VanessaTony

Australian Beneficiaries - Packet 3 to Interview date

1,038 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Congrats Astrid.

I've just gotten my police check done, far out that was a hassle, hope it all goes through well, Medical tomorrow and wouldn't you know it, I left an immunisation record at home (only megingacoccle), so yea. Had serology done, turns out stuff I REMEMBER having shots for I'm not immune too, so I think tomorrow will suck for my arm and my wallet.

Hoping I can get all the details of the medical & police check in the first week of January, wishful thinking I know, but hey there's always hope.

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-16

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-24

NVC Received : 2009-10-26

NVC Left : 2009-10-27

Consulate Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-01-06

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-11

Interview Date : 2010-02-09 - APPROVED!

Visa Received :

US Entry : 2010-02-16

Best of luck for it all Chris.

A quick question for everyone -- In regards to the medical, I know they are valid for 12 months after being done as well as the police check. As I have to have a medical done for my 12 year old daughter, will it pose any issue for us to look into getting our medicals done sooner rather then later? I am also looking at doing the police check in advance as well so that thing may run a little smoother considering I have to organise my son who has opted to stay behind here with my parents to finish out Year 11 & 12.

From all I have read on this site I dont think it would matter but at the same time I am just wanting to make things a little smoother as there is not just me to worry about in the process.

Has anyone else in the Australian group had children go through the journey with them? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

03/02/2009 - Reservations Made For My Flight To NH

06/11/2009 - Leave For Face To Face Meeting in NH

06/20/2009 - Last Kiss or Touch for 4 Months

07/21/2009 - Flights Booked For Eric To Come Down Under

10/17/2009 - Eric Arrives In Sydney

10/17/2009 - Eric Proposes -- YAY!

10/22/2009 - Engagement Photo Shoot In Sydney Harbour

11/01/2009 - Eric Flies Back To USA To Begin K1 Process.

12/03/2009 - I 129F FILED

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

12/12/2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

03/10/2010 - APPROVED!!!!!

03/17/2010 - NVC Sends Petition to Sydney

03/22/2010 - Sydney Receives Petition

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Received

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Returned To Consulate

03/29/2010 - Packet 4 Received

04/06/2010 - Interview

04/06/2010 - APPROVED!!!!

04/08/2010 - Visa In Hand.

04/10/2010 - FLIGHT TO USA!!!

04/19/2010 - SSN received in mail.

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

09/23/2010 - GC Approved!!!

A quick question for everyone -- In regards to the medical, I know they are valid for 12 months after being done as well as the police check. As I have to have a medical done for my 12 year old daughter, will it pose any issue for us to look into getting our medicals done sooner rather then later? I am also looking at doing the police check in advance as well so that thing may run a little smoother considering I have to organise my son who has opted to stay behind here with my parents to finish out Year 11 & 12.

From all I have read on this site I dont think it would matter but at the same time I am just wanting to make things a little smoother as there is not just me to worry about in the process.

Has anyone else in the Australian group had children go through the journey with them? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You generally can't do your medical until you have your case number which you won't get until your NVC approval if I remember correctly.

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

In regards to your medical, Terri, a lot of the panel doctors will not do it without your NVC case number. you would need to contact the doctor in your state. The doctor I saw would not proceed with the medical unless I had my case number. the police check you can do ahead of time though, and you just ask for it to be sent to your house.

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll write a longer review for the consular review section, but in a nutshell it was all pretty smooth. First one in, first one out, very friendly CO, though she did ask me a fair few questions and kept calling Alex my boyfriend....did not even get asked to show my evidence (darn it, it was so good!) and I should have my visa by Friday!!!

Thats AWESOME news Astrid! Congrats! Are you still planning the wedding for Feb 20th? We just got our invites organised - the date reads brilliantly - 02/20/2010 :D How exciting!!!!

OUR TIMELINE

Feb 20 2010 - The Wedding :D

AOS

Mar 26 2010 - Sent AOS

Apr 8 2010 - Rec NOAs for AOS/EAD/AP

May 3 2010 - Original Biometrics Appointment...pfft dont ask...

May 6 2010 - AOS sent to CSC

Jun 11 2010 - Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment

Jun 2010 - Rec EAD & AP

Jul 7 2010 - notification of GC Card Production & Welcome Letter (text messages and emails)

Jul 19 2010 - Rec GC

LIFTING CONDITIONS

Apr 25 2012 - File date

Apr 30 2012 - NOA rec

May 31 2012 - Biometrics taken

Dec 18 2012 - notification of Green Card Production (text message and email)

DEC 21 2012 - Rec GC

event.png

Timeline

Yes Natalie, we will be wedding date twins!! Alex said the same thing about the date - he has a very scientific brain, and he said the numbers felt good to him :)

So, without further ado -

My Interview Experience

Flew down to Sydney and back with Virgin Blue, and stayed at the Central Sydney YHA. I would recommend the YHA to everyone, it's in a good location, cheap, but with great amenities. Did not sleep very much at all Monday night, due to nerves/excitement and my epic sunburn. Appointment was for 8am, so I planned to wake up at 6am so I would not be rushed. I bolted awake at 5.30 and decided to just get up, since there was no way I could get back to sleep.

