VanessaTony

Australian Beneficiaries - Packet 3 to Interview date

1,038 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hey all,

Arrived in San Antonio and now Married, now trying to sift through the paper work, huzzah!

Will be popping in to Social Security on Monday to try and get a SSN, because I can't do anything without one! Now to work out if that document means I AM allowed to work or not. I'm thinking yes.

Thanks for all the help gang.

Unfortunately no you can't work, not without an EAD.

Someone discussed it ages ago and explained that although SSA documents state we're allowed to work without DHS authorisation, you will STILL get a SSN with "valid with DHS authorisation" on it. Apparently that had a lot to do with EAD stamps being given at the POE (which isn't done anymore) so the K1 could work. Someone else suggested it was because some states required a SSN to get a marriage (which someone else said was untrue or how else do people have "destination weddings"?).

ALSO, I think it had something to with, if you want, you can apply for an EAD now, prior to AOS and you would need the SSN to work using the EAD. You will need to pay the fee for it, and it only lasts until the I-94 expiry date which, depending how long it takes to arrive (with AOS it takes about 2 months to arrive), could mean you just paid around $300 for 1 month of work.

Really right now the SSN only allows you to go on bank accounts and health care stuff and other sorts of things that need a SSN. It's good because a joint bank account is thought to be good "proof of co-mingling". Once you get the greencard you can go back to the SSA and have the DHS Authorisation thing removed (which apparently is beneficial but I forget why).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but at least you're here in the US and with your beloved :D YAY! (and in texas like me too :D.. though I'm leaving at the end of March.. woot!)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Got our marriage certificate in the mail today! A word of advice for anyone else getting married in Los Angeles County...take the time to go in person to the Norwalk office of the County Clerk and register your marriage there. If you do it there, and give them an express envelope, you will get your certificate within 10 business days. From what I was told, if you register at any other office, it takes up to eight weeks! We registered our marriage on Thursday and we got the certificate two days later! So making the trip down there was worth it...even though it was two hours on the bus both ways lol.

So, looks like we can file for AOS by next week. Yay!

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline
Got our marriage certificate in the mail today! A word of advice for anyone else getting married in Los Angeles County...take the time to go in person to the Norwalk office of the County Clerk and register your marriage there. If you do it there, and give them an express envelope, you will get your certificate within 10 business days. From what I was told, if you register at any other office, it takes up to eight weeks! We registered our marriage on Thursday and we got the certificate two days later! So making the trip down there was worth it...even though it was two hours on the bus both ways lol.

So, looks like we can file for AOS by next week. Yay!

Ugh jealous!! I can't file till we move (well I CAN but it's dangerous esp when I don't know when biometrics will be scheduled.. don't wanna risk them being booked in Texas!! :S )

Excited for you though!

Timeline

Ugh Vanessa that sucks! You can file sooooon though! I'm just excited that we can file way sooner than I though. Makes me hopeful we will be all done by the time we are going to Mexico for our honeymoon!

Timeline
Ugh Vanessa that sucks! You can file sooooon though! I'm just excited that we can file way sooner than I though. Makes me hopeful we will be all done by the time we are going to Mexico for our honeymoon!

Ah yes! You should at least DEFINITELY have AP by then and if it gets transferred to CSC then it's likely you won't get an interview. It'll be good to go on honeymoon all official and complete though... I'm excited to get mine but also scared 'cause it's $300 to get a new one if it's stolen/lost etc and knowing MY luck **knock on wood** I will.

Timeline
Ah yes! You should at least DEFINITELY have AP by then and if it gets transferred to CSC then it's likely you won't get an interview. It'll be good to go on honeymoon all official and complete though... I'm excited to get mine but also scared 'cause it's $300 to get a new one if it's stolen/lost etc and knowing MY luck **knock on wood** I will.

No no, you will not lose anything! Think positive :)

Though I am always scared I will lose all that important paperwork, I make Alex put it all in a safe place :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Unfortunately no you can't work, not without an EAD.

Someone discussed it ages ago and explained that although SSA documents state we're allowed to work without DHS authorisation, you will STILL get a SSN with "valid with DHS authorisation" on it. Apparently that had a lot to do with EAD stamps being given at the POE (which isn't done anymore) so the K1 could work. Someone else suggested it was because some states required a SSN to get a marriage (which someone else said was untrue or how else do people have "destination weddings"?).

ALSO, I think it had something to with, if you want, you can apply for an EAD now, prior to AOS and you would need the SSN to work using the EAD. You will need to pay the fee for it, and it only lasts until the I-94 expiry date which, depending how long it takes to arrive (with AOS it takes about 2 months to arrive), could mean you just paid around $300 for 1 month of work.

Really right now the SSN only allows you to go on bank accounts and health care stuff and other sorts of things that need a SSN. It's good because a joint bank account is thought to be good "proof of co-mingling". Once you get the greencard you can go back to the SSA and have the DHS Authorisation thing removed (which apparently is beneficial but I forget why).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but at least you're here in the US and with your beloved :D YAY! (and in texas like me too :D.. though I'm leaving at the end of March.. woot!)

