bowflex

Favorite Things About Where You Live(d)?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there...

Did you live in High Park by any chance? That's the first thing I thought of when I read this.

I live in Little Italy/Little Portugal...

Toronto - I LOVED the little Eastern European village I lived in. I loved the mixture of languages and food and cultures! I miss it

Atlanta - Southern hospitality! No seriously! People here are so nice and generous. I also love the park across the street from my house.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Aargovia (Switzerland): quality of public transit - cars sharing the roads with bicycles - Migros - variety of cheeses and chocolates - Swiss German language (Grüetzi Mitenand!) - curriculum in school - proximity of the Alps/seeing them in the background all the time...

Montreal: Cost and quality of life - good food + number of restaurants at a decent price - National Library (la Grande Bibliothèque) - all the summer festivals - la montagne (the Mont-Royal) - all the little stores and shops in my neighbourhood - low crime rate.

Boston: the Bay, Boston Commons, living close to the T (subway) and the beach, the accent, the home we bought... and, of course, my husband :wub: - I'll find more once I move I'm sure :)

Edited by La Souris

Where I was born and lived until age 17: CT - loved the Italian food and seafood, hiking at Sleeping Giant State Park, the proximity to NYC, the ocean, my family and friends

Where I went to college: Washington DC - I loved the freedom of being a 17 year old girl on her own in a big city, the Metro, the music scene, a variety of ethnic cuisine, Great Falls for hiking and staring in fascination at the massive whitewater, the museums and monuments

Grad school: Morgantown WV - The amazing outdoors activities - hiking, whitewater rafting, the laidback and open minded people in this college town, access to bigger cities within an easy drive, the mountains, living in an amazing apartment on a golf course

Bakersfield, CA - the vast difference in scenery compared to what I was used to, being an East Coast girl; the amazing Mexican food, the warmth and friendliness of the people (my friends, my coworkers, my clients), being exposed to a different culture and traditions

Rome, GA - my friends (the most amazing group of friends I have ever had), the "Southern Hospitality" and the accents, the local music and arts scene, southern BBQ and southern veggies, the outdoors

Northern New Hampshire - the outdoors, access to amusement parks I went to as a child and now can take my son to, being an hour drive from Canada

Where hubby was living when I met him: Burnaby - the ethnic cuisines. I especially miss the shawarma from this little place by the Metrotown mall. God, I crave that stuff!!! His friends. Public transportation.

Where hubby's family lives: Denman Island, BC - the amazing beauty of the island, ferry rides, fresh seafood, the open minded and hippy nature of the the residents :), my in-laws and niece and nephews and SIL and BIL, the ocean

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Other Country: Aruba
Timeline
will just put the last canadian place there was so many

Hamilton Ontario... The fresh clean air, .. birthplace of Tim Horton's ( for all you timmy freaks )... some other stuff

Florida .... daily afternoon thunderstorms thought i'd hate that but after most of the day in the heat a cool thunderstorm is refreshing

I lived in Hamilton, that must be a joke??????

Why yes ...yes it was a joke hahahaha .... glad someone caught on.

Oh sprailenes be careful .. last time i knocked Hamilton on here people had a whinefest about it but yes your right

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hamilton isn't a nice city, this is true. But, even with Stelco and Defasco, 50 years ago, it was a nice place to live. It had a lot of class. Thats where my parents met and lived for quite a few years before leaving for Kitchener. It smells but so do a lot of other cities that have massive industrial plants in them...and there are a lot in Ontario.

Ryck, the reason why you get the reactions from people that you do, is because you are just a negative nancy that never has anything but negative things to say. After awhile, no matter what your comment is, people just disregard it's credibility.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Hamilton isn't a nice city, this is true. But, even with Stelco and Defasco, 50 years ago, it was a nice place to live. It had a lot of class. Thats where my parents met and lived for quite a few years before leaving for Kitchener. It smells but so do a lot of other cities that have massive industrial plants in them...and there are a lot in Ontario.

Yeah up until first grade I grew up in Detroit and that was before the city really started going to #######. My grandpa and dad were both Detroit Firefighters so we had to live there until they finally lifted the requirement to work for the city and have to live in city limits. Every once in a while there'd be a little something gross in the air but I fondly remember living there. Now by the time I was in first grade though, I definitely remember wanting to get the ####### out of there and I'm SOOO glad we did :)

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: Other Country: Aruba
Timeline

Ryck, the reason why you get the reactions from people that you do, is because you are just a negative nancy that never has anything but negative things to say. After awhile, no matter what your comment is, people just disregard it's credibility.

