SupportOAFJF

Yardies at Home and a Farrin (part16)

7,074 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline
Soooo...I have finally decide to do a degree, want to to graphic design...Had GILL working for me and she suggests the online course offered by the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.....anyone have any insight on that university or any other onlne courses offered by other colleges???

That is great! I am envious... I want to hear how you like it. I have never taken online classes. I started with GD and Photo in college here.. I really should get back on track. I miss it. You could always come to Maine and go to the Maine College of Art! Thats where I went. :-)

Good luck to you!!

June 29 2009: Green Card Received

March 6 2011: Lifting Conditions

June 6 2012: Apply for US Citizenship

fkn0hd.jpg

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Mikuzi shooting:

Witness tells of shot Kiwi's fight

4:00AM Saturday Jul 11, 2009

By Alanah May Eriksen

Tiki Hunia, pictured with his grandmother Irihapeti Hunia, was known as a `gentle giant'. Photo / Supplied

Tiki Hunia, pictured with his grandmother Irihapeti Hunia, was known as a `gentle giant'. Photo / Supplied

A woman who saw the incident that led to New Zealander Tiki Hunia being fatally shot at a Jamaican hotel has described how he pounced on his attacker to protect his wife.

The American was on holiday with her boyfriend, who was also held at gunpoint and forced to hand over the contents of his pockets.

The 34-year-old, who did not want to be named, and her partner were fellow guests at the Mikuzi Guesthouse in the upmarket suburb of St Andrew in Kingston, the capital.

The pair were standing under a gazebo - where about 10 other people were sitting, including Mr Hunia and his wife Nickie-Jean, who were on a second honeymoon - to look at a map where there was light, when two gun-wielding men entered the property.

One of the gunmen started yelling asking if a man named Angelo was there before he pressed a gun against the stomach of the woman's partner and made him hand over US$30 and the keys to his guesthouse out of his pants pockets. Meanwhile, the other gunman approached Mrs Hunia and snatched the cellphone out of her hand, upsetting her husband.

"He got upset because he wanted to protect her so he jumped on the person and they just fell into the bushes in the garden and started to fight," the US woman told the Weekend Herald.

"At that point I just said, 'Okay, I have to get out of here.' So I ran. While I was running I heard shooting so I told the receptionist to call a police and then I went to hide myself.

"We were hiding in the room for a few minutes and then we walked out and his wife was frantically running around and looking for her husband."

She said they found Mr Hunia behind one of the cottages.

"He was lying on the gravel. He was wounded but he was still breathing."

The police arrived a few minutes later and the woman and three other people rolled Mr Hunia on to a blanket and carried him into the police car.

Mrs Hunia sat next to her husband and they were driven to the hospital, where Mr Hunia died.

The witness believed the intruders had staked out the property and planned the robbery because they struck minutes before a security guard arrived to start his shift. He was walking towards the guesthouse when he heard the gunshots.

Mr Hunia's mother, Gloria, said the gunman pistol-whipped her daughter-in-law in the head and she ran into the lobby to get help while her husband was wrestling with the gunman.

"She heard the two gunshots when she was in there. When she came back, my son was lying on the ground.

"She thought he was okay, [that] the gunshot had gone through his arm. But it had actually gone into the side of his chest and had pierced his lung."

A brother and an uncle of Mr Hunia, who was originally from Te Teko in the Bay of Plenty, arrived in Jamaica yesterday.

Also yesterday, family and friends paid tribute to the man they called a "gentle giant".

Kara Warren flatted with Mr Hunia in Hamilton - where he met his wife while at Waikato University - and attended his wedding. "I can't help but smile and remember the good times. That's what is getting all of us through."

Mr Warren said Mr Hunia treated all his friends as if they were his best mates. A tall man, "he could have been the enforcer or something like that but he chose to be a pleasant guy".

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said yesterday Jamaican police were no closer to catching the gunmen.

"Mr Hunia's death has been noted at the highest level by the Jamaican Government. We're in close contact with the family and we're providing consulate assistance to Mr Hunia's wife via the British High Commission in Kingston and via the New Zealand High Commission in Ottawa."

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Will telling someone to STFU get you kick off VJ?

Some of the other thread get a little out of the hand. I will try to stay out of them for a while. Whew...I wanted to go off today. But it is too early Mrs. Buggy.

KK.... so early in the morning?? LOL

But i doubt it will... worse things have been said

There was a letter from Captain Ewok to members last week... basically stating that while it's okay to be rude in the Off Topic section, you shouldn't be rude in the advice sections.

