Patricia_and_andy

Baby Corner

3,061 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
I just had the best sandwich in my whole life. YES...I love Subway but since I found out i'm pregnanct I stayed away from deli meat and stuff (also, I'm too lazy to fry every single slice of deli meat before eating it.). Well, I just came back from the commisary and they had rolls there, just like in Germany (haven't had one in over six months so it was about time) and I couldn't help but eat one right away and on other one I put deli meat (fried), honey mustard dressing (fat free, no yolk), provolone cheese and - for the folic acid - some green leafy lettuce....OMG....that was sooo gooooood. :thumbs:

Sorry, I just had to let you know, I know it has nothing to do with pregnancy (or maybe it does)....I'm in heaven... :luv:

:lol: Sounds completely yummy! Since I have been pregnant I have been craving lots of meat, especially sandwich meats. I was a vegetarian for two years and then slowly starting eating meat again due to health reasons and now I'm ravenous!

Cherryxs: Oh we eat lots of yogurt as Afghans but I thought maybe taking it in a form of a pill would be bad for some reason.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Has anyone given any thought as to whether they will return to work or not after the baby is born? Unfortunately for us after buying a new house and second car and all the trimmings, it's not even an option for me to stay home. I am planning on taking 8 weeks maternity leave.

Speaking of which, does this country's take on maternity leave policy leave anyone else with a bad taste....I can't get over how pre-historic it is. My HR benefits lady thought I was weird when I told her the US maternity leave policy (FMLA) sucked, LOL!

She looked at me like I was crazy to expect to be able to take the time off to recover from birth, bond with baby and try to get into a new life while, God forbid expecting a little pay to keep our heads above water in the meantime. As for us, if I could afford to go without pay for 12 weeks, I could afford to quit work, period!!

It makes me kinda mad to think about the amount of taxes we pay and in return we can't look forward to the most natural thing in the world without the fear of financially going under!

I would be better off to be on welfare and not work just cos I don't want to! No problem, medical bills paid and an increase in benefits afterwards. Just have to stop thinking about it and save like crazy I guess.

OK, rant off! :angry:

Edited by Irisheyes

AOS

05/26/05: Sent I-485/I-130 & I-765 to Chicago lockbox.

05/27/05: Paperwork received by Douglas!

06/17/05: Check hit bank account.

06/20/05: All 3 NOA's rec'vd! TG!

08/02/05: Biometrics , New Orleans. Pretty uneventful.

08/09/05: EAD Approved!

07/12/06: ......still.........waiting.........

09/26/06: Case Status says interview has been canceled............What interview????

10/23/06: Interview finally scheduled for 12/14/06.

12/14/06: AOS approval pending renewal of Biometrics....Waiting on appt. for ASC!

Will this ever end????

01/17/07: Biometrics scheduled.

02/03/07: Everything complete at our end! Apparently my case file is under somebodys wobbly table leg.

02/27/07: Approval notice finally received by e-mail.....only 641 days!! 1 yr 9 mths!

My little angel, Rachel Erin...born 02/15/07

IM000979.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I know that my mom took a whopping two years off for me and my brother and then returned to her work but that was back in the GDR times. NOw, as far as I know you get half a year in Germany and then you can go back to your job, they don't kick you out for having a baby. I haven't really worked here, only as a Nanny (I love children) and I quit that job in August cause I couldn' t handle to 1,5 hr. drive and two teenagers and a crazy 8 year old. I really loved those boys but in my first trimester they were getting on my nerves alot.

I have the opportunity to start working in my In-Laws company (offshore company in TX) but if I am staying in NC I cannot do that and will maybe start working after like three or four months or so. I have to start applying for jobs and stuff but even if it is a job as a receptionist etc. I will be happy. Until then, we are relying on the Military (thank God for all the benefits they are giving us right now). I'm looking forward to working again though.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Timeline

I don't think I could stay home full time anyway, after working so hard to get to point I have in my career, but I do wish I could afford to have a little more time at home.

AOS

09/26/06: Case Status says interview has been canceled............What interview????

12/14/06: AOS approval pending renewal of Biometrics....Waiting on appt. for ASC!

Will this ever end????

02/03/07: Everything complete at our end! Apparently my case file is under somebodys wobbly table leg.

02/27/07: Approval notice finally received by e-mail.....only 641 days!! 1 yr 9 mths!

IM000979.jpg

Timeline

I think the hardest part will be when you give your child to childcare or a babysitter etc. I cried when I had to leave my dog at the kennel and they have a very good reputation...but it is 'only' a dog, how in the world am I supposed to leave my Peanut alone with a person that doesn't really know him?

