littlepoem

to become an american citizen or not

245 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Not to derail the conversation, but... if someone is both an American and a Canadian citizen, can they visit places like Cuba? I don't have an interest in doing so; however, as a natural-born American citizen, I am not allowed to go to Cuba. If I became a Canadian citizen as well, could I go or would I somehow get in trouble with the U.S. government? :unsure:

The US government will recognize you as American only. They aren't going to recognize your Canadian citizenship at all. Based on that, I would assume that you still wouldn't be able to visit Cuba.

~ Catherine

Actually, I meant heading there from Canada or at least somewhere other than U.S. I could use my Canadian passport to exit Canada. Hell, I could probably use it from within the U.S. too.

Once again, I have no interest in visiting Cuba. But I think the entire scenario is an interesting one.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've heard of Americans flying to a Canadian destination enroute to Cuba and then back through Canada with no problems but like you, I'd like to know if anyone has found anything definitive on the subject. I suppose if your ticket from Canada to Cuba was separate from the first leg of the trip and not part of your official itinerary, who would be the wiser but still, I'd play by the rules and not simply risk it based on what others have gotten away with.

When my Canadian brother lived in LA for (non-government) work in the 80's, his contract did not allow him to visit Cuba during that time. He also had to promise not to pierce his ears but whatever......

When I lived in Toronto, I was about a block from a pretty high-end cigar store. Celebrities like Arnold Swartzenegger (sp?) and Sylvester Stalone would purchase Cuban cigars there in bulk. I always wondered how the heck they got them back to the US (especially Arnie as Governor!). Even if you fly by private jet, are you not screened by Customs?

Jo-Anne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Deadpool- Not a good idea.

If you go back and read the Nexus thread, you will see that when I went to my Nexus interview I was highly interrogated about my trips to Cuba prior to even meeting my husband. These trips were in 2004 and 2005, and even though it was a long time ago and I was perfectly legal in entering Cuba as a Canadian citizen, the BP Officer made it VERY clear that as a PR of the USA it is against the law for me to enter Cuba at any time and if I do so, I will be fully prosecuted to the extent of the law.

He was a jerk about it, but he was PRETTY darn clear.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Even if you were an American living in Canada, or heck, an American living in the U.S., you can visit Cuba. There are people here on VJ that are U.S. Citizens, who flew out of another country, to visit Cuba, met their SO and have successfully obtained visas, so really, it's a bit of a joke.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
Even if you were an American living in Canada, or heck, an American living in the U.S., you can visit Cuba. There are people here on VJ that are U.S. Citizens, who flew out of another country, to visit Cuba, met their SO and have successfully obtained visas, so really, it's a bit of a joke.

Really? I didn't realize it. I've been 3 times and I thought since I've got the the I551 stamp in my passport, they'd throw me back on the plane. Going to Cuba not knowing if you are welcome or not is a big of a risk to be honest. They've got more armed guards in public areas then any other country I personally have visited so far in my life.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
I could be a loyal US citizen living in Canada just like I can be a loyal Canadian citizen living in the US.. loyalty is not about where you live...

Word.

My eyes filled with grit

Really? I didn't realize it. I've been 3 times and I thought since I've got the the I551 stamp in my passport, they'd throw me back on the plane. Going to Cuba not knowing if you are welcome or not is a big of a risk to be honest. They've got more armed guards in public areas then any other country I personally have visited so far in my life.

Well, I think the issue is, that you can't fly on a plane that's from US soil. I know my friend in Canada who has gone to Cuba several times, says the plane can't land on US soil if it's Cuba bound so they need lots of gas. :lol: But yes, there are members on VJ here who have visited Cuba and are petitioning their SO from Cuba. Weird, I know! I'm sure the number is very small, but it's done!

Just one question boxflex...why didn't you immigrate to Canada given your wife's treatment in the U.S. prior to her going to Canada? Did you two consider this?

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

haha I'm too much of a chicken to try it...I have thought about it though...

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Do it, come on, I know you want to. All the cool kids are :lol:

Edit: ooops, I forgot I was on this account. I was posting serious question :lol: Back to teh smurf.

Edited by Rob and Mel

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Edit: ooops, I forgot I was on this account. I was posting serious question :lol: Back to teh smurf.

So now your wife's account has become your alter ego?

Just one question boxflex...why didn't you immigrate to Canada given your wife's treatment in the U.S. prior to her going to Canada? Did you two consider this?

Yep most definitely did :) The problem was at the time she was in Canada her family's Humanitarian and Refugee case was still pending with the Canadian Government. With less that 35% of these cases being approved we couldn't seriously look at immigrating to Canada as it could've started the entire situation all over where we'd be forced to leave at a week's notice. Visiting my wife every weekend for 2 1/2 years, I met some very incredible people and even had quite a few of them attend our wedding in Windsor :)

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

I could be a loyal US citizen living in Canada just like I can be a loyal Canadian citizen living in the US.. loyalty is not about where you live...

I agree with this fully and actually never said that living somewhere equals loyalty :)

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: Other Country: Andorra
Timeline

So now your wife's account has become your alter ego?

Well, the account is both of ours, but I promised her that I would only use that one for serious questions in the immigration forums. Seeing as I normally post in OT, I use this one. I had posted a question earlier and actually had both accounts logged in. I mixed it up and posted on the wrong acct :P

Indy.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just read something on another immigration website that said that when Little Bush was in office he and Congress were well aware of Americans traveling through third party countries to Cuba but that it was strictly illegal and they were trying to figure out a way to stop it. Maybe under Obama or when Castro dies, these restrictions will be relaxed. I mean really, what exactly is the argument against it?

If you want a cheap-ish tropical vacation, I still say it's not worth the risk. Go to the Dominican Republic or Mexico instead.

Jo-Anne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.