VanessaTony

Australian Beneficiaries - Packet 3 to Interview date

1,038 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Interview date - December 15, at 8am!! Was hoping to get in on the 8th, but all the appointments for that day must have been taken. It's all good!

We both got the appointment letter in the email today, and I am not missing anything, just got to bring the passport, payment, evidence etc...Will bring extra passport pics just in case too! On my letter though, under additional comments was "FormDS194RefusalSupplemental 02/20/08". Does anyone know what it means, or does everyone have that on their letter?

Yay - Congrats Astrid ... :star:

Thanks! Oh, to everyone waiting to pay their visa fee, I think you can just go ahead and pay it, and not wait for your P4 letter....the reason I say that is that the amount you pay to Aus Post is linked to the exchange rate, my letter says I have to pay $157 AUD, but it also says "subject to change". I just checked the exchange rate, it's more like 140-ish now. So when I go tot pay it, I guess I just tell them that I need to pay a US visa fee, and what it is worth in USD, and let them figure out the exchange.

Just looked at airfares, looks like its going to be about $160 to fly there and back....and for once, Virgin Blue is cheaper than JetMaggot! (sorry, I have a vendetta against Jetstar). Going to stay at the YHA Central Sydney or Railway square, for 41.50 a night. Cheap and central is good in my book! Wonder if I will happen across any other Vj'ers while I am there?

Unfortunately no to the payment thing. (bolding it so it's obvious) Basically you HAVE to tell them the AUD amount, and that's what's on your letter. The reason it says "subject to change" is because it does change so say you postpone, they might do a change in the meantime. Unfortunately the rate doesn't change daily, they pick a date to check it, and change it if needed. At the time of me going for my visa it was WAY less than $170 in exchange but I HAD to pay what my letter said, that's what they check it against.

When you go to the post office and they look it up, it doesn't say anything. It doesn't have an amount, or a rate, or anything, well I spose it does kinda, it just says $0.00, my post office lady showed me. You are the one that tells them the amount and they have to enter it. Let us know how your experience goes though just to make sure mine wasn't difft, but I'm pretty sure.

Re your flight. Are you flying in the day before?

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Interview date - December 15, at 8am!! Was hoping to get in on the 8th, but all the appointments for that day must have been taken. It's all good!

We both got the appointment letter in the email today, and I am not missing anything, just got to bring the passport, payment, evidence etc...Will bring extra passport pics just in case too! On my letter though, under additional comments was "FormDS194RefusalSupplemental 02/20/08". Does anyone know what it means, or does everyone have that on their letter?

Yay for you! How exciting!! :) Hopefully my interview won't be far behind yours. I really want to get my visa before Christmas so I can leave early in the new year.

Awesome grats! We hopefully will get the medical in the next day or two. Damo carries the packet with him to work just incase he gets it lol. Dr. Charles is right around the corner so he can just go pick it up when they call him, head to the post office down the street and mail it out asap. He stopped by the drs office yesterday on his lunch break and it still wasnt ready, but atleast the lady was kind to him this time, rofl.

So Damo might be up there with you on the 15th. Ill let you know ;)

ROC

Date Sent : 06/07/2012

Date Received :06/09/2012

Check Cashed : 06/13/2012

NOA Date : 06/11/2012

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Greencard Received:

pwned_girl.gif

Hi all

So this is a bit of a random question but one I am sure we all have to think about and deal with at some point and that is what type of things have you needed or need to do before you leave to be with your loved one?

Has anyone seen a list of things needed to do to make the move less stressful?

Things I am thinking about is

Do you close your aussie bank a/c's

cancel insurances?

What to do about your aussie super?

I am just trying to get my head around all these little things so I am not having to try and deal with them from the other side of the world.

Good luck to all my fellow interviewers over the next few weeks, it is getting so close and we will all be with our loved ones very soon!!

Jason

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Timeline
Hi all

So this is a bit of a random question but one I am sure we all have to think about and deal with at some point and that is what type of things have you needed or need to do before you leave to be with your loved one?

Has anyone seen a list of things needed to do to make the move less stressful?

Things I am thinking about is

Do you close your aussie bank a/c's

cancel insurances?

What to do about your aussie super?

I am just trying to get my head around all these little things so I am not having to try and deal with them from the other side of the world.

Good luck to all my fellow interviewers over the next few weeks, it is getting so close and we will all be with our loved ones very soon!!

