goldenheart

The Saga Continues.....

219 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

My husband is Sunni.

I want to ask a question to all you converts. If you converted before you met your husband how did you know which sect to pick? I mean there is a lot of islamic groups..shiite,sunni, sufi, salafi, and etc..? And it seems like they all interpret islam differently.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

looks like this little thread just turned into a debate abt Islam... :whistle:

or is that an Islamic debate? (F)

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

looks like this little thread just turned into a debate abt Islam... :whistle:

or is that an Islamic debate? (F)

Maybe it's better to take it offsite and discuss it. :whistle:

i find it interesting though.

i agree, angel... it is interesting, just not sure whose word to follow as Islamic law... I'm not well studied enough in it to know the difference... trying to learn tho. :blush:

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

i agree, angel... it is interesting, just not sure whose word to follow as Islamic law... I'm not well studied enough in it to know the difference... trying to learn tho. :blush:

I suggested finding it within yourself, Noura, finding your own path. (F) Ask questions but come to your own conclusions. Islam encourages independent critical though, despite how many would love to impose their interperetations upon you as the" true path". Religion is interpretative and no one can truly claim to know 100% the intentions of God or exactly what the Prophet Mohammad meant - although many claim otherwise. A huge part of the faith is intent -"actions are but intentions". For example, scholars says that if you accidentally eat when you are fasting, the fast is still valid because it was not your intention to break the fast... likewise, if you only pray to please someone around you rather than for God, your prayer is invalid. My personal belief is that God understands our intentions and will judge each of us accordingly. It doesn't matter which school of thought you follow but what is in your heart and mind, but that is ONLY my opinion :D

Rebecca

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Beggars can't be choosers.

What a cruel remark!! :no::no::no:

You really have to wonder what people get out of making such remarks in a thread that is obviously traumatic for the poster... (and any other thread for that matter). It's a sad thing and the reason I'm not posting here much anymore.

Goldenheart, I hope this is all put to right soon. You are both in my prayers.

What jerk!

I am hoping everything turns out for ok for you.

Have you thought of moving to Germany to be with him? Sorry if you answered this before.

chi

098bdb652297eb8af8222ef77903ebf5.gif

.png

Married in 04

"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

chiqa.jpg

Timeline

Goldenheart,

This has been a most informative thread for me. I know it started out about your situation and I am so glad you have kept everyone updated. Please continue to update us.

There are a lot of VJ'ers who want to help and support you. When we all get together and brainstorm it just is so refreshing and helpful to all of us.

I can tell you are a wonderful woman wanting to help others avoid what you have been through. Keep working towards getting the answers to your visa dilemma. My hope for you is that the k 1 issue will be resloved quickly. I also hope beloved changes his mind and decides to come here and live with you. Then if you both decide later that the states are not the place for you, then you both can move on.

chi

.png

Married in 04

"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

chiqa.jpg

Filed: Timeline
My husband is Sunni.

I want to ask a question to all you converts. If you converted before you met your husband how did you know which sect to pick? I mean there is a lot of islamic groups..shiite,sunni, sufi, salafi, and etc..? And it seems like they all interpret islam differently.

I did not and will not choose a sect. As Rebecca said, its such a deeply personal thing that I think it's best to follow your self. I know some won't agree with me. I'm cool with it. My reality will never equal the reality of another. So, as I wander around full circle, that's why I don't claim any sect. My fiance is also in agreement with my thinking even though he is Sunni. His logic is, you will find a deeper understanding as you find your way down that path then simply being born into it. I'm not saying one who is born sunni or shiite, muslim or christian, cannot and do not find deeper understandings, but it takes the same desire to wander a path of self.

Well... I agree that it should have been discussed elsewhere... I even suggested/requested to be replied to on the other group but we find ourselves here anyway.

I had a very nice brother from Egypt before I met my husband who warned me about various sects. After that I read about their various beliefs and the proofs from Quran and Sunnah that we should not follow them.

Did you know rasool Allah warned about them and predicted we would be divided as we are today?

