VanessaTony

Australian Beneficiaries - Packet 3 to Interview date

1,038 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hey guys!!! I got NOA2 today!!!!

Argggghhhh!!!!

So excited!!!!

We are already married so filing CR1 but Vanessa, this thread has been oh so helpful, so thank you!

My mum is like yours, she knows I'm going to settle there though, but I'm trying to convince her to visit lots ;)

How many suitcases can we take on a plane?

I'm wondering if I can take three big ones and pay extra for taking over two?

Xx

I am SO happy for you. It's so close :) hopefully your CR-1 process isn't too much different to K1 *fingers crossed*

Well, the number of suitcases depends on the airline. I'm flying United who allow 2 cases at 50lbs each (23kgs). If I wanted to take an extra case (which I looked into) it would cost me over $200 American. I called them and they said something like $330. It's insane. SO much cheaper to freight things (not through Aus Post though.. that's just as insane).

I advise calling the airline to ask, but even then I would still be wary thinking that the price would be higher than i thought. /sigh

Personally I'm taking things I can't buy there as well as some things I just prefer. Clothes I like, shoes. Some toilettries. No shampoos or body washes. Minimal makeup, some drugs (like panadol etc). I'm also taking food like vegemite, tim tams (normal and honeycomb), M&M's (ours are SO much better :P), condensed milk (theirs isn't sweet!!), snickers, lollies... Mi Goreng noodles :P. A lot of things that I want his family to try. I'm gunna buy a new hair dryer over there (someone reminded me "plugs Vanessa!!" and I don't wanna lug that transformer into the bathroom). It's hard trying to pack your life into 2 suitcases.

My countdown is getting smaller and smaller. I'm now at a week. I consider it less because I don't count today, and I don't count Saturday 'cause I'm leaving Melbourne at 11am.

Picked up my dress Friday, not the other day like I said in my update. I had some issues with B cup bra cups being already in the dress and those had to be removed because they just looked stupid. The dress looks SO much better with the alterations she's made. She did an awesome job, and when our photo is in the paper, I'm gunna make sure to have a "we would like to thank" section :D

Anywho.. good luck mrsemcee! Keep us updated :D

Good luck to the rest of you all too :D

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Hey guys!!! I got NOA2 today!!!!

Argggghhhh!!!!

So excited!!!!

We are already married so filing CR1 but Vanessa, this thread has been oh so helpful, so thank you!

My mum is like yours, she knows I'm going to settle there though, but I'm trying to convince her to visit lots ;)

How many suitcases can we take on a plane?

I'm wondering if I can take three big ones and pay extra for taking over two?

Xx

I am SO happy for you. It's so close :) hopefully your CR-1 process isn't too much different to K1 *fingers crossed*

Well, the number of suitcases depends on the airline. I'm flying United who allow 2 cases at 50lbs each (23kgs). If I wanted to take an extra case (which I looked into) it would cost me over $200 American. I called them and they said something like $330. It's insane. SO much cheaper to freight things (not through Aus Post though.. that's just as insane).

I advise calling the airline to ask, but even then I would still be wary thinking that the price would be higher than i thought. /sigh

Personally I'm taking things I can't buy there as well as some things I just prefer. Clothes I like, shoes. Some toilettries. No shampoos or body washes. Minimal makeup, some drugs (like panadol etc). I'm also taking food like vegemite, tim tams (normal and honeycomb), M&M's (ours are SO much better :P), condensed milk (theirs isn't sweet!!), snickers, lollies... Mi Goreng noodles :P. A lot of things that I want his family to try. I'm gunna buy a new hair dryer over there (someone reminded me "plugs Vanessa!!" and I don't wanna lug that transformer into the bathroom). It's hard trying to pack your life into 2 suitcases.

My countdown is getting smaller and smaller. I'm now at a week. I consider it less because I don't count today, and I don't count Saturday 'cause I'm leaving Melbourne at 11am.