Took my time getting ready, checked out of the YHA, left my bag in their lockers ($6 for pretty much a full day's rental) and walked over to Central station. Got the train to Martin Place at 7am, but it took me a while to find the MLC Center once I was out of the station. I thought I would come out the station and it would be right there, but I guess I took the wrong exit. Anyway, got a juice because I was far too anxious to eat, called Alex to calm me down (what a good fiance he is) and then it was finally 7.30 and we could go up to level 10. Went up, handed over my handbag and sat down in the second row of chairs. We all got called up to the lift, and me being sneaky, let everyone in ahead of me so I could be the first one out when we got to level 59. This is where it got a bit strange.

I was the first out the lift, went right to security, and the guard could not find my name on the list. She double checked my letter and let me in anyways. Got ticket number one, and barely sat down when I was called to the first window. The man made small talk with me, took my prints, and then went to grab my file...which he came back and said he could not find. Cue me having an instant panic attack. He asked me if I was already married, to which I said no, I was pursuing a K1. He checked with me what Alex's full name was, went looking again, and then finally found my file. Have to say it was pretty nice to see our file again! He looked through it, took my passport, receipt and platinum post envelope, and got me to check some things off that I had missed on one of my forms. He said that everything looked good to him, and to enjoy the view and take a seat for the CO interview. And yeah, the view is amazing. Lucky buggers.

It was another five minutes or so before the CO called me forward for my interview. I took the oath and she asked me if I had been to the states, how long was my longest visit, what degree did I get while I was studying in the states, explain my living situation with Alex during the time I was in the states, did my parents like Alex and what kind of wedding were were planning. And as I mentioned earlier, she referred to Alex as my boyfriend a few times, which each time in my response I corrected her as him being my fiance. She did not ask to see my big folder of additional evidence, or my ring, or anything, just asked questions related to the original petition. I think the CO asked me so many questions because she had a woman from another immigrant section with her, maybe doing some training, as she was explaining her thought processes to her as she was typing my answers into her computer. She then made a comment to the woman who was listening in about the I-134 which I found interesting. The CO mentioned that the Affidavit is not even needed, and they do not really look for a certain dollar amount to be reached by the petitioner (meaning, the 125 percent of the poverty level), though she did mention the poverty level was around 17,000. So I guess, when she is adjudicating, she just wants to see that they make more than the poverty level, though not always the 125 percent marker. I don't know if she was just talking about what she looks for, or what Sydney looks for in general. It just piqued my curiosity, since we all are sticklers for that on VJ!

She chatted more to her coworker about some other points of Adjudication, and I was just standing there for a few more minutes, so I asked "What should I tell Alex about the interview when I leave here?" and she said "Oh, you're approved." and handed me the letter saying how I would get my visa. So I thanked her, and got myself downstairs as quick as I could to get my phone to tell Alex! I didn't cry like I thought I would, I just had a massive sense of relief that the hard part was over and the uncertainty was gone. And Alex was just as relieved, and went on facebook while we were talking to let everyone know we were a success. Ah, youth and technology :)

So that was it really. Was in MLC for pretty much an hour, but only spent 20 or so minutes within the consulate. All in all, a quick and easy experience. Spent the rest of the day wandering around Sydney, window shopping and ducking into every Maccas I saw to check my email and get on VJ! Was meant to be back in Brisbane 5.30 tonight, but due to Virgin Blue being a pack of idiots, didn't even get into Brissie until 8.30 :/ Glad to be home though and have a decent sleep.

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Yes Natalie, we will be wedding date twins!! Alex said the same thing about the date - he has a very scientific brain, and he said the numbers felt good to him :)

So, without further ado -

My Interview Experience

Flew down to Sydney and back with Virgin Blue, and stayed at the Central Sydney YHA. I would recommend the YHA to everyone, it's in a good location, cheap, but with great amenities. Did not sleep very much at all Monday night, due to nerves/excitement and my epic sunburn. Appointment was for 8am, so I planned to wake up at 6am so I would not be rushed. I bolted awake at 5.30 and decided to just get up, since there was no way I could get back to sleep.

