nyankee

Should I adopt stepdaughter to bring her here with my wife?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

Okay, well I already sent out a i130 for my wife, but I'm also trying to bring my stepdaughter who is 9. Which route should I take? And what documents would I need. Should I adopt her and give her my last name, and ask the ask to give up his parental riight for the good of her daughter? Or is there another way. Whatd do they ask for.

One last thing, can I fill out a i130 for my stepdaughter now? I sent out one for my wife this week, I put in I was not petitioning anyone else for now. Can I do it without affecting my wife's. What proofs would I need?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Okay, well I already sent out a i130 for my wife, but I'm also trying to bring my stepdaughter who is 9. Which route should I take? And what documents would I need. Should I adopt her and give her my last name, and ask the ask to give up his parental riight for the good of her daughter? Or is there another way. Whatd do they ask for.

One last thing, can I fill out a i130 for my stepdaughter now? I sent out one for my wife this week, I put in I was not petitioning anyone else for now. Can I do it without affecting my wife's. What proofs would I need?

Foreign adoption is more permanent and possibly much more expensive... having her arrive on a visa as your stepdaughter is certainly an available path.

You should have submitted them together so they get adjudicated together... otherwise you will have potential delays waiting for the stepdaughters to complete...

YMMV

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Ignore the other posters.

A USC can petition for a stepchild if the marriage to the stepchild's parent occurred before the stepchild's 18th birthday. Since you married her mother before her 18th birthday, you can petition for your wife's daughter. She would be an Immediate Relative and receive a visa in about 6-12 months. File Form I-130. Good luck.

Timeline

A USC can petition for a stepchild if the marriage to the stepchild's parent occurred before the stepchild's 18th birthday. Since you married her mother before her 18th birthday, you can petition for your wife's daughter. She would be an Immediate Relative and receive a visa in about 6-12 months. File Form I-130. Good luck.

Why? What new piece of information did you share for the benefit of the OP that was not already posted?.... I apologize if I don't see it...

YMMV

Timeline

Why? What new piece of information did you share for the benefit of the OP that was not already posted?.... I apologize if I don't see it...

The OP does not need to adopt his step-daughter in order to petition for her. You alluded to that but you did not tell him that he can file an I-130 for her now.

Timeline

well, we're going to make the father give up his parental rights, and im going to give her my last name.Would i petition her as my own daughter, or say i adopted her, which im not doing, im just directly giving her my last name, which is not adopting.

Timeline
well, we're going to make the father give up his parental rights, and im going to give her my last name.Would i petition her as my own daughter, or say i adopted her, which im not doing, im just directly giving her my last name, which is not adopting.

based on what you say she is NOT and will not be your "own" child but your stepchild.... that is how you would petition for her.... don't weave a story to the USCIS that is anything less than the truth....

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

i'm not going to lie..... we're going to make the father give up his rights and lasy name for my stepdaughter. and then ill recognize her and give her my last name. all this the legal way. Do i still petition her as my stepdaughter, even if she has my last name? how should i explain it to immigration, and what would i need to show?

Timeline
i'm not going to lie..... we're going to make the father give up his rights and lasy name for my stepdaughter. and then ill recognize her and give her my last name. all this the legal way. Do i still petition her as my stepdaughter, even if she has my last name? how should i explain it to immigration, and what would i need to show?

a name is a name, your name means nothing here... unless you have a copyright to it... you really are not "giving" her your name... you petition based on her true "status"... STEPDAUGHTER

YMMV

Timeline
what if i adopt her after her father gives up his rights and last name?

you seem so hung up on the "name" thing.... the name is not any issue... it is her relationship status to you... adopted or stepchild... the petition process is the SAME.

Difference would be citizenship of the child AFTER arrival.... if adopted she would I believe become a USC after admittance ... if stepchild then citizenship would come later if so chosen

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

First, you can petition for your step-daughter. There is no need for an adoption. However, she will need her father's permission to move to the US as evidence by a legal release. This process takes 6-12 months.

Second, if you decide to pursue an adoption that terminates the father's rights, then you will probably have to do it in Bolivia (or whereever the child is). Terminating the father's rights is a matter of Bolivian law. The adoption process could take a significant amount of time and you still would have to petition for her which takes 6-12 months. An adoption means a longer wait time for her to get to the US. I highly doubt that a US court would terminate his right unless he had a chance to challenge it in the US.

Third, whether she has your last name or not does not matter to the immigration folks. As long a you have a marriage certificate showing that you married her mother before her 18th birthday, you are eligible to petition for your step-daughter. Having your name will not make the process faster or more efficient.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

Okay, last question. So i need the father's permission to bring her here. But what if i give her my last name by terminating the father's parental rights in bolivia. I would not go through the adoption process because he would give up his parental rights over to me without adopting her. In other words, the bolivian court will let me recognize her with ym alst name with him signing the proper documents. I can get a new a birth certificate that way, according to the lawyer in bolivia.

Question is, if i did that would i need permission from the biofather, if he gave up his parental rights in bolivia before i start the process. Like i said, i wont adopt bc it would take longer and more money. We're going to make the father give up his right, and i will recognize her once they take out his last name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.