YOU CAN JUST STOP RESPONDING TO MY POSTS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOONE HAS SAID ####### BUT YOU !!! NOW GIT

I have no idea what was so negative about the last thing you jumped all over me about you wanna be a troll don't do it to me Ive never responded to anything you ever posted about you don't like what i have to say then DO NOT READ IT ... and yes Tim Hortons is just like McDonalds for grown ups ... how is that negative and how does that affect you one bit? And i lived in Hamilton Long enough to know whats its like .. just because i am not and will not blow sunshine and rainbows up yer behind still doesn't give you any right to talk to me like that THATS ALL I WILL EVER SAY TO YOU

Edited by RYCK

Timeline
YOU CAN JUST STOP RESPONDING TO MY POSTS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOONE HAS SAID ####### BUT YOU !!! NOW GIT

I have no idea what was so negative about the last thing you jumped all over me about you wanna be a troll don't do it to me Ive never responded to anything you ever posted about you don't like what i have to say then DO NOT READ IT ... and yes Tim Hortons is just like McDonalds for grown ups ... how is that negative and how does that affect you one bit? And i lived in Hamilton Long enough to know whats its like .. just because i am not and will not blow sunshine and rainbows up yer behind still doesn't give you any right to talk to me like that THATS ALL I WILL EVER SAY TO YOU

:rofl:

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

Dartmouth, NS - It wasn't the richest city, or province in Canada but I loved the weather and waking up to have the Atlantic ocean and Halifax right outside my window. It was always really nice, and the people were nice! The library had an AMAZING selection and public transportation was more than affordable.

Calgary, AB - Too much diversity. I'm all for it, and I don't mean to sound intolerant or racist but in Dartmouth there wasn't much diversity so I found myself completely overwhelmed very quickly. But overall, something is always going on, the parks are decent, the zoo is always great, downtown is completely overpriced...I don't like it here. :(

Las Vegas, NV - SUPER NICE. Well, if you're in the North Las Vegas area. It's just like any other little town, and the people are nice, but most tend to react funny when you tell them to have a nice day. And it's always hot out. And it rarely snows! Hahahaa

Edited by Ber + Ter

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Timeline

Yeah up until first grade I grew up in Detroit and that was before the city really started going to #######. My grandpa and dad were both Detroit Firefighters so we had to live there until they finally lifted the requirement to work for the city and have to live in city limits. Every once in a while there'd be a little something gross in the air but I fondly remember living there. Now by the time I was in first grade though, I definitely remember wanting to get the ####### out of there and I'm SOOO glad we did :)

A lot of towns and cities are like that.

The town my father in law lives in now is full of crime, but 30 years ago it was quite the place to live.

Because my grandparents lived in Hamilton from the time they immigrated from Europe until they died, I have really decent memories of what the city was like. At least the area they lived in, that is. I spent every sunday there and many weeks as well.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

And that's great that you have those memories, but some people don't share good memories about places. To each is really their own in situation like that. It's like how I hate North Bay. A lot of people love it there, I can't stand the place. I have my reasons.

Mike hates Midland, I love it. He has his reasons. I don't think it's really up for debate, it's just how one feels.

I wouldn't take it too personally though. We all feel differently about different things.

Donne moi une poptart!

I saw a lot of pictures of where my wife grew up in Europe as her dad just took a vacation there for a few weeks and I got to hear some hilarious stories. My favorite was when she was in her toddler/pre-elementary school days and she came running home crying with a goat chasing closely behind her hahaha.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Timeline
And that's great that you have those memories, but some people don't share good memories about places. To each is really their own in situation like that. It's like how I hate North Bay. A lot of people love it there, I can't stand the place. I have my reasons.

Mike hates Midland, I love it. He has his reasons. I don't think it's really up for debate, it's just how one feels.

I wouldn't take it too personally though. We all feel differently about different things.

Oh absolutely! It's the way you go about saying certain things, though I guess. I'm not particularly fond of negative nancys' either ;) If you hated everything Nev, I don't think we could be friends. haha There has to be some things people speak positively about, no matter what it is. Life isn't that bad.

My eyes filled with grit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.