Jason

Okay well i didn't really have a "plan" because I was living at home and thus have storage. I did go through everything I own and sort "take", "store" and "charity". The "store" stuff i kinda feel bad about but I think until i can afford to mail it over it'll be fine.

As for bank accounts, i left my Visa debit card open, as well as my standard account. I have a few bills to pay in Australia still (like a phone that was cheaper that leave for 5 months, and my credit card) and it seemed easier to leave Aussie money in an Aussie account, rather than paying transfer fees every month. I think leaving your account for bills is a good idea, as is a visa debit card because i don't know if you want to carry around X amount of money when you travel. Opening a bank account in the US is pretty easy but you need a SS number (well i did) so you could just send the money to your fiancee. I sent myself some funds from the AU account (ANZ) to my US account (Wells Fargo) and i got charged AU$25 to do that, and US$25 to receive it (bastards never told me that.. whatever though right?). Maybe speak to your bank to see if you can cancel your account from overseas.

Superannuation fund you reminded me about so I've just emailed them to ask what can be done. Luckily I'm young enough there's a bit of money in there, but not lots so they might just give it to me... i honestly don't know but I'll let you know when i do :)

Health care - talk to your fund to see whether they'll cover you overseas, and whether they'll cover you till you get cover when you get here. Personally I have travel insurance until Dec 12 (when my return flight is.. it was cheaper to book return) and after that... you know it kinda worries me a little seeing i'm used to going to the doctor when I feel shitty but Tony has some form of insurance through work that I have to investigate.

Medicare - i've just left my medicare card as is. Mailing address is my parents house so they'll let me know about anything

Tax return - I forgot to tick "probably won't need to lodge one" so i have to research that.. or my mum will as she's used to be an accountant. She'll tell me

Electoral roll - this needs to be changed so you don't get fined for not voting. here's a link --- http://www.aec.gov.au/FAQs/Voting_Overseas.htm#osyearmore it tells you that you need to fill in a form to remove you from the roll. Here's the form: http://www.aec.gov.au/pdf/enrolment/forms/...R022Nw_0208.pdf

Drivers licence - apparently you have 3 years after your licence expires to renew it to just get a new card. BUT if you leave it longer than 3 you'll need to re-sit the test. So whether you just let it lapse, or surrender it... Here's a link for Victoria --- http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licens...henOutOfVIC.htm it's the only one i could find but doesn't talk about permanently being out of the country. I would assume you can just let it lapse and then get it again if you go back. Here's info for "international licences" driving in Victoria -- http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licens...ersLicences.htm

General mail & memberships - any subscriptions you should redirect or cancel. Cancel your gym membership. Maybe if you play Warcraft change the address there, or your payment info if you're paying with a credit card you just canceled. Make sure you have your mail redirected in case there's something you've forgotten. I don't think they redirect overseas so maybe to your parents or a friend that will manage that for you.

Bills/Utilities - if you are canceling utilities remember to give them enough time to send you a "last" bill. Or switch to online bills :)

Hope that gives you a good idea :)

Good luck :D

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Vanessa - thankyou for explaining! They have changed how you pay the visa fee since I was last issued a visa three years ago. How I described it above was how it was when I got my student visa. How they do it now isn't fair though, since you are paying more than the equivalent of $131 usd :(

oh, and I am flying down the night before, because my appointment is so early, but because of what happened to you :P

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline
Fiance's Visa APPROVED today!!!!!

Here before Christmas, we're so happy.....

:dancing::dance:

CONGRATS!

Timeline

Congratulations!!!

Timeline
Vanessa - thankyou for explaining! They have changed how you pay the visa fee since I was last issued a visa three years ago. How I described it above was how it was when I got my student visa. How they do it now isn't fair though, since you are paying more than the equivalent of $131 usd :(

oh, and I am flying down the night before, because my appointment is so early, but because of what happened to you :P

lol. I was gunna say make sure you leave the day before :P lol. Ugh I still think about how ###### that day was :P

I agree about the visa fee. I applied for a visitor's visa back in 08 and I just paid the fee they said at the post office, it was automatic. When i did mine (around the 5th August) I paid AU$170 but at the time the exchange rate was 81.3c so it SHOULD have been $155. I remember adding it up a couple of days beforehand and then getting and letter and thinking.. "ummm no.. it... ugh. Whatever...". i mean I HAVE to pay it... ripping me off though :S

Good luck with your interview!

