SupportOAFJF

Yardies at Home and a Farrin (part16)

7,074 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Does anyone have any job searching tips for my hubby? How did you or your spouse go about getting employment with no experience in the US?

He has submitted so many applications. I want to know if there is something else we should try.

does he have resume? what are his skills?

Yes, we put together resume. He worked as a mechanic in jamaica. But he doesn't have driver's license yet. So we are going for what ever job..that make money.

he don't want to donate plasma?

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
ok, weekend is here. who have plans?

kk and hubby going fishing tomorrow.

anybody else?

I'm leaving at noon today to drive to Kansas City, MO for a softball tournament starting tomorrow. Going to chill by the pool till everyone else gets there tonight and then go out for a while. Tomorrow will probably be all day softball. In a way, I want to win tomorrow and go into Sunday. In a way, I just want to drive home tomorrow night. Guess we will see. Probably will go out tomorrow night too if still there. Only issue is it's a really small town and there are only like 2 bars to go out to. Not like there will be all that much excitement probably.

Does anyone have any job searching tips for my hubby? How did you or your spouse go about getting employment with no experience in the US?

He has submitted so many applications. I want to know if there is something else we should try.

We had Andre's previous employer in JA write him a recommendation letter before he left JA. Put it with all applications and resumes.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

lawd JG! what a gyal love softball/baseball!! lol

I864 delivered November 2nd.....nvc logged it on November 5th

DS230 delivered November 6th.....nvc logged it on November 12th

Welcome to US Letter May 19th

Card production ordered May 25th

739444001253587733-final.gif

upherebl.gif

Question for those of you whose SO/spouses have children: This has come up alot here, and I was just wondering...I see that many of you have plans to have your spouse's/SO's children come to live with you, but how do their mother's REALLY feel? It seems to me that once the SO is up here that it's assumed or automatic that the children will follow, but really are the kids, mothers, grandmothers, aunts, or whatever truly ok and comfortable w/ this? I mean I understand the underlying premise, that they will have more opportunities & better way of life (which to me really is relative), but is it really in the best interest of EVERYONE involved? Are we imposing our "American" values and beliefs about what's "best"? How does the conversation go with the birth mother? Any resistance or opposition any experienced? And what about starting out w/ a trial first--like a visitor's visa (may be easier for a child to get, not sure) to test if the child really does like the US, will thrive here, etc? Just some random thoughts that I'm having...honest answers and input would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

aunts..uncles..granny..he she and the old lady..DOES NOT MATTER...this is the MOM and DAD..My stepdaughters WANT to be with their daddy..their mother would fly the day their papers come tru...but if she tink mi a go sidung yahso and tun modda goose she ave a next guess coming!! anyway back to topic..lol...some mothers would NEVER send their children no matter what. for my mother it was tough, she couldn't let us go, but knew it was a for a greater good..ghetto no nice fi raise gyal pickney..

Kashi and I talk about it and no doubt I want ALL our children together..they MUST know they are related and live as one..i DO NOT refer to my biological girls as half nothing..they are just sisters. KAshi and his ex speak about it and pretty much he CANNOT live w/o dem..this is the longest he has ever been away from them..

some mothers will be selfish and keep the kids in JA not b/c they want to keep their culture and can't be without their kids BUT for money..kids in JA equals more mone in hand..and what are u gonna do..send it right? even if u think is a lie...

LOL @ Modda goose Kimmy

****ROC VSC****

Submitted I-751: 3/9/11

NOA1: 3/15/11

Biometrics Appointment:5/2/11

Early Bio Walk-In: 4/8/11

Approved: 9/23/11

Green Card Received: 9/30/11

Yes, we put together resume. He worked as a mechanic in jamaica. But he doesn't have driver's license yet. So we are going for what ever job..that make money.

Naw...he'll pass on that one... :bonk::rofl:

Mawning Ladies trying to catch up~ Happy Friday mi neva want to get out of the bed -_-

****ROC VSC****

Submitted I-751: 3/9/11

NOA1: 3/15/11

Biometrics Appointment:5/2/11

Early Bio Walk-In: 4/8/11

Approved: 9/23/11

Green Card Received: 9/30/11

Timeline

:bonk:

lol

i mentioned roger donating his little soldiers and how i felt about it.. 'i asked him would he ever consider that.. at first he said NO WAY!!! then he said, how much do they pay???

