achubhai

Social Security Number Issue

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
My fiance and I went to the SSA office 2 weeks after his arrival, and they weren't able to find him in SAVE yet, evidently. She took photos of his ID, Visa and i-94 and said, "Wait for a letter from us".

Do people usually leave the SSA office with at least a number? I know they need to find a person in SAVE first, but if they do, do those people leave with SSN's or wait for a card to arrive?

We just returned from the SSA office: 2 weeks and 2 days after arrival on K1 visa. I don't know if they found my husband in SAVE, but the guy checked something on his computer and said that my husband's SSN card should arrive in 10 days -- so it seems like everything is OK. The guy also said that we can come and get the number on Thursday (2 days from now) if we need it before the card arrives.

K1:

NOA1: 04/06/2009

NOA2: 07/23/2009

POE: 10/25/2009

Marriage: 10/30/2009

AOS & EAD:

Date sent: 11/23/2009

AOS & EAD NOA1: 12/01/2009

Biometrics done: 12/24/2009

Received RFE for I-693, although we included I-693 with AOS.

Replied to RFE with full medical

EAD approved: 01/22/2010

AOS Interview scheduled: 03/08/2010 Approved couple of days later

Filed: Timeline
Do people usually leave the SSA office with at least a number?

No

Once the application is cleared the SSN record is normally established over night and the number is available the next day. So the soonest you could have your SSN is the day after you apply.

I noticed you're from Minneapolis? Are you married to a Philippino?

SSA just opened a Card Center in the Twin City area on Monday, so if you live in Minneapolis, MN, that is where you have to apply:

http://www.ssa.gov/cardcenters/cardcenteri...html#twinCities

And yes. LOL

My fiance and I went to the SSA office 2 weeks after his arrival, and they weren't able to find him in SAVE yet, evidently. She took photos of his ID, Visa and i-94 and said, "Wait for a letter from us".

Do people usually leave the SSA office with at least a number? I know they need to find a person in SAVE first, but if they do, do those people leave with SSN's or wait for a card to arrive?

We just returned from the SSA office: 2 weeks and 2 days after arrival on K1 visa. I don't know if they found my husband in SAVE, but the guy checked something on his computer and said that my husband's SSN card should arrive in 10 days -- so it seems like everything is OK. The guy also said that we can come and get the number on Thursday (2 days from now) if we need it before the card arrives.

If the application was cleared today, he probably could go back and get the number tomorrow. Either the person isn't going to clear it until tomorrow or just wanted to be sure the application processed before telling him to come back to the office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.