MsSheka

AUGUST I-130 PETITIONS!!

1,447 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Wow, can't help you with that one. Not to sound like a downer, but I would think living in another country illegally would come back to bite you in the butt when you try to get a green card. Can she apply for a Resident Card now?

Finn I second that :thumbs: because the laws of this world changes so often that you never know what's going to be the outcome :unsure:

She can apply for her Resident Card, but it can take longer than 2 years..... I really do not want to wait 2 whole years!!!!!! THIS WHOLE PROCESS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never in a million years I would have thought that it would be this difficult to get MY WIFE here in this country. Sorry to sound negative, but this whole experience has not been fun!!!!

Chance

Durdin, i am so sorry i checked all my resources and no progress unless she has a permanent resident card or she's there legally :(

Edited by MsSheka

02/04/10 Case complete

02/08/10 Interview scheduled

03/12/10 Interview

03/18/10 POE

03/22/10 applied for SSN

04/01/10 received SSN

04/05/10 received welcome letter dated 03/30/10 :)

04/08/10 Card Production Ordered!

04/13/10 Approval Notice Sent! :)

04/15/10 Second Welcome Letter dated 4/8/10?

04/19/10 Card received!! WOOHOO!

loveshower.gif046314001268967245-final.gif

Removing Conditions Timeline (I-751)

2/11/12 Sent

2/14/12 Delivered

2/15/12 Check Cashed

2/15/12 NOA 1

2/21/12 NOA Received by mail

2/27/2012 Biometrics Notice received

3/13/2012 Biometrics

11/6/2012 RFE

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Durdin, you do need to be cognizant of the fact that you have a very difficult situation. Your wife is living in another country illegally. Whatever the reasons for that are, it is a fact nonetheless. It does not seem surprising to me that it would cause you many challenges, and I am a little surprised that you seem to feel differently. If I were in your shoes, faced with such difficulties, I believe that I would locate an attorney who can help you with this situation. Even if she were to return to Bolivia, I bet the US is still going to require a police certificate from Spain. Also, the US will require police certificates from the other countries she has lived in. I would urge you to post your queries to Europe/Eurasia board and see if some Spain-affiliated people can guide you better (especially cluing you in to what kind of legal resources may be available to you).

Other things that occur to me:

1. Have you considered going to Spain and being with her while this gets sorted out? (I realize that circumstances may make this difficult or impossible).

2. Have you at least begun the process of requesting the resident card? (The two years won't start counting down until you do, so each day you wait is another day you tack on).

3. Have you considered going together to Bolivia? (see #1)

I am not sure what other options you have at this point. I do wish you the best of luck.

Mark

Timeline
Durdin, you do need to be cognizant of the fact that you have a very difficult situation. Your wife is living in another country illegally. Whatever the reasons for that are, it is a fact nonetheless. It does not seem surprising to me that it would cause you many challenges, and I am a little surprised that you seem to feel differently. If I were in your shoes, faced with such difficulties, I believe that I would locate an attorney who can help you with this situation. Even if she were to return to Bolivia, I bet the US is still going to require a police certificate from Spain. Also, the US will require police certificates from the other countries she has lived in. I would urge you to post your queries to Europe/Eurasia board and see if some Spain-affiliated people can guide you better (especially cluing you in to what kind of legal resources may be available to you).

1. Have you considered going to Spain and being with her while this gets sorted out? (I realize that circumstances may make this difficult or impossible).

2. Have you at least begun the process of requesting the resident card? (The two years won't start counting down until you do, so each day you wait is another day you tack on).

I am not sure what other options you have at this point. I do wish you the best of luck.

Mark

Mark i agree :thumbs: , i would try to get it resolved before the certificate is actually required because then you won't have much time to correct the issue. :unsure:

02/04/10 Case complete

03/12/10 Interview

03/18/10 POE

03/22/10 applied for SSN

04/01/10 received SSN

2/11/12 Sent

2/14/12 Delivered

2/15/12 Check Cashed

2/15/12 NOA 1

3/13/2012 Biometrics

11/6/2012 RFE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Mark

Mark,

When she moved to Spain, all you needed was valid passport. Since living there, Spain changed their laws, now requiring a Resident Card. She currently is in the process, but Spain's laws are apparently very strict. It takes a long time to get the card. She hates the fact that she is currently residing there illegally while going through the long process.. I am having a hard time understanding why this circumstance seems to be a challenge for us. I am an American who chose to marry someone who is not. It is not like she is trying to come to this country to visit, work or even stay illegally. We are married now. It seems to me that since we are married, she should be able to get on a plane and come here. It is very frustrating for me to grasp this whole process... Since she will not be able to get a police check in Spain, do you think it would benefit us for her to move back to her country where she will not be illegal anymore?? Do you think this move would help our chances of her getting her visa approval? Again, I am new to this whole thing, so I have many questions.. Can you tell I'm frustrated?? :wacko:

