:lol:

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Andorra
Timeline

After reading this thread, I suddenly don't feel so bad about my family trying so hard to include my wife in every little thing :blush:

If I were in your situation, I would simply not attend their christmas function and spend it with my mom.

Indy.gif

Well we were almost at that point where we weren't going to attend any kind of function. Varba will be sure to let his sister know that this is NOT going to become a pressident or we won't be attending.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

good. I'm glad you guys are both working through this so well and putting your feet down. You definately don't want them to get in the habit of just expecting you to bow to their wishes. I hope they realize just how much they are sucking the joy out of this holiday by imposing things like this.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

This is crazy. I feel sorry for you guys that his mom and sister are such a pain in the a$$ about this.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

MIL came up with something last night. She said something about feeling bad that the SIL and her husband are always buying plane tickets to come up (even tho it's only an 8 hour drive...) and asked if we'd be willing to drive down there for Christmas. I promptly informed her it would HAVE to be after my mom leaves to go home, I am not leaving her stranded here. She said Ok, and wants to do like a long weekend.

The only thing I see wrong with this is my mom wants to meet Varba's sister... oh well.

I'm thinking too, my future BIL (sis's husband) doesn't like the MIL too much... he's not going to like having her down for Christmas! I would hate for him to be miserable because I really like him.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Update!

MIL came up with something last night. She said something about feeling bad that the SIL and her husband are always buying plane tickets to come up (even tho it's only an 8 hour drive...) and asked if we'd be willing to drive down there for Christmas. I promptly informed her it would HAVE to be after my mom leaves to go home, I am not leaving her stranded here. She said Ok, and wants to do like a long weekend.

The only thing I see wrong with this is my mom wants to meet Varba's sister... oh well.

I'm thinking too, my future BIL (sis's husband) doesn't like the MIL too much... he's not going to like having her down for Christmas! I would hate for him to be miserable because I really like him.

So they get their Christmas celebration, while still excluding your Mom. I wonder if they have considered (i'm sure they haven't) that you now have to keep all of this a secret from your Mom - the arguing about it, the fact that they don't want to celebrate Christmas with her, the fact that they have now manipulated the situation so that she absolutely can't be there (by having it 8 hours away) - that's lovely.

Oh and I wouldn't worry too much about your BIL, no doubt he has been putting up with this for a while.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
It's more disturbing that they wouldn't want your mother involved and very rude indeed. :(

I agree. A bunch of control freaks!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

oops, this goes in the wedding thread. My bad.

Edited by Peachey

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think sometimes people dig their heels in about something and when they're called out on it, they defend their stance at all costs, no matter how ridiculous it may appear to everyone else. Maybe the sister and mother-in-law are afraid they would look like pushovers if they succombed to the challange of their position to have a "family only" holiday meal.

At any rate, you MUST post when Christmas is over so we can see if everyone saw the error of their ways! I have a feeling it will all work out when the holiday mood hits.

Jo-Anne

• 1 month later...

So I just got off the phone with my mom. She told me she talked to Varba's mom last night to thank her for the stuff she supplied for my wedding shower. She also said they also talked about Christmas...

Well I'm thinking V's mom said something to my mom because it sounds like my mom doesn't want to help me move now because it'll avoid some "problems"...

:crying: ####### is wrong with people.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Timeline
So I just got off the phone with my mom. She told me she talked to Varba's mom last night to thank her for the stuff she supplied for my wedding shower. She also said they also talked about Christmas...

Well I'm thinking V's mom said something to my mom because it sounds like my mom doesn't want to help me move now because it'll avoid some "problems"...

:crying: ####### is wrong with people.

:o can you ask your mom if something was said? If so I would totally be confronting V's mom about the fact that you may end up having to move alone because she is being selfish.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

I agree, its so stupid of Varba's mom to be acting like this and causing you so much hurt Peachy, I am truely sorry. I had talked to Wes about your case and he was shocked too, theres no way we could think to exclude my family if they were down for the holidays either. *hugs*

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

I wouldn't even be asking your Mom what Varba's Mom said...I'd just tell your Mom she's going to be with you, phone Varba's Mom and tell her "Christmas" is off, you're spending it with you Mom. End of story, end of compromising, end of your in-laws involvement. This is going to be a problem for the REST OF YOUR LIVES. This is not just a "Christmas" thing at all anymore.

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.