littlepoem

to become an american citizen or not

245 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Danu, I believe that for Germany if you apply for permission you can be allowed to keep your German citizenship as well. I have read of others doing that here - it might be worth investigating.

I don't know if I will have my oath ceremony tomorrow as well or not. Atlanta does do same day oath ceremonies but the ceremonies are at 2 o'clock and people start arriving for them at 1 o'clock. My interview is at 1:05 so I don't know if I will be finished in time for the cut off or not. I suspect I will have a later oath ceremony and not make the same day one just from the logistics of everything.

Thanks for the good wishes - I am going over all of the civics questions again and just hope I don't freeze up on the answers tomorrow!

Problem is I have dual citizenship with Canada by birth. Theres no way they would let me be a tri-citizen.

Good luck with everything for tomorrow though hon! I'm sure you will do just fine!

There are some people that actually have tri-citizenships. A guy on another board has Pakistani, Canadian and American citizenships now. Just need to get it in countries that allow it. Unfortunatly like Danu, Germany is one of the strict ones like India and Peru where they do make you choose.

Getting American Citizenship for a Canadian I don't think is a big deal. I don't see why people are so worried about standing there saying an oath and then being done with it. Maybe it's just a mental thing thinking they're betraying their homeland or something, but honestly it's just a government document. It's not like anyone will ever make you fight against Canada or anything.

Definalty has it's benefits. I go through US customs so easily now, and have more of an issue at the Canadian ones with all the questions they ask me. I'm sure it's because in my US passport it does say country of birth in it, so they know I'm not a full blooded American. But last time comming back into the US the guy looked and scanned my passport and didn't even say a single word to me and waved me through. That was great.

The only people I can see seriously debating the issue would be those that do have to give up their former countries citizenship. But for those that are allowed to keep it, I just don't see why the huge issue. Maybe it's just me as I had never had any ties to Canada and never thought of myself as Canadian, so going through the citizenship was one of the greatest days of my life to be finally and American. Though I have a co-worker whose Canadian and has more Canadian ties, likes canada etc and he didn't have any thoughts or issues becomming a citizen either...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Country: Andorra
Timeline

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but I find it a bit disturbing some of the reasons posed here for taking citizenship over remaining a permanent resident. I fully respect anyones decision and passion for their home nation, but why would you actively seek citizenship for a country for convenience? That seems quite disingenuous to me. Maybe I take the citizenship oath a bit too literally, but you are swearing to it when you take the oath.

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."
Indy.gif

]

Why? Don't you think it's enough that we pay thousands of dollars just to immigrate, live and work? What's the difference between becoming a citizen or just being a PR for the rest of your life? In the American Government's eyes, they are still making the same amount off you regardless. :lol:It's very expensive to become a citizen and I'm not even sure if I'd have the money at the time.

How much does it cost generally?

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline

Thanks littlepoem for bringing up this topic. I will likely have my citizenship interview in a couple of months and I have found myself wondering if I really want to take the plunge. As soon as I turned eighteen until I moved to the US almost three years ago, I voted in every single election (federal, provincial, and municipal). My stand was always that you couldn't complain unless you voted. That is really my only reason for going forward with naturalization but I think it's a damn good one. As everyone else has stated, you are still a Canadian at heart, in fact, unless you fill out this special form renouncing your Canadian citizenship, you will still be a citizen of Canada as well.

I must admit, a friend who was a little confused and thought my ROC meant I was a US citizen, told a big group of people at a party that I was a newly-minted citizen. Honestly, I couldn't correct her fast enough. I was a little surprised by my own reaction. I guess I just need a little more time to digest what has been a long, arduous process but suddenly seems like it's moving too fast.

Kathryn41--good luck tomorrow!!!

Jo-Anne

Timeline

Good luck Kathryn...

I have not decided yet as to whether or not I want to become a US citizen. I can apply for it now but holding of for awhile.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but I find it a bit disturbing some of the reasons posed here for taking citizenship over remaining a permanent resident. I fully respect anyones decision and passion for their home nation, but why would you actively seek citizenship for a country for convenience? That seems quite disingenuous to me. Maybe I take the citizenship oath a bit too literally, but you are swearing to it when you take the oath.

That's the thing. Many people feel that they can't take that oath in good faith. As an American I can see why you would find it a bit disturbing - however, if you want to participate and vote and you don't want the hassle of being a permanent resident - then what do you do?

I think Canada's oath is a bit more realistic:

I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.

Why does the United States feel that you have to renounce your allegiance to your homeland?

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think that everyone's reason to be or not to become a US citizen is a deeply personal choice, with many different reasons for and against. I don't think any of them are wrong, because it is personal. To each his/her own!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

But in any oath of citizenship, they are asking you to place your allegiance to that country first. Doing so with no intent to actually do that, to gain access to services or employment is disrespectful to the citizens of that country.

I think that everyone's reason to be or not to become a US citizen is a deeply personal choice, with many different reasons for and against. I don't think any of them are wrong, because it is personal. To each his/her own!

