VanessaTony

Australian Beneficiaries - Packet 3 to Interview date

1,038 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Got my interview on Tuesday, trying to work out if I should go with Jeans or Trousers?

I dressed pretty nicely, skirt and blouse. I treated it like a job interview. A lot of the other K1's that were with me that day were pretty similar.

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Hi people! :) I thought I better check in and tell you all I got here safely and without any dramas. I've been here for just over a week and the time has just flown by. I've hardly been online since I got here because my man was on leave and I feel bad about sitting online while he's at home.

I flew from Brisbane to LAX with V Australia. I thought they were just as good as the times I've gone with Qantas. The vego food I got was pretty good considering it was airline food. I knew before hand that I'd have to pay $135 for my second suitcase which I thought was reasonable. I thought I'd be able to stuff everything into one suitcase but realised the day before that it wasn't going to happen (what the heck was I thinking???) I had to rush out and get another suitcase the day before I left. So then I was also able to bring the clothes and shoes that were in the 'maybe' pile. The first one was 32.1kg and the second one 22kg and then I had a small carry-on suitcase as well. I could only just fit all my stuff on the luggage trolley when I got to LA. Lol.

My POE went very quickly. There was hardly any line at immigration and customs when I got there and I only had to wait about 5 minutes for my bags. Then I had to wait about 3 hours for my connecting flight to Washington DC. I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time between my connecting flight. I went with Virgin America and I was really happy that they didn't charge me for my baggage. I was supposed to pay $20 for each suitcase but I think they must have forgot. Lucky for me! I was also lucky that on both flights there was a spare seat between me and the next person. It was nice to have a little extra room. I slept most of the way to DC and I was so glad to be there after a 22 hour journey. I was tired but it was so good to see Dwight there waiting for me at the baggage carousel after 10 months waiting.

It was kind of crazy going from 30 something degree C heat in Brisbane to below 0 here. Saturday it snowed all day and again last night and they are forecasting another snow storm for the weekend. It's so pretty outside with everything covered in white snow. I'm so happy to finally be here with my man in my new home....it's so nice and cosy :)

I hear what you are saying about the snow, my girl just laughs at me and say's "how cute" as I sit staring out the window at the snow! But it is so crazy coming from Brisbane to see it.

Now it is time for me to start getting the paperwork in place for the AOS I guess, what are all you guys doing on this?

Jason

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Timeline
I hear what you are saying about the snow, my girl just laughs at me and say's "how cute" as I sit staring out the window at the snow! But it is so crazy coming from Brisbane to see it.

Now it is time for me to start getting the paperwork in place for the AOS I guess, what are all you guys doing on this?

Jason

AOS is in the back of my mind all the time, but I haven't gotten around to looking at the paperwork! would be an awesome idea to get the jump on it though, so when it's time to file, we don't have to stuff around.

Timeline
AOS is in the back of my mind all the time, but I haven't gotten around to looking at the paperwork! would be an awesome idea to get the jump on it though, so when it's time to file, we don't have to stuff around.

It's soooo must less paperwork (in my opinion) than the K1. Much less running around. It's like getting P3, there's a list, you send the list and *done* (well maybe an interview, maybe and RFE but mostly.. done :P)

Check the link in my signature about AOS. I researched it a couple of weeks back so that I'm not surprised when it gets to it. Hope that it helps you out :)

Timeline
It's soooo must less paperwork (in my opinion) than the K1. Much less running around. It's like getting P3, there's a list, you send the list and *done* (well maybe an interview, maybe and RFE but mostly.. done :P)

Check the link in my signature about AOS. I researched it a couple of weeks back so that I'm not surprised when it gets to it. Hope that it helps you out :)

Yeah, your thread is so helpful!! I've had a look around at the forms and such tonight, it really looks like a breeze compared to the K1!

Jason

:lol: I've been doing the same thing too. I hope our neighbours don't see me peering out the window all time and think I'm spying on everyone. It looks so pretty outside with everything covered in snow. Where in the US are you Jason? We're just outside of Washington DC and we got so much snow from the blizzard on the weekend. We got out the tape measure when we were shovelling the driveway and it was at 17" and still snowing. I can't believe how much snow we got and it has started again tonight. I'm happy because it means my man doesn't have to go to work again tomorrow. It would be nice if he gets all week off.

I'm going to have to get my butt into gear and start looking at the AOS stuff so I'm prepared for when we get to that point too.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Visa Approved!

Now to fly out on Tuesday. Just saw the AOS fee, have no idea how I'll afford that!

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-16

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-24

NVC Received : 2009-10-26

NVC Left : 2009-10-27

Consulate Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-01-06

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-11

Interview Date : 2010-02-09 - APPROVED!

Visa Received :

US Entry : 2010-02-16

Timeline
Visa Approved!

Now to fly out on Tuesday. Just saw the AOS fee, have no idea how I'll afford that!

Congrats!! Yeah, the AOS fee sucks. Just as well Alex got a great Tax return a few days ago!

Timeline
Visa Approved!

Grats!

Ditto on the AOS fee. That's why Tony and I have waited. We're waiting for his tax return :D woot woot :D

Visa Approved!

CONGRATS!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

03/02/2009 - Reservations Made For My Flight To NH

06/11/2009 - Leave For Face To Face Meeting in NH

06/20/2009 - Last Kiss or Touch for 4 Months

07/21/2009 - Flights Booked For Eric To Come Down Under

10/17/2009 - Eric Arrives In Sydney

10/17/2009 - Eric Proposes -- YAY!