Yeah it would be better if it was calculated on the current exchange rate, but I figure it is a crazy expensive process anyway so an extra $10 or so does not make a difference.

I have given up counting the cost as it is silly how much it all is really I just want my visa so I can get to my girl.

It is near now.

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Good luck to all you girls with all this name change stuff, I guess that's a benefit of me moving, she'll stay there and do all her name change stuff over there.

I like being a male.

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-16

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-24

NVC Received : 2009-10-26

NVC Left : 2009-10-27

Consulate Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-01-06

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-11

Interview Date : 2010-02-09 - APPROVED!

Visa Received :

US Entry : 2010-02-16

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Congratulations you two!! ... :thumbs:

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

I am so glad I found this thread...such an amazing wealth of information!

Congrats to all those who recently got approved & Congrats to those who just got married :)

We are just finishing compiling our 129F and Eric is sending it next Monday (US Time), so then the waiting begins. We have sort of guesstimated that my daughter & I will arrive there around May providing it all goes smoothly.

I look forward to sharing out journey with all of you as we go :)

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

03/02/2009 - Reservations Made For My Flight To NH

06/11/2009 - Leave For Face To Face Meeting in NH

06/20/2009 - Last Kiss or Touch for 4 Months

07/21/2009 - Flights Booked For Eric To Come Down Under

10/17/2009 - Eric Arrives In Sydney

10/17/2009 - Eric Proposes -- YAY!

10/22/2009 - Engagement Photo Shoot In Sydney Harbour

11/01/2009 - Eric Flies Back To USA To Begin K1 Process.

12/03/2009 - I 129F FILED

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

12/12/2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

03/10/2010 - APPROVED!!!!!

03/17/2010 - NVC Sends Petition to Sydney

03/22/2010 - Sydney Receives Petition

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Received

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Returned To Consulate

03/29/2010 - Packet 4 Received

04/06/2010 - Interview

04/06/2010 - APPROVED!!!!

04/08/2010 - Visa In Hand.

04/10/2010 - FLIGHT TO USA!!!

04/19/2010 - SSN received in mail.

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

09/23/2010 - GC Approved!!!

Timeline
Good luck to all you girls with all this name change stuff, I guess that's a benefit of me moving, she'll stay there and do all her name change stuff over there.

I like being a male.

I can't wait to change my name, actually! I've known ever since Alex and I started dating that I would marry him....I've been waiting nearly five years to be his wife so it's about time! And he has a really nice last name, much nicer and easier to say and spell than mine, lol! I do have to say though that it seems more annoying to change your name in Australia than in the US....Queensland especially, since they seem to not want to take international marriage certificates, meaning I will need to do a legal name change when I get around to it...

I had my medical exam with Dr Yates today. Astrid, basically it went the same as yours.

I did my urine test first and then waited about 10 minutes to see the doctor. We went through the vaccination sheet and the questions on the medical exam worksheet. Then he asked me to undress to my underwear and he checked my weight and height, gave me the Boostrix and MMR vaccines. Then he listened to my breath/lungs and heart (from my back and front), did a breast exam, pressed around on my belly, took my blood sample and then asked if I had any ankle problems. I sat up he tapped my knee to test my reflex, check in my ears, eyes and open my mouth and say ahh.

Next came the part which I thought was a bit weird....he asked me to stand up turn towards the wall bend over and touch my toes (butt towards him and all I'm wearing is my underwear. #######??) :blink: I did it quickly without really thinking about it but then I started to think about it.....was he checking out my butt??? I can't think why it was necessary to turn around and bend over infront of him (standing about 2m away). Couldn't he have seen if I could touch my toes when I'm facing him? Does anyone know if there was a legitimate reason for this? I then had to stand on my toes and turn back towards him, squat, stand up and raise my arms above my head which I guess was all to see if i had any injuries/problems. I got dressed and then he asked me to read the bottom row on the eye chart (don't need to be nearly naked for that). He told me everything was all good and the exam was over. Then I went and got my x-ray done.

Everything was done in about 1.25 hours and all up it cost me $541 (exam, x-ray, blood test $466, MMR $30 & Boostrix $45). Now I just have to wait to get the results which should be Friday (maybe) or Monday.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.