Picked up my dress Friday, not the other day like I said in my update. I had some issues with B cup bra cups being already in the dress and those had to be removed because they just looked stupid. The dress looks SO much better with the alterations she's made. She did an awesome job, and when our photo is in the paper, I'm gunna make sure to have a "we would like to thank" section :D

Anywho.. good luck mrsemcee! Keep us updated :D

Good luck to the rest of you all too :D

oh my god how exciting for you! i am glad you got the dress sorted too :D

wow.. i think i will end up filling 2 suitcases of 23kgs each reallllly quickly, so i might be mailing stuff over! :P

the plug thing is a good idea. i would have taken my hair dryer but now i will just buy one over there hehe.

hey guess what?!?! my damn police check came back today! all that waiting for one silly piece of paper saying im a goodie two shoes hehe

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey Vanessa,

Just a quick note to say a BIG THANK YOU for this thread.

We just got our packet 3 notification via email yesterday from the Sydney consulate and your experience makes it so much easier to go through the process. Got my DS-230 part 1 in the mail today as had it all ready to go - guess things will move really quickly from here on out.

Good luck with everything and looking forward to hearing about your escapades in the US.

Pav

Timeline

wow.. i think i will end up filling 2 suitcases of 23kgs each reallllly quickly, so i might be mailing stuff over! :P

the plug thing is a good idea. i would have taken my hair dryer but now i will just buy one over there hehe.

hey guess what?!?! my damn police check came back today! all that waiting for one silly piece of paper saying im a goodie two shoes hehe

lol. It's so disappointing when you get it isn't it?.. well kinda.. it's like this single sheet of paper, that says "no records found".. cost me $131!!!

I'm happy to read you got your doctors appt booked too. Let us know if your experience was as good as mine.

Good luck!!

Timeline
Hey Vanessa,

Just a quick note to say a BIG THANK YOU for this thread.

We just got our packet 3 notification via email yesterday from the Sydney consulate and your experience makes it so much easier to go through the process. Got my DS-230 part 1 in the mail today as had it all ready to go - guess things will move really quickly from here on out.

Good luck with everything and looking forward to hearing about your escapades in the US.

Pav

Absolutely no problem. It really is my pleasure. I wish I'd had the ability to scan pages in (I only JUST found my scanner/printer and I'm leaving in less than 2 days). Things will really move quickly from here on out. Just make sure your petitioner has sent your their banks letters and stuff for the Affidavit of support and you should be done in less than 2 months. Had I had all my stuff, i'd've been done in a month... oh well though right? Kept me busy :)

It's so good to see so many of us nearing the end. A lot of people talk about being in LDR's and how they're 4 hours away from each other and they just don't understand how much time, energy and love it takes to go through this process with your loved one. I know personally i have been VERY stressed several times... wanting the paperwork and not having it, wondering what's taking so long. I think all of us (legitimate I mean, the dodgy people have it easy) deserve a medal for going through this really. changing homes, taking in someone from another country and trying to keep them safe, and help them to get accustomed to their new home.

I wish you all the best. You probably won't hear from me till after i have arrived when I will update with my LAX experience :D

Good luck to you all.

lol. It's so disappointing when you get it isn't it?.. well kinda.. it's like this single sheet of paper, that says "no records found".. cost me $131!!!

I'm happy to read you got your doctors appt booked too. Let us know if your experience was as good as mine.

Good luck!!

hahaha YES! i totally agree lol...

though its good i didnt perform some crime i totally forgot about :P

I'm so glad you discovered that you don't have to have your medical in Sydney. What a load off. Getting to Sydney just for the interview is tough if you live on the other side of the country. I was lucky since Sydney is my home.

Regarding rescheduling your interview... I didn't do it myself, but I would suggest that you attach preferred dates to your letter of readiness (the one you send in when you've got everything on the big list :D). It makes sense that they will try to accomodate you as best they can.

If you DO have to reschedule, I wouldn't hesitate to email them. In my experience they have been very good with the email. Both times I received a reply within 24 hours. Again, give them the preferred dates in the email. I hope you can organise a decent time.

Best of luck!

i had nice people too when i emailed. and they were super quick, responding the same day!

hiya breeze and everyone else

good to see you got confirmation from the consulate kaye ...

the medical examiner organises the x-rays ..but check with you local doc to see if you can get tested for your amunity for the others and get it put on your medicare...i have messaged you with other info you might consider also..

tis wonderful to see new faces and many more aussie's coming over to the states..just wish someone of you would be coming up my end..lol..

no news here..just living the life with hubs ..just a normal life eat work sleep and enjoying summer...soon will be football season so goooooo steelers lol...gawd i miss the aussie rules though...

well you all enjoy the time you have in oz with your families and friends treasure every moment take lots of pics and a safe and non eventful entry into the states...

take care

kath

hi simon an janet

i go for the bombers have done for years..whole family does lol....

i am going to have to buy my sister or brother one of those dvd recorders for them to tape games for me lol..they are quite cheap over here and it is constantly recording tv shows that we enjoy...so you are going to be living in philli when you get over here...

who do you go for...?

