mox

Welcome new members!

106 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Darn thing won't let me edit --- :angry:

I was simply going to add --- related to school/ESL ---

After you submit the I-129F and during that long wait for approval would be a good time to contact your local school administration and ask them about their ESL program and ask them directly what documents they would prefer to see in order to enroll Igor and properly place him in classes.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another avenue, contact some of the local churches many of them now offer free ESL classes in the evening, my wife met some nice people there and it helped her get more comfortable with her english.

Rob is right just relax, nothing is going to happen right away, and it seems like you have reams of evidence already. My guess is that USCIS doesnt really read they just like to see how much there is. If they need further info they will send you a RFO. Take a breath things are happening just slowly. Enjoy yourself and ask questions. If there is something on a form your not sure of just ask us.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Regarding guns and ammo issues, I'd start by eliminating the name calling and stereotyping of fellow Americans (idiots, knuckleheads, gun nuts, rednecks, etc) and have a clean discussion about the issues. I've been to the NRA range and I see only professional, upper middle class men, women and children there. I was surprised to see many young girls there with their parents....family shooting. The parking lot is full of BMWs and Audis, not trucks and jeeps. The closest thing to a pick-up would be an Escalade.

Stereotyping is only "bad" if it pertains to minorities or gays, etc. It's OK if it's about white "rednecks" and "gun nuts." Even our liberal Senator Webb got caught sneaking in two handguns in the halls of congress. The truth is the gun lobby is one of the most powerful in the USA. While many talk down guns, many are secretly packing a pistol. Positions on guns can make or break a politician. The Supreme Court has made it clear people have a "individual" right to arm themselves. How much ammo someone chooses to buy is up to the buyer. It is a free country...as free as any other, at least for now.

The increase in ammo and gun purchases began after 9/11 and increased further after Obama came in. I also believe the general chaos of the world and the open season on killing Americans as had its effect as well.

If you want to die like a sheep, hang out in a "gun free zone" like colleges. It is still true that the best deterrent to guns...is guns. Had one professor or student had a handgun, the body count would be much lower. There is a strong lobby to allow handguns on campus. This is the world we live in...not pie in the sky world of the naive and misguided gun control "nuts."

As a practical matter, some of the handgun ammo shortage has come from the recent interest in small concealable handguns in small calibers. Normally the ammo manufacturers make only small amounts of small caliber ammo as it was never popular until now...so now it's very hard to find .32 and .380 rounds. The larger calibers like .45 and 9mm are more abundant. Rifle ammo is still available for common rounds like .223 am .308.

As for democracy, it's not all it's cracked up to be, especially in primitive areas like the middle east, Africa and South America and parts of Asia. That's why dictatorships keep coming back. I could argue that Iraq was better off under Saddam...as hideous a man as he was. The list is long of effective yet vile dictators who held disparate countries together...Tito, Franco, Marcos.

As far as experimenting with "democracy," the USA has taken it pretty far down the road but we are still probably less democratic than the old Greeks were.

Frankly, I prefer anarchy...were when a man calls me an "idiot" he has to face my law, not the government's.

Filed: Timeline
Regarding guns and ammo issues, I'd start by eliminating the name calling and stereotyping of fellow Americans (idiots, knuckleheads, gun nuts, rednecks, etc) and have a clean discussion about the issues. I've been to the NRA range and I see only professional, upper middle class men, women and children there. I was surprised to see many young girls there with their parents....family shooting. The parking lot is full of BMWs and Audis, not trucks and jeeps. The closest thing to a pick-up would be an Escalade.

If you want to die like a sheep, hang out in a "gun free zone" like colleges. It is still true that the best deterrent to guns...is guns. Had one professor or student had a handgun, the body count would be much lower. There is a strong lobby to allow handguns on campus. This is the world we live in...not pie in the sky world of the naive and misguided gun control "nuts."

You first. :P

Actually, I'm not a gun control nut. I do think our perception of the 2nd amendment is heavily skewed and that it was never meant for how it's being interpreted as today, but as a gun owner myself I certainly am not advocating the banning of guns or the abolition of the 2nd amendment. But this country needs to be a lot smarter and more practical about it, and I think the first place to start would be to stop listening to the NRA. The founding fathers gave us the right to bear arms for the common defense, but I'm pretty sure that rocket launchers and assault rifles with cop killing bullets would have been excluded had they been around in that day and age.

As a practical matter, some of the handgun ammo shortage has come from the recent interest in small concealable handguns in small calibers. Normally the ammo manufacturers make only small amounts of small caliber ammo as it was never popular until now...so now it's very hard to find .32 and .380 rounds. The larger calibers like .45 and 9mm are more abundant. Rifle ammo is still available for common rounds like .223 am .308.