I think Nat is in need of some rompin shop -

:innocent:

Is that rude to tell someone to STFU?

Hahaha...I like typing that.. :devil:

yes, it is rude KK

what about saying Hush?

some of those posters in the off topic section are so rude

its hard to imagine these ppl with such bigoted and racist views marrying ppl from other countries

:yes:

I found some of the stuff very offensive. But it is a free speech country and people can say what they want to.

sometimes it is appropriate to be rude. if someone needs to STFU then tell them to do so..

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

oh Gees!! I'm tryin to get some work done, but I really don't feel like it.

06/15/07 Arrive to Jamaica for our wedding

06/20/07 Wedding in Jamaica

07/06/07 Back to US... left my hubby... sad, sad day

07/28/07 Sent I-130

09/07/07 Noa 1

12/17/07 Left for Jamaica for the holidays

01/04/08 Back to USA... man I miss my hubby!! I really enjoyed spending the holidays w/ him...

02/07/08 I-130 approved... another step closer...

03/03/08 Received DS-3032 & I-864 Bill

03/13/08 Sent I-864 fee

03/27/08 Emailed the DS 3032 (hubby never received in mail)

04/02/08 Received notice from NVC that DS 3032 approved... I should be getting something soon, I HOPE

04/07/08 IV fee bill generated

04/14/08 Received I-864 Affidavit of Support... can't wait til this is OVER!!

04/16/08 Mailed off the AOS...

04/23/08 Received the Visa fee bill

05/09/08 Received DS230 letter, will mail this along w/ visa fee soon...

06/11/08 Went to visit my baby...

06/20/08 Celebrated our 1 year Anniversary!!!

06/25/08 Left my hubby... again... HOPEFULLY, this will be the L-A-S-T time!!!

07/23/08 SENT OFF VISA FEE TODAY!! I AM SO EXCITED..HENCE THE ALL CAPS, LOL

10/14/08 Case complete!! Waiting for the interview date.... HURRY PLEASE!!!

01/06/09 Interview date: February 17 @ 7:30AM!!!!!!!

02/03/09 Hubby's dr's appt. (All went well)

02/17/09 Interview day... APPROVED! He should receive his Visa the first week in March.

02/24/09 My bday!! AND hubby was called to pick up his visa!!!! GREAT BDAY GIFT!!

03/27/09 My hubby surprised me at my job!!! Can not believe he's finally here!

Timeline
good morning all..

thanks for all the responses..i do appreciate it..

kk, i want maxwell's cd so bad.. he never has a lot of songs it seems..

lovesponge.. i pray for peace and comfort for ur family. that is devastating to hear..just crazy..

found a soccer group for roger sunday, BUT they had just gotten finished playing so we will have to check back later this week, he got one of the guys numbers. MAN ladies, research all that stuff now i tell ya.. its been like another job to find him stuff to do... but my face just shines when we do accomplish something..

the bad thing is he was cooking for my friend. i had already told her that we were going to find this soccer meetup, roger agreed to cook the food.. We didn't know she had to go shopping for the food UGH.. since we really didn't know if anybody would be there or not, he didn't trip, BUT they stayed and talked and ATE?????

i told roger.. THIS is why i don't hardly answer my phone LOL

I have a feeling I know who you are talking bout and if I'm right you know how she gets down. She is always last minute with everything so why the heck would you think she had the food already? Shame on you and you know she was going to try and talk because she is most likely trying to find some male companionship for her hubby.... LOL

Timeline
Mikuzi shooting:

Witness tells of shot Kiwi's fight

4:00AM Saturday Jul 11, 2009

By Alanah May Eriksen

A woman who saw the incident that led to New Zealander Tiki Hunia being fatally shot at a Jamaican hotel has described how he pounced on his attacker to protect his wife.

The American was on holiday with her boyfriend, who was also held at gunpoint and forced to hand over the contents of his pockets.

The 34-year-old, who did not want to be named, and her partner were fellow guests at the Mikuzi Guesthouse in the upmarket suburb of St Andrew in Kingston, the capital.

The pair were standing under a gazebo - where about 10 other people were sitting, including Mr Hunia and his wife Nickie-Jean, who were on a second honeymoon - to look at a map where there was light, when two gun-wielding men entered the property.

One of the gunmen started yelling asking if a man named Angelo was there before he pressed a gun against the stomach of the woman's partner and made him hand over US$30 and the keys to his guesthouse out of his pants pockets. Meanwhile, the other gunman approached Mrs Hunia and snatched the cellphone out of her hand, upsetting her husband.

