Lover500

DCFs from Cairo getting stuck in AP?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here has gone the DCF route in Cairo. Just wanting to know how many people actually get through without getting stuck in AP. Our 1 year anniversary is October 13th, and we want to be able to celebrate it in the US, but if we get stuck in AP, we wont be able to. If anyone has been through DCF in Cairo, let me know. I would love to hear your stories, and tips. Thanks so much.

Consulate : Egypt

Visit Egypt : 2008-06-25

Marriage : 2008-10-13

I-130 Sent : 2009-07-15

Approved : 2009-07-15 Alhamdulilah

Packet 3 Received : 2009-07-21

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-08-04

Packet 4 Received : 2009-08-15

Interview Date : 2009-08-24 APPROVED with no AP

Visa Received : 2009-08-28

Entry into the USA : 2009-10-05 Insha Allah

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We filed DCF thru Cairo. Start to finish was 1 year. Time in AP after visa interview was 6 months.

It's a process going thru Cairo. There is no set date for how long someone is in AP. It just

takes time. It's hard waiting, but just have patience.

Good luck on your journey and your upcoming interview!!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

I think there's only been one DCF/Cairo (J & M) that I know of that didn't get AP. She knew him for seven years, had been in Egypt for almost three years. They got married in December, filed in February, and arrived in the US in July. The time in between was spent waiting around for other people (sponsor papers, tax returns, etc.). No AP, though. That's the only one I'm aware of, but then I don't know every single couple who's filed DCF through Cairo.

I talked to J tonight, actually. They've both settled in well and M is content. :star:

IHQ!!! Wow really? Now I am worried!! There is a whole bunch of us going next week!!! AGRRR

Well my sister has been married to my husbands brother for 8 years now!! Ive known Ayman longer then that!!! I was raised here for 8 years!!! Here is hoping!!!

Good luck to everyone!! Dont forget everyone to post after your interviews!!!

IHQ.. you guys get any further?

I think you're going to be sorry you asked.

At his interview, the IO wanted 2008 taxes from me. Well, in order to do the tax return, both spouses have to have either an ITIN or a social security number. I have a social security number, but my husband has neither. We did send off to the IRS for an ITIN, but they wanted identification documentation, which included either a notarized copy of his passport (by an American notary - how does one find one of those in Egypt?) or his passport. He needs his passport for the visa process, so he didn't send it. The IRS sent a letter back that said no notarized copy/original passport, no ITIN. That makes sense, right? So, he took the letter to the interview. I thought a letter from the US government would be sufficient, but the Embassy wanted something else, which is fine. The IO told him, two times, and a man that works there told him once to send a letter explaining the 2008 taxes and gave him a paper about domicile (I knew that was coming and it's not a big deal). The letter went to the Embassy, explaining the ITIN/passport thing - as well as the mention this would be better served by an American tax professional anyway, went out the next day by DHL. They got the package. I know this because I traced it.

Yesterday, he sent an email asking for a status update. Hey, he has to learn how to do these things on his own. His self-confidence about all things English, except talking to me about everything there is to talk about, is zero, so this is a big deal. I watched over his shoulder and helped him along, but he did it.

Today he gets an email response. The Embassy needs 1040 and Affidavit of Support and domicile. How? They got the letter they told him THREE times would suffice and they've had the Affidavit of Support. The domicile is no big deal (although it took me forever to get him to understand I don't have to apply for a social security number like it says on the paper they gave him because I already have one) because :star: I'm going home! :star:

Anyway, the 1040 and Affidavit of Support is a huge deal.

Here's what I think happened. I've read plenty of Egyptian English (no offense, but sometimes you can just tell) and I'm pretty sure that's what it was. What I think they did was looked in a computer instead of in the physical file and wrote what they saw (1040, domicile) and wrote what they thought it meant. And, instead of "1040 for Affidavit of Support" they wrote "1040 and Affidavit of Support." It has to be a mistake because there's no way two different people would tell him one thing then later, after he's out the door and we've given them what they asked for, someone else changes the rules and they now want something different. My husband, however, believes what he read because it came from the Embassy, even though it didn't make any sense, so it was quite the dramatic evening.

