trailmix

Did you feel safer in Canada or in the U.S.?

178 posts in this topic

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I acknowledge that dutch apple cheesecake is the bestest in the world.

i second THAT emotion! ;)

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Canada, but mostly because of health care. We're out in the country here in the US, so the safety level is roughly the same, at least in my mind. But it does scare me that I could have to pay through the nose if I even break a bone or two here. Thankfully we have a plan to fix that once I get my green card.

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hmmm. i work in a law firm that deals with family and criminal cases. and i dont think i want to know how many sex offenders are close to my area. I've looked over cases and some of them makes my stomach turn.

However, i live in a small fishing & surfing town. Since there's not a lot to do, there's a lot of drunks and def a drug problem. But We leave our cars unlocked and our houses are unlocked. lol. funny how that works.

In canada, we have to lock our doors. our house was broken into and no one was home but my little sister who locked herself in our bedroom & hid in the closet while she called 911. i guess, since then we've been very cautious.

There is definitely more media exposure about drugs and violence that I see on tv while living in US compared to Canada. But then again, every city has its own problem. I guess I feel safer in US b/c I learned how to handle a firearm out here & physical defense and if I was faced with danger, i can kick some @$$ if need be. LOL.

Edited by borderdriver

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Okay, since making my post that I felt pretty safe here we've had all kinds of shootings and killings and manhunts in the area. I rescind that post! :lol:

Oh! And a meth lab too! :o

:lol:

and that's awful!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't you live in N. Florida Krikit? If so, I can understand the meth and violence part. That is afterall one of the most backwards, redneck areas of this country. I have devised an equation to tell how bad your neighborhood is.

First, you need to count how many cars on your block or the one on either side of you has any of the following characteristics:

1) Pickup Truck with a confederate flag, Nascar sticker of a cartoon child peeing on a chevy/ford symbol

2) Piece of ####### car with expensive rims or stereo on it.

3) Gun Rack

Next, count how many houses/apartments have grass that is unkept. Not just grass that needs to be cut, but grass that needs the city to come out and inspect the premesis.

Then add the number of people who have 5+ cats, or pit bulls.

If the grand total of this is greater than 8.... you should move. If it is 4-8, you are relatively safe, but you probably have some crazies and or meth heads in your neighborhood. Less than 4, and your neighborhood is not interesting :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Don't you live in N. Florida Krikit? If so, I can understand the meth and violence part. That is afterall one of the most backwards, redneck areas of this country. I have devised an equation to tell how bad your neighborhood is.

First, you need to count how many cars on your block or the one on either side of you has any of the following characteristics:

1) Pickup Truck with a confederate flag, Nascar sticker of a cartoon child peeing on a chevy/ford symbol

3) Gun Rack

Next, count how many houses/apartments have grass that is unkept. Not just grass that needs to be cut, but grass that needs the city to come out and inspect the premesis.

If the grand total of this is greater than 8.... you should move. If it is 4-8, you are relatively safe, but you probably have some crazies and or meth heads in your neighborhood. Less than 4, and your neighborhood is not interesting :lol:

:lol: does that math work?

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

3) Gun Rack

Uhm.. wow. I'm not sure if I should be offended or laugh at the stupidity of this comment.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

It does in every neighborhood that i've ever lived in :lol:

3) Gun Rack

Uhm.. wow. I'm not sure if I should be offended or laugh at the stupidity of this comment.

I've been there numerous times and never been proven wrong. But, i've never lived there, so I suppose I could be. BTW, it was meant tongue in cheek if you didn't notice :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

3) Gun Rack

apparently stereotyping of rednecks is acceptable......

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

3) Gun Rack

apparently stereotyping of rednecks is acceptable......

My neck may be red, but I ain't no hillbilly!

event.png

Timeline
I've lived there. Family has lived there for 20 odd years.

I've always considered Orlando Central Florida. My reference was really for Gainesville and north of that. But I guess I struck a chord of sorts with my off hand comments and will stfu about it now. I'm sorry if you took offense, I didn't mean anything by it.

Timeline
I've lived there. Family has lived there for 20 odd years.

I've always considered Orlando Central Florida. My reference was really for Gainesville and north of that. But I guess I struck a chord of sorts with my off hand comments and will stfu about it now. I'm sorry if you took offense, I didn't mean anything by it.

Heh. Just because I have Orlando in my profile doesn't mean I don't have family north of it. I have family spread out all over Florida - so please, don't assume.

My family lives north of Panama City Beach.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.