SupportOAFJF

Yardies at Home and a Farrin (part17)

6,063 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Ok VJers.. I have a question that has been lurking on my mind (hope it hasn't been asked and if it has, please lead me to the page):

How hard would you think it would be or has it been for your SO to get accustomed to living in a town/city that is predominantly white? I ask this because I was talking w/ my hubby about living in such an area and he states that he doesn't know if he could. Now he did say that since he loved me, he would live there, but he strongly thinks he'd try to convince me to move. It is a culture shock for them to move to another country in itself, but to also move to where there are very very few minorities. Have any of you experienced such a thing??

*sidenote:

I am in no way, shape or form racist and I do not ask this to hurt feelings or cause drama. Just a curious mind is all I have, :blush:

It was apparently VERY hard in my case....

why do you say it was hard? were people being mean? or it was hard for him to finally adjust to the town.

Never mean...in fact I notice up here that white people actually go out of their way to say hi and be friendly to blacks. Not a word to me, but a hi or hello to him. It was apparently more of an issue within himself and not being comfortable in his own skin....

I wonder why they felt they had to go out of the way to say hi. was it because he was new to the town? or black?

I do however think it is a good way to make him "feel" accepted by white people saying hi.

For my own personal experience, the best situation for me is when there is a nice diverse setting (either work, school, or neighborhood). I grew up in majority black elementary and middle school. For high school, I got this idea that I wanted to go to a different school than my friend or neighbors. I went to a majority white school. I still had majority black friends. All of my friends (mainly black) were not in honors classes. I asked the guidance counselor to downgrade me to regular so that I could have classes with my friends. She called my parents on me (that snitch) and I wasn't allowed to get out of the honors classes. I was all the only black person in my classes. Except when I took electives and even sometimes I was the only black (no counting the teacher) as none of my friend thought Accounting in high school was fun. No one was mean to me...but I felt sooo out of place and really didn't enjoy my high school days to the fullest. But at home and work, I was never the only black.

I went to a majority black college....LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! I met all kinds of people mixed, carribbean, african, students from Texas, New Orleans, Cali, NYC, Philly, and of course Florida. It was just nice to meet all of these black people but we were still culturely different. I admit I was nervous entering in the Corporate environment. We had a session at school to address the cultural shock (that's what they called it).

I have notice about myself that if I'm the only black (lets say in a training class) and there are other minorities , Indians and hispanics...I usually feel more comfortable..even forget the fact that I'm the only sista in there.

I know I kinda went out to the right with this subject...but what can I say...I felt I could/should share my thought....

I feel you on this because Im experiencing this now. I am usually the only black in my college classes. My college is Catholic and the students are young. So being and older black female student is hard.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DaDa - I was reading this article how only 5% of churches are racially integrated.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/0...days/index.html

Yardies - What do you think? Is this wrong? Right? Okay?

kk.. i LOVE LOVE my new church.. it is half black, half white, and a few hispanics.. I have NEVER been a member of a church w/ such diversity and i am soooo proud.. i feel like this is the way it should be.

i can't wait to join next mnth..

In my opinion, I don't see it has people going because it's a white or black or hispanic church...rather the type of religon (bapitist, etc) it's more of a cultural thing.

but there are white baptist and black baptist churches, white pentecostal/ black pentecostal, .. are there denominations that are more likely to be a certain race u think??

The ones that were formed during the segregation part of our histories. AME is definitely african american majority.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
DaDa - I was reading this article how only 5% of churches are racially integrated.

kk.. i LOVE LOVE my new church.. it is half black, half white, and a few hispanics.. I have NEVER been a member of a church w/ such diversity and i am soooo proud.. i feel like this is the way it should be.

In my opinion, I don't see it has people going because it's a white or black or hispanic church...rather the type of religon (bapitist, etc) it's more of a cultural thing.

Catholics? Are there many black catholic churches? That I do not know.

but there are white baptist and black baptist churches, white pentecostal/ black pentecostal, .. are there denominations that are more likely to be a certain race u think??

