UmmSqueakster

Ramadan 2009

321 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

If you are traveling a minimum of a certain distance away from your home, something like 53 miles or more, you do not have to fast. However, you do have to make up any fasting you missed, so if it is easier to fast while traveling than to make up the fasts later, it is okay to go ahead and fast.

There are some more technical details but this is the general idea. I searched around but apparently wasn't using the greatest search terms, because I couldn't find much but I know there's a ton of information out there about this.

Maybe someone else has a link handy for it.

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
If you are traveling a minimum of a certain distance away from your home, something like 53 miles or more, you do not have to fast. However, you do have to make up any fasting you missed, so if it is easier to fast while traveling than to make up the fasts later, it is okay to go ahead and fast.

There are some more technical details but this is the general idea. I searched around but apparently wasn't using the greatest search terms, because I couldn't find much but I know there's a ton of information out there about this.

Maybe someone else has a link handy for it.

I am traveling to a different state. I know this was a stupid question to ask but the company I will be training with pays for meals and I was wondering if I should tell them to plan on me not attending any breakfasts, lunch or dinners and just eat in my hotel room or not. If I can make it up I most certainly will. Do you have to wait until after Ramadan to make it up?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hey everybody! I will be traveling one week during Ramadan for work. Are their any fasting allowances for instances like this?

IIRC there are allowances for breaking your fast while traveling, it's something about if you begin your travel before dawn, and/or travel more than 40km or something along those lines. i bet you could google it pretty easily :) or wait for someone more knowledgable than myself to come along and help you out, haha.

Timeline

I got really overheated yesterday, dehydrated, and sooo sick from it. I'm really afraid of fasting here during Ramadan. I don't know if I can handle it. Not sure how to tell Ahmed this, because I think he will be disappointed in me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=...2443&CATE=6

5. If a person is travelling, it is permissible for him not to fast. He must make qada of the missed fast whenever possible. "Travelling" in this context is the same as that mentioned in the chapter on offering salaat while travelling, i.e. one must have the intention of travelling approximately 77 kilometres or more.

6. If by travelling, a person will not experience any difficulties by fasting, e.g. he is travelling by train and feels that he will reach his destination by the evening or he has all the necessary items which will give him comfort during the course of the journey, in such a case it will be preferable to fast even though he is still regarded as a traveller (musafir). But if he does not fast despite all these comforts, even then there will be no sin on him. However, he will be deprived of the virtue of fasting in the month of Ramadan. If a person experiences difficulties because of fasting during the course of his journey, in such a case it will be better not to fast.

So in short, if you're going further than ~50 miles, and you begin before dawn (at least according to the shafi'is) then you're a traveller and do not have to fast. But, if fasting won't cause a hardship, it's better to fast, as the fast of Ramadan is an amazing thing with amazing rewards that can never be matched.

Fasting is for a fixed number of days, and if one of you be sick, or if one of you be on a journey, you will fast the same number of other days later on. For those who are capable of fasting (but still do not fast) there is a redemption: feeding a needy man for each day missed. Whoever, voluntarily, does more good than is required, will find it is better for him;
and that you should fast is better for you, if you only know.
2:184

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
I got really overheated yesterday, dehydrated, and sooo sick from it. I'm really afraid of fasting here during Ramadan. I don't know if I can handle it. Not sure how to tell Ahmed this, because I think he will be disappointed in me.

start practice fasting now - fast until noon, then 12:30, then 1, just to get your body used to it. inshaAllah it is just because you've just come to Egypt and are not used to it.

On the first day of Ramadan last year, my friend and I went to the RNC protests. We marched around in 90+ degree heat for 5 hours, then had to hike 3 miles to catch a bus home, because the stupid rioters had made it too dangerous for the buses to come in. Not fun, but it was doable :star:

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Haven't listened to this yet

irhal.jpg

Timeline

Ah, it gets more complicated :lol: I'll have to dig up my notes from the fiqh of fasting course I took last year. This was the basic outline.

Based on calculations, it's the 12th of shaban. Based on when the moon was seen in north america, it's the 11th.

irhal.jpg

Timeline

I am so frustrated right now and any one who has any suggestions would be helpful.

We were discussing the fast at work (at least I was) anyway, I said because of my meds, I am unable to fast all day, maybe part of the day i can but definatly not till after 1 p.m. So I was telling them about how if you can't fast, you pay a certain amount of money to a muslim person that is poor every day.

OMG! I thought my boss(who happens to be a good friend) was gonna crack. She was like, how can you do that when you are poor yourself. (NOT) I am not necessarily in the position to be able to fork out money like this, but my husband said we don't have to pay it all at once. But she just didn't understand the fast, the paying if you can't fast and all that. Being new to Islam, I feel like I don't have enough knowledge to be able to explain what she needs to know to understand. And not that she would anyway.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Timeline

I can see a lot of beauty in the expiation of fasting:

1. Islam is not a draconian religion that says "you must fast, even if it will cause you great harm." Rather, it allows you the chance to gain barakah (blessings) through other acts of worship, like the giving of the fidyah, that you otherwise miss from fasting.

2. Fidyah depends on your own economic standing. Rather than say everyone around the world must pay the same amount, it depends on the cost of the food in your area, and on what you yourself eat. If you can afford to feed yourself something, then certainly you can afford to feed someone else too.

3. I don't have the references right now, but I seem to remember that if a person is truely destitute (ie has absolutely no money), then feeding himself counts. Don't quote me on that though, have to check it out.

I love to read about the life of the sahaba. One thing that pops up again and again was their willingness to share with those in need even the food they were literally about to put in their mouths.

Narrated Aisha (ra): A lady along with her two daughters came to me asking (for some alms), but she found nothing with me except one date which I gave to her and she divided it between her two daughters, and did not eat anything herself, and then she got up and went away. Then the Prophet came in and I informed him about this story. He said, "Whoever is put to trial by these daughters and he treats them generously (with benevolence) then these daughters will act as a shield for him from Hell-Fire." (Bukhari).

irhal.jpg

i don't get it. what's ahmed got to do with it?

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.