied it more. When I entered high school my best friend went to homeschooling. I started visiting her during Saturdays at her masjid which was conveniently located down the street from my house. I was intending to just chat with her but I got the benefit of hearing many Islamic lectures. I think I looked into Islam for a little more than a year, and then I converted alhamdulillah. The exact dates are blurry, it was so long ago. Through these years I studied Islam even more and I'm 100% happy with my decision and find it be the right one for me. :innocent:

I met my hubby about 3 1/2 years after I converted...? So no influence there! :devil: But when we married we did make a basis of our marriage Islam and to help each other be better Muslims throughout our lives. :star:

Sounds like my story :thumbs: Alhamdoliallah

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I have never thought about converting and hubby doesnt really care. I do not practice organized religion and like Jenn, if I did convert it would be a lie. I don't agree with many parts of Islam (hijab, inheritance, etc) and I dont like the cultural do's and dont's of Islamic people in the Middle East. I dont believe that it is right to convert unless you are 110% faithful to the religion.

Hubby is Muslim, but that only goes so far. He is probably the worst example of one, but that is fine by me. We both believe in God, and have faith that we will leave earth one day and find eachother in heaven and thats all that matters.

I am Christian and my husband is Muslim. While we were courting Ahmed and I talked about ours faiths and Ahmed told me he didnt want me to convert. He fell in love with me as a Christian woman and if I converted it would take a part of me away. As for me, I dont fell the need to convert, we both worship the same God. We just a have different ways of doing it.

K-3 Journey

06-26-2008 married the love of my life

02-17-2009 I-130 sent

03-16-2009 I-130 NOA

05-06-2009 I-129F sent

05-19-2009 I-130 approval

05-20-2009 I-129F NOA2

05-29-2009 NVC Received

05-29-2009 NVC Left

06-01-2009 Consulate Received

06-20-2009 Packet 3 Received

08-20-2009 Packet 3 Sent

09-12-2009 resent in packet 3

09-22-2009 Packet 4 Received

10-13-2009 Interview

Interview rescheduled on 10-07-2009 for 10-22-2009

11-4-2009 Fax the letter requesting Ahmed's Police Record from France

XX-XX-2009 Visa Received

XX-XX-2009 US Entry

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I have never thought about converting and hubby doesnt really care. I do not practice organized religion and like Jenn, if I did convert it would be a lie. I don't agree with many parts of Islam (hijab, inheritance, etc) and I dont like the cultural do's and dont's of Islamic people in the Middle East. I dont believe that it is right to convert unless you are 110% faithful to the religion.

Hubby is Muslim, but that only goes so far. He is probably the worst example of one, but that is fine by me. We both believe in God, and have faith that we will leave earth one day and find eachother in heaven and thats all that matters.

I am Christian and my husband is Muslim. While we were courting Ahmed and I talked about ours faiths and Ahmed told me he didnt want me to convert. He fell in love with me as a Christian woman and if I converted it would take a part of me away. As for me, I dont fell the need to convert, we both worship the same God. We just a have different ways of doing it.

You don't believe that Jesus is God?

I could never convert, I love my relationship with Jesus!

:thumbs:

on the assumption that both of you believe Jesus is God, i'm just curious where the idea comes from that muslims somehow don't/are unable to have an amazing relationship with God. is this something you believe christians alone have a monopoly on? as a muslim anyways, i'm very fond of prophet Jesus (pbuh), and all of his beautiful works.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The Christian religion that I was raised in believes that God and Jesus are two separate entities. So to me, God and Allah are one and the same. Jesus was a Prophet. Of course some have debated that my old religion should not be considered Christianity.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

on the assumption that both of you believe Jesus is God, i'm just curious where the idea comes from that muslims somehow don't/are unable to have an amazing relationship with God. is this something you believe christians alone have a monopoly on? as a muslim anyways, i'm very fond of prophet Jesus (pbuh), and all of his beautiful works.

My thinking was along the same lines chemaatah. Actually I was thinking, why wouldn't Muslims be able to enjoy a relationship with Jesus? He is also their prophet and Muslims believe in his return. How would being a Muslim change someone's/ruin someone's relationship with Jesus?

To answer the OP, whatever you or anyone decides, it should be because it was something that person wanted, and found a peace with... not for anyone's sake, or fitting in, or looking good, etc. Everyone should stick to a religion and lifestyle which suites them. I think most people in the world, are labeled one religion or another, but they aren't really that religion. Is a Muslim that doesn't pray, fast, or abide by the rules really a Muslim? Or just labeled one? Is a Hindu that eats beef and doesn't believe in reincarnation really a Hindu? It's something to ponder... I often wonder if someone picks and chooses what they like of a religion and leave off things they dont' like...are they really of that religion??? Or have they created their own religion by doing so? Does religion require an all or nothing approach? Lots of things to think about after reading some of these posts. I think I've found some good conversation/debate for my husband tonight :lol:

Filed: Timeline

My thinking was along the same lines chemaatah. Actually I was thinking, why wouldn't Muslims be able to enjoy a relationship with Jesus? He is also their prophet and Muslims believe in his return. How would being a Muslim change someone's/ruin someone's relationship with Jesus?

