littlepoem

to become an american citizen or not

245 posts in this topic

I just read something on another immigration website that said that when Little Bush was in office he and Congress were well aware of Americans traveling through third party countries to Cuba but that it was strictly illegal and they were trying to figure out a way to stop it. Maybe under Obama or when Castro dies, these restrictions will be relaxed. I mean really, what exactly is the argument against it?

If you want a cheap-ish tropical vacation, I still say it's not worth the risk. Go to the Dominican Republic or Mexico instead.

I bet it's actually going to go away fairly soon. Obama already has met with Cuban officials and has opened up talks and that's 1,000% more than Bush was willing to do. That poor country is so beat up from all the sanctions it's time to end it, at least I hope :)

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Deadpool- Not a good idea.

If you go back and read the Nexus thread, you will see that when I went to my Nexus interview I was highly interrogated about my trips to Cuba prior to even meeting my husband. These trips were in 2004 and 2005, and even though it was a long time ago and I was perfectly legal in entering Cuba as a Canadian citizen, the BP Officer made it VERY clear that as a PR of the USA it is against the law for me to enter Cuba at any time and if I do so, I will be fully prosecuted to the extent of the law.

He was a jerk about it, but he was PRETTY darn clear.

That sucks SO bad! I wish I could still go to Cuba, my close friend is getting married there next year :crying: but I certainly won't risk my PR status for her wedding

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

If you go back and read the Nexus thread, you will see that when I went to my Nexus interview I was highly interrogated about my trips to Cuba prior to even meeting my husband. These trips were in 2004 and 2005, and even though it was a long time ago and I was perfectly legal in entering Cuba as a Canadian citizen, the BP Officer made it VERY clear that as a PR of the USA it is against the law for me to enter Cuba at any time and if I do so, I will be fully prosecuted to the extent of the law.

That sucks SO bad! I wish I could still go to Cuba, my close friend is getting married there next year :crying: but I certainly won't risk my PR status for her wedding

Haha my boss was joking around with me saying oh yeah you should have came over to my house and hung out with my cuban friends last weekend...then you'll never get into the USA. :lol: I am sad too, my cousin is getting married in Cuba next November, looks like I won't be able to attend! :(

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline
I just read something on another immigration website that said that when Little Bush was in office he and Congress were well aware of Americans traveling through third party countries to Cuba but that it was strictly illegal and they were trying to figure out a way to stop it. Maybe under Obama or when Castro dies, these restrictions will be relaxed. I mean really, what exactly is the argument against it?

If you want a cheap-ish tropical vacation, I still say it's not worth the risk. Go to the Dominican Republic or Mexico instead.

I went to the Dominican in May and it was a lot more expensive actually then my previous trips to Cuba. It was nice but I like being in a place where Americans aren't allowed....

JOKING! HONEST! :whistle:

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

I went to the Dominican in May and it was a lot more expensive actually then my previous trips to Cuba. It was nice but I like being in a place where Americans aren't allowed....

JOKING! HONEST! :whistle:

:rofl:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I have no intention of visiting Cuba. Even if I wanted to, it's pretty clear that doing so would become a huge problem. It's certainly not worth the risk.

I could be a loyal US citizen living in Canada just like I can be a loyal Canadian citizen living in the US.. loyalty is not about where you live...

I absolutely agree. :thumbs:

Becoming an American Citizen, is rather unnecessary for most Canadians. However consider this. I resisted for years but then found myself in a situation where I needed it and couldn't get it for a long long time.

You never know, you may also find yourself in some situation where it would be desirable to have US citizenship. For example: A lot of jobs require it. If things don't work out with your US spouse, it would be much better to have the choice all of North America to look for a job. What if you can't find one in Canada?

You never lose your Canadian citizenship. so whats the problem? And the fun part is you can act like a double agent. Use the Canadian passport going into Canada, and the US one going into the US.

I recommend keeping the Canadian passport current. It can be handy for travelling as US citizens often get hammered with extra fees or are simply banned. Case in point: Day trip to China from Hong Kong. Canadian can get instant visa at the border. US Citizen.. forget it! Pay $300 and wait a week.

I-130 For Spouse

10-30-90: Petitioner enters US via NAFTA 1, later H1-B

10-26-96: Petitioner becomes LPR.

07-06-06: Delay due to N-400 processing begins. (Background check delay)

03-03-07: Married

06-09-08: Apply as LPR

02-26-09: Petitioner becomes US Citizen. Delay due to N-400 ends. (2 yrs, 8 mo)

02-27-09: Infopass. Attempted upgrade. Did not work. (found out later)

03-24-09: Timeline for USC I-130 begins. Faxed in Upgrade.

04-23-09: Infopass. Verified Upgrade. Never any official receipt.

06-23-09: Infopass. Check history. Nothing new.

07-23-09: NOA2

NVC IR-1

08-11-09: Case Received & Number Assigned

08-12-09: In AVR. Gave operator emails.

08-13-09: Email received: DS-3032 & AOS bill generated. DS-3032 emailed. AOS bill paid.