If you're not going to take the oath seriously, then I think there is something wrong with it. There is a huge difference between being a citizen and a permanent resident. Nothing wrong with remaining a permanent resident, that is your choice. But, there are clear expectations deliniated in the oath of citizenship.

Indy.gif

I seek it for convenience because I really have no desire to be here other than to be with my husband who happens to be American.

I don't hate America or my life here but my heart is in Canada and always will be.

I moved here because at the time, it was the best choice....Since then, my husband was laid off. I am working at a job I love and because of that, plus the fact that we don't want to undo everything we have done immigration wise, we are staying.

I will never see myself as an American but I will always be married to my husband and in that respect it just makes things easier in the long run to become one. Call me selfish or insincere but I assure you, I am not. I am passionately and proudly Canadian and that's how I will always be....even if I happen to have American citizenship.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline
But in any oath of citizenship, they are asking you to place your allegiance to that country first. Doing so with no intent to actually do that, to gain access to services or employment is disrespectful to the citizens of that country.

If you're not going to take the oath seriously, then I think there is something wrong with it. There is a huge difference between being a citizen and a permanent resident. Nothing wrong with remaining a permanent resident, that is your choice. But, there are clear expectations deliniated in the oath of citizenship.

So I have to take the quote "bear arms" seriously? I find that part of the oath ridiculous, to be honest

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

So I have to take the quote "bear arms" seriously? I find that part of the oath ridiculous, to be honest

Sorry, I didn't include the entire oath, AND the list of exceptions, but here it goes.

In some cases, USCIS allows the oath to be taken without the clauses:

". . .that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by law. . ."

If USCIS finds that you are unable to swear the oath using the words “on oath,” you may replace these words with “and solemnly affirm.” If USCIS finds that you are unable to use the words “so help me God” because of your religious training or beliefs, you are not required to say these words.

I'm not looking at that part of it though. My point is that some people are taking citizenship very lightly.

Indy.gif

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
... The only people I can see seriously debating the issue would be those that do have to give up their former countries citizenship...

My girls are in that situation (from China). They own houses there and would have to give them up along with their Chinese citizenship and passports if they become USC. We will move back for retirement but the daughter will make her own choice later. We also face the issue of me adopting the daughter (under US law now she would become a USC). So the entire citizenship thing is a big deal for us on many levels. Early guess, my fiancee will not go the USC route and the daughter will. Sorry for posting here but this topic was moved to the Canada board when really it is a larger question where many different people could weigh in.

moving right along

Timeline

Well, your exceptions Rob are far too high.

For someone in our position, most of the time, it is convenience. It's not like we came to the US for a better life? We aren't here because we are seeking refuge or looking for a dream in the country of endless dreams. Many of us are here because..well..we have to be. :lol:

In taking the oath, I would essentially be pledging that I will faithfully preside by US law and be a good, contributing citizen. Anything more than that is far too high an expectation when you are coming from another country, especially one like Canada.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I actually have strong feelings on this but I won't get into them just because I've always lived here and by that I know my viewpoint is very biased :) I'll just say that I feel if you immigrate to this country on a spousal visa you should apply for citizenship, good luck to all who struggle with the decision!!

Why? Don't you think it's enough that we pay thousands of dollars just to immigrate, live and work? What's the difference between becoming a citizen or just being a PR for the rest of your life? In the American Government's eyes, they are still making the same amount off you regardless. :lol: It's very expensive to become a citizen and I'm not even sure if I'd have the money at the time.

The difference between being a PR and a citizen? Your right to vote.

I dated a guy who was a PR, lived in the US since he was 5. He can't vote. The rest of his family are now citizens. When he renewed his PR card I suggested he go ahead and apply for citizenship but he didn't want to give up his ties to Spain. Now that I know more about immigration, I might have suggested that he should see if he can have dual citizenship.

02.09.2007- Met online (EverQuest 2)

07.11.2008- Met in person (Orlando)

02.14.2009- Got engaged (Toronto)

K-1

03.13.2009- NOA 1

08.24.2009- NOA 2

11.20.2009- Montreal Interview Approved!!

02.01.2010- POE @ Lewiston Bridge

02.25.2010- Applied for SS#

04.29.2010- Beach Wedding!!

AOS

05.27.2010- NOA 1 for I-131, I-485 & I-765

06.18.2010- I-485 transferred to CSC

06.21.2010- Biometrics

07.22.2010- EAD & AP approved

10.28.2010- RFE for I-485- They lost our medical!

12.09.2010- Green Card in hand!

ROC

09.14.2012- Mailed I-751 to VSC

10.26.2012- Biometrics

04.11.2013- 10 Year Green Card approved! No interview :)

8zs8cuv3suq7.png

Timeline
The difference between being a PR and a citizen? Your right to vote.

I think you read me way too literally. I understand it is the right to vote or else I would have voted in the last election.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.