10/22/2009 - Engagement Photo Shoot In Sydney Harbour

11/01/2009 - Eric Flies Back To USA To Begin K1 Process.

12/03/2009 - I 129F FILED

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

12/12/2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

03/10/2010 - APPROVED!!!!!

03/17/2010 - NVC Sends Petition to Sydney

03/22/2010 - Sydney Receives Petition

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Received

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Returned To Consulate

03/29/2010 - Packet 4 Received

04/06/2010 - Interview

04/06/2010 - APPROVED!!!!

04/08/2010 - Visa In Hand.

04/10/2010 - FLIGHT TO USA!!!

04/19/2010 - SSN received in mail.

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

09/23/2010 - GC Approved!!!

:lol: I've been doing the same thing too. I hope our neighbours don't see me peering out the window all time and think I'm spying on everyone. It looks so pretty outside with everything covered in snow. Where in the US are you Jason? We're just outside of Washington DC and we got so much snow from the blizzard on the weekend. We got out the tape measure when we were shovelling the driveway and it was at 17" and still snowing. I can't believe how much snow we got and it has started again tonight. I'm happy because it means my man doesn't have to go to work again tomorrow. It would be nice if he gets all week off.

I'm going to have to get my butt into gear and start looking at the AOS stuff so I'm prepared for when we get to that point too.

I am in Colorado and it is so beautiful!!

I can see the "front range" from my lounge room and on a clear day it is just breathtaking.

Yes I have seen the news reports on all the snow and it looks crazy and can understand why your man is not working due to the snow.

Jason

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

I am in Colorado and it is so beautiful!!

I can see the "front range" from my lounge room and on a clear day it is just breathtaking.

Yes I have seen the news reports on all the snow and it looks crazy and can understand why your man is not working due to the snow.

Jason

Colorado is so pretty. And Just wait until spring giggles if you think the snow is pretty Washington DC is beautiful in the spring! I live on Puget Sound across from seattle. Living on the water is amazing here, and i have a clear view of the Olympic mountains. After three years of this I still look out my window and just gaze lol. Washington state has ruined me on living anywhere else in the US, dont think ill ever move away from here. Told Damo that we will have to keep a house here and one in Aus lol. Wait til the australian dollar goes back down to .50 to 1.00 american and go buy a house over there for half the price, hehe.

Just got a huge tax return myself, yay for having kids. So that covers the wedding, AOS and the time Damo will have off work. Hardest part will be in making myself go to work everyday after he is here next month. Only 6 weeks til he gets here!

ROC

Date Sent : 06/07/2012

Date Received :06/09/2012

Check Cashed : 06/13/2012

NOA Date : 06/11/2012

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Greencard Received:

pwned_girl.gif

Timeline

Hey everyone, this an off-topic post but it is something that has roused my curiosity. I just finished reading a book called "Committed" by Elizabeth Gilbert, the author who also wrote "Eat, Pray, Love." Anyways, the basis of this book is her own K1 journey during 2006/2007. In her story though, there seem to be several inconsistencies with what we all know about getting a K1, and I don't know if it's just her taking some creative licence or if it's just down to the fact that it was back in 2006 and things were different. I do know that the K1 process was changed due to IMBRA being introduced.

So, two things that she said was that once her fiance was in the US, that they had 30 days to marry - which we all know to be incorrect, at least currently. She also wrote as if she had an inside knowledge of how her case was proceeding at USCIS, for example, knowing when her own FBI name check was completed. She wrote that it was her lawyer that told her this, but since when are even lawyers privy to each stage of case proceedings? As far as I know, and in my own case, the only time we knew that something was achieved in the case was when we got our NOA's. Then, she also mentioned about having to show joint bank accounts at the petition stage, which again isn't even needed until AOS.

So, just a few things that kind of bugged me. Does anyone know if back in 2006 if what Gilbert has stated is correct or she has taken some licence with her writing? Because if she has, it's a tad irresponsible.

Timeline
Hey everyone, this an off-topic post but it is something that has roused my curiosity. I just finished reading a book called "Committed" by Elizabeth Gilbert, the author who also wrote "Eat, Pray, Love." Anyways, the basis of this book is her own K1 journey during 2006/2007. In her story though, there seem to be several inconsistencies with what we all know about getting a K1, and I don't know if it's just her taking some creative licence or if it's just down to the fact that it was back in 2006 and things were different. I do know that the K1 process was changed due to IMBRA being introduced.

So, two things that she said was that once her fiance was in the US, that they had 30 days to marry - which we all know to be incorrect, at least currently. She also wrote as if she had an inside knowledge of how her case was proceeding at USCIS, for example, knowing when her own FBI name check was completed. She wrote that it was her lawyer that told her this, but since when are even lawyers privy to each stage of case proceedings? As far as I know, and in my own case, the only time we knew that something was achieved in the case was when we got our NOA's. Then, she also mentioned about having to show joint bank accounts at the petition stage, which again isn't even needed until AOS.

So, just a few things that kind of bugged me. Does anyone know if back in 2006 if what Gilbert has stated is correct or she has taken some licence with her writing? Because if she has, it's a tad irresponsible.

I don't think many things have changed in 4 years at all. This actually is a pretty interesting "off topic" conversation. i'd love to see you post it there and see what they think...

Timeline

I posted it in the off topic area, got quite a few replies!

In other news - One more week until myself and Natalie are married women! Woot!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.