odette

Application for Social Security Number denied

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

The exact thing happened with me!

Yes it was a pain in the #### to get the Social Security Number. You should have applied before getting married.. I did the same mistake. So now you have to wait for your EAD to get processed. which you will get it in like 2 months. You have to hang in there for 2 months and then reapply using the EAD number. The 2 year green car came pretty quickly.

Sept 10th 2007 - Sent N400 For Naturalization

Sept 15th 2007 - Meet Fiancee online

December 18th 2007 - Left for india to see fiancee

Jan 1st 2008 - Engaged!!!!!!

Jan 15th 2008 - Biometrics Fingerprinted

May 20th 2008 - Naturalized Citizen

May 30th 2008 - Sent I129 F

June 4th 2008 - NOA 1 Received

July 3rd 2008 - Touched

September 6th 2008 - Left for France.

September 23rd 2008 - NOA2 Received

September 27th 2008 - Will leave for Malaysia from paris.

September 28th 2008 - Will meet fiance after 261 days!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 18th 2008 - Will return back to the US after spending 3 weeks with fiancee.

Dec 28th 2008 - Fiancee Visa approved

Jan 1st 2009 - Fiancee landed on US Soil

Jan 6th 2009 - Married

Jan 30th 2009 - Filed for AOS

May 31st 2009 - AOS Approved

NOA1 - Received on June 4th 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
I can't even get a driver's license without SSN so I can't even drive to get groceries.

Not right.

DMV need NOA1 and you get license for 1 year.

Sorry for my english.

Have a good one.

That's true in SOME states, but not all.

I can't even get a driver's license without SSN so I can't even drive to get groceries.

True for some states, but not all.

with just an NOA1? Really? Which states? Just sounds odd to me because the NOA1 is just a receipt that your application was received.

Had a conversation with a VJ member about this recently, she was in CT (I believe).

By the way - do you you have a Canadian DL now? (If so, many states allow you to drive on this - for certain length of time.)

I do have a Canadian Driver's License. But the problem is with the insurance. I don't think my husband can add me in the insurance without a US Driver's License.

Hi there,

I applied for Social Security last Aug. 7, 2009 and got a letter Aug. 28, 2009 saying they are unable to verify my immigration document.

Entered the US (Dallas): May 28, 2009

Married: June 29, 2009

Yes, you need to wait about 2 months.

I thought you can apply for Social Security Number 2 weeks after you enter the US? I just decided to do it after we're married so I can use my married name.

I applied for Adjustment to Permanent Residence and EAD last Aug. 24, 2009.

Got NOA last Aug. 28, 2009.

Anyone has the same experience or advise?

It's just that everything is on hold. I can't even get a driver's license without SSN so I can't even drive to get groceries.

I called SSN and they said they can't verify me and to call Immigration. I called immigration and they said to wait for EAD then apply for SSN.

Thanks!

The SSA will not issue a SSN with less than two weeks of eligibility on your authorized status... in your situation, unless SSA was able to immediately verify your immigration status then the chance of a SSN was not going to happen. They likely would have been able to verify your name as it was on the visa but since you elected to attemp to get a SSN in your "new" name you made it but impossible for them to do the verification in time before your eligibility ran out.

Not a K-1 visa general discussion issue... moving thread to appropriate forum

So I guess the only way to get SSN now is to wait for the EAD?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Not right.

Sorry for my english.

Have a good one.

That's true in SOME states, but not all.

yep, in KY for instance...you need a ss# to get even a permit

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband added me to his state farm auto insurance with my Ontario drivers license, no problem. What insurance company does your spouse use? I would at least call and try to see if you can be added, you might be surprised.

I know someone here in Denver who got married on a K-1 and then attempted to get an SSN after the marriage took place. She was only in the US for less than 3 weeks when she went to apply but they told her they could not process her application since immigration couldn't verify who she was due to the name change. Very strange!

There's someone in the Canada regional forum who recently immigrated to Texas and is encountering some similar problems, perhaps you would get a good answer in there. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.

I live in Dallas, TX.

I read in the Dept of Transportation in Texas website that you need to show SSN for Driver's License. I don't know if there's an exception.

FYI, if you get your DL in Texas with your EAD instead of GC, you will get a "temporary visitor" DL.

My husband opted to wait the few weeks for his GC so he could have the "regular" DL.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166494

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

with just an NOA1? Really? Which states? Just sounds odd to me because the NOA1 is just a receipt that your application was received.

I was asked for my biometric letter not NOA1 to get a driver's license.

When I came here last July 2008, I used my Saskatchewan driver's license to drive and it is legal ( depends on which states)...just call your MVD if you can use your Ontario driver's license temporarily until your green card will get approved.......

Edited by jhunjhun

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks for the replies.

I live in Dallas, TX.

I read in the Dept of Transportation in Texas website that you need to show SSN for Driver's License. I don't know if there's an exception.

No exception - you'll also need your EAD or PR/Green Card here in Texas.

Good news though - if you do have your Canadian DL - Texas will let you legally drive for up to a year.

I do have a Canadian Driver's License. But I don't think that my husband can add me to his insurance without a US Driver's License.

It's possible! My wife added my name to her car insurance as a primary driver because she doesn't have a AZ driver's license. Allstate insurance asked for my SIN# as a substitute.

Edited by jhunjhun

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

Filed: Timeline

I don't know other states. Check this:

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...25200548AA7GOzJ

Maybe this work for you:

* Note 1: If you are not eligible for a Social Security Card, you must provide a letter or form SSA-L676 from the US Social Security Administration (SSA) that states that you are not eligible. The SSA letter or form must have been issued no more than 30 days before the date of your application. You must also show the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documents that the SSA used to determine that you are not eligible for a Social Security Card. The USCIS was formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

See this too:

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?...26528&ty=dl

Trying to help.

Have a good day.-

Filed: Timeline
Hi there,

I applied for Social Security last Aug. 7, 2009 and got a letter Aug. 28, 2009 saying they are unable to verify my immigration document.

I thought you can apply for Social Security Number 2 weeks after you enter the US? I just decided to do it after we're married so I can use my married name.

It's just that everything is on hold. I can't even get a driver's license without SSN so I can't even drive to get groceries.

I called SSN and they said they can't verify me and to call Immigration. I called immigration and they said to wait for EAD then apply for SSN.

If you arrived on May 28, 2009 and applied on August 07,2009, five days after that you were no longer eligible to be assigned an SSN based on your K-1 status. At that point you needed either an I-766 or I-551 stamp or card to be assigned a work authorized SSN.

Now did the SSA office screw up by not processing the application before the 76th day, who knows.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi there,

Thanks!

You waited too long to apply; however, you could apply for EAD, then SSN.

JNR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.