08-14-09: DS-3032 sent overnight, I-864 sent overnight

08-18-09: DS-3032 accepted, IV bill generated. IV bill paid.

08-19-09: Email recieved: DS-3032 accepted & IV bill.

08-20-09: DS-230 sent overnight

09-01-09: Case Complete

09-02-09: Email received: Interview Date.

Manila

10-08-09 -10-09-08: Medical. After chest xray, further testing required

10-13-09 -10-15-09: Sputum Tests

10-19-09: Result of Sputum smear test. Negative.

10-19-09: Original Interview POSTPONED

12-10-09: Result of Sputum Culture Test

12-16-09: Medical Appt.

xx-xx-xx: New Interview date

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

You have the choice to be a permanent resident, or a citizen.

However if you leave to live elsewhere, you lose PR. Unlike some other countries, eg Australia where permanent means always and does not make you undergo the complete immigration process again. Unfortunately I feel forced into taking citizenship to avoid having to apply for a new visa in the future.

2004 K-1 Visa Service Center : Texas Service Center Consulate : Sydney, Australia Sep 22: I-129F Sent Approved in 89 days. Apr 4: Interview took 194 days from filing. Apr 13: LAX POE Date Marriage 5 July 2005

2005 Adjustment of Status CIS Office Aug 5: Miami FL Date Filed Aug 12: NOA Date : 2005-08-12 Aug 17: chq cashed Bio. Appt. 2006 May 2: Interview Date June 6: Interview Cancelled T'fer to CSC May 26 2006 - June 10: Approval Date : 2006-6-10 July 21: Greencard Received

2006 July 21 06 GREENCARD

2008 I751 Application sent Mar 10: Texas Service Center Mar 14: Check cashed

April 17: Infopass at Miami for 1 year extension stamp in passport due to no NOA

April 22: Biometrics - took 15 minutes April 22/23: Touched both days but no changes

2009 Feb 04 10 Year GREENCARD

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
However if you leave to live elsewhere, you lose PR. Unlike some other countries, eg Australia where permanent means always and does not make you undergo the complete immigration process again. Unfortunately I feel forced into taking citizenship to avoid having to apply for a new visa in the future.

That's true and it's the same for Canada as well, you keep it as long as you are with your Canadian spouse in that other country. (are you sharing that Dairy Milk Jayde??)

Pooh and Piglet - a main topic in this thread is about pledging allegiance to the U.S. when you become a U.S. citizen - and excluding other countries, also being able to vote to fully participate in your new community - so while on the surface it doesn't seem like a big deal (based on what you are talking about) for a lot of people it is.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
(are you sharing that Dairy Milk Jayde??) :thumbs:

Pooh and Piglet - a main topic in this thread is about pledging allegiance to the U.S. when you become a U.S. citizen - and excluding other countries, also being able to vote to fully participate in your new community - so while on the surface it doesn't seem like a big deal (based on what you are talking about) for a lot of people it is.

I can understand the USC view that my taking citizenship is disingenuous BUT I have no alternative, as when I return to live in my home country, my permanent residence in the USA is no longer valid. I dont need another citizenship, I have my birth country and my choice (adopted) 2 passports are plenty.

US immigration overhaul doesnt appear to change some of these issues, so we have to make the best choices we can, for our families.

PS TopDeck is really my favourite, DairyMilk is just second choice :blush:

2004 K-1 Visa Service Center : Texas Service Center Consulate : Sydney, Australia Sep 22: I-129F Sent Approved in 89 days. Apr 4: Interview took 194 days from filing. Apr 13: LAX POE Date Marriage 5 July 2005

2005 Adjustment of Status CIS Office Aug 5: Miami FL Date Filed Aug 12: NOA Date : 2005-08-12 Aug 17: chq cashed Bio. Appt. 2006 May 2: Interview Date June 6: Interview Cancelled T'fer to CSC May 26 2006 - June 10: Approval Date : 2006-6-10 July 21: Greencard Received

2006 July 21 06 GREENCARD

2008 I751 Application sent Mar 10: Texas Service Center Mar 14: Check cashed

April 17: Infopass at Miami for 1 year extension stamp in passport due to no NOA

April 22: Biometrics - took 15 minutes April 22/23: Touched both days but no changes

2009 Feb 04 10 Year GREENCARD

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hubby intends to become a US Citizen...but as I'm sure has been mentioned, he won't lose his Canadian citizenship. He will be a dual. That's my intention too at some point...to become a dual. I don't think becoming a US Citizen in any way negates one's Canadian citizenry. It's all in the heart. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Timeline

Correct me if I'm wrong but... can anyone from another country really become an American?. Your U.S passport will always say where you are from, so you will always be Canadian, Colombian, etc. I think you can only be an American if you are born in America. When you naturalize you become a U.S citizen, but you're still from that other country, whether you hold its citizenship or not.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Correcting. :lol:

My Canadian passport says I was born in the UK, but I am still a Canadian. :)

And my American passport says I wasn't born in the US, but I am still an American...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

And my passport says I was born in Canada and god damn it I'm Canadian!

oh wait...nope..doesn't work the same does it. :lol:

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.