KATH!!! im a bomber and my hubby is a steelers fan hehe.

goooo bombers!!! (and steelers)

i will miss the AFL buttttt i love the american football and was lucky enough to see the steelers play last season against the titans... unfortunately they lost that game but won the superbowl so it doesnt matter hehe

Edited by mrsemcee

yikes! i dont know what happened there. i was trying to post in another thread and it posted here! haha

i WAS going to say, Vanessa, are you there yet?!!?

hope the trip went well xoxoxo

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well - I'm sure glad I found this thread ... thanks, Vanessa! This one is getting added to favourites ...

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Timeline
yikes! i dont know what happened there. i was trying to post in another thread and it posted here! haha

i WAS going to say, Vanessa, are you there yet?!!?

hope the trip went well xoxoxo

lol. I admit I looked back looking for the posts your quoted :P

I AM here now yes. Feeling a bit jet lagged, so much of my stuff to unpack too :D I am on my fiance's computer at the moment and am about to set mine up so hopefully I'll be able to update you all then :)

Hugs :D

Well - I'm sure glad I found this thread ... thanks, Vanessa! This one is getting added to favourites ...

Thanks and no problem. Welcome :D

Timeline

:dance:!!I HAVE ARRIVED!! :dance:

As you all know, I had my visa approved August 25th and was just waiting for my Sept 12 2009 flight.. well, I'm happy to say, it's now been and gone and here I am in Texas with my FH :D As with previous posts I will split this up so you can ignore my ramblings if you like... I'll split it into "getting there", "the Point of Entry (POE) Experience" and "getting to TX & my FH" (which talks about other LAX stuff.. you might wanna read it... at least the start)

--- GETTING THERE ---

So, as explained in a previous post, my mum, my brother (Alex) and I woke at 4am to drive to Melbourne's Tullamarine airport at 5am. We arrived around 7.30am and parked in the long term car park. We had to drive really far up the back to find a park. I told mum and Alex that it didn't really matter because the bus starts at the end first so you stand to leave earlier than people further up on the same shuttle back to their cars :)

We caught the free shuttle to the terminals without much drama. There were a LOT of people for the first bus so we just waited the extra 3 minutes for a new bus to arrive. No problem :D

We had a look at the board for what desk(s) my flight was checking in from. We were three and a half hours early for my flight so check-in hadn't started yet. I went to go find my line and found there were only 4 people a head of me. Very good :) Check in was supposed to open 3 hours before boarding time so we were there at a good time.

The line moved pretty fast as there were 3 people manning the desks and we checked my bags in. One was 21kgs, and the other was 24.9kgs. Technically I was only allowed 23kgs but I was told (by someone else) that they usually give you a 3kg leeway. Luckily she was right, the girl was in a really nice mood, handed me my tickets as well as my customs declaration, my departure record (for when you're leaving Australia) and a WHITE I-94 form and off we went to sit down :) The fact that the form is white is impt, it's for visa holders (or so my flight attendant told me). Most of you will know from previous visits on the VWP that you're given a GREEN I-94... that's because you don't have a visa. Also, she asked me where I was going to live in the States and I couldn't remember the address. She said that wasn't a good start and after I read it out (it's not a normal street address by any means) she said "oh.. well no wonder you couldn't remember it!!!". I said "yeah, i try, but I haven't sent anything for a while :D".

I still had with me, my laptop and it's bag which contained my "MBE" (mysterious brown envelope) and also a little rolling suitcase that had my dress.. among other things.

We all went to subway to grab some breakfast, and I took the time to fill in my customs form, departure record and I-94. This is because I had the time and didn't want to fish around for a pen on the plane, or waste time afterwards filling it in... turned out to be a good thing as on the flight they handed out the customs form and green I-94's if you needed them, but I suspect had I not had a white one, I would have assumed green and then I would have had it wrong.. so remember WHITE I-94.