Took my time getting ready, checked out of the YHA, left my bag in their lockers ($6 for pretty much a full day's rental) and walked over to Central station. Got the train to Martin Place at 7am, but it took me a while to find the MLC Center once I was out of the station. I thought I would come out the station and it would be right there, but I guess I took the wrong exit. Anyway, got a juice because I was far too anxious to eat, called Alex to calm me down (what a good fiance he is) and then it was finally 7.30 and we could go up to level 10. Went up, handed over my handbag and sat down in the second row of chairs. We all got called up to the lift, and me being sneaky, let everyone in ahead of me so I could be the first one out when we got to level 59. This is where it got a bit strange.

I was the first out the lift, went right to security, and the guard could not find my name on the list. She double checked my letter and let me in anyways. Got ticket number one, and barely sat down when I was called to the first window. The man made small talk with me, took my prints, and then went to grab my file...which he came back and said he could not find. Cue me having an instant panic attack. He asked me if I was already married, to which I said no, I was pursuing a K1. He checked with me what Alex's full name was, went looking again, and then finally found my file. Have to say it was pretty nice to see our file again! He looked through it, took my passport, receipt and platinum post envelope, and got me to check some things off that I had missed on one of my forms. He said that everything looked good to him, and to enjoy the view and take a seat for the CO interview. And yeah, the view is amazing. Lucky buggers.

It was another five minutes or so before the CO called me forward for my interview. I took the oath and she asked me if I had been to the states, how long was my longest visit, what degree did I get while I was studying in the states, explain my living situation with Alex during the time I was in the states, did my parents like Alex and what kind of wedding were were planning. And as I mentioned earlier, she referred to Alex as my boyfriend a few times, which each time in my response I corrected her as him being my fiance. She did not ask to see my big folder of additional evidence, or my ring, or anything, just asked questions related to the original petition. I think the CO asked me so many questions because she had a woman from another immigrant section with her, maybe doing some training, as she was explaining her thought processes to her as she was typing my answers into her computer. She then made a comment to the woman who was listening in about the I-134 which I found interesting. The CO mentioned that the Affidavit is not even needed, and they do not really look for a certain dollar amount to be reached by the petitioner (meaning, the 125 percent of the poverty level), though she did mention the poverty level was around 17,000. So I guess, when she is adjudicating, she just wants to see that they make more than the poverty level, though not always the 125 percent marker. I don't know if she was just talking about what she looks for, or what Sydney looks for in general. It just piqued my curiosity, since we all are sticklers for that on VJ!

She chatted more to her coworker about some other points of Adjudication, and I was just standing there for a few more minutes, so I asked "What should I tell Alex about the interview when I leave here?" and she said "Oh, you're approved." and handed me the letter saying how I would get my visa. So I thanked her, and got myself downstairs as quick as I could to get my phone to tell Alex! I didn't cry like I thought I would, I just had a massive sense of relief that the hard part was over and the uncertainty was gone. And Alex was just as relieved, and went on facebook while we were talking to let everyone know we were a success. Ah, youth and technology :)

So that was it really. Was in MLC for pretty much an hour, but only spent 20 or so minutes within the consulate. All in all, a quick and easy experience. Spent the rest of the day wandering around Sydney, window shopping and ducking into every Maccas I saw to check my email and get on VJ! Was meant to be back in Brisbane 5.30 tonight, but due to Virgin Blue being a pack of idiots, didn't even get into Brissie until 8.30 :/ Glad to be home though and have a decent sleep.

That is awesome Astrid! Love how Alex updated FB while you were talking...Eric & I were doing that when he left here last...well I was updating so his family could see where he was in transit. I keep reading that I am so glad it went so well for you :)

Thanks for the advice regarding the medical everyone..I am talking to Eric now on web cam (gotta love technology!) and I just read to him what the consensus is...so I will go in & initiate my police check tomorrow, at least that little step is out of the way.

I am going to spend a little more time with my amazing man before we both collapse to sleep (he works 3rd shift)

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

04/06/2010 - Interview

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

As for your medical I would have it done as soon as you get your case number from NVC. When you get your NOA2 notice email I would start calling NVC 3 days after that to see if they have received your case. They will ask for name and date of birth for both of you, and will give you the case number when they have it. The Phone number at NVC is: 603-334-0700. Your case number will start with a SYD then the number. As soon as you have that number get your medical booked and get in to do it. Dont wait for packet 3, as it all moves super fast once at the NVC center.

ROC

Date Sent : 06/07/2012

Date Received :06/09/2012

Check Cashed : 06/13/2012

NOA Date : 06/11/2012

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Greencard Received:

pwned_girl.gif

Timeline

So on the train home from my medical, was all pretty easy.

I saw Dr Waks, very nice guy, friendly, explains everything that is going on, goes through all the forms, works out the shots needed then gives you a standard physichal, then the shots. Then you have to go head up to Macquarie Street for the blood test & x-ray.

