UmmSqueakster

Ramadan 2009

321 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Has anyone ever heard that it's not ok to swim when fasting?? My husband swears he's never heard of anyone swimming during Ramadan and that somehow it's prohibited. I think that's so not true. Anyone heard of this? I hate to say it but I'm a little upset because summer is coming to an end and this so called belief that he has, means no more swimming for the kids before the pools close! He doesn't want me to go swimming but comes up with this too?

Yes. I've heard and read about your husband's "so called belief." Ramadan is not about giving up drink and food only, but also other things you are allowed in other times of the year. That, in addition to the risk of drinking water while swimming.

I'm pretty sure he won't swallow any water sitting in the wading pool with our 5 and 2 year old sons...I'm not talking about swimming olympic laps, just about playing with our kids in the shallow end of the water.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went swimming with my daughter on saturday, and plan on going next saturday as well. everything i've ever read said that swimming is fine as long as you don't swallow water, and the kind of swimming i'm doing with my baby carries no risk of that. i don't imagine the kind of swimming yr husband would be doing with his small children would be much different in that regard, like you said.

#12 Can I go swimming during Ramadan?

Yes, it is ok to swim during Ramadan, as long as you are confident that no water will enter your stomach through your nose or mouth.

http://www.ramadan.com.au/faq

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hicham has been taking our son to the pool at the Y throughout the summer and I mentioned about them going to day and he said he couldn't, but he didn't say it was for the reason of drinking water. He said it was because he didn't want to see people there "naked" and that wasn't good while he was fasting. If it makes him feel comfortable, I'm not going to argue with it. But I'm not a Muslim and I don't see where if you aren't the other spouse should prohibit you from going.

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Amanda- I wrote you a big long answer to your question via PM. Keep the questions coming!

In my Cliff Note version-:P

-Muslims, Jews and Christians worship the same God.

-Muslims believe that Islam (belief in One God only) is the original religion- and that over time, different prophets and books were sent down to say this but the message was changed over time. The Quran was sent down to remind people of this same message again. Belief in One God.

-God looks at your heart. If you are doing things for the good;for God; then He knows that- regardless of which "religion" you are.

What a wonderful supportive wife you are to fast with your husband on his first Ramadan here in the States. I am sure that means a lot to him!! :star:

ah. the longing....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Amanda- I wrote you a big long answer to your question via PM. Keep the questions coming!

In my Cliff Note version-:P

-Muslims believe that Islam (belief in One God only) is the original religion- and that over time, different prophets and books were sent down to say this but the message was changed over time. The Quran was sent down to remind people of this same message again. Belief in One God.

-God looks at your heart. If you are doing things for the good;for God; then He knows that- regardless of which "religion" you are.

What a wonderful supportive wife you are to fast with your husband on his first Ramadan here in the States. I am sure that means a lot to him!! :star:

But their definition of God is different. In Islam, God is one and there are no partners. I say this because some people believe in the trinity and some believe that Jesus is God. Jesus in Islam was a messenger revealing the same message that all the other messengers (peace be upon them) were revealing to the people.

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: Timeline

:thumbs:

I took my boys swimming on Sunday and plan on doing it next weekend, too. My sons are fasting. If you keep your mouth closed or spit out any "accidental" water, you should be good. I mean if you can "taste" food that you're cooking and spit it out, why couldn't you spit out pool water that accidently gets in your mouth?

i went swimming with my daughter on saturday, and plan on going next saturday as well. everything i've ever read said that swimming is fine as long as you don't swallow water, and the kind of swimming i'm doing with my baby carries no risk of that. i don't imagine the kind of swimming yr husband would be doing with his small children would be much different in that regard, like you said.

#12 Can I go swimming during Ramadan?

Yes, it is ok to swim during Ramadan, as long as you are confident that no water will enter your stomach through your nose or mouth.

http://www.ramadan.com.au/faq

In my Cliff Note version- :P

Yup, that's exactly what I was gonna say. Same God, same message, only given yet another time due to the changes that were made by humans trying to make the religions conform to what they wanted rather than what God asked. The movie "the message" is a great great great introduction to how Islam began and the closeness it has with Christianity. This movie helped me to get over my initial "scaredness" of switching religions. I highly recommend watching it. I also highly recommend watching the Arabic version with ur hubby and asking him to translate it (if u have that kind of patience) coz it really brought hubster and I closer together and the Arabic version is much more believable...I've seen both versions and honestly I understood it in Arabic best.

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have a question for all of you because I am getting conflicting answers on the net. My husband said that you aren't supposed to wear make up during Ramadan. Can anybody find some evidence of this for me?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I heard lipstick/chapstick, too. I was told not to wear makeup or perfume but haven't seen any solid evidence. I guess the no makeup and perfume as to not attract unnecessary attention.

Yes that's what I know as well.

lyrics.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

thanks doods for not ripping me apart which i expected...what about the idea God gave us a body to nourish and take care of not to put in pain and things like no water. To me its a contradiction, i know this subject is beyond me and the way it is but why not just give up a few things, extras from each life, coffee, pop, etc etc and wouldnt going somewhere to help the poor or take them food, wouldnt that actually be doing something to help the poor instead of sitting here waiting for the clock suffering which has not helped any poor that i see. My mom seems to not be any worse in the last couple weeks, seems really strange how she at first seemed so bad now a little better but hanging in and can still go to the table and actually feed herself which some cant do but some of the things her mind puts out arent quite correct

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

In my Cliff Note version- :P

Yup, that's exactly what I was gonna say. Same God, same message, only given yet another time due to the changes that were made by humans trying to make the religions conform to what they wanted rather than what God asked. The movie "the message" is a great great great introduction to how Islam began and the closeness it has with Christianity. This movie helped me to get over my initial "scaredness" of switching religions. I highly recommend watching it. I also highly recommend watching the Arabic version with ur hubby and asking him to translate it (if u have that kind of patience) coz it really brought hubster and I closer together and the Arabic version is much more believable...I've seen both versions and honestly I understood it in Arabic best.

I actually just watched this movie with my husband on Saturday...which actually is one of the reasons why I have so many questions. I am seriously torn and confused.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
I actually just watched this movie with my husband on Saturday...which actually is one of the reasons why I have so many questions. I am seriously torn and confused.

Hello. I was just cleaning out my bookmarks folder and found this and thought of you. The page has an informative and interesting comparison chart between Islam, Christianity and Judaism.

Chart

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.