Henia

Ramadan cooking

30 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

This is the macaroni bechamel I make but the bechamel sauce takes patience and love :luv:

http://members.cox.net/ahmedheissa/recmacbe.htm

Macaroni Bachamel (Bechamel)

Bechamel Sauce

Ingredients

1. 3 tablespoons butter

2. 4 heaping tablespoons flour

3. 3 cups cold milk

4. salt and pepper to taste

5. 1 egg (optional)

Procedure

1. Melt butter over a low flame.

2. Add the flour and blend until it becomes a golden color.

3. Remove from flame and add the milk very gradually and blending thoroughly.

4. Return to flame and add salt and pepper to taste stir constantly to prevent the mixture from becoming lumpy until it reaches the desired thickness.

5. Beat an egg and add it to sauce (optional).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Macaroni Bachamel (Bechamel)

Ingredients

1 LB/16 OZ/454 G/ about 1/2 Kilogram) Macaroni (boiled until it becomes soft)

1 stick butter (4 OZ/1/4 LB/113 Grams)

3 soupspoon cheddar shredded cheese

½ LB half cooked hamburger (Lahma Al-sag)

2 cups Bechamel Sauce with cheddar shredded cheese

4 soupspoons tomato paste

Salt and pepper to taste

Water as needed

Procedure

1) Mix tomato paste to the half cooked hamburger (Lahma Al-sag) and add water as needed and cook until the tomato paste is cooked.

2) Coat an oven tray with melted butter.

3) Mix the soft Macaroni with 1 cup Bechamel Sauce.

4) Put half the mix of the soft Macaroni and the Bechamel Sauce in the tray.

5) Spread the mix of the tomato paste and the hamburger (Lahma Al-sag) over the Macaroni.

6) Spread the other half of the mix of the soft Macaroni and the Bechamel Sauce over the hamburger (Lahma Al-sag).

7) Spread the other half of the Bechamel Sauce over the Macaroni.

8) Sprinkle the Macaroni with the 3 soupspoons shredded cheese and melted butter (Samn/Zebdah/Kashtah).

9) Place the oven tray on the bottom shelf of the oven at 350 degrees until it is cooked.

10) Move the tray to the middle oven shelf for a few minutes until the top becomes golden color.

11) Serve it hot.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Timeline

Koshary

2 cups basmati rice washed

2 cups brown lentils washed

2 1/2 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup vermicelli pasta

1 small can of chick peas, drained (optional)

1/2 cup cooked elbow macaroni or any other smallish pasta.

Fry the vermicelli in the butter, when golden brown add the rice and stir till all grains are coated.

Add 3 cups of water bring to a boil, cover and simmer on lowest possible setting.

Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the lentils and cover and cook (really it is a steaming method) on lowest setting until tender (but not until they burst) in the last 10 minutes of cooking add the chickpeas if any.

When the lentils are done drain any remaining liquid.

*note* I sometimes skip the vermicelli/butter part.

Sauce

1 large can of whole peeled or crushed tomatoes

2 Tablespoons hot chili paste (Moroccan harissa or Mexican chipotle in adobo sauce) (or more if you can take it)

1/4 cup of oil

8 cloves of garlic sliced (or more)

3 Tablespoons vinegar

1 Tablepoon of ground cumin

Salt pepper to taste

Fry the sliced garlic in oil until they start changing color.

Add the can of tomatoes and the chili paste, salt and pepper.

Bring to a gentle boil, turn the heat down to low.

Add the cumin and the vinegar, leave it simmering for 15 minutes.

Put it all in the blender to make a smooth mix.

At this point you can still adjust the ingredients to suit your own taste, in particular the garlic, chili and vinegar.

Onion topping

3 large onions sliced into rings.

Put some oil in a large pan add one tablespoon of butter for added taste.

Sautee the onions rings until they turn deep deep brown (just short of charred).

Make sure that the onion rings do not overlap each other so that they can crisp nicely.

If your pan is too small do it in batches.

No part of the onions should be even lightly brown.

Stir to keep them from burning.

This may take 20 minutes or more.

You must taste something that reminds you of candy rather than onions.

Drain on a paper towel and keep others from taking samples.

In my experience that is the one ingredient that runs out the first.

It should be somewhat crispy not soggy and limp.

:luv:

*Flinging kisses at you!*
Edited by Astarte

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Note, lahma el-sagh usually refers to ground meat cooked with diced onions.

Bridget your recipe sounds delicious. I wish bechamel wasn't so heavy, cuz it sounds so good.

I might as well have just planted it on my azz it's sooo fattening!!!! I made it the first day of fasting and omg it was hot as hell in the kitchen and I had to stand there stirring the sauce until it thickened which took like forEVER which is why I say it's a labor of love. That and risotto wipe me out. I need one of those cushioned mats to stand on when I make that stuff or a nice tall chair to sit on. lol

Edited by doodlebugg

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Farid loves avodado milkshakes and everyone here thinks they are yucky.

The avocado milkshake is a staple around here during Ramadan. Though we usually put bananas, strawberries, or peaches in there as well. I think they're great, although we do put a good amount of sugar in there. I think with the avocado, it's key.

Filed: Timeline

Are you talking about kefta (ground meat with spices on a stick)? The chicken kabobs, are they ground too or are you talking about shish tawook?

does anyone have a receipe for kabobs...not the usual cubed kabobs but chicken kabobs or beef where it is all ground up meat?

http://members.cox.net/ahmedheissa/Recipnew.html

Here's a site for Egyptian recipes. ^^^

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Esalaams everyone and Saha saimkoum!

Great sites linked! Love yours Mamamona! And thanks for comment on mine! =) I have it seems alot of time on my hands - well maybe not during Ramadan thou!

I will get the couscous up for Tunezian style couscous April ... different then Algerian - way better!

Share to share ideas and recipes all ... keep them coming ... many more days to go!

BTW linked from my blog are other sites ... with alot GREAT recipes if anyone has time to take look at them!

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline
Farid loves avodado milkshakes and everyone here thinks they are yucky. Farid cooks his fish and I eat whatever. Farid will eat anything I give him, he is a rolly polly.

LOL I love it ROLLY POLLY. I am too!!

Betsy El Sum

Farid loves avodado milkshakes and everyone here thinks they are yucky. Farid cooks his fish and I eat whatever. Farid will eat anything I give him, he is a rolly polly.

I adore avacados, but never heard of a avacado milkshake, whats in it besides avacados?????

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Farid loves avodado milkshakes and everyone here thinks they are yucky.

The avocado milkshake is a staple around here during Ramadan. Though we usually put bananas, strawberries, or peaches in there as well. I think they're great, although we do put a good amount of sugar in there. I think with the avocado, it's key.

I agree on the sugar with the avocado. I think my husband usually makes his with bananas also. I first had an avocado milkshake in Morocco in a shop where there was barely room to stand because of the crowd. All that enthusiasm for nonalcoholic drinks :)

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.