:rofl::rofl:

i told him i don't know maybe $50.. he said.. hell no dem can keep dey $50, i'll keep my stuff

i said, baby how ya tink dem guh pay $200 or $300.. its not micheal jordan or albert einstein semen ..

him say.."whats the difference tween me and him??.. ooman get albert einstein semen and pickney still come out no sense, den wha she ago do???""

we was ROLLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

When hubby was looking for a job we submitted literally hundreds of applications with no luck...it seems as if you don't have any US experience they don't really want to hire you...i think since they can't really get any references unless they are willing to call abroad...thats what i got from it...The job he has now working at applebees was because he got a hookup...the assistant manager is the baby father of my sister-in-law sister...(confusion huh :star: )

IMO the only way to get a foot in the door is if you know someone that can "line them up" with something just for the experience and reference...its hard to just get one on your own but just keep trying... :thumbs:

NVC Journey Total days: 75

04.09.2008: Case# assigned

05.12.2008: DS230 Entered into System

06.18.2008: Case Complete (So upset that it took this long 37days)

US Embassy:

10.29.2008: Interview Date Assigned

11.17.2008: Medical Appointment

12.03.2008: Interview Date (FINALLY!!!)**APPROVED**

12.08.2008: Visa Delivered

12.21.2008: POE JFK

Timeline
aunts..uncles..granny..he she and the old lady..DOES NOT MATTER...this is the MOM and DAD..My stepdaughters WANT to be with their daddy..their mother would fly the day their papers come tru...but if she tink mi a go sidung yahso and tun modda goose she ave a next guess coming!! anyway back to topic..lol...some mothers would NEVER send their children no matter what. for my mother it was tough, she couldn't let us go, but knew it was a for a greater good..ghetto no nice fi raise gyal pickney..

Kashi and I talk about it and no doubt I want ALL our children together..they MUST know they are related and live as one..i DO NOT refer to my biological girls as half nothing..they are just sisters. KAshi and his ex speak about it and pretty much he CANNOT live w/o dem..this is the longest he has ever been away from them..

some mothers will be selfish and keep the kids in JA not b/c they want to keep their culture and can't be without their kids BUT for money..kids in JA equals more mone in hand..and what are u gonna do..send it right? even if u think is a lie...

That is truth. Have seen lots who refuse to let go because of the money too. Sad; but true.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

i remember us talking about this awhile back.. some of the ladies mentioned volunteering to beef up the resume i believe.. dont' know if that would be an option right now.. i think it was in part 14 or 13

volunteer where? What kind of places or organization accept volunteers?

Timeline
Question for those of you whose SO/spouses have children: This has come up alot here, and I was just wondering...I see that many of you have plans to have your spouse's/SO's children come to live with you, but how do their mother's REALLY feel? It seems to me that once the SO is up here that it's assumed or automatic that the children will follow, but really are the kids, mothers, grandmothers, aunts, or whatever truly ok and comfortable w/ this? I mean I understand the underlying premise, that they will have more opportunities & better way of life (which to me really is relative), but is it really in the best interest of EVERYONE involved? Are we imposing our "American" values and beliefs about what's "best"? How does the conversation go with the birth mother? Any resistance or opposition any experienced? And what about starting out w/ a trial first--like a visitor's visa (may be easier for a child to get, not sure) to test if the child really does like the US, will thrive here, etc? Just some random thoughts that I'm having...honest answers and input would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

LOL @ Modda goose Kimmy

di gyal MAD.. philly

jg.. sounds like a fun weekend.. guess u will have to start the party in that lil town!! mek dem knoa ya name!!!

Timeline
i remember us talking about this awhile back.. some of the ladies mentioned volunteering to beef up the resume i believe.. dont' know if that would be an option right now.. i think it was in part 14 or 13

http://www.volunteermatch.org/search/index...amp;l=21797%2C+

Everywhere, KK - Nonprofits, shelters, libraries, hospitals, ..... - My friend did volunteer work helping low income people do their taxes before she got her work permit.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Timeline

All kinds......You can actually google it on the internet. I found some on Craigslist yesterday too, for my city. Google something like "volunteer opportunities in (add your city name here)"

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.