To answer the OP, whatever you or anyone decides, it should be because it was something that person wanted, and found a peace with... not for anyone's sake, or fitting in, or looking good, etc. Everyone should stick to a religion and lifestyle which suites them. I think most people in the world, are labeled one religion or another, but they aren't really that religion. Is a Muslim that doesn't pray, fast, or abide by the rules really a Muslim? Or just labeled one? Is a Hindu that eats beef and doesn't believe in reincarnation really a Hindu? It's something to ponder... I often wonder if someone picks and chooses what they like of a religion and leave off things they dont' like...are they really of that religion??? Or have they created their own religion by doing so? Does religion require an all or nothing approach? Lots of things to think about after reading some of these posts. I think I've found some good conversation/debate for my husband tonight :lol:

Isn't there something in the Bible about being a "lukewarm" (not hot or cold) type religious person? I would assume by that statement that no you are not a Christian then if you pick and choose what's best in that religion for you...right? I would assume most would believe this for all religions then...unless as you said you've created your own? :unsure:

I found something on it...Lukewarm Christian ... googled it..(interesting)

The Lukewarm "Christian" Church of Laodicea - Rev 3:14-22

Rev 3:14-22 Jesus says, “Write this letter to the Angel of the Church in Laodicea. This is the message from the one who is the Amen—the Faithful and True Witness, the beginning of God’s new creation: I know ALL the things you DO, that you are neither HOT nor COLD. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like LUKEWARM WATER (BAD WATER), neither Hot nor Cold (GOOD WATER), I WILL SPIT YOU OUT OF MY MOUTH! (Perish in Hell) You say, ‘I AM RICH. I HAVE EVERYTHING I WANT. I DON'T NEED A THING!’ And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. So I advise you to buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy WHITE GARMENTS from Me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see. I CORRECT AND DISCIPLINE EVERYONE I LOVE. SO BE DELIGENT AND TURN FROM YOUR INDIFFERENCE. “Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear My voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as Friends. Those who are VICTORIOUS (over sin) will sit with Me on My Throne, just as I was VICTORIOUS and sat with my Father on His Throne. Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what He is saying to the churches.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

CnT4ever,

I wasn't asking people so I could make a decision. It's just something I've been thinking about alot lately, and was curious about others' thoughts. I just don't really have people to discuss this with, and thought it would be something interesting to do online. I also figured this group would be a good place to do it, since we're more likely to understand than the people who live around me. I was right! I mentioned before, and want to mention again that I'm really impressed how civil everyone has been!

I think you had a really good point - most people probably aren't very strict about their religions - at least from what I can tell. I know in my case, I was only exposed to Catholicism, and was led to believe that "we" were "right", and everyone else was delusional. I wouldn't choose Catholicism if it wasn't "assigned" to me. I haven't found a religion that I want to choose. If people ask, I usually just say "I was raised Catholic" because getting into a long conversation isn't usually the best idea. First of all, most people don't really want to know - kind of like "how are you?", they just want a short, simple answer. Not only that, but you just never know how people will react, and I am rarely in the mood to deal with people's possible reactions to what I might say. Especially if it's someone in my family! I love my relatives, but... this is not something I want to debate with them. And trust me, it WOULD be a debate. Sigh.

I love that I've been able to post without being attacked, and that so many have shared their thoughts with me - and that they haven't been attacked either. This is just the kind of interaction I've been craving!

I don't know if I'll ever "pick" a religion, but at least I've come to terms with the idea of not really identifying with one. It sounds like there are a few other people here with the same situation. Makes me feel almost normal! ^_^

I guess it's good that most parents teach their children about "A" religion, even if the children don't always end up agreeing with it. We need guidance when we're young, until we can make our own decisions about things. I just wish that there wasn't this thing attached to it - the concept that if we decide to follow another religion when we're older, that we're going to Hell or something like that. We call it "Catholic guilt", but I don't think Catholics are the only ones who do it to their children!

I'm sure many people just don't really think about it, or at least don't think about it for certain parts of your life. That was me for many years - just disassociated myself from the whole thing. Hearing my husband talk about God just brought it into my thoughts, and I think that's a good thing. My husband's faith has brought me closer to God, and I appreciate that, and have thanked him for that many times.

Well, I think some people DO think that religion is an all or nothing thing, and that's what I used to believe, too. Now I don't think so. I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but I think it's ok to pick and choose what I think is "right". Then again, I don't consider myself to be a member of any religion either. And part of that is because I can't consider myself part of religion if I don't completely agree with it. If others want to consider themselves part of a religion they don't really follow, that doesn't bother me. That's something we need to decide on our own. Then again, I can understand how an observant member of a religion might not be too thrilled about someone who identifies themselves as part of that religion but don't take it seriously.

I'm a "to each his own" kind of person.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the conversation. I hope to have more!

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: Timeline
The Christian religion that I was raised in believes that God and Jesus are two separate entities. So to me, God and Allah are one and the same. Jesus was a Prophet. Of course some have debated that my old religion should not be considered Christianity.

M4E... :luv:

I had a really funny sarcastic comment, then I realized where I was.... :rofl::bonk: *keeps to myself* :devil::whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.