But what's with this 20 page document Visa Journey told me to print out that says K-1 visa holders CAN work, I don't get it! How am I going to get a SSN then?

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-16

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-24

NVC Received : 2009-10-26

NVC Left : 2009-10-27

Consulate Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-01-06

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-11

Interview Date : 2010-02-09 - APPROVED!

Visa Received :

US Entry : 2010-02-16

Timeline
But what's with this 20 page document Visa Journey told me to print out that says K-1 visa holders CAN work, I don't get it! How am I going to get a SSN then?

You can get an SSN but it will be stamped "Valid with DHS Authorization". DHS Authorization is the EAD. Once you get your GC then you can go back to the SSA and get the "DHS" part taken off.

It's a bit confusing I know but basically a K1 visa doesn't have a "no work" rule.. unlike how people on visitors visa CAN'T work.. so K1's are able to apply for an EAD, and in order to USE the EAD you need an SSN.

There's lots of threads about the SSN issue but basically head off to the SSA and have a SS-5 form completed (take your passport too of course) and you should get a SSN issued with no problem in your VISA name. Trust me, you CAN get a SSN.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

OK so what do I tick, able to work or not able to work?

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-16

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-24

NVC Received : 2009-10-26

NVC Left : 2009-10-27

Consulate Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-01-06

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-11

Interview Date : 2010-02-09 - APPROVED!

Visa Received :

US Entry : 2010-02-16

Timeline
OK so what do I tick, able to work or not able to work?

"able". Try not to think about how confusing it is :P

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi guys :) an update from me ...

I got my blood results back today! It showed immunity to MMR and chicken pox, so I should be good be all set at the medical and if not, oh well lol. I got printouts of the Boostrix I had last week and these current immunity blood results.

I booked an appointment at the Melbourne Consulate for my baby's CRBA stuff, for March 31st. Still waiting on the other half to finish the paperwork and post it over, but I've given him a deadline as I just want to get this part out the way and paid for etc.

I have been working on putting our K1 together. I have done our cover letter, intent letters and my G-325A. I plan on having it ALL done, before I leave for the States in June (apart from the evidence of meeting and us signing each document and etc). I have dated everything July 1st, so we will be July filers ... I cannot wait!! We would file in June but we thought having a few weeks together first, to get a good collection of photos, atm receipts etc, would be better. We will only have to get a photocopy of his birth certificate (he has no passport) and our pics and we should be good to go! Oh and I'm going to make 3 or 4 copies of our petition, just to be on the safe side!

Can you tell I'm very excited? lol ... I can't wait to be with him permanently with no more trying to catch each other online because of work and stupid time differences lol.

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

Hi guys :) an update from me ...

I got my blood results back today! It showed immunity to MMR and chicken pox, so I should be good be all set at the medical and if not, oh well lol. I got printouts of the Boostrix I had last week and these current immunity blood results.

I booked an appointment at the Melbourne Consulate for my baby's CRBA stuff, for March 31st. Still waiting on the other half to finish the paperwork and post it over, but I've given him a deadline as I just want to get this part out the way and paid for etc.

I have been working on putting our K1 together. I have done our cover letter, intent letters and my G-325A. I plan on having it ALL done, before I leave for the States in June (apart from the evidence of meeting and us signing each document and etc). I have dated everything July 1st, so we will be July filers ... I cannot wait!! We would file in June but we thought having a few weeks together first, to get a good collection of photos, atm receipts etc, would be better. We will only have to get a photocopy of his birth certificate (he has no passport) and our pics and we should be good to go! Oh and I'm going to make 3 or 4 copies of our petition, just to be on the safe side!

Can you tell I'm very excited? lol ... I can't wait to be with him permanently with no more trying to catch each other online because of work and stupid time differences lol.

YAY it will be here before you know it hunny! I am sure I am not the only one to totally relate with the catching each other online between schedules -- it truly sucks trying to organise it all but we all do what we can for the one we love. I am lucky with Eric's work schedule being work rom home 2 nights a week & in the office 2 nights....which means he goes to bed whenI do at night & we get our days (well his nights) on web cam talking & getting stuff done. It also makes a HUGE chunk of evidence for the interview with a tonne of chat logs.

Eric mailed the I134 to me this morning and weighed it before hand -- 11lbs! HOLY #######! I guess it isnt too bad considering it has my copy of the I129F in it as well. I should have it all here by Friday our time...fingers crossed!

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

03/02/2009 - Reservations Made For My Flight To NH

06/11/2009 - Leave For Face To Face Meeting in NH

06/20/2009 - Last Kiss or Touch for 4 Months

07/21/2009 - Flights Booked For Eric To Come Down Under

10/17/2009 - Eric Arrives In Sydney

10/17/2009 - Eric Proposes -- YAY!

10/22/2009 - Engagement Photo Shoot In Sydney Harbour

11/01/2009 - Eric Flies Back To USA To Begin K1 Process.

12/03/2009 - I 129F FILED

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

12/12/2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

03/10/2010 - APPROVED!!!!!

03/17/2010 - NVC Sends Petition to Sydney

03/22/2010 - Sydney Receives Petition

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Received

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Returned To Consulate

03/29/2010 - Packet 4 Received

04/06/2010 - Interview

04/06/2010 - APPROVED!!!!

