trailmix

Did you feel safer in Canada or in the U.S.?

178 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Yea sorry, its the transit systems in and around the Philadelphia area. :lol:

I mean just about a month ago or so some kids beat a starbucks manager to death at a downtown SEPTA station. I understand that this can happen anywhere and I know there is violence everywhere where you go... BUT I would take the TTC in Toronto at any time and not think twice... whereas when I get on SEPTA I sometimes fear for my life.

I think that's definitely not true for the NYC subway system. The NYC subway is probably one of the safest places to be at night. Unless of course you're going the Bronx or something, but generally I am always amazed at the huge presence of police officers even just riding the train!

I find it really interesting how you can have a really nice neighbourhood right beside a really bad neighbourhood here. I feel like that is a lot less common in Canada, or more specifically the Toronto area. Like for example the Bronx is known to be very dangerous, but you can also find very wealthy neighbourhoods in the Bronx.

Gated communities are also an interesting concept here.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is a huge contrast. It reminds me of Cabbagetown in some ways, you have million dollar homes with regent park on one side of it and St. James town on the other. Cabbagetown is famous for that though - poor and rich living together side by side.

I would walk through Cabbagetown, it was fine. However, I will not walk through Camden. When I have gone down to Camden to see concerts I notice that after shows police will filter people out of the city, blocking off side streets so that everyone gets out safely. To me that's just strange. In Toronto I feel like everyone tries to live together as one, but down here people say: you can't go into that area, you could die.

I mean really... how do you feel safe when you're told that?

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
It is a huge contrast. It reminds me of Cabbagetown in some ways, you have million dollar homes with regent park on one side of it and St. James town on the other. Cabbagetown is famous for that though - poor and rich living together side by side.

I would walk through Cabbagetown, it was fine. However, I will not walk through Camden. When I have gone down to Camden to see concerts I notice that after shows police will filter people out of the city, blocking off side streets so that everyone gets out safely. To me that's just strange. In Toronto I feel like everyone tries to live together as one, but down here people say: you can't go into that area, you could die.

I mean really... how do you feel safe when you're told that?

So true. I totally agree.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
About 20 minutes west of me is Camden, the worst city in the US... I believe it is still in the running for first.

Camden, NJ, Gary, IN and New Orleans along with DC have always been one of the worst. Gary and Camden are pretty much on par with each other, though New Orleans has beaten them both to be the murder capital years back (not sure on current statistics).

Of course Watts, Lynwood, Compton, Detroit, El Paso etc are also up there for being really bad...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline
Yea sorry, its the transit systems in and around the Philadelphia area. :lol:

I mean just about a month ago or so some kids beat a starbucks manager to death at a downtown SEPTA station. I understand that this can happen anywhere and I know there is violence everywhere where you go... BUT I would take the TTC in Toronto at any time and not think twice... whereas when I get on SEPTA I sometimes fear for my life.

I've only taken Septa once, in broad daylight when it was rush hour.... would never do it otherwise

Ew speaking of the TTC, I was just reminded of a story from last summer. This PERV decided to, ahem, pleasure himself during rush hour when the subway was packed, and he was rubbed up against this poor girl. He went all out, if you catch my drift and the girl was left with a mess on her. They never caught the pig

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Yea I have seen some crazy things. When I was a kid I'd take the bus alone to go to school. One time this drag queen got on at Parliament and she was sooo messed up! She fell over and some cocaine fell out of her purse and she started licking the floor. All I did was get off the bus and walk the rest of the way home.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Yea I have seen some crazy things. When I was a kid I'd take the bus alone to go to school. One time this drag queen got on at Parliament and she was sooo messed up! She fell over and some cocaine fell out of her purse and she started licking the floor. All I did was get off the bus and walk the rest of the way home.

:rofl:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

But I didn't feel unsafe. :lol:

I mean I have seen things and heard things in Toronto that weren't good but I have never felt threatened. I have been robbed too - in the Annex of all places. Still feel safer there than I do here.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Andorra
Timeline

I mean I have seen things and heard things in Toronto that weren't good but I have never felt threatened. I have been robbed too - in the Annex of all places. Still feel safer there than I do here.

You've been robbed, and confronted with a borderline concious coke head who left drugs out there, yet felt safe? :blink:

Indy.gif

Maybe this is a regional thing....but just a question for you guys....in the city of about 200,000 I live in SK EVERY apartment has a security system. Even the cheapo apartments have a buzzer system so that you don't have any unwanted people walking through your building.

See earlier post, when I lived in the small ND college city, after my first year in residence I lived in an apartment. NONE of the apartments had any type of security "buzzer" system. Not even the most expensive apartments! I was a little bit miffed, but that is coming from living in a bigger city where if I was living in an apartment, higher chance I would get broken into. Granted my parents home did not have a security system, but it did not make me feel safe living alone in an apartment building with no security system. I could have moved back to residence, but instead found out about campus apartments and moved there, as they had "security" (somewhat). You needed a key in order to get through the front door of the building, no one who didn't live there(unless they tampered with the door) without that key could wander through the building.

The place I will be moving to the apartments do not have any type of security system, and its hit and miss with other complexes in the area, some are pretty $$$$$, probably some of the "newer" complexes are having this as a standard feature. Even in NE I have seen some gated communities, most of these brand spankin new, but the only time I ever saw those before were honestly in the south, I guess it has to do with like someone else said, on one hand you can have a "bad" area right next to a "good" or wealthy area...(other side of the tracks). The crime rate for NE is definitely higher than in ND, but no where near the rates of NYC, NJ, and all the other cities mentioned in this thread already.

Edited by minnew

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've never seen an apartment building here (in Calgary) without a buzzer system.

The one we lived at in Florida didn't have one, but the hallways were open to the sunshine and crocodiles.

Edited by trailmix

but the hallways were open to the sunshine and crocodiles.

:lol:

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

none of the ones here don't have a buzzer, but Wes's building...has a gated parking lot and wide open front doors. All it would take is someone leaving their car unlocked with the opener in it and people could get in and out easy as pie. the front doors are huge as well probably about 6ft wide at least, and they "close" them only at night...but all they do is close the doors, theres no locks or anything...it was odd for me to see.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

You've been robbed, and confronted with a borderline concious coke head who left drugs out there, yet felt safe? :blink:

Oh I have seen more, and been through worse. :lol:

But never felt unsafe. Perhaps though, it was because at the time of the robbery I was a teenager and I felt like nothing could hurt me. By the by, the guy who robbed me was very nice. :lol: All I had was bus tickets and he took those.

I think its all to do with your surroundings, my husband feels okay to walk the streets of Philadelphia at night and taking the train at night. He grew up in the area. He knows there's a high crime rate but it doesn't seem to bother him.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

mostdangerousplacestolive.jpg

I think it's the type of crime, too. In Newark, you might get shot execution style in a wrong place, wrong time gang initiation. I'll take the robbery!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.