Mum, Alex and I sat around talking and noticed a REALLY long line to get through passport control (departure). I asked a passing airport officer who was dealing with the line how long the wait was... he said about an hour.. so as there was only JUST over an hour till my flight left, we stood in line. The line started to move rather fast and I still had 45 mins till my boarding time, so we sat down again and continued to chat. We sat in the purple chairs NEAR the passport control so if the line was gunna get crazy again we could tell.

Eventually it was time to go. I had about 15 mins until I was scheduled to start boarding so after a few tears and hugs goodbye, off I went.

Travelling through passport control was easy peasy 'cause I already had the form ready to go, and then that takes you through a BIG duty free store, and as I was walking through I heard my flight being announced AND my seating area so I hustled and lined up.

My first flight was a little 1 1/2 hour flight from Melbourne to Sydney. There we had to de-plane and take our on-board bags off and switch to another plane as the one we were just on was now heading to San Francisco and they had to clean it and run security checks. That didn't take very long (maybe 1/2 hour) and I bought a bottle of water ($3.70!!) and then we hopped on a different plane for our lovely 13 and a bit hour journey...

We were fed, and watered, but I was happy to have milky ways and Le Snaks and minties on board. I was seated in the middle section, 2nd row from the middle of the plane where there was a HUGE screen on the dividing wall (which is the little kitchen) so watching TV was good. The sound quality in the airline earphones was bad so I plugged my own in. I slept a little because they play "looped" shows and don't allow you your own screen (at least on this flight) so when a ####### show was on I'd just sleep. Wasn't too loud in the plane. There were some high school students and they were moving around a LOT which annoyed a few people. There was talk of the "smell of gas" on the plane but no-one could figure out where it was coming from....

Anyway, there was a REALLY good tailwind so we arrived at LAX an hour early so now I had a 2 1/2 hour layover.

--- THE POINT OF ENTRY (POE) EXPERIENCE ---

I arrived at LAX on a BIG flight with lots of people so I was quite happy to stand in the US citizen line, which was significantly shorter :P

When I arrived in the line I pulled my envelope out of my carry on (HAS to be with you) and grabbed my passport. The line moved well and maybe 15 minutes I was waiting... The gentleman I dealt with was very nice. He opened my envelope and I passed him my passport open at the visa page. He also asked for my I-94 and my customs declaration.

He had a quick read through everything, asked me about my medical (he couldn't find it) and I showed him where it was (by pointing, couldn't actually TOUCH the paper) and he told me I had the "all clear" (I knew obviously but it was still good to SEE it :P). He then stamped something and told me I had till Dec 11 2009 to marry or leave. He then stamped my passport and wrote the same date, and scribbled on my visa to "void" it. He also pointed out my Alien Number which I needed "for always" so I needed to note that. That was also in my passport so I will write it down somewhere safe and make sure my family and my FH has the number "just in case".

He didn't really ask too many questions. He might have asked when the wedding was but mostly because I was "pre-approved" and I didn't look dodgy I was just waved through. Maybe took 5 minutes.. if that for him to process me. Oh, he also saw I ticked food and said "vegemite? tim tams?" I said yep and other chocolate :)

--- GETTING TO TEXAS & MY FH!! ---

So after leaving the POE guy, I had to turn right and go to a carousel to collect my bags for customs. Luckily there are trolley's right there, and you don't have to pay for them 'cause I have two cases and there was no way I was going to be able to shift 2 x 23kg bags plus my carry on. I had to wait like 20 minutes between bags... I was seriously starting to think someone had stolen my bag.. I mean they get loaded together... how did they get so far apart? Word of advice, wrap colourful tape around a handle or something.. my case is purple, I thought it was rare.. turns out it's not :P So anyway, you grab your bags, stand in line (line was HUGE by the time I got my bag, and I was one of the first people there... grrr) and then you get to a desk where they check your customs form. We had a little chat. He asked when I was getting married and I said Nov 7. He asked why that date and I explained my sister in Germany, the Marine birthday (turns out he's an ex-marine too) but that the Marine bday is the 10th and that's not on the w/end so the 7th it is. He said he and his FW are getting married and were thinking the same thing. Then he waved me through.