Thanks in advance

Chance

Timeline
Mark,

When she moved to Spain, all you needed was valid passport. Since living there, Spain changed their laws, now requiring a Resident Card. She currently is in the process, but Spain's laws are apparently very strict. It takes a long time to get the card. She hates the fact that she is currently residing there illegally while going through the long process.. I am having a hard time understanding why this circumstance seems to be a challenge for us. I am an American who chose to marry someone who is not. It is not like she is trying to come to this country to visit, work or even stay illegally. We are married now. It seems to me that since we are married, she should be able to get on a plane and come here. It is very frustrating for me to grasp this whole process... Since she will not be able to get a police check in Spain, do you think it would benefit us for her to move back to her country where she will not be illegal anymore?? Do you think this move would help our chances of her getting her visa approval? Again, I am new to this whole thing, so I have many questions.. Can you tell I'm frustrated?? :wacko:

Thanks in advance

Chance

Hi Chance,

I can tell your frustrated, certainly. When I said that I was surprised, it was because the circumstances, to me, seem to have all kinds of obvious pitfalls. Really neither here nor there at this point. You are in a situation that should appear obviously challenging to anyone that hears it. It is not as straightforward in the best of circumstances to bring one's foreign spouse to this country, and that becomes more difficult as more weirdness comes into the picture. (Again not real relevant, but I am curious why she didn't take action when they changed the law... water under the bridge). I hope I didn't give the impression that I was passing judgment; it wasn't my intention (but I had second thoughts about this after posting).

I think you are going to have to get a police clearance for her from Spain, regardless of whether she stays or goes. So, whether it is a good idea to return to her home country would depend on the circumstances (for example, if she is in Bolivia and requests a police certificate from Spain for the time she was there, does the Spanish government take a different stance because she is no longer resident).

If this were me, I think I would do the following:

1. Start process today to get resident card.

2. Post today in the Europe/Eurasia board for advice and ESPECIALLY for referrals to good/affordable/trustworthy legal assistance in Spain.

3. Contact said legal assistance as quickly as I could.

4. Learn everything I could about what options are available to me (such as the residency issue I raised above).

5. Begin thinking/discussing options with my wife about how move forward in the future if the US becomes (at least for the time-being) not an option.

That is how I would start.

I truly feel for you and would not wish to be in your position. But the best thing you can do is be patient but diligent. Keep plugging away. Try not to get frustrated. Always be polite and composed (boy isn't that hard to do?). And try to get some knowledgeable advice and counsel (I don't think any of us on this thread are really qualified to help much, given your special circumstances).

Again good luck and keep us in the loop. We can give the best guidance we can (which is what I am trying to do).

Mark

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Who here sent the new version of the 325A and sent only one page? Mark, I don't think I ever asked you that!

Our timeline:

2/88: We met in Sydney, Australia at a youth hostel! He's Finnish, I'm American-both were in our early 20s at the time and fresh out of college (so couldn't afford to visit each other's countries after that!). We had a three-day romance, then went our separate ways. He actually was going to Sydney a week later, but decided at the last minute to cut his trip short in another country and go early. Wow.

1988-1998: Wrote "snail mail" letters/sent Xmas cards, but lived our separate lives. I married someone else, divorced in 2006...he lived with someone for years and then that ended.

10/08: Because of a series of random life events, I Googled my Finn Man and found him (but no link to his email, and the website his name was on was in Estonian so I couldn't even read it!). It took me two weeks to find a link to someone else, who forwarded my email to him (we were both single at the time thankfully!!!!). The email went to his spam folder but he happened to check it that day and responded back to me immediately! This was after 10 years of no contact and almost 21 years of not seeing each other after we first met.

11/08-5/09: We traveled back and forth to visit each other. Love at first (second?) sight!

7/09: Married in Helsinki, Finland...after meeting randomly 21 1/2 years ago and finding each other again!!!!!

8/13/09: I-130 sent!!!!!!!!!

Rest is on my timeline!