Dr. Millar (the other NSW doctor) is in the Macquarie Street centre where you have the blood test & x-ray so if you're looking for lack of walking, that's the place to go. If however you like something close to a train station, Dr Waks is super easy to find, across the road from Wynyard station.

It was all very quick (not painless as I needed 2 shots) and I hardly had to wait for anything (except that my bad timing saw Dr Waks out for lunch when I came back with my x-ray). As an aside, if you're on a private health fund, you can keep the reciepts for any shots you have and claim that back from your healthfund. I'll work out how much everything cost all up when I get home, I know the Consult was $209, everyplace accepts plastic so no need to worry about cash.

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-16

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-24

NVC Received : 2009-10-26

NVC Left : 2009-10-27

Consulate Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-01-06

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-11

Interview Date : 2010-02-09 - APPROVED!

Visa Received :

US Entry : 2010-02-16

As for your medical I would have it done as soon as you get your case number from NVC. When you get your NOA2 notice email I would start calling NVC 3 days after that to see if they have received your case. They will ask for name and date of birth for both of you, and will give you the case number when they have it. The Phone number at NVC is: 603-334-0700. Your case number will start with a SYD then the number. As soon as you have that number get your medical booked and get in to do it. Dont wait for packet 3, as it all moves super fast once at the NVC center.

Thank you so much for letting me know...I have noted the phone number & emailed it to Eric so he can make note of it to call them once we get to that stage. I am just being my usual ####### self trying to be as prepared & organised as I like to be lol.

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

04/06/2010 - Interview

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

Timeline
Send P3 to the embassy via express postage on Friday, still waiting for P4. Hopefully tomorrow! :whistle:

Im sure you'll get it tomorrow. Took two days to get it. Got ours toward the end of the day, checked it that morning and went out and enjoyed the australian summer then when we got back in was in my inbox. Cheers!

Sadly, not today either. Let's shoot for tomorrow. if it's not emailed by Friday i might call and see if they have any info for me.

TIMELINE:

December, 2008 - Started talking on plentyoffish.com

March 25, 2009 - Left Australia to to meet her

March 28, 2009 - Finally met in person!!

April 30, 2009 - Engaged

May 4, 2009 - Returned to Australia

June 26, 2009 - Filed I-129F

July 6, 2009 - NOA1 Received

July 25 - August 12, 2009 - Janet visited Simon is Australia for 2 and a half magical weeks. Met the family and is loved by all of them! :)

September 18, 2009 - NOA2!!!!!

September 28, 2009 - NVC Received

October 1, 2009 - NVC Sent

October 7, 2009 - Consulate Received

October 14, 2009 - Medical

October 17, 2009 - December 8 - Simon visiting Janet in the U.S

December 11, 2009 - Packet 3 sent

December 18, 2009 - Packet 4 received

January 12, 2010 - Interview date

January 14 2010 - Visa Received

January 23 2010 - US Entry

February 7 2010 - Marriage

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Astrid - Congrats!! :dancing:

Natalie - nearly time for you to fly off. Very exciting.

Nothing exciting here - no news is good news. Will do my police check when I get back home. 5 days and a wake up!! Wish me luck I don't get turned around at POE ...

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Timeline

!!URGENT UPDATE!!

I don't know how many of you search the threads, but today by chance I came across one that provided this link: http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/hom...900006480a6a10b

The long and short of it is there is a proposed rule in the works that will change the K1 visa fee (the one you pay prior to the interview I think it is) increasing from US$131 to US$350. An increase of 167%. It will also change all the other visa categories fees, but obviously most of us care about the K :P Search for "Page 66079" (ctrl+f) and under that is a table that explains the current fee, the proposed fee, and the % increase.

Please feel free to read the inital thread http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=233058 which asks that people complain about it so that we don't get this fee. Personally I think it's bullshit because we'd be reliant on the US$ at the time... so if it drops down the 50c again, us Aussie's would be looking at paying $700! As it is the fee doesn't change as the dollar changes as we've all seen so it's... yeah... bullshit.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

This is just outrageous! I am reading the proposal now and I also read the thread here.

I have emailed the link to Eric at work for him to read through...the visa fee doesnt bother me so much as the AOS one does...we were looking at $1600 for my daughter & I....if the cahnges go through we are talking double that *gulp*

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

04/06/2010 - Interview

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

Timeline
This is just outrageous! I am reading the proposal now and I also read the thread here.

I have emailed the link to Eric at work for him to read through...the visa fee doesnt bother me so much as the AOS one does...we were looking at $1600 for my daughter & I....if the cahnges go through we are talking double that *gulp*

You found something about the AOS fees changing??? Where?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.