Jenn!

Thinking of leaving...

97 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Before anyone goes there, this is by no means an attention-seeking thread. I don't want people to beg me to stay.

I've become quite fed up with all of the attacks in the ME/NA forum. It has gotten out of hand. For someone to come and post a cartoon of Mohammed in a thread we had going to show our support for a fellow ME/NA member is abhorrent. And I am not even Muslim.

I am fortunate to not have to experience this type of bigotry in our day-to-day life. That's one of the reasons we chose to live in Cambridge, MA (a very liberal town).

I would try to just ignore it all, but I can't help but be upset every time I read the offensive comments. It's no longer a debate, it's outright attacks and they are very hurtful. People can be so brazen from behind their little computer screens. Call me oversensitive if you will, but the sort of racism I'm finding here just hurts my heart.

It's becoming less and less "worth it" to be a member here. So unless something changes, I think I'll be finding a support group that doesn't allow this.

Edited by jenn3539

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to see you go, Jenn, but I understand your reasoning.

Best wishes on your journey -

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Timeline

Jenn, I really do understand your feelings. When this onslaught started a few weeks ago with a certain situation I was so upset I was ill and became very depressed. I have never experienced such nonsense in my life. I won't beg you to stay, but I will tell you I am sorry to see you go. You have to do what is best for you at any given time. I personally am ready to make a stand because no pea-brainers are going to direct the path of my life unless I so choose it with a level head. I'm tired of being an emotional soccer ball. Please take care of yourself, always keep your happiness, and remember there are people who care about you. (F)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Jen I know how you feel but I think you should stay. What will I do without you? I know people are stupid but you can ignore it or fight it but I think you should stay.

Timeline

I am sad to see you go Jenn but I also agree with your reasoning behind your decision...you have been a great member of this board and wonderful source of information...please take care of yourself and hope that we might see you here somewhere in the distant future when the atmosphere might change...Best of luck...Dorothy

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Jenn, I just wanted to say, I hope you stick around. We will be strong if we all stick together. :yes: You are a great person and I enjoy reading your post. Hang in there. :thumbs:

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

A few years ago, I was one of the few on VJ that had a muslim husband/fiancee. Whenever there were negative postings about Islam I would always respond and defend. Many times I thought to leave VJ. But I stay to offer support to others. After a year of arguing and trying to make the blind see the truth, I changed my response.

Now, I read --------then think, and accept I cannot change the world. When you see a post that makes you want to scream and type, turn the page and go to a different thread. So I let it go. Be the best person you can be for Allah and your life partner. Don't give a moments thought to the unbelievers if you are not strong enough now to deal with them.

Jackie

sss

(stay strong sisters! (F) )

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

ignorance and stupidity reign freely on the internet. One day when people can no longer hide behind computer screens, attitudes will only go underground. I agree with jmagayreh. Remember what Einstein said, "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it's important too, to remember that for the posters that spew hate there's just as many like myself, who, while not spending any amount of time in the ME/NA forums, now have a much better understanding and experience of 'regular' Muslim people as a result of your posts elsewhere. You never know what kind of tolerance and understanding you breed just by being yourself around here.

I've been on message boards where I was not so well-liked (shocking, I know! :lol:) and in some cases openly persecuted unfairly. I wanted to leave too (in one case I did). I admit that aside from some differences of opinion with others and my occasional rant I don't have much difficulty on this board, so may not be appreciating the extent of what you ladies and gents face in that forum and elsewhere as a result of your/your SO's homeland/religion, especially in this type of political climate.

Sometimes it's very easy to only see the negative and not realize there are some positives. Which is okay. When I've been there I take a break, and come back when I'm able to deal better. (My strategy, doesn't always work for everyone.)

If you do decide you must leave, I wish you happiness in your future endeavors. :)

(F)

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

ignorance and stupidity reign freely on the internet. One day when people can no longer hide behind computer screens, attitudes will only go underground. I agree with jmagayreh. Remember what Einstein said, "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

Hahahaha... beautiful! (F)

(Anyone noticed there are some beautiful things sprouting up out of the muck of the prior ugliness?) Subhan Allah!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Jenn, I, too, hate to see you go, but understand the frustration w/ idiotic, ignorant, and racist a$$holes - I've been there many times. Sometimes, I just have to walk away b/c well, I can't go there anymore! It's an energetic vampire and I must protect myself - as you should - do what's best for you, but I hope you stick around.... or at least keep in touch through other means. I wish you and Wadi all the best! :luv:(F)

Noura

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Anyone here computer savy? We need to get a web site set up with just us so we don't have to be bothered by all the comments.

I don't want you to go Jenn, but I do understand where you are coming from. This is the most difficult time in my life and I don't need the added pressure of the B.S from the negative comments. I do hope you stay around. (F)

Timeline

Thank you to everyone for your support and your kind wishes. You've given me a lot to think about. Sometimes it's hard to fight the fight, you know? I'd like to think that I'm not the type who would give up, especially when exposure goes such a long way towards opening people's eyes. It's just all so emotionally exhausting.

It's such a shame that such a great resource with so many wonderful, helpful people has to be brought down by the very bitter.

Amy, see the thread regarding ME/NA yahoo group that Rahma is starting. I will definitely be there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thank you to everyone for your support and your kind wishes. You've given me a lot to think about. Sometimes it's hard to fight the fight, you know? I'd like to think that I'm not the type who would give up, especially when exposure goes such a long way towards opening people's eyes. It's just all so emotionally exhausting.

It's such a shame that such a great resource with so many wonderful, helpful people has to be brought down by the very bitter.

Amy, see the thread regarding ME/NA yahoo group that Rahma is starting. I will definitely be there.

Sometimes you find the greatest strength in knowing your boundaries and respecting them. Fight the fight if it's worth it to you, in this place, at this time. If it's not, there's nothing wrong with retreating to fight it in another place and time. Honoring your personal needs and wishes is always appropriate. :)

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

If anyone truly crosses the line please always report the thread :). I will take care of them if they did cross the line... :P I am not aware of issues until they are reported however.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.