Patricia_and_andy

Baby Corner

3,061 posts in this topic

So, you can get an epidural even if you're not having a C section? If so, does the pain go away completely?

i know you have gotten lots of answers already, but just to add my 2 cents…

usually general anesthesia is avoided unless necessary because of risks to the baby… also narcotics (morphine, Demerol, etc) are usually avoided because they can suppress the baby’s respiratory system

the “pain” should go away, but ideally you should still feel some pressure to help you know when to push…

rarely will a dr give an epidural for labor before you reach 4cm dilatation as it could arrest (stop) labor and actually make it longer… and usually not after 7cm because there may not be time to get it done safely and have it take effect

personally, i had an epidural with my daughter 8 yrs ago and hope to have one again during my upcoming labor... i felt nothing in the way of contractions for quite some time and then i felt as if someone had suckerpunched me... i sat bolt-upright in the bed and let out a groan... the nurse was in the room and said " i should check you! "... when she did, i was at 4cm and she asked if i still wanted an epidural and i nodded... she gave me the little container of bicitra (YUK!) and by the time i swallowed it and the anesthesiologist got the epidural going, i had felt 5 contractions... and i will tell you that i was able to relax thru my labor and enjoy the birth of my daughter without excruciating pain... i could feel some of the pressure and the epidural was beginning to wear off at the end of it, but it was never bad... and i went thru labor and am just as much a mom as a woman who delivered without the use of anything for pain control... its great if you can make it without it... but its also just fine if you use it

Do you guys know how long we can wait after your water breaks to go to the hospital? I would rather spend the majority of the time at home then in a cold hospital room.

cant blame you for wanting to be home and comfy while you do most of your laboring… hopefully, you will be able to… however, once your water breaks, you should contact your dr/midwife… if your membranes are ruptured for more than a certain period of time (12 – 18 hrs depending on which dr you have), there is an increased chance of infection for the baby… the longer they are ruptured before delivery, the higher the risk of infection (or you might hear it called sepsis)… it could mean at least a 3 day run of antibiotics for the baby in the NICU

after your membranes are ruptured, you should have your temperature and your baby’s heartrate monitored for any possible signs of infection

"True love is falling in love with your best friend,

and only then, will you find the meaning of happiness."

tony_1.gif

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Thank you Keltic. It is always good to hear about epidurals and stuff from people who have actually gone through it. I'm grateful for every story you "experienced" mothers tell us. I just suck it up like a sponge. :lol:

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
Do you guys know how long we can wait after your water breaks to go to the hospital? I would rather spend the majority of the time at home then in a cold hospital room

cant blame you for wanting to be home and comfy while you do most of your laboring… hopefully, you will be able to… however, once your water breaks, you should contact your dr/midwife… if your membranes are ruptured for more than a certain period of time (12 – 18 hrs depending on which dr you have), there is an increased chance of infection for the baby… the longer they are ruptured before delivery, the higher the risk of infection (or you might hear it called sepsis)… it could mean at least a 3 day run of antibiotics for the baby in the NICU

after your membranes are ruptured, you should have your temperature and your baby’s heartrate monitored for any possible signs of infection

From what I understand, have read, and have been told--you do not wait if your water breaks naturally--you call your practicianer and go to the hospital or his/her office.

Also what I understand, have read, have been told, and experienced--quite often your water will not break--but it will be ruptured artificially in the hospital when you have dilated substancially.

Edited by Artegal

squsquard20060929_-8_HJ%20is.png

dev216brs__.png

In accordance with Georgia law, "The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act," I am required to display the following in any and all languages that I may give immigration related advise:

'I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.'

"NO SOY ABOGADO LICENCIADO PRACTICAR LEY Y NO PUEDO DOY ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO O ACEPTO LOS HONORARIOS PARA El ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO."

hillarymug-tn.jpghillarypin-rwbt.jpgballoons-tn.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Thanks for the info about how long I should wait. So I won't wait at all and get to the hospital as soon as I feel something.

Way to go NIzzy. I can't stop grinning just by thinking that in a little over three months I'm gonna be a mom. I have 103 days to go so I'm right there with you.

Have you noticed a sort of buzzing feeling in there?? It's hard to explain but that's what it feels like a little underneathe my left breast. He is doing some heavy duty exploring in there! I know, the thought of me holding him and kissing him is so exciting! My mom bought me a baby bjorn (well it's not that brand but it does the same job!). I always wanted one of those even wayyyy before getting married. I think they are the cutest! But I can't seem to figure out how to adjust it...I'll leave that up to hubby.

Timeline

I'M HURTING :crying: . I went for walks with our dog today. The first one this morning was fine (about 40 Minutes) but the one just now (20 minutes) made me have terrible bellycramps and backpain like I never had before. I thought it would get better as soon as I sit or lay down but it's not helping at all. BAby keeps kicking me but my belly cramps up every now and then. OMG...my husband is at work with the only car we have...what can I do. I guess I should stay calm and not freak out about it. I'm gonna make some tea and take it easy.

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I'M HURTING :crying: . I went for walks with our dog today. The first one this morning was fine (about 40 Minutes) but the one just now (20 minutes) made me have terrible bellycramps and backpain like I never had before. I thought it would get better as soon as I sit or lay down but it's not helping at all. BAby keeps kicking me but my belly cramps up every now and then. OMG...my husband is at work with the only car we have...what can I do. I guess I should stay calm and not freak out about it. I'm gonna make some tea and take it easy.

I don't want to scare you but if the cramps keep up I would really consider calling your doctor... just to be on the safe side....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Oh sweety take it easy from now on. The doctor told me 30 minutes a day is plenty as far as walks are concerned. Don't sit there wondering, call your doctor and tell him/her what's going on. Please keep us updated on how you're feeling.