Ammunition sales doubled in November, right after Obama won the election. Every expert in the country attributes this to Obama's win.

As for democracy, it's not all it's cracked up to be, especially in primitive areas like the middle east, Africa and South America and parts of Asia. That's why dictatorships keep coming back. I could argue that Iraq was better off under Saddam...as hideous a man as he was. The list is long of effective yet vile dictators who held disparate countries together...Tito, Franco, Marcos.

Definitely agree. There are worse monsters in this world than Saddam, and we haven't gone into their countries to "spread democracy." Iraq was about oil, and about a petulant little boy in a big-boy body who decided he was gonna show up his daddy.

As far as experimenting with "democracy," the USA has taken it pretty far down the road but we are still probably less democratic than the old Greeks were.

Also agreed. Especially with the PATRIOT Act still in play. I trust this President a whole helluva lot more than I trusted the last one, but I don't trust him or anybody else enough to give them the power to disappear somebody based on Presidential authority alone. We are a breath away from a dictatorship as long as PATRIOT remains law.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

assault rifles with cop killing bullets

Mox please tell me that you too have not succumbed to the media's sensationalization.

There is no such thing as cop killing bullets; they don't have little cop detectors and can travel around corners to find a cop. Large caliber is large caliber and hollow points are hollow points.

And assault rifles are not specially designed to assault people. Look up the history of the word; they are just rifles with a short barrel which allows eaiser use in jungles and in and around buildings.

And what the media doesn't tell you and we too are partly to blame as well, everyone thinks that in CCW states or if your state was to allow CCW that there would be wild shoot-outs like in the Hollywood Wild West. What is not said is all the training and background checks that would be required to obtain a CCW permit. Most folks would not be allowed to CCW because they would not pass the tests.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Mox please tell me that you too have not succumbed to the media's sensationalization.

There is no such thing as cop killing bullets; they don't have little cop detectors and can travel around corners to find a cop. Large caliber is large caliber and hollow points are hollow points.

Come on now. Of course I know what they are. Point is that there's only ONE reason to have them. Nobody hunts deer or elk with them, and there haven't been wild elephants in North America for about 10,000 years. These bullets are used to penetrate armor of the sort the Police wear. They are literally cop killing bullets. I know the media likes sensational terms like this, but in this case I think they have it exactly right.

And assault rifles are not specially designed to assault people. Look up the history of the word; they are just rifles with a short barrel which allows eaiser use in jungles and in and around buildings.

Nobody hunts with an assault rifle. Nobody in their right mind anyway, and certainly nobody who's planning on eating what they kill. Assault rifles are built and optimized for the sole purpose of killing other human beings.

And what the media doesn't tell you and we too are partly to blame as well, everyone thinks that in CCW states or if your state was to allow CCW that there would be wild shoot-outs like in the Hollywood Wild West. What is not said is all the training and background checks that would be required to obtain a CCW permit. Most folks would not be allowed to CCW because they would not pass the tests.

I've got no problem with people carrying hand guns, although I think any establishment should be allowed to refuse entry to anybody packing. I also believe firearms should be excluded from any place that primarily serves alcohol, if for any other reason than if you are liquored up then you are an unsafe shooter, which violates the rules of the gun safety course you signed off on.

Timeline

Well said and accurate.

An "assault rifle" is simply a semi-automatic rifle with and adjustable stock, bayonet lug and high volume magazine. Nancy Pelosi and the uninformed media would make you think an assault rifle is a fully automatic, .50 caliber machine gun. Carrying a full auto rifle in the commission of a crime is an automatic life sentence.

Cop killing bullets? Please. So dramatic and so full of #######. You have a choice...full metal jacket or hollow point. A hollow point is actually more humane in hunting as it is more likely to quickly kill the animal.

Rocket launchers? No way. Might as well tell us we can buy armored tanks.

This is the problem...misinformation and outright BS. You can call a kid's BB gun an "assault rifle if you like, but it's still just a BB gun.

Cop killing bullets? Please. So dramatic and so full of #######. You have a choice...full metal jacket or hollow point. A hollow point is actually more humane in hunting as it is more likely to quickly kill the animal.

I'm not talking about stuff you can buy at WalMart. I'm talking about stuff like this that is being found more and more frequently in cities like L.A.

Timeline

Nobody hunts with an assault rifle.

True, but lots of folks do shoot with them. Lots of fun. Actually, if you again look at their history, short barrelled rifles were invented to give the rear echelon troops something with a slightly better range than a pistol. Look at the M1 Carbine for example.