"He got upset because he wanted to protect her so he jumped on the person and they just fell into the bushes in the garden and started to fight," the US woman told the Weekend Herald.

"At that point I just said, 'Okay, I have to get out of here.' So I ran. While I was running I heard shooting so I told the receptionist to call a police and then I went to hide myself.

"We were hiding in the room for a few minutes and then we walked out and his wife was frantically running around and looking for her husband."

She said they found Mr Hunia behind one of the cottages.

"He was lying on the gravel. He was wounded but he was still breathing."

The police arrived a few minutes later and the woman and three other people rolled Mr Hunia on to a blanket and carried him into the police car.

Mrs Hunia sat next to her husband and they were driven to the hospital, where Mr Hunia died.

The witness believed the intruders had staked out the property and planned the robbery because they struck minutes before a security guard arrived to start his shift. He was walking towards the guesthouse when he heard the gunshots.

Mr Hunia's mother, Gloria, said the gunman pistol-whipped her daughter-in-law in the head and she ran into the lobby to get help while her husband was wrestling with the gunman.

"She heard the two gunshots when she was in there. When she came back, my son was lying on the ground.

"She thought he was okay, [that] the gunshot had gone through his arm. But it had actually gone into the side of his chest and had pierced his lung."

A brother and an uncle of Mr Hunia, who was originally from Te Teko in the Bay of Plenty, arrived in Jamaica yesterday.

Also yesterday, family and friends paid tribute to the man they called a "gentle giant".

Kara Warren flatted with Mr Hunia in Hamilton - where he met his wife while at Waikato University - and attended his wedding. "I can't help but smile and remember the good times. That's what is getting all of us through."

Mr Warren said Mr Hunia treated all his friends as if they were his best mates. A tall man, "he could have been the enforcer or something like that but he chose to be a pleasant guy".

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said yesterday Jamaican police were no closer to catching the gunmen.

"Mr Hunia's death has been noted at the highest level by the Jamaican Government. We're in close contact with the family and we're providing consulate assistance to Mr Hunia's wife via the British High Commission in Kingston and via the New Zealand High Commission in Ottawa."

I know this sort of senseless violence happens everywhere. But, the size of the island and the economic need for foreign visitors makes me pissed off when I read something like this.

:ph34r:

I have to admit you make me laugh out loud every time I see one of these!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
Mawning Yardies,

where's DARA????

Here I am (((waving))).. I took some days off from work and since I have no internet at home well no work means no play...lol

Girl where do you find your friends? For them to live in NYC you would think they would be more open minded since NYC is a melting pot. I mean geesh even I before falling in love with a Jamaican was pretty closed mind but never in my wildest dreams would I make some of the comments she said. Maybe you need a new circle of friends Newly...lol

Timeline
Mawning Yardies,

where's DARA????

Here I am (((waving))).. I took some days off from work and since I have no internet at home well no work means no play...lol

Girl where do you find your friends? For them to live in NYC you would think they would be more open minded since NYC is a melting pot. I mean geesh even I before falling in love with a Jamaican was pretty closed mind but never in my wildest dreams would I make some of the comments she said. Maybe you need a new circle of friends Newly...lol

Living in NY has nothing to do with making people more open minded - I have met some of the most close minded people in NY - there are neighborhoods that are completely segregated to one race / religion -

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Mawning Yardies,

where's DARA????

i'm lost. whappen?

Filed: Timeline
Soooo...I have finally decide to do a degree, want to to graphic design...Had GILL working for me and she suggests the online course offered by the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.....anyone have any insight on that university or any other onlne courses offered by other colleges???

bout damn time...CONGRATS on the decision -- use your God given talent.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey Chica,

I did some other digging after we finished talking. But honestly for what you are looking for and especially the schools accreditation standing...I think AI comes out on top! Keep look though maybe I over looked something! BTW...cute pic!

Take care (L) ,

Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

JA Eng that is great news online courses are the best, don't have any insight on that Univ but I a glad to see that you are pursuing your goals :thumbs:

****ROC VSC****

Submitted I-751: 3/9/11

NOA1: 3/15/11

Biometrics Appointment:5/2/11

Early Bio Walk-In: 4/8/11

Approved: 9/23/11

Green Card Received: 9/30/11

:ph34r:

smiley-rpg005.gif

smiley-rpg013.gif

smiley-rpg023.gif

Edited by phillyfashionista

****ROC VSC****

Submitted I-751: 3/9/11

NOA1: 3/15/11

Biometrics Appointment:5/2/11

Early Bio Walk-In: 4/8/11

Approved: 9/23/11

Green Card Received: 9/30/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.