Jauque

US Healthcare going Public

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know if it's like this everywhere in Canada but where I live the healthcare is deplorable. There hasn't been family doctors taking patients since I moved here in 1995 and the bottom line with the health unit is that they are "working to attract more doctors"... for 14 years.

If I want to see a doctor I have to go to the emergency room or spend all day at the walk-in clinic hoping that I make it in before they close, because come 2pm if you havn't gotten in to see the one doctor that they have their daily you are asked to leave. While the ER won't turn you away I've never gotten in to see a doctor there in under 6 hours and even then they order blood tests before the docor will even look at you which is another 2 hours.

Anytime that I think I have to see a doctor either for myself or for my daughter the dread I feel for the illness is far over-shadowed by the dread I feel about trying to find a doctor to actually see us.

The greatest thing about the time that I have spent so far in Kansas is that for 90$ I can walk into almost anywhere see a doctor and be in and out in minutes. Maybe just becasue of where I live in Canada I have very bad experiences and feelings toward public health care. I'm quite disappointed with this whole "US might go public health-care". I would far rather pay 90$ for the few time a year that I actually need to see a doctor than get "free" healthcare that puts me out at least a day of work and has me paying taxes out the nose.

Does anyone have good experiences with the public health-care system here in Canada?

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't know if it's like this everywhere in Canada but where I live the healthcare is deplorable. There hasn't been family doctors taking patients since I moved here in 1995 and the bottom line with the health unit is that they are "working to attract more doctors"... for 14 years.

If I want to see a doctor I have to go to the emergency room or spend all day at the walk-in clinic hoping that I make it in before they close, because come 2pm if you havn't gotten in to see the one doctor that they have their daily you are asked to leave. While the ER won't turn you away I've never gotten in to see a doctor there in under 6 hours and even then they order blood tests before the docor will even look at you which is another 2 hours.

Anytime that I think I have to see a doctor either for myself or for my daughter the dread I feel for the illness is far over-shadowed by the dread I feel about trying to find a doctor to actually see us.

The greatest thing about the time that I have spent so far in Kansas is that for 90$ I can walk into almost anywhere see a doctor and be in and out in minutes. Maybe just becasue of where I live in Canada I have very bad experiences and feelings toward public health care. I'm quite disappointed with this whole "US might go public health-care". I would far rather pay 90$ for the few time a year that I actually need to see a doctor than get "free" healthcare that puts me out at least a day of work and has me paying taxes out the nose.

Does anyone have good experiences with the public health-care system here in Canada?

I've never had a doctor visit here in the US that only cost $90 without insurance. The cheapest I had was $400...ranging up to $850. I'm still trying to pay off those debts a year and a half later.

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

I live in northern Alberta, Grande Prairie to be specific. It's a boom oilfield city. I really do have no idea what its like elsewhere in the country, I've lived most of my life here and never had easy access to healthcare.

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Timeline

I've never had a doctor visit here in the US that only cost $90 without insurance. The cheapest I had was $400...ranging up to $850. I'm still trying to pay off those debts a year and a half later.

The full cost of the walk-in clinic that is one block from my house and has several doctors on staff at all times is $120. That is what the bill says when it comes to my house. My insurance pays it of course. I have never seen a doctor visit for $400-$850. I have two kids and am constantly going to the doctor. You must have had blood work or tests done to get a bill that high.

02.09.2007- Met online (EverQuest 2)

07.11.2008- Met in person (Orlando)

02.14.2009- Got engaged (Toronto)

K-1

03.13.2009- NOA 1

08.24.2009- NOA 2

11.20.2009- Montreal Interview Approved!!

02.01.2010- POE @ Lewiston Bridge

02.25.2010- Applied for SS#

04.29.2010- Beach Wedding!!

AOS

05.27.2010- NOA 1 for I-131, I-485 & I-765

06.18.2010- I-485 transferred to CSC

06.21.2010- Biometrics

07.22.2010- EAD & AP approved

10.28.2010- RFE for I-485- They lost our medical!