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I think the maternity leave here sucks as well. I have relatives in Canada who got to stay home for a year with pay and return to their same position without any hassles. For me, I have been in school thusfar and am in my last semester. I'm a semester behind due to a mix up. I worked part-time in a clothing store then as a temp for a while. I'm not doing anything now. I would love to stay with my baby as long as possible but it probably won't work financially. I'm thinking of working weekends and having hubby stay with him. That will at least help with paying miscellaneous bills.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes maternity leave does suck here. With my son I was going to school full time and took off 1 week after his birth (the other week was spring break). I had my schedule planned to have classes only 2 days a week and my mom stayed with him while I was in school. This time I also imagine I will be taking about 2 weeks off but not sure what the childcare arrangement will be yet as I am working full time. Honestly spending every waking moment with my son and a newborn might drive me a little bonkers so I would love to just go back part time for a month or two until the little guy was bigger. I would suggest starting to look at daycare/babysitters now. Go visit a lot and ask a lot of questions. Usually (esp. in daycare centers, and esp in good daycare centers) there are waiting lists. So even if your 6 mo pregnant you might want to secure a place for them now. It's also hard to find any place that takes an infant before they are 6 weeks old.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been relatively lucky,

I got 12 weeks maternity leave (paid) and 12 weeks Family Medical Leave (unpaid, but for sick and vacation pay)......my Maternity leave started when I was still pregnant and my Dr. took me out of work, so I used a bit of it then,

still I don't have to go back to work until January 2nd.

My daughter will be almost 5 months old. It still breaks my heart to think of that day :-(

Luckily I work for the local child care resource and referral agency for my area, so I know what to look for in a provider and have the inside scoop....still it's going to suck!

"We are the real countries,

Not the boundaries drawn on maps,

With the names of powerful men.

That's all I've wanted -

To walk in such a place with you,

On an earth without maps."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kev (Canada/BC) & Kiki (USA/Oregon)

flag_usa_canada.gif

Married Nov. 27th, 2004

Done with USCIS until 2017!!

collage4.jpg

olivia12mo2.jpg

Timeline

Just to annoy us all a little more, check this out. Look for the zeroes.....there's very few! :whistle:

Parental Leave :(

AOS

Will this ever end????

IM000979.jpg

Timeline

Hey, good news. MY HUSBAND WON"T DEPLOY IN JANUARY. HE"S OFF THE LIST AS OF TODAY....yey. They got a replacement already. My baby daddy is gonna be here when his son is born..... :dance::dance:

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Timeline
Hey, good news. MY HUSBAND WON"T DEPLOY IN JANUARY. HE"S OFF THE LIST AS OF TODAY....yey. They got a replacement already. My baby daddy is gonna be here when his son is born..... :dance::dance:

That's great news Eveline.......what a relief it must be!!! :dance:

AOS

Will this ever end????

IM000979.jpg

Timeline
Just to annoy us all a little more, check this out. Look for the zeroes.....there's very few! :whistle:

Parental Leave :(

Wow, I just looked at it and compared Germany/USA...wow, I should have stayed in Germany, hehe. 0 weeks paid maternity leave...that is ridiculous.

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

you all should move to Bulgaria...

The system in Bulgaria is even more generous, providing mothers with 45 days 100% paid sick leave prior the due date, 2 years paid leave, and 1 additional year of unpaid leave. The employeer is obliged to restore the mother to the same position upon return to work. In addition, pregnant women and single mothers cannot be fired.

I wanted hubby to take parental leave but all they did was take away 10 of his sick days.... :angry:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Well what we thought was an erupting tooth is not a tooth according to my baby's doctor. The Doctor stated that our baby has a salivary port cyst and that it will go away on its own--its pure white like a tooth but on the side of the gum just below the gum-line so we thought it might be the corner of his tooth. Regardless it is not bothering him in the least bit--but still has anyone heard of a salivary port cyst? I am trying to google it but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

squsquard20060929_-8_HJ%20is.png

dev216brs__.png

In accordance with Georgia law, "The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act," I am required to display the following in any and all languages that I may give immigration related advise:

'I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.'

"NO SOY ABOGADO LICENCIADO PRACTICAR LEY Y NO PUEDO DOY ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO O ACEPTO LOS HONORARIOS PARA El ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO."

hillarymug-tn.jpghillarypin-rwbt.jpgballoons-tn.jpg