Montana + Joseph

Help understanding I-129F

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hey guys, ya'll can't be so old that you can't remember what it was like to be 17 and SOOOOOOO sure that you are right. Especially with the support of her parents, do you think anything we say will sway her? Would it have swayed you??? Not me. Anyway, I feel for her - sure she's lucky if she's found "The One" so early, but to never be independent or out on her own...It will or it won't work out, but she's going to do it anyway. And really, with long distance relationships, there always comes a time when you have to take the plunge.

To the OP: The idea that this paperwork is so difficult that you can't go to college at the same time is just plain blowing things out of proportion. The effort we are talking about is on the scale of a long weekend. Most of the "processing" time is spent sitting around waiting. The vast majority of the other petitioners here have full time jobs and hold our lives (grocery shopping, lawn mowing, bill paying, raising kids... etc) together in addition to completing our visa process. Now, if you're getting a job instead of going to college, maybe that's a different story. Then perhaps you can afford to support your fiance until he finds work as well, which would be commendable.

All the best...

It's hard to tell whether you mean well through this post or not. I think it's rude how you quickly stereotype me as a "classic teenager". Not every teenager is the same and you know absolutely nothing about me or my relationship. If I wasn't sure about this, we wouldn't be going through all the paperwork, money, tears & frustration to get him here. I have a decent job right now & I plan on keeping it. I'm done with school in January & plan on working full time until I start college anyways. I never said that I was going to put off college & quit work. The paperwork is not the only reason I would put off going to college for a FEW months, but those are reasons I care not to share on the internet. We have sorted the issue now anyways.

Hah - I'd just like to point out that "screw you all, I'm going to follow my heart no matter what you say" is the Hallmark of a teenager. I'm confused why you think that this is somehow insulting. Many people would go back to their teens if they could! Stop wasting your time being defensive and enjoy yourself. I wish I had known Nik earlier in my life so we could have more time, but on the other side, I'm glad that I have had years to live solo too. Each person's life experiences will be different, and not surprisingly, I happen to prefer my own.

By the way, your earlier comment, "I'll most likely post pone college til the spring or fall of 2011 to ensure we have all the proper paperwork, etc. ready by the time we have to, you know?" is what prompted mine - just makes it sound like those were the only two considerations. I know you'd said the process was confusing and overwhelming, but planning 2 years for it seemed excessive.

thanks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
wow, you were 11 when you met the love of your life?

All I'm asking is for some help from other people who are going through the same thing we are & might have a better understanding than we do at this point. I didn't sign up to be judged or criticized because of my age.

I didn't see that comment as being judged or criticised.... I think meeting your partner at 11 is great. There's plenty of people on here getting married after 6 months chatting online and still yet to meet face2face! LOL

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

i just happened upon this thread and wanted to throw in my two cents. this process is a mother %$#@@*&! when you love someone and want to be with that person pronto, it is the most frustrating thing to have to wait because of what someone else decides. To a certain degree-someone else is in control of your lovelife! the paperwork can be handled without a lawyer if you do your research and triple check it all before sending it in. i know becuz i've been thru the process twice- once with an attorney and the last time , i did it myself-thru research, past experience and the help of this site [ VJ ]. we got approved last month and it feels great. You can do it. But Dont expect to speak to anyone at USCIS though- you wont get much help there. the waiting is very VERY frustrating, so be ready for that. Now about the age thing- when i was 19 i was with someone and no one could tell me i wasnt going to spend the rest of my life with that person-then. today i know she lives in Vegas and thats about all i know. i say this to say, i [ and most on here ] are not judging your age or relationship- most of us have been there. But this [ K-1 ] process is a lesson in patience and waiting and thru time if your relationship is meant to be- it will be. Work on it becuz, believe me, you will have the time. [ if you are lucky a k-1 takes 6 months ] on the other hand, most relationships are tested over that period and if its not meant to be- you will have dodged a bullet. Bottom line- since you cant get a straight answer about filing age, just wait until you are 18 and then file and dont risk having to re-file if you are too young. and having enough income is a real issue. check the guidelines of being above the poverty line. You have to make enough to support him in the government's eyes.....Good Luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.