Timeline
Who here sent the new version of the 325A and sent only one page? Mark, I don't think I ever asked you that!

I only sent the one page. I assumed that was in line with the whole paperwork reduction stuff. Plus it was only the guides here that talked about the four copies (which was in line with the older version).

Mark

My question is and I am having a hard time getting answer. The USCIS filed my I-130 on 08-04-09 the check went immediately through. Only took 3 days from when I sent it. I have been told I-130 is just as fast as k-3 now by 2 attorneys. What do you guys reccomend. My wife is in Brazil and getting impatient.

I really don't recommend for you to go for K-3, CR-1 is better and worth it since you will not have to do anything about the green card and SSN when your wife arrives here, no hassle on that. I agreed with Paris Heart that last year filers had to wait quite long time on the approval esp for K-3.

It seems you may need to change you Service Center from VSC to CSC. Since CSC was the one who received you application.

I-130/I129f

6/14/2008 Sent to Chicago lockboxt

6/18/2008 received by USCIS

6//27/2008 NOA1

8/14/2009 upgarded the I-130 to immedi Reltive

8/25/2009 send I-129F

9/2/2009 NOA1 for I-129f received

9/10/2009 sent expedite request.

9/16/2009 first Touch since 6/27/2008

9/16 129f and I-130 Approved

9/22 Hard copies received

9/23/2009 NVC received my I29f/K3 still waiting for the I130

9/24 I29f sent to embassy

10/05 NVC case number assigned to my I-130

10/7 received DS3032 and AOS email

10/7 Sent DS-3032 by email and mail.

10/7 paid AOS

10/9/2009 AOS sent

10/9/2009 expedite request accepted, login failed, case sent to the Eabassy

11/22/2009 Interview

11/24/2009 Visa issued

11/29/2009 arrived to the US.

Timeline

I only sent the one page. I assumed that was in line with the whole paperwork reduction stuff. Plus it was only the guides here that talked about the four copies (which was in line with the older version).

Mark

BTW, I am betting they image the docs now. That would very much explain why they no longer need multiple copies.

Timeline

Cool! People are still saying send in four copies, but hey, we followed directions! We're the guinea pigs...

Our timeline:

2/88: We met in Sydney, Australia at a youth hostel! He's Finnish, I'm American-both were in our early 20s at the time and fresh out of college (so couldn't afford to visit each other's countries after that!). We had a three-day romance, then went our separate ways. He actually was going to Sydney a week later, but decided at the last minute to cut his trip short in another country and go early. Wow.

1988-1998: Wrote "snail mail" letters/sent Xmas cards, but lived our separate lives. I married someone else, divorced in 2006...he lived with someone for years and then that ended.

10/08: Because of a series of random life events, I Googled my Finn Man and found him (but no link to his email, and the website his name was on was in Estonian so I couldn't even read it!). It took me two weeks to find a link to someone else, who forwarded my email to him (we were both single at the time thankfully!!!!). The email went to his spam folder but he happened to check it that day and responded back to me immediately! This was after 10 years of no contact and almost 21 years of not seeing each other after we first met.

11/08-5/09: We traveled back and forth to visit each other. Love at first (second?) sight!

7/09: Married in Helsinki, Finland...after meeting randomly 21 1/2 years ago and finding each other again!!!!!

Rest is on my timeline!

Timeline

Mark

I sent the old version :blush:

02/04/10 Case complete

03/12/10 Interview

03/18/10 POE

03/22/10 applied for SSN

04/01/10 received SSN

2/11/12 Sent

2/14/12 Delivered

2/15/12 Check Cashed

2/15/12 NOA 1

3/13/2012 Biometrics

11/6/2012 RFE

Timeline

Mark

That's no prob, MsSheka. Instructions say specifically that previous versions are accepted. You're fine....

Mark :)

Timeline

Mark

That's no prob, MsSheka. Instructions say specifically that previous versions are accepted. You're fine....

Mark :)

Ok thanks Mark :thumbs: my dad was saying that too so i'm not really worried :blush:

02/04/10 Case complete

03/12/10 Interview

03/18/10 POE

03/22/10 applied for SSN

04/01/10 received SSN

2/11/12 Sent

2/14/12 Delivered

2/15/12 Check Cashed

2/15/12 NOA 1

3/13/2012 Biometrics

11/6/2012 RFE

Timeline

Ms. Sheka, I forgot to add that my husband's was the old version and mine was the new one!!!! He did his before the new one was online...

Our timeline:

Rest is on my timeline!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.