Jauque

Importing Vehicle

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

mine says the same thing its cus america doesnt have the same lights in the cars as canada does the difference is day time running and non daytime running, cant remember who has what off the top of my head but its not a big deal aparently. I believe its canadian cars that have the daytime lights and american cars that dont have them b/c its not standard in america but is in canada.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Disrtegard all that, I had it backwards, my problem now establishing why Ford says I need daytime running lights.

So confusing.

Edited by Jauque

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Disrtegard all that, I had it backwards, my problem now establishing why Ford says I need daytime running lights.

So confusing.

Does your letter day that you need to have the Day-Running lights disabled? Cause that is what my letter said and I never had it done. The border officer never even asked to see the import letter. Big waste of $100. Blah.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So confusing.

Does your letter day that you need to have the Day-Running lights disabled? Cause that is what my letter said and I never had it done. The border officer never even asked to see the import letter. Big waste of $100. Blah.

yeah ours POE officer saw the letter, but daytime running lights is a non issue for hubby's car.

Timeline

So confusing.

Hang on, your letter says you DO need daytime running lights??

This is ours btw - oh and it does have the stuff about labeling too:

fordletter-1.jpg

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

My letter say's exactly that except for the part about the recalls and also the part about they must be disabled.

Makes me a bit peeved to know that they're charging 100$ essentially for a form letter, but why complain.

So upon checking this morning after much confusion my vehicle does have daytime running lights, I was sure it didn't but that clears everything up. Thanks for all the great answers I'm pretty sure that makes me good to go now. =D

Thanks again.

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
My letter say's exactly that except for the part about the recalls and also the part about they must be disabled.

Makes me a bit peeved to know that they're charging 100$ essentially for a form letter, but why complain.

So upon checking this morning after much confusion my vehicle does have daytime running lights, I was sure it didn't but that clears everything up. Thanks for all the great answers I'm pretty sure that makes me good to go now. =D

Thanks again.

Is that in Canada or the United States? If that's the charge in Canada, try seeing if you can get the recall letter in the U.S. instead.

I've got a BMW and I got the recall letter from my BMW dealership for FREE in Texas. Contrast that with BMW Canada, who wanted to charge me $500 for the very same letter. BMW Canada also claimed that an American recall letter from BMW wouldn't work. It did and there were no questions asked, so BMW Canada was trying to screw me over.

I don't know if Ford operates in a similar manner, but it's worth checking out.

• 3 months later...

I got my compliance letter from Volkswagon Canada, and it was free as well. What's up with Ford charging $100?

EDIT:

Or BMW charging $500??? Yikes.

Edited by Miranda&John

Our Timeline - AOS from J-1 & J-2

10/03/09 - Wedding in Reno, NV

01/14/10 - I-485, I-130, I-765 & I-131 filed

01/25/10 - Checks cashed, NOAs sent!! (Day 1)

01/28/10 - NOAs received - dated 1/25/10 (Day 3)

02/04/10 - Biometrics letter received! (Day 10)

02/16/10 - Biometrics appointment, Modesto, CA - COMPLETED! (Day 22)

03/11/10 - Received interview notice - April 15, 2010 in Fresno, CA (Day 45)

03/18/10 - AP Approved (for my daughter - not me)!! (Day 52)

03/24/10 - Touch I-485 and email that RFE received on 2/18/10 (Day 58)

04/05/10 - INFOPASS appointment -- was told NBC must have decided not to process AP or EAD because interview was so soon. (Day 70)

04/13/10 - Email - EAD Card production ordered, Touch on my AP (Day 78)

04/15/10 - Interview @ 10:30am - APPROVED!!! Email - Green Card production ordered! (Day 80)

04/16/10 - My AP received in mail (no approval email), ANOTHER email EAD Card production ordered, Touch on I-765, I-485 & I-130 (Day 81)

04/20/10 - Green card status changed to post-decision activity, Touch on I-765 & I-485 (Day 85)

04/26/10 - Greencard RECEIVED!!!! (Day 91)

Our Timeline - ROC

02/09/12 - I-751 Filed

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I drive an old beater van here in Canada, but I bought a nice vehicle in Kansas that I intend on driving when I get there.

My question is do I have to go through the hassle of importing my van if my intention is to scrap it when I get down there?

Probably not, you won't be allowed to sell it or anything and you would need to insure and register it which without compliance you probably couldn't do. If you just want to drive it to Kansas then sell it to a junk yard then there should be no issue with that at all.

When I drove across I travelled across country, lived here a week or so before I started with getting my car insured, compliance etc. I was told that with my car it passed, but it was stamped with something that said "Not recomended for selling" or something like that.

No worries, it blew up in the Arizona desert a few months later anyways...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline
I got my compliance letter from Volkswagon Canada, and it was free as well. What's up with Ford charging $100?

EDIT:

Or BMW charging $500??? Yikes.

BMW (American or Canadian) charge a ton of money for anything they do, so attempting to rip me for $500 isn't all too unusual.

In terms of service and repair, I paid slightly over $2872 to replace a failing camshaft censor, install new rear brakes (the front brakes were fine) and fix the front bumper my wife somehow managed to damage and nearly tear off while I was away in Houston. I wasn't pleased when I returned. :P

That doesn't include the overall price of getting my car to Canada, importation costs and above all, the criminal amount Autoplan charges me (quite a bit over $3000 per year). Gas prices are also insane in BC, but that's the problem with living on the west coast: everything is more expensive.

My car has been a huge money sink, but without it, traveling anywhere would be a nightmare.

Edited by DeadPoolX

Timeline

Hey deadpool, when you imported your car in to Canada, did you have to have a provincial inspection done? Just wondering if the procedure is the same in BC as it is in Alberta.

Timeline
Hey deadpool, when you imported your car in to Canada, did you have to have a provincial inspection done? Just wondering if the procedure is the same in BC as it is in Alberta.

I know I needed to get approval from AirCare. I do recall a federal inspection and I believe there was a provinvial inspection too. Passing it was easy: no tinted windows, daytime running lights, etc.

Timeline

I know I needed to get approval from AirCare. I do recall a federal inspection and I believe there was a provinvial inspection too. Passing it was easy: no tinted windows, daytime running lights, etc.

Yeah, we have done the easy Federal inspection - which was included in the fee we paid for the federal stuff (which was the daytime running lights, child seat hooks etc etc one) - now we need a 'very picky' provincial inspection, which we get to pay for.

Timeline

Do I *have* to import my car at POE or can I do it later?

Compliance letter won't get here in time for when I plan to leave. I would rather go than wait for the letter.

I'm phoning the POE tomorrow morning, but wanted to ask if anyone else knows/has done importation later.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.