{ On the authority of Mu'aawiyyah bin Abu Sufyaan, may Allah be pleased with him, that he said: Verily Allah's Messenger (sal allahu alayhi wa salaam) stood up amongst us and said:

"Indeed from those who came before you from the people of the book divided into seventy two sects, and this nation will divide into seventy three sects. Seventy two in the Fire and one in Paradise, and it is the Jamaa'ah (United Body)."

Reported by Abu Dawood (4/98) }

Another thing too is that so much of this bidah (innovation) comes from trying to immitate the kufar and people of the book and he also warned against that...

{ On the authority of Abu Sa'eed, may Allah be pleased with him, the the Prophet(sal allahu alayhi wa salaam) said:

"You will indeed follow the ways of those who came before you hand-span by hand-span and arms-length by arms-legnth, to the extent that if they were to enter a lizard's hole, then you would likewise follow them."

"We said: O Messenger of Allah! Do you mean the Jews and Christians?" He said "Who else!?" }

So we need to stop acting like them and taking their ways as our own and remember that we are muslims.

There is also another hadeeth in that rasool Allah said whoever immitates a people is from them or will be with them on JD but I'll have to look for the reference to site on that one inshallah. It may be on the previous site I referenced.

Layla

Edited to say: I really didn't mean to hijack this thread I was just trying to point out that if someone has followed the Islamic requirements of marriage, others should not be saying our marriages are not valid from a religious standpoint. Which in this case doesn't really apply anyway becase the OP said it was done over the phone and that's not Islamic anyway.

Sorry again

Layla

Edited by veiledprincesslayla

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

Is there a thread in the other site? I have to find it. Right now i'm posting about Lebanon :)

Anyways about the islamic debate going on. It's interesting. I would like to learn more therefore my husband said he will get me the koran in english so i can read it. He said if i wanted to know anything to go there and find it. :)

Is there a thread in the other site? I have to find it. Right now i'm posting about Lebanon :)

Anyways about the islamic debate going on. It's interesting. I would like to learn more therefore my husband said he will get me the koran in english so i can read it. He said if i wanted to know anything to go there and find it. :)

The free Qur'an that CAIR is giving away is beautiful. It takes several months to arrive but is well worth the wait. http://www.cair-net.org/ Go to "explore the Qur'an" closer to the bottom of the page.

Rebecca

You can download Quran Viewer 2.910 here and read it on your PC for free. It is in Arabic / transliterated arabic / English and you can search for words/phrases in English. It's offered by DivineIslam.com but for some reason their site is down but you can still get it here.

Oh no, that's not what I meant about replying to the other group. In my post I asked her to reply in private or on the other group so we didn't get flamed here but she chose to reply here anyway. :)

Edited by veiledprincesslayla

Timeline

I think this has all been good learning. I so much want to know about Islam. If others don't care to join in, well then it is thier choice. After all this is the ME forum. Surely people must know religion is a big part of the culture and therfore will come up. I say this to even those who are not muslim but are married to one. It helps to understand much more I think.

Just my HO. :D No offence is meant to anyone!

Huggies :)(L)

chi

.png

Married in 04

chiqa.jpg

Timeline

Oh and by thw way...I am just reading the postings as I don't know much about Islam but I want to know. My husband is very good with all of my questions, but it is also nice to hear and read from others experiences.

I especially liked reading that Allah (God) sees the intent of our hearts. I believe that so much. we can all look like we are good people to the world, but what does it matter if we go home and beat our family or neglect them or cheat someone or steal or whatever vice we may be into? The great one who created us sees the intent of our hearts and knows the attitudes of our minds, there is no fooling the creator of heaven and earth.

I also like where woman are protected. I know many think Islam enslaves women and I am sure some in the Islamic world believe that and practice that, but i don't believe that is the true teaching in Islam. A woman who is prtected has a lot to gain and she should never feel inferior to those who think differently.

Let me stop for now since my knowledge is limited and I get some not so nice feed back (not that I mind) and just continue reading...

Thanks to all who has contributed to my learning and understanding. I so much appreciate you.

chi

.png

Married in 04

chiqa.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.