In the Pacific theater of WWII and later in Vietnam, the short barrel could be wielded more easily in the jungle growth than a long barrelled rifle. The larger magazine capacity was a natural since these weapons didn't have the range; you by definition had to be closer to the enemy and therefore couldn't just pick your shots.

And optimized to kill people? Please do tell me how that is done?

True, but lots of folks do shoot with them. Lots of fun. Actually, if you again look at their history, short barrelled rifles were invented to give the rear echelon troops something with a slightly better range than a pistol. Look at the M1 Carbine for example.

In the Pacific theater of WWII and later in Vietnam, the short barrel could be wielded more easily in the jungle growth than a long barrelled rifle. The larger magazine capacity was a natural since these weapons didn't have the range; you by definition had to be closer to the enemy and therefore couldn't just pick your shots.

I've got no argument about anything mentioned here. It does, however, support my argument that assault rifles are manufactured for one reason, and that's to kill people. Yes, they're fun to fire, and one of the best times of my life was the first time I was able to fire an AK-47.

A full automatic weapon is horrible for hunting. You really don't want to have to pick out a crapload of lead from that big elk you just bagged, you want to be able to take him down in one shot, preferably in the neck. Semi-automatic is great for this, because sometimes you get a second shot if you miss and he's still in your site when he spooks. On the other hand, when you're faced with a human being who also has the capability of killing you, full automatic is what you want. Full auto is designed to kill human beings. You don't give a ####### about how much lead the other guy's family is going to bury him with, you just care that he has been effectively neutralized. For this reason, assault rifle manufacturers do a lot of ballistics studies on what their weapons and ammunition do to a human being. They study how the bullet tumbles through a human torso, and they do everything they can to maximize that tumbling and fragmentation. There is an entire science behind killing human beings, and you can bet that the DoD is VERY interested in the most optimal way to kill another human being.

Timeline

I'm not talking about stuff you can buy at WalMart. I'm talking about stuff like this that is being found more and more frequently in cities like L.A.

I would not oppose a ban on ammo designed primarily to penetrate armor, but the bullet vest cops wear wear really designed to stop handgun bullets. Many regular high powered hunting rounds might well penetrate body armor.

The problem with banning any type of ammo is where does it stop? And what if a "bad guy" wearing body armor enters your home and attacks you. You have a weapon but your ammo won't stop him.

I think the power of the 2nd amendment is that if our government turns to tyranny, we are armed and can resist. The 2nd amendment is not just for hunting and target practice and hobbyists. It is to preserve a free union.

Timeline

I've got no argument about anything mentioned here. It does, however, support my argument that assault rifles are manufactured for one reason, and that's to kill people. Yes, they're fun to fire, and one of the best times of my life was the first time I was able to fire an AK-47.

A full automatic weapon is horrible for hunting. You really don't want to have to pick out a crapload of lead from that big elk you just bagged, you want to be able to take him down in one shot, preferably in the neck. Semi-automatic is great for this, because sometimes you get a second shot if you miss and he's still in your site when he spooks. On the other hand, when you're faced with a human being who also has the capability of killing you, full automatic is what you want. Full auto is designed to kill human beings. You don't give a ####### about how much lead the other guy's family is going to bury him with, you just care that he has been effectively neutralized. For this reason, assault rifle manufacturers do a lot of ballistics studies on what their weapons and ammunition do to a human being. They study how the bullet tumbles through a human torso, and they do everything they can to maximize that tumbling and fragmentation. There is an entire science behind killing human beings, and you can bet that the DoD is VERY interested in the most optimal way to kill another human being.

Mox it is obvious you do not know what you are talking about here. Trust me, there is no optimization done on rifles with short barrels that isn't also done on any other rilfe. DO NOT BELIEVE the MEDIA. You should know better. Actually an AK-47 is a terribly inaccurate weapon, unless it is specially outfitted and "optimized", but even then it will never touch a true match rifle for accuracy. The bullet tumbling applies to game as well, so don't think the human aspect is the only thing. Bullet tumbling is a bad thing but what you mean to say is ballistic shock wave. That sir is by design of the cartridge and not necessarily of the rifle. Don't give the short barrel rifles that much credit.

Mox do you believe assault rifles are Full Auto? Answering this question will tell me if my first sentence is true or not.

Do you know the difference between Full Auto and Semi-Auto?

Also I am not looking to pick a fight, just want to show how the Media spins this stuff so that even the most intelligent can be brainwashed.