Okay, so an email went back saying hey, you have those things and the domicile stuff is coming soon, which it is. If they don't answer tomorrow or don't have the right answer, I'll call them tomorrow after I wake up from sleeping in because I'm totally playing hookie from work.

Yeah, we're a little further along. Almost finished, I'd say. They've had the I-130 so I think if there was going to be A/P they should have or could have started and maybe finished that a long time ago, but I don't know.

Shhhhhhhh. Don't tell my job this, but it appears my flight out of here is probably going to be September 9th. I wasn't really even thinking about it until J started talking about driving and Mexican food and coming and going as she pleased and walking down the street without being stared at or proposed to. That made me want it really bad, for the first time since I've been here, because I used to have that life and I miss it. Now I'm ready, so I'm asking for everybody's prayers, crossed fingers, rubbing lucky rabbits feet and/or childrens' and/or bald/balding heads, amulets, four leaf clovers, whatever you got because I am SO READY to go.

Timeline

I think you're going to be sorry you asked.

At his interview, the IO wanted 2008 taxes from me. Well, in order to do the tax return, both spouses have to have either an ITIN or a social security number. I have a social security number, but my husband has neither. We did send off to the IRS for an ITIN, but they wanted identification documentation, which included either a notarized copy of his passport (by an American notary - how does one find one of those in Egypt?) or his passport. He needs his passport for the visa process, so he didn't send it. The IRS sent a letter back that said no notarized copy/original passport, no ITIN. That makes sense, right? So, he took the letter to the interview. I thought a letter from the US government would be sufficient, but the Embassy wanted something else, which is fine. The IO told him, two times, and a man that works there told him once to send a letter explaining the 2008 taxes and gave him a paper about domicile (I knew that was coming and it's not a big deal). The letter went to the Embassy, explaining the ITIN/passport thing - as well as the mention this would be better served by an American tax professional anyway, went out the next day by DHL. They got the package. I know this because I traced it.

Yesterday, he sent an email asking for a status update. Hey, he has to learn how to do these things on his own. His self-confidence about all things English, except talking to me about everything there is to talk about, is zero, so this is a big deal. I watched over his shoulder and helped him along, but he did it.

Today he gets an email response. The Embassy needs 1040 and Affidavit of Support and domicile. How? They got the letter they told him THREE times would suffice and they've had the Affidavit of Support. The domicile is no big deal (although it took me forever to get him to understand I don't have to apply for a social security number like it says on the paper they gave him because I already have one) because :star: I'm going home! :star:

Anyway, the 1040 and Affidavit of Support is a huge deal.

Here's what I think happened. I've read plenty of Egyptian English (no offense, but sometimes you can just tell) and I'm pretty sure that's what it was. What I think they did was looked in a computer instead of in the physical file and wrote what they saw (1040, domicile) and wrote what they thought it meant. And, instead of "1040 for Affidavit of Support" they wrote "1040 and Affidavit of Support." It has to be a mistake because there's no way two different people would tell him one thing then later, after he's out the door and we've given them what they asked for, someone else changes the rules and they now want something different. My husband, however, believes what he read because it came from the Embassy, even though it didn't make any sense, so it was quite the dramatic evening.

Okay, so an email went back saying hey, you have those things and the domicile stuff is coming soon, which it is. If they don't answer tomorrow or don't have the right answer, I'll call them tomorrow after I wake up from sleeping in because I'm totally playing hookie from work.

Yeah, we're a little further along. Almost finished, I'd say. They've had the I-130 so I think if there was going to be A/P they should have or could have started and maybe finished that a long time ago, but I don't know.

Shhhhhhhh. Don't tell my job this, but it appears my flight out of here is probably going to be September 9th. I wasn't really even thinking about it until J started talking about driving and Mexican food and coming and going as she pleased and walking down the street without being stared at or proposed to. That made me want it really bad, for the first time since I've been here, because I used to have that life and I miss it. Now I'm ready, so I'm asking for everybody's prayers, crossed fingers, rubbing lucky rabbits feet and/or childrens' and/or bald/balding heads, amulets, four leaf clovers, whatever you got because I am SO READY to go.