04/08/2010 - Visa In Hand.

04/10/2010 - FLIGHT TO USA!!!

04/19/2010 - SSN received in mail.

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

09/23/2010 - GC Approved!!!

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline
YAY it will be here before you know it hunny! I am sure I am not the only one to totally relate with the catching each other online between schedules -- it truly sucks trying to organise it all but we all do what we can for the one we love. I am lucky with Eric's work schedule being work rom home 2 nights a week & in the office 2 nights....which means he goes to bed whenI do at night & we get our days (well his nights) on web cam talking & getting stuff done. It also makes a HUGE chunk of evidence for the interview with a tonne of chat logs.

Eric mailed the I134 to me this morning and weighed it before hand -- 11lbs! HOLY #######! I guess it isnt too bad considering it has my copy of the I129F in it as well. I should have it all here by Friday our time...fingers crossed!

That schedule works out well for you guys! Mine is all over the place, we don't have a set time when we talk, sometimes it's in the morning and sometimes it's through the arvo/evening, we just try and catch each other whenever lol. He is always in and out with work, gym, basketball and then often falls asleep on the lounge and wakes up later and pops on for a minute for a quick chat. We voice chat through Yahoo most of the time, not sure if I can get voice chat logs from there? We rarely email each other ... so not sure if we'll have sufficient email evidence of our relationship ... but we have a baby together!! LMAO.

Jesus 11 lbs!! :blink: WTH is in that package?! LOL ... I thought it would just be a few bits of paper eek! Must have cost a fortune to post lol ... ahhh the things we do for love haha.

Crossing my fingers for you Tez ...

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

Hey everyone! Been a while since I have posted but I have been lurking hehe. Hope everyone is well. Been super busy here getting ready for Damo to come over. He gets here in a little over 3 weeks! We are getting married May 1st, I so cant wait for that. I cant believe I only have 3 more Friday nights without him. The trees are blooming here, so I'm excited by the time he gets here spring will be in full bloom and we can go on trips on the weekend and maybe it wont be raining all the time lol.

Talking about schedules and talking to our sweeties, for the last 3 years I have lived on a very strict schedule to be able to talk to him. Everything is pretty much planned around that lol. He has told me over the years to not to do it, but I just cant go do stuff or not jump on my computer when I know he is available to chat. Damo has a skype cell phone, so I pretty much get to chat with him anytime I want. I usually talk to him on his drive to work, then chat with him on his lunch break for an hour, then on his drive home from work. Its really been great cause he gripes about work and even though the schedule is set in stone I feel like a normal couple even though we are on the other side of the planet from each other. So when he gets here the schedule will be over. Im really looking forward to that lol. It will take me a few weeks to not think, ok i need to start cooking dinner by 5 so i can have it done and eaten before his lunch break at work. My kids I think love it cause they are usually starving when they get home from school, and eating so early has done wonders for my waist line. hehe.

Jules

ROC

Date Sent : 06/07/2012

Date Received :06/09/2012

Check Cashed : 06/13/2012

NOA Date : 06/11/2012

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Greencard Received:

pwned_girl.gif

Timeline
Hey everyone! Been a while since I have posted but I have been lurking hehe. Hope everyone is well. Been super busy here getting ready for Damo to come over. He gets here in a little over 3 weeks! We are getting married May 1st, I so cant wait for that. I cant believe I only have 3 more Friday nights without him. The trees are blooming here, so I'm excited by the time he gets here spring will be in full bloom and we can go on trips on the weekend and maybe it wont be raining all the time lol.

Talking about schedules and talking to our sweeties, for the last 3 years I have lived on a very strict schedule to be able to talk to him. Everything is pretty much planned around that lol. He has told me over the years to not to do it, but I just cant go do stuff or not jump on my computer when I know he is available to chat. Damo has a skype cell phone, so I pretty much get to chat with him anytime I want. I usually talk to him on his drive to work, then chat with him on his lunch break for an hour, then on his drive home from work. Its really been great cause he gripes about work and even though the schedule is set in stone I feel like a normal couple even though we are on the other side of the planet from each other. So when he gets here the schedule will be over. Im really looking forward to that lol. It will take me a few weeks to not think, ok i need to start cooking dinner by 5 so i can have it done and eaten before his lunch break at work. My kids I think love it cause they are usually starving when they get home from school, and eating so early has done wonders for my waist line. hehe.

Jules

Haha I hear you on the scheduling! Alex and I lived together for two and a half years while I was in the US on a student visa, so when I went home last year to wait for the K1 it was so weird to have to schedule 'skype dates" so we could see each other! Since we both worked full time, the only time we could talk was my Saturday and Sunday afternoons, which was his Friday and Saturday nights. Thank God for Skype, I don't know how we would have coped.

Three more weeks...So soon for you Jules! Those last few weeks flew by for me, as did the three weeks in between me getting back to LA and the wedding. Can't wait to hear all about you guys being reunited!

Side note - If anyone wants to see wedding pics, Clicky!

Edited by alex and astrid

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.