12.09.2010- Green Card in hand!

ROC

09.14.2012- Mailed I-751 to VSC

10.26.2012- Biometrics

04.11.2013- 10 Year Green Card approved! No interview :)

8zs8cuv3suq7.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

The full cost of the walk-in clinic that is one block from my house and has several doctors on staff at all times is $120. That is what the bill says when it comes to my house. My insurance pays it of course. I have never seen a doctor visit for $400-$850. I have two kids and am constantly going to the doctor. You must have had blood work or tests done to get a bill that high.

but you have insurance.. the insurance company and the doctors work out an agreement on what things will cost...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

but you have insurance.. the insurance company and the doctors work out an agreement on what things will cost...

My visits were with no insurance, just flat out 90 dollars.

Edited by Jauque

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I don't know the Canadian system but I know the US system. My daughters asthma doctor charges $689 for her routine visit here in the US. Her medication (Advair inhaler) is $300 a month. My daughter didn't develop it until we moved and she was 6 before she first attack. Better hope that your child doesn't get asthma when you move down here. You will be spending alot more than $90 a visit.

Our timeline

K-1

6/17/09 Mailed I-129F 6/19/09 NOA 1

9/09/09 NOA 2 9/28/09 Packet 3

11/03/09 Interview - Approved 11/05/09 Medical

11/09/09 Visa in hand

11/24/09 POE San Francisco

01/03/10 Baby due date

1/16/10 Baby - Its a Boy!

AOS

2/22/10 Filed AOS

4/17/10 Biometrics appt

5/16/10 Interview - Approved!

6/10 Green Card in hand

ROC

4/04/12 Filed I-751 California Service Center

4/21/12 NOA

7/20/12 Biometrics Appt

11/16/12 RFE

12/10/12 Sent RFE package

12/21/12 Approval Letter!!

Timeline

Maybe if you had like an ear infection they would charge you $90.

Speaking of which, my Nephew went to see a Doctor here in Calgary, when they were up here visiting - no insurance. They charged him $30.00.

My Husband had a sore toe and went to see a Doctor in Florida, I believe we paid about $225.00. They didn't care that we had insurance but a huge deductible - so he had a test for diabetes, 2 xrays and they booked him in for an ultrasound, which he didn't go to.

They gave him some anti-inflammatories and some other pill and it was fine.

If you have good insurance there is absolutely nothing wrong with U.S. health care. If you lose your job, if you are poor, if you want to change jobs, if you are under insured, if you have pathetic health insurance - then it sucks i'm sure.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

yeah that is the thing.. one of the major reasons hubby went back to his current job was because they had good health care insurance... and it started right a ways .. no waiting for 90 days for your insurance to kick in etc...

my hubby doesn't really like his job though and it sucks that he has to basically pick a job based on the health care insurance...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My visits were with no insurance, just flat out 90 dollars.

$90.00 with no insurance? That's interesting. I went to see a doctor for my throat infection in the US without insurance years ago and the bill was over $1000.00.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Its like anything--if you have the $$$$$ it is all good,lol You have no money(insurance) it sucks,lol As stated in the other health care post, it all depends where one is in Canada. I have lived in Northern Saskatchewan, and yes the care was probably sub par, as not many (medical)people want to reside in Northern Sask!! My sisters as part of their Nursing program was to spend some time up in a Northern community, working at a medical clinic! They had to leave after a few days, as they were afraid for their lives!! Super high alcohol/drug problem, and at night the drunk/stoned locals would try and break into their residence! They couldn't pay them enough to ever go back,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I cannot stand the coverage I am seeing on health care reform here.... it's absolutely ridiculous, the things these people are saying/thinking/believing about HC reform. Talking about euthanasia, comparing Obama to Hitler, it's making me sick.

And they're going to these rallies, shouting and screaming at the people trying to explain it.... they are acting like animals

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

"You get what you pay for".

Is pretty much all I have to say on the matter.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.