31 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
All my unhappiness comes from within.

Exctomundo!

Hee, hee!

(made up words are so fun)

This is absolutely 100% true.

You can rewire that if you set your attention to it.

Come over and i will tickle you.

:lol:

:lol: Seriously though - what you said has merit. There have been times in my life where I've taken a break from watching or reading the news. The major news media as well as advertisers feed off of people's anxieties and fears...as well as other emotions. However, as adults, we can filter through the sh!t and find the meaningful and important information. We don't have to tune out to find peace of mind. :)

Lol, yes my doctor even has told me to stay away from the news before.

I find that news coverage is quite comedic. Local news is the absolute best. You'll see them lead a story at the end of a segment like this:

"Next up, the tale of a lethal swarm that could take over the entire nation, stay tuned"

Then the actual story is about some kid in Riverside who was extremely allergic to bee stings. :blink:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Another way to feel happy when you're feeling unhappy - do something nice for someone else! A true story - I was feeling really unhappy one day (waiting for the K-1 visa which never seemed to come along with a bunch of other stresses in my life). I just wanted to cry! On my way to work I stopped in at Tim Horton's Coffee drive-through and when I got up to the window I paid for my coffee and bagel - and on the spur of the moment said I would pay for whatever the person in line behind me had bought! I had heard that doing something nice for someone else could make you feel better so I tried it - and it worked! As I drove away from the window, I just felt really good thinking about what a nice surprise the person behind me would get when they pulled up to get their order. The happy feeling stayed with me all day, so now if I am feeling unhappy I try to find something to do that will make someone else feel happy and do it. It still works.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Another way to feel happy when you're feeling unhappy - do something nice for someone else! A true story - I was feeling really unhappy one day (waiting for the K-1 visa which never seemed to come along with a bunch of other stresses in my life). I just wanted to cry! On my way to work I stopped in at Tim Horton's Coffee drive-through and when I got up to the window I paid for my coffee and bagel - and on the spur of the moment said I would pay for whatever the person in line behind me had bought! I had heard that doing something nice for someone else could make you feel better so I tried it - and it worked! As I drove away from the window, I just felt really good thinking about what a nice surprise the person behind me would get when they pulled up to get their order. The happy feeling stayed with me all day, so now if I am feeling unhappy I try to find something to do that will make someone else feel happy and do it. It still works.

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!

Thanks Kathryn.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Exctomundo!

Hee, hee!

(made up words are so fun)

This is absolutely 100% true.

You can rewire that if you set your attention to it.

Come over and i will tickle you.

:lol: Seriously though - what you said has merit. There have been times in my life where I've taken a break from watching or reading the news. The major news media as well as advertisers feed off of people's anxieties and fears...as well as other emotions. However, as adults, we can filter through the sh!t and find the meaningful and important information. We don't have to tune out to find peace of mind. :)

Lol, yes my doctor even has told me to stay away from the news before.

I find that news coverage is quite comedic. Local news is the absolute best. You'll see them lead a story at the end of a segment like this:

"Next up, the tale of a lethal swarm that could take over the entire nation, stay tuned"

Then the actual story is about some kid in Riverside who was extremely allergic to bee stings. :blink:

I try to listen to news with an open mind since there is a lot of bias and nonsense. News reports are for ratings and shock factor first and then it's the news. I am also always amused about the constant need to publish stupid statistics which are designed to support someone's political agenda. Or some of the medical ones which change for one year to the next.

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

Which reminds me:

Anyone here old enough to remember when movies were talked about on a level that did not have to do with how much money they made on their opening weekend?

Man that just bugs me.

Like value has anything to do with how much $ something grossed.

Grrrr.....

Oops, I have reverted to negativity.

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMM....

Choose alternative news sources.

There are a zillion.

Edited by SpiritAlight

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
The mainstream corporate media/news is all about fear.

It sells!

Unfortunately.

Just like people tend to slow down to see an accident after it happened.

And so, our path could be to seek out a way to get informed without all of that fear mongering.

Seriously it's about:

divide and conquer.

The more people are divided, the less community oriented we feel and the more fear we have about each other.

Hence...

And so, places like gated communities, etc. have reinforces that no one is safe, which is baloney.

Lock something and someone will try to steal it.

It's true!

Which brings me to many thoughts....another discussion perhaps.

Well, we were taught in story class - you can't have a story without conflict....and everybody loves stories. :) We also identify with those conflicts, external and internal in the stories of others.

Also, there has been research that has shown that there's a part of our brain that makes no distinction between what we observe someone else doing and ourselves. Perhaps just part of evolution that we do in a way, live vicariously through the actions of others. It's probably why watching sports can be so addictive to many people. :)

Which reminds me:

Anyone here old enough to remember when movies were talked about on a level that did not have to do with how much money they made on their opening weekend?

Man that just bugs me.

Like value has anything to do with how much $ something grossed.

Grrrr.....

Oops, I have reverted to negativity.

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMM....

Choose alternative news sources.

There are a zillion.

Yes and I always prefer a fantasy movie to take me away from reality sometimes :yes:

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

try drinking prune juice.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

Not to harsh your mellow or anything but I was the recipient of this once. I got really weirded out because I was trying to figure out if they knew me or not. Or maybe they were a stalker! :crying: And then I felt really unsettled because I had no way of thanking them. :( (Provided they weren't a stalker, that is. lol)

I'm sure someone else would have enjoyed it, though. :blush:

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Not to harsh your mellow or anything but I was the recipient of this once. I got really weirded out because I was trying to figure out if they knew me or not. Or maybe they were a stalker! :crying: And then I felt really unsettled because I had no way of thanking them. :( (Provided they weren't a stalker, that is. lol)

I'm sure someone else would have enjoyed it, though. :blush:

I might be weirded out by that too!

I wonder if I would be able to think fast enough to pay for the person behind me.......

You better hope this person isnt a stalker :P

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
:(:crying:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg