Pman's Wife

Travel Warnings: Nigeria

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Friends,

If you're planning on visiting Nigeria, please note the two travel warnings issued this week:

The US Department of State issued this warning today (7/17):

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_928.html

Excerpt: Violent crime committed by individuals and gangs, as well as by some persons wearing police and military uniforms, is an ongoing problem, especially at night. Crime is particularly acute in Lagos. Traveling outside of major cities during hours of darkness is not recommended due to both crime and road safety concerns. Visitors to Nigeria, including American citizens, have been victims of armed robbery on the airport roads from Lagos and Abuja during both daylight and nighttime hours. Some visitors and resident Americans have experienced armed muggings, assaults, burglary, kidnappings, and extortion, often involving violence, as well as carjackings, roadblock robberies, and armed break-ins.

The U.S. Mission issued this one on Monday (7/13):

http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/wm_07132009.html

Excerpt: This warden message is being issued to warn all U.S. citizens of the continuing risks of travel in southern and southeastern Nigeria. On June 29, 2009, a U.S. citizen was kidnapped from a vehicle on the Izombe-Owerri road in Imo State. The U.S. Government worked with appropriate Nigerian authorities to ensure the individual’s welfare, who, fortunately, was released unharmed several days later.

NVC:

2009-09-11 - NVC received.

2009-12-17 - Case complete e-mail message, sign in failed on website and AVR... YAY!

2009-12-17 - Waiting for an appointment assignment...

2009-12-29 - Interview assigned: February 11, 2010!

2010-01-06 - Case forwarded to consulate.

Consulate:

2010-01-12 - Medical exam part 1 of 2 complete.

2010-01-26 - Medical exam part 2 of 2 complete. Ouchie!

2010-02-11 - Interview results: Administrative Processing 221(g) :-(

2010-04-27 - 2nd interview results: Approved :-)

2010-05-04 - Visa in hand!

2010-05-08 - POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The first one is the standard don't travel to Nigeria warning. It has been the same warning for at least 5 years. Foreign nationals kidnapped there are usually not hurt, just held for money. Just like travel any where be careful of your surroundings. There are areas of south central LA that I would bet the embassy would issue the same sort of warnings for.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline
The first one is the standard don't travel to Nigeria warning. It has been the same warning for at least 5 years. Foreign nationals kidnapped there are usually not hurt, just held for money. Just like travel any where be careful of your surroundings. There are areas of south central LA that I would bet the embassy would issue the same sort of warnings for.

"Kidnapped" and "usually not hurt." Seriously? That sounds horrible to me. I've been in American inner cities and I've been in Nigeria. Nothing in California or New York prepared me for Nigeria; a developing nation with underpaid armed police and military men with makeshift road blocks to demand money every few kilometers-- to supplement their low wages.

Granted, I would not have enjoyed myself if I had read these warnings before my trip (clubbing, inter-city traveling, etc.) but I'd be MUCH more careful if I were going there now. It's not American inner city, it's developing and most of us don't know the rules. Why risk it? Just be careful and carry some extra naira. You will need it.

NVC:

2009-12-17 - Case complete e-mail message, sign in failed on website and AVR... YAY!

Consulate:

2010-05-08 - POE

Timeline

Nigeria isn't much different than other poor countries. The pockets of bad are just bigger than here in the US. As long as you are low key and not flashing cash , electronics or jewelry you are probably safe. If you let the notices scare you how will you ever travel there in the future? Most countries in Africa get the same sort of warning.

Timeline

I'm not scared to travel because of notices. I was there less than a month ago and could have written those notices. They confirmed my experiences and what I observed first hand. They made me say "ohhhh, okay!" Regardless of the notices, where ever Pman is, Soso is more than willing to follow and vice versa. We're only stymied by this lengthy visa process in America.

It looks like you have a travel tip of your own about being low key to maximize your safety. It's hard to be an American and not stand out a little though. Nevertheless, I'll start another string for travel tips and include your tip about being flashy. Feel free to join in :yes:

NVC:

Consulate:

2010-05-08 - POE

Timeline

General travel tips.

Leave expensive things at home, especially on a first trip to a strange place.

Western Union one or more emergency money transactions to yourself. If you need the money it is there, if you don't you are only out the transaction fees. Plus you don't have any wad of money that will attract attention.

Leave your plastic at home , with the exception of a single card. Make sure to call the bank and tell them that you may be making emergency charges from out of the country between your travel dates. Also be sure to get their international numbers. Most of the 800 numbers are only good in the US.

Take at least one copy of your passport/visa pages , it helps if you lose yours passport.

Take several smaller memory cards for your camera. That way you can save pictures in sections. If you do lose your camera everything.

Arrange with family a "secret" question that will tell them you want help you can't ask for. Not that you will ever need it but it makes you family feel better.

Timeline

Great! Let's see... :thumbs: Yes, I broke every single one of the rules you listed and then some others that aren't necessarily safety related. I'll list the ones that I know on a new thread called Travel Tips for Nigeria - Culture Related

These tips are more for respecting cultural norms. Thankfully, I didn't break all of them, but worry a little about the ones that I may have overlooked... Meh :blush:

NVC:

Consulate:

2010-05-08 - POE

General travel tips.

Western Union one or more emergency money transactions to yourself. If you need the money it is there, if you don't you are only out the transaction fees. Plus you don't have any wad of money that will attract attention.

Leave your plastic at home , with the exception of a single card. Make sure to call the bank and tell them that you may be making emergency charges from out of the country between your travel dates. Also be sure to get their international numbers. Most of the 800 numbers are only good in the US.

Take at least one copy of your passport/visa pages , it helps if you lose yours passport.

Take several smaller memory cards for your camera. That way you can save pictures in sections. If you do lose your camera everything.

Arrange with family a "secret" question that will tell them you want help you can't ask for. Not that you will ever need it but it makes you family feel better.

Something else I did when I was in Senegal - when we entered a vehicle I texted the license plate and description of the vehicle to a family member along with where we were starting out and where we were going and what time we left and when we should arrive.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Timeline
General travel tips.

Something else I did when I was in Senegal - when we entered a vehicle I texted the license plate and description of the vehicle to a family member along with where we were starting out and where we were going and what time we left and when we should arrive.

:wow: you're good WhidbeyGirl! I treated the whole thing like a trip to Disney World. Same preparation. :blush:

Your timeline is looking good too.

NVC:

Consulate:

2010-05-08 - POE

General travel tips.

:wow: you're good WhidbeyGirl! I treated the whole thing like a trip to Disney World. Same preparation. :blush:

Your timeline is looking good too.

My family was a BIT paranoid with me going to Africa to meet and marry someone they didn't know. All safety plans & nets were in place to ease their minds. My husband even bought a computer and had an internet line installed in his compound so I could have contact with my family every day.

Thank you. I have been amazed by our timeline - God is so good!! When we started this process we didn't think we would be getting an interview until July next year.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.