Through the door there was a guy standing near a conveyor belt. He grabbed my two suitcases off the trolley and threw them on the belt. I said "Thank you. I'm keep these two" and he nodded and I grabbed my carry on off the trolley, and put the trolley away.

Here is where it gets hard! There was a sign saying "Passengers for re-checking" or something like that and that we had to go upstairs, and something about Terminal 7. After that ONE sign, there was nothing else. So, I go up the stairs and I'm looking around, can't find anything. I think, hmm maybe I missed something downstairs but there's no stairs going down! I see a lift but there's a long queue of people in wheelchairs and I feel bad so I ask the lady monitoring line size where the stairs to get down are, she told me and I walked off that way. I didn't find the stairs but I did find this other line... and I started to explain to the official guy there what my problem was and he just said "ticket". So I handed it over and he said, yep, this line. and that was it. So I stood behind this lady and asked what the line was for, she said "to change to another connecting flight".. AHA! I was in the right spot. I would explain how I got there but some people got there a difft way to me so I don't wanna confuse you. Basically it's upstairs... just ask someone where to catch connecting flights when you get upstairs :D I actually "beat" some of the people who were ahead of me to get to that line.. it was really confusing.

So there was maybe an hour till my flight LEFT and the line was huge. It wasn't moving very fast either. When I got to the front there was a guy with a weird torch checking the passports and then waving you through. After he waved you through you went to a security desk where you had to take out your laptop, take off your shoes, and put that through the X-ray.. and WORD OF ADVICE.. keep your ticket and passport in your hand. I didn't and he had to get the girl to check before he would even let me step through the xray machine. I had to explain where it was... /sigh

Anyway, caught the next plane to Denver... The flight took about 2 hours and 15 mins, and then an hour layover in Denver before heading off to Houston. I called my FH from LAX (there's phones near the carousel where you collect your bag for customs.. but you need quarters) and Denver. The flight from Denver to Houston was delayed 40 mins but because I gave my SIM to my brother (as I had no use for it in the USA) I couldn't text tony and I didn't have enough money for another call.. so I just hoped it'd be on time.. it wasn't. /sigh. I was 40 minutes late (AND I hadn't told him my flight details so he couldn't even check the board!.. he just knew it was from Denver and what time I was supposed to arrive... oops!) The flight from Denver to Houston again was 2 hours. 15 minutes.

They didn't tell us what carousel for our bags so when I got to the baggage claim area, I was looking around and then THERE WAS TONY!! He said I looked so confused so he came to rescue me. We waited around to collect my bags and then went to the car where he had 6 long stem red roses sitting on the front seat for me (Awwww!). We grabbed food on the way home (can't think of the name of the place right now), and then went to bed early. I was SO tired.

The next day he had the day off work so we went shopping for real food and other stuff.. I was still jet-lagged so we went to bed early and i woke at 6am Monday.. wide awake.. lol. Since then my sleep pattern has been fine. Tony has school Monday - Friday and he works most days. He's wagging school tomorrow because he has the day off work. We need to get me phone, and pick our wedding rings and buy a microwave :D Things are good. Taking a little while to get used to I think. It's so weird after so long realising we're finally in the same timezone. That things are like they were 9 months ago.. scarcely believing it's been nine months... though I felt every one when I was in Australia.

Like I said though, things are good. I did have a little emotional moment over spending so much money on sunday to get us "home ready"... it wasn't a LOT really but we needed pots and pans and things as well as food to cook with (the roommate that had all that stuff just moved out... so he was on his own with no microwave, kettle, pots or pans... luckily the mate only JUST moved out so I think it was just a couple of days that he had no "normal" food).

Anyway.. there you go. I hope my little experience helps you out, gives you a laugh, or gives you hope.

Good luck to you all. If you have any questions, as always please ask :)

Hugs

V* :)

p.s. I may or may not update this thread prior to the wedding... obviously time will tell, but I WILL let you know when I start the AOS and I will check to see if anyone has any questions. Hugs again :D

oh wow, i am SO happy for you guys!

sounds like it was awesome to finally see him :)

i get tingles thinking about it!

i will be flying in via Dallas, hehe... so i will give you guys a bit of a wave on the way over :P

good luck for the wedding, let us know how it goes!

xoxoxo

hey Vanessa and everyone watching this thread.. i had my medical today with Dr Charles in Melbourne.. another success!

here is my story... http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218704

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.