Timeline

Oh sweety take it easy from now on. The doctor told me 30 minutes a day is plenty as far as walks are concerned. Don't sit there wondering, call your doctor and tell him/her what's going on. Please keep us updated on how you're feeling.

:thumbs: yeah, please call the doctor....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hi Ladies.. best wishes for your upcoming births.. soo exciting..

As a momma with two daughters.. both of which were premies.. one born at 29 weeks the other born 37 but went into labor at 26.. spent 10 weeks in hospital total bedrest blabla bla..

Dont want to scare any of you .. for I'm sure you have heard enough horror stories from many other people. I do not wish to tell any horror stories.. your bodies respond to what is happening in thier own ways... Stresses of childbirth, Immigrations everything.. all add to the picture..

I wish to share a few peices of helpful information that I learned during my process especially during the last on of being hospitalized for 10 weeks.. .. .

Signs and symptoms

Prompt recognition of preterm labor may help you prevent premature birth. Even months before your due date, be on the lookout for:

Regular contractions of your uterus (You'll feel a tightening sensation in your lower abdomen, often reminiscent of menstrual cramps.)

Low, dull backache

A sensation of pelvic pressure

A tightening sensation in the thighs

Vaginal spotting or bleeding

Watery vaginal discharge (This may be amniotic fluid, which surrounds your baby in the womb. A leakage may indicate that the membranes around your baby have ruptured.)

If you suspect you're in preterm labor but haven't had a watery discharge, stop what you're doing and rest. Pay attention to what you're feeling. If you have regular contractions 10 minutes apart or less, contact your doctor or go to the hospital. If you're having contractions but they're irregular or more than 10 minutes apart, drink two or three glasses of water and lie down on your left side. This helps improve circulation to your uterus and may stop contractions.

Mayo clinic. pre-term birth prevention link

water is extremely important not only for water metabolism for you and the baby but.. it prevents and assists in stopping contractions. REMEMBER to LAY on your LEFT side.. for that improves circulation to you and baby.. .. and lessons the stress also upon your heart.

The other is to do the Kick count test..

FETAL MOVEMENT RECORD

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Count the baby's movements EVERY NIGHT.

2. A movement may be a kick, swish or roll. Do not count hiccups or small flutters.

3. You can start counting any time in the evening when the baby is active.

BUT: COUNT EVERY NIGHT.

4. Count baby's movements while lying down, preferably on your left side.

5. Mark the time you feel the baby move for the first time.

6. Mark the time you feel the 10th fetal movement.

7. You should feel at least 10 fetal movements within one hour.

Call your doctor immediately if

a) You do not feel 10 movements within 1 hour.

B) It takes longer and longer for your baby to move 10 times.

c) You have not felt the baby move all day.

DO NOT WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW

If you start counting and the baby isn't kicking, try the following:

Stop and walk around for 5 minutes.

Drink a glass of cold water.

If baby still hasn't kicked 10 times within 2-4 hours, then you should call your doctor

here is a link for a handy Kickcount card to track movements.. very helpful

PDF file for kick count chart

Just always remember... you know what "feels right" if it doesnt.. question it... ok..

It is never wrong to be told to go home.. nothing is wrong... it is all normal... .. you are never wrong when it comes to your concerns for your baby... ..

Best wishes.. Janet

Love isn't love unless it is expressed;

caring isn't caring unless the other person knows;

sharing isn't sharing unless the other person is included

Timeline

yeah, I wish I would have known all that before....

when I had the "cramps" I thought they were just that, cramps... now I know they were contractions.... I really wish I would have called my doctor sooner... I have know idea if that would have helped but I will never know now :crying:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Girls, I have hundreds of articles and tips I got from whattoexpect.com!

If you want me to post some of them here I will... I can post one a day if you'd like. I actually have so many pregnancy week-by-week articles. I wish I could just send them all to you :lol:

I get these articles every day (they come from the website but not all of them are on the website), since I signed up. My friend got pregnant and I though I could help her by getting information we don't get every day. After she had the baby I decided to collect and keep getting those emails for when I need them.

I'll be glad to help if any of you want. Just let me know. :thumbs:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Timeline

If you want me to post some of them here I will... I can post one a day if you'd like. I actually have so many pregnancy week-by-week articles. I wish I could just send them all to you :lol:

I get these articles every day (they come from the website but not all of them are on the website), since I signed up. My friend got pregnant and I though I could help her by getting information we don't get every day. After she had the baby I decided to collect and keep getting those emails for when I need them.

I get those same emails! They are awesome in terms of calming down my nerves when a new symptom pops up. I always freak out and then I read a new email and see that the symptom is common for the week I'm in.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I get those same emails! They are awesome in terms of calming down my nerves when a new symptom pops up. I always freak out and then I read a new email and see that the symptom is common for the week I'm in.

They're so awesome that they calm me down and I'm not even pregnant. :P

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Timeline

I'm sorry I had you waiting so long. I had to take care of my poor sick husband. He is the most stress I have in my life right now and that is just as much as I can take.

Well, those cramps in my belly luckily ended up as gas but the backpain keeps coming back which I think is very strange. Baby is active today and kicking regularly so I'm not worried about him. Thank you very mcuh Janet. I just have to take it easy. I do have contractions every day (Braxton Hicks) and now the backpain. Unfortunately I cannot rely on my husband to help me since he is miserable, shivvering on the couch, scratching his body up like crazy and the doctors can't do anything cause they don't know what is wrong. So it's all up to me.

MarilynP. Please don't blame yourself for what happened. There is always gonna be whats and ifs but don't blame yourself. All the best.

02/12/2009 - APPROVED