Timeline

I would not oppose a ban on ammo designed primarily to penetrate armor, but the bullet vest cops wear wear really designed to stop handgun bullets. Many regular high powered hunting rounds might well penetrate body armor.

The problem with banning any type of ammo is where does it stop? And what if a "bad guy" wearing body armor enters your home and attacks you. You have a weapon but your ammo won't stop him.

I think the power of the 2nd amendment is that if our government turns to tyranny, we are armed and can resist. The 2nd amendment is not just for hunting and target practice and hobbyists. It is to preserve a free union.

AP rounds are not allowed to be owned in many states. There is nothing special about the cartridges that most criminals use. And most criminals are not using high power hunting rounds.

Edited by baron555

Mox it is obvious you do not know what you are talking about here. Trust me, there is no optimization done on rifles with short barrels that isn't also done on any other rilfe. DO NOT BELIEVE the MEDIA. You should know better. Actually an AK-47 is a terribly inaccurate weapon, unless it is specially outfitted and "optimized", but even then it will never touch a true match rifle for accuracy. The bullet tumbling applies to game as well, so don't think the human aspect is the only thing. Bullet tumbling is a bad thing but what you mean to say is ballistic shock wave. That sir is by design of the cartridge and not necessarily of the rifle. Don't give the short barrel rifles that much credit.

So first of all, the AK-47 is an old weapon. It was designed first and foremost to be easily mass produced, easily maintained in the field, and easy for even the most untrained soldier to use. Yeah, I think I might know a little of what I'm talking about. ;) Don't automatically (ha!) assume that I'm just sitting in front of MSNBC listening to what Kieth Olbermann tells me to think. I'm ex-military, I grew up in a hunting and shooting family and have been around guns all my life. I'm a gun owner, and I know my way around a range. (I don't enjoy hunting, but I've been there, done that.) Yes, I'm a raging ** and I believe that gun rights has been taken to extremes that were never intended by the founding fathers. But my head isn't stuck up Nancy Pelosi's аss either. I know there are elements on the left that are trying to take gun control too far, and that's just as wrong as what the NRA is doing. If our ideas about gun control don't exactly mesh, it's not because I'm some kind of media zombie. In fact I'm pretty sure we agree on a lot more than we disagree.

I'm sure gun companies do work on ballistics optimization for game, but the question I was responding to was "how are assault weapons optimized for killing humans?" You're not seriously telling me that there's no optimization for killing human beings going on in the assault weapons industry are you?

Mox do you believe assault rifles are Full Auto? Answering this question will tell me if my first sentence is true or not.

*sigh* Okay, I'll play. Your typical assault rifle can be selectively fired.

Oh come on now. Seriously, I'm not even going to dignify that.

Timeline

So first of all, the AK-47 is an old weapon. It was designed first and foremost to be easily mass produced, easily maintained in the field, and easy for even the most untrained soldier to use. Yeah, I think I might know a little of what I'm talking about. ;) Don't automatically (ha!) assume that I'm just sitting in front of MSNBC listening to what Kieth Olbermann tells me to think. I'm ex-military, I grew up in a hunting and shooting family and have been around guns all my life. I'm a gun owner, and I know my way around a range. (I don't enjoy hunting, but I've been there, done that.) Yes, I'm a raging ** and I believe that gun rights has been taken to extremes that were never intended by the founding fathers. But my head isn't stuck up Nancy Pelosi's аss either. I know there are elements on the left that are trying to take gun control too far, and that's just as wrong as what the NRA is doing. If our ideas about gun control don't exactly mesh, it's not because I'm some kind of media zombie. In fact I'm pretty sure we agree on a lot more than we disagree.

I'm sure gun companies do work on ballistics optimization for game, but the question I was responding to was "how are assault weapons optimized for killing humans?" You're not seriously telling me that there's no optimization for killing human beings going on in the assault weapons industry are you?

No it is just most all weapon manufacturers optmize their weapons for effectiveness. The short barrelled rifles do not have a leg up on any of that. This is the spin of the media showing through your brainwashing. Just because they, the media, choose to call them assault rifles seems to covney they have a special voodoo power of destruction. They are just short barrel rifles. Nothing more.

*sigh* Okay, I'll play. Your typical assault rifle can be selectively fired.

Nope, you and I can not buy nor own anything in Full Auto (except in special cases).

Oh come on now. Seriously, I'm not even going to dignify that.

OK, I won't downgrade you. Full Auto weapons are not allowed to be owned by US citizens (except in a few special cases.) You and I can not buy a Full Auto anything. They are all Semi-Auto. You should know this. The big bad assault rifles are only Semi. Again the medial spinning the information trying to make them out to be worse than they are.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.