Wow, it sounds like youre having a bit of trouble :( I feel sorry for you. I hope our interview on the 24th goes much better than that. Good luck to you both, and i hope you get approved soon :)

I guess alot of us are getting things done at the same time. My flight is schedule for the 15th, and our interviews are all close to eachother lol. And i miss mexican food too :( I made a few tacos here, but its not the same xD

@ Yasmina

If you get put in AP, I'm going to be depressed :( You've been here longer than me, and have a baby. If they AP you theyre nuts....I dont know what else they want from people to prove their marriage is real lol. Good luck on your interview, I hope all goes well. And dont forget to let me know. My husbands interview is the next day. Im excited, and scared at the same time. But Insha Allah, everything will go well.

Also anyone doing the DCF route from Cairo, dont forget to let us know how your interviews go! Thanks so much guys.

@ Yasmina

If you get put in AP, I'm going to be depressed :( You've been here longer than me, and have a baby. If they AP you theyre nuts....I dont know what else they want from people to prove their marriage is real lol. Good luck on your interview, I hope all goes well. And dont forget to let me know. My husbands interview is the next day. Im excited, and scared at the same time. But Insha Allah, everything will go well.

Also anyone doing the DCF route from Cairo, dont forget to let us know how your interviews go! Thanks so much guys.

No offense, but having a baby/being pregnant isn't proof of a bonafide relationship because (work with me here) how does the IO know who's baby that is? Personally, I wouldn't rest my laurels on that and that alone but work on other clear proofs instead (pictures, pictures, affadavits, more pictures, etc.).

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

its important to remember that there are many reasons for AP besides 'validity of relationship'.... if there is a name hit in any one of the many government databases for example. Personally I think its safer for everyone with a MENA male spouse to just plan on having some kind of AP/AR and not see it as a huge unexpected blow. It seems to come in 90% of the cases (guessing at that statistic). I see it as just another step in the visa process and although its frustrating because of the seeming randomness of how and why and for how long someone will have it, it should still be planned on and prepared for instead of coming as a big surprising disappointment. I explained to my husband from the very beginning that there would be a review period after the interview, so when it happened exactly that way we both took it in stride.

Edited by sara535

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Ok that scares me!! The baby does look like him and he is the father of the baby!! I have been in Egypt the whole duration of my Engagement and wedding...I am half Egyptian..I went to school here.My sis is married with two kids to his older brother!! Last tme the lady wouldnt even look at pictures...Emails there are none as we lived together for our two years weve been married..Im not leaving Egypt with out my hubby...Im not going all the way to Florida with a baby on my own...

Hubby has a job lined up!! Im praying the contract comes trough before Sunday!! We so lucked out on that one!! I have no plans to work till my baby gets bigger...

Now Im seriously scared!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yasmina I don't think you have anything to worry about. You have ties to Egypt that many others don't. Aren't you half Egyptian to begin with? The rest of the stuff you said puts you with stronger ties then those who met their Husbands on the internet and flew there with no prior history or ties to Egypt.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Yup my father is Egyptian...I spent ages 12-19 here in Egypt when dad died we went home..I moved back after I finished college!...I speak Arabic..I read and write it too...I hope so!! Thank you flower!!! Hubby and I own our apartment here he insisted that my name be on the apartment...

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
Ok that scares me!! The baby does look like him and he is the father of the baby!! I have been in Egypt the whole duration of my Engagement and wedding...I am half Egyptian..I went to school here.My sis is married with two kids to his older brother!! Last tme the lady wouldnt even look at pictures...Emails there are none as we lived together for our two years weve been married..Im not leaving Egypt with out my hubby...Im not going all the way to Florida with a baby on my own...

Hubby has a job lined up!! Im praying the contract comes trough before Sunday!! We so lucked out on that one!! I have no plans to work till my baby gets bigger...

Now Im seriously scared!!!

but again, oftentimes the purpose of AP/AR is not at all about the validity of the relationship or whether or not they believe you have a kid together, or whether or not he has a job lined up (although thats cool if he does, it'll probably make his adjustment here a lot easier). There are numerous law enforcement and state department watch lists and name databases that are checked that can trigger further review.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Timeline

Well hopefully, for my husband, and everyone else here who has an interview soon, things will go well. Even if there is AP let's pray that it goes smoothly. 3 days til our interview x.x Goodluck everyone :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.