Peachey

Is this too much to ask?

137 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

wow, thats crazy!! I have no real advice. I just know that if my wifes parents did something like that, (which they wouldn't) I wouldn't be spending xmas with them! Simple as that

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I wouldn't even be asking your Mom what Varba's Mom said...I'd just tell your Mom she's going to be with you, phone Varba's Mom and tell her "Christmas" is off, you're spending it with you Mom. End of story, end of compromising, end of your in-laws involvement. This is going to be a problem for the REST OF YOUR LIVES. This is not just a "Christmas" thing at all anymore.

EXACTLY.

I'd have such a major problem with this and as Carla said, this is not just Christmas..this is something you are going to be dealing with for the rest of your lives it looks like.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Well if my mom doesn't help me move, I don't want to have our "quicky" wedding until she can be there. That means getting my own health insurance for over a month AND if we do go to NC to celebrate xmas, Varba's parents won't let us stay in the same room.

It just seems to be getting more complicated. I'm starting to think we should move very far away. Maybe Varba's company can open another office in Hawaii or something.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline
Varba's parents won't let us stay in the same room.

Some people are traditionalist. My parents didn't let my husband and I sleep in the same bed until we were married in their house. We were okay with that out of respect.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Varba's parents won't let us stay in the same room.

Some people are traditionalist. My parents didn't let my husband and I sleep in the same bed until we were married in their house. We were okay with that out of respect.

Yes, they are very traditional and if we were staying in their house we would not stay in the same room. However we will be staying in a hotel, and we cannot afford to rent 2 hotel rooms.

We'll see what comes out of it. Varba's told me we are not to worry about cmas and if we can't make it, then too bad.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Filed: Timeline

I feel terrible for all 3 of you..... your Mom, yourself, and Varba. But, honestly.... your MIL has gone too far. She has now made your Mom feel bad, which is something you were trying to avoid doing. I'm afraid the gloves would be off at this point. Either you or Varba need to ask her what she said to your Mom so you can determine the extent of the damage and what to do about it. This is the type of thing that divorces are made of.

iagree.gif

Yeah, Varba can divorce his mom. Do people still do that?

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Timeline

It can draw families apart and it can ruin marriages.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I can understand his family wanting you to be a part of their family celebrations, but at the cost of your relationship with your mother? That is unacceptable, plain and simple. As has been said before, this isn't just going to be about x-mas and will surely persist. I would cut this situation off at the knees and tell his mother "Thank you for the invitation, but I will spend x-mas with my mother". Well, I would probably say something a lot more snide, but thats just me.

Timeline

I wanted to say how bad I feel for you.

You barely know them and they already treat you like #######.

You cannot allow them to keep treating you like that. It will get worse much much worse.

Compromising is just showing them they can control you.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 months later...

Well Christmas is finally over.

The drive down to NC was long, but it was nice there, got up to 65 degrees yesterday.

Anyway, Varba voiced his concerns with his sister before we left and then with his mom after we got back. He suggested that because all of our families are so spread apart, that if someone is down or up to visit around any holiday that they be invited to family events. AKA if they were in Canada for Christmas they would be invited to Christmas with my family, and if my mom was down for the 4th of July, she would be invited to family activities.

Well his sister didn't sound very happy about it but said she would think about it. His mom didn't quite understand because she did invite my mom over after I moved n stuff. His dad understood and then I explained why I was hurt, and how I felt and then she felt really bad. I think mom is on board with our plan.

Anyway, thanks for all your encouragement in the past few months. It's finally over, and I can enjoy my new xmas presents!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

hopefully everything is worked out..

it just seems weird that it had to be explained...

I know my in-laws would just assume that my family was coming if they were down visiting me around the holidays...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Wow

i read through the entire thread...and all I can say is WOW...

Dumb question.....it seems that everyone is now onboard...with the exception of the sister...is she just a spoiled brat who has always gotten her own way??? Seriously....if either my sister or my hubby's sister pulled that, I can guarentee the reply would have been... "well tough Sh*t.. deal with it or guess we will see YOU next Xmas!"

But I am happy that everything worked out and your fiance sounds like one hell of a man!! Good luck and best wishes!!!

April 8, 2007- Met on-line playing World of Warcraft...Me a troll he a Tauren

10/11/2008 Married in Lakewood Washington

USCIS

12/08/2008 CR-1/I-130 mailed

12/19/2008 NOA1

03/09/2009 NOA2

03/09/2009 I-130 approved

NVC

03/19/2009 NVC case # generated

09/25/2009 Completed at NVC

01/11/2010 Interview Assigned..flight and hotel booked same day.

01/20/2010 Medical in Vancouver....no issues reported

02/05/2010 Interview in Montreal..APPROVED..with a few tears at the end!!

02/11/2010 POE...Peace Arch or PAC

thm_thm_php8UO03s.jpg

event.png

I think what happened is MIL doesn't get to see SIL as much as she wants, so she was very concerned about pleasing her.

All weekend it was "SIL what's the plan?", "SIL, what do you want to do?" and things of that nature.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Timeline

Really happy that you guys were able to air things out through discussion - that is just the best and will bode well for future family situations that everyone knows they can talk openly :)

So great!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.