I put my reply in the wrong spot....

i don't think so.. we have one here that i know of.. and that was surprising to me when i found out

Timeline

I put my reply in the wrong spot....

i don't think so.. we have one here that i know of.. and that was surprising to me when i found out

I think we have one St Martin DePorres

Timeline
Okay this is day too that I haven't gotten anything done. And I haven't posted on VJ a lot. I think it's just taking me longer to finish somethings...God..please send me some motivation {sp}!!!!!!!!!!

God, please send me some too! (And yes, you spelled that right!)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Okay this is day too that I haven't gotten anything done. And I haven't posted on VJ a lot. I think it's just taking me longer to finish somethings...God..please send me some motivation {sp}!!!!!!!!!!1

yep vj wasn't ur distraction, so what was?? u been talking to hubby on the telephone???

i was thinking bout ya'll as i went shopping for some shoes..they had the very DECORATIVE baby phat shoes up.. the shoes are BAD, but i wouldn't have anything to match all them colors LOL

philly, we dropped off the kids and had a SEXY afternoon after the ceremony??? LOL but thats about it until he starts to working maybe LOL

LOL Quanna at the shoes, some of her stuff is real colorful!

Luvs the afternoon sexy party can't wait for Buggy to upload these pics I know you are glowing (F)

Well the girl at the hair store I frequent advised me that they are going to do a lacefront presentation in a few weeks I am so excited. She said she already knew I was looking for something long and Pocahontas like LOL. Yup she knows me very well!

****ROC VSC****

Submitted I-751: 3/9/11

NOA1: 3/15/11

Biometrics Appointment:5/2/11

Early Bio Walk-In: 4/8/11

Approved: 9/23/11

Green Card Received: 9/30/11

Okay this is day too that I haven't gotten anything done. And I haven't posted on VJ a lot. I think it's just taking me longer to finish somethings...God..please send me some motivation {sp}!!!!!!!!!!1

yep vj wasn't ur distraction, so what was?? u been talking to hubby on the telephone???

Not really. Just need some motivation to focus. I'm on my second cup of green tea. I have eating like 5 golden oreos...for the energy boost. Nothing yet.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline
I am sending Tierra to Bible Camp this week. I was so happy to see all the brown kids that were there monday morning. I wish there were more integrated churches here. Tierra's father sang in the church choir down in MD, had a CD released and everything... I can't find a church ANYWhere in Maine that has a kids choir. I hate to say it but "white" church is boring.. I actually enjoyed going to church with Tierra's dad. I was the only white person there and NEVER felt out of place.

I'm with you, most of the churches I've been raised with have been BORING! The songs are boring & it all seems pretty stiff even though the people are nice. Lehi thought the worship was boring when we went with my parents to their church when he first got here BUT, he loved how short the service was! Start at 10:30 & done at noon! He's willing to go any time since it's so short! :thumbs::lol:

now i do think that is dependent upon denomination.. cuz there are some very exciting white pastors but forgive me if i offend, they are not usually baptist/protestant/methodist. not USUALLY

omg.. my ex was methodist and the church was ALL black... i only went that ONE TIME..

different strokes for different folks, if he wanted to keep going he could have LOL.. i gotta have some stomping and clapping in my life sorry.. :blush:

Thats funny! I was raised Methodist.. not that my family ever went to church after I was about 3 years old! I hated church when I was little. I wanted to be with my mom and they didnt let the children upstairs during mass. So I was baptised in this little church on an island where my grandfather lived here in Maine and when Tierra and I moved back I had her baptized there as well.. the pastor was so nice... but all these little blue haired ladies wondering where the heck my husband was!! LOL

When I lived in MD, Tierra's father and I went to a methodist church there... clapping, singing and hallelujas all around. There is a HUGE difference between southern Methodist and us Yankees up here in conservative New England!

June 29 2009: Green Card Received

March 6 2011: Lifting Conditions

June 6 2012: Apply for US Citizenship

fkn0hd.jpg

How do people not turn in your timesheet if YOU know you will not be paid if you don't? And my co-worker has done this for the 4th time already.

I do not play with my pay check...I turn in my timesheet EARLY!!!!!!!!!! It's due on Wednesday and I get it to my manager on Tuesday mornings.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.