David-and-Mae

Computer problem

30 posts in this topic

Start by doing one of these 2 things.

1. Plug the monitor into your notebook and see if it messes up there, if it does its the monitor OR 2. Get your neighbors monitor and plug into your computer if it works its your monitor.

Edited by thepizzadude

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Thanks all for the replies... Unfortunately, even if I want to poke around and restore everything to its original settings before the problem started, the monitor doesn't stay long enough to see what's going on. Like I said, it only comes on in a blink of an eye then black out (the power button's on so I know it's not in a sleep mode). Our monitor is Hp vs17 LCD monitor and it's only 3 years old (the entire desktop) and we seldom use it. When you turn the computer on, it boots normally except the monitor only stays on for a second then I have to turn the monitor off then on again just to see what's going on. No, it doesn't have a beeping sound like a computer would do if the videocard is failing. Most of our neighbors are using laptops so there's no way we can plug our monitor to theirs. I was thinking of plugging the monitor in this notebook but from what I've read somewhere, my notebook has to have 2 video card ports (???).

Anyway, we'll see what the computer tech would say. It's driving my husband crazy when something's not working around the house.

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

did you try going into safe mode?

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Just last week , I also had almost the same problem as you. And was so worried of loseing all my documents !! It turned out to be my video card. Had it back and runing the next day. Hopefully ur problem is simple !

Good luck

u9vmq44n58.gif

'It's not how much you give or what you say, it is how much love you give in what you do'

as1czXHFg2B1530MjEyODc2c3wwMDAyNDNsfFNpbmNlIHdlIHdlcmUgbWFycmllZA.gif

did you try going into safe mode?

Yes I did... same thing, monitor came on for a second, went black like it's off, had to turn it on and off just to see what's happening. It baffles me that when I turn the tower on, everything seems doing ok, loading and all that, except as soon as I turn the computer on, the monitor just comes on for a second. It's running right now except you cannot see anything unless you play with the monitor's power button. I also checked the BIOS (pretty frustrating since I can only see things by turning the monitor on and off) and everything seems fine, no changes whatsoever. And that box showing the monitor status is still there and it says it's active and with proper setting.

Just last week , I also had almost the same problem as you. And was so worried of loseing all my documents !! It turned out to be my video card. Had it back and runing the next day. Hopefully ur problem is simple !

Good luck

That's my suspicion too... the videocard's failing.

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

Can you see if the fan is turning on the vid card?

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

not all video cards have fans.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I opened the CPU and both two fans are working. Just curious though... does one of the fans really make a loud noise when you turn the tower on? It's just a quick distinct noise then everything's quite except a sound that tells you that windows' being loaded.

Edited by David-and-Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

Filed: Timeline

I opened the CPU and both two fans are working. Just curious though... does one of the fans really make a loud noise when you turn the tower on? It's just a quick distinct noise then everything's quite except a sound that tells you that windows' being loaded.

The CPU fan generally spins up really fast, then settles down. But if it's noisy, it may need some attention.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Whenever I have an issue with my computer I open it up and clean it, especially the area's around the fans and the fans themselves, it's amazing how much dust you'll find on the blades. Nine times out of 10 that solves my problems. Some computers when they are overheaing will shut down certain parts (usually all parts however) as a means of staying cool. The fact that your fan is making noise when it first starts is a good indicator that it needs some TLC.

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The CPU fan generally spins up really fast, then settles down. But if it's noisy, it may need some attention.

a can of blonde brains (compressed air) should help get rid of the dust bunnies.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I am begining to think it is the video card. Is the video card on the mother board or do you have a card in a slot?

Everything's built in so I guess it's all part of the mother board. I so like the old towers where you can remove the cards from the slots, clean it then put it back in. I guess I have tried everything that you guys suggested here and none worked so I'm giving up. I'll just wait for the tech to check it this weekend and see what he thinks. Then I'll post an update whether it's the monitor or video card... it could also be my cat's been playing with the cables while we were gone for two weeks. :wacko:

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You guys are thinking about a hundred years ago, more likely like ten when a monitor had a real power switch on it. Everything today is software controlled and that includes the monitor.

Storing data on your computer, especially on the root drive is crazy, if Windows becomes corrupted, you are as good as dead, you have to make backups. Is tantamount to leaving bag full of money on the hood of your car and expecting it to be there when you get back. You have to have at least two computers, with a good computer, can connect the hard drive to a working computer and providing the hard drive is still good, can have a bad motor, IC or anything to prevent it from working, you can retrieve your data. If not, you can hope an pray by having an identical hard drive, can switch the electronics and pray it works. This is in lieu of doing what you should have done in the first place, make backups. Our immigration, IRS, and other important data is not only on four different computers, but also burnt to a couple CD's. With a motor failure, far more complicated to remove the disks from a defective hard drive and install it on an identical good hard drive. Not exactly a DIY project as you need special jigs to hole the many heads in place. Outfits will do this for you, but be prepared to pay a very stiff fee.

Had a computer just like yours where the monitor would switch on, kid was downloading MP3's off the net loaded with viruses, first told him, this is illegal, FBI is watching you, second, was able to retrieve his important data, myspace is yet another site where you are opened to be shot at. Then I reformated his drive, and reinstalled Windows after checking his drive out for any errors, yes there is software for that. All was okay again, installed a backup drive and informed him to store his data their.

Thinking way back, like over twenty years, only found one video card that was actually bad, did find many broken pins in monitor connectors, care must be used in installing them straight in. What does PC stand for? Poor connectors is one of them, all use poorly plated edge connectors that turn a light brownish color and can be cleaned with a #2 pencil eraser head, but not too firm, you will remove the rest of the plating. This especially applies to the RAM. But the biggest problem is software. Not only a problem with the zillions of viruses on the net, but mostly they become obsolete after a couple of years, tossed many a good computer for this reason alone.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's the update about our computer problem. After having a professional technician checked on it last weekend, we found out that it was indeed the monitor that's causing the problems. So we got a new one yesterday and everything's working fine again. We also bought another 3-year extended warranty to it in case it will break down on us after a year or two.

Thanks guys for helping! :thumbs:

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA