mlugo

In love and wondering what visa to apply for...

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Once you file K-1, you shouldn't enter the US. It's only 6 months...okay I know it long time for lovers...but it's worth the wait.

Look around on this site for more stories about coming after filing but before approval.

If she can prove ties to Mexico there is no reason why she cannot visit while the K1 is pending. Many people do it.

Have you read the responses from people with direct ties to MEXICO here on this thread? People with personal stories of just how difficult it is to get visitors visas, despite having strong ties? Why would you say such a thing without any evidence to back it up? And no, "Many people do it" is not evidence.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Once you file K-1, you shouldn't enter the US. It's only 6 months...okay I know it long time for lovers...but it's worth the wait.

Look around on this site for more stories about coming after filing but before approval.

If she can prove ties to Mexico there is no reason why she cannot visit while the K1 is pending. Many people do it.

Have you read the responses from people with direct ties to MEXICO here on this thread? People with personal stories of just how difficult it is to get visitors visas, despite having strong ties? Why would you say such a thing without any evidence to back it up? And no, "Many people do it" is not evidence.

Geez :wacko:

First of all, I know all too well how difficult it can be for someone to get a visitors visa from third world countries to come to the US.

I was just pointing out that IF she is able to get a visitor's visa from Mexico (which CAN be done and is a whole process in itself) there is no reason for her to stay away while the K1 is processing. Maybe I was not clear about that.

And yes, there ARE people who manage to come and visit while the K1 is processing.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Timeline

Hi and thank you for your response! I already have a visitors visa, so does that by any chance mean that we can apply for K3 or CR1 now in July, and during the time I have to wait, I can visit the US?

David, my boyfriend, lives in the US. Thanks for clearing out our doubts about the DCF. I was hoping that was the fastest way... our desire is to get married before October... could you please tell me how long (give or take) the K3 would take to process?

Many, many thanks for your guide!

mlugo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Unless you plan to wed in Mexico, it's going to be nearly impossible to get married by October. K-1 visas are taking about 200 days from sending in the paperwork to getting the visa. This can vary signficantly from case to case, but it's unlikely anyone is getting through the entire process in less than three months.

Hi and thank you for your response! I already have a visitors visa, so does that by any chance mean that we can apply for K3 or CR1 now in July, and during the time I have to wait, I can visit the US?

David, my boyfriend, lives in the US. Thanks for clearing out our doubts about the DCF. I was hoping that was the fastest way... our desire is to get married before October... could you please tell me how long (give or take) the K3 would take to process?

mlugo

:no: You are not married; so you are not eligible for either K-3 or CR-1. Only for K-1. And indeed, considering wait times it is highly unlikely you would have your visa by October.

Thanks for your answer-- so if we do get married in Mexico, can we go back to the US together after the wedding? Or would I have to stay in Mexico? We appreciate your response.

Unless you plan to wed in Mexico, it's going to be nearly impossible to get married by October. K-1 visas are taking about 200 days from sending in the paperwork to getting the visa. This can vary signficantly from case to case, but it's unlikely anyone is getting through the entire process in less than three months.

:thumbs: Thanks Len... what a bummer... :(

mlugo

:no: You are not married; so you are not eligible for either K-3 or CR-1. Only for K-1. And indeed, considering wait times it is highly unlikely you would have your visa by October.

Len, one quick question: if I already have a tourist US visa, can I visit the US while my K1 is processing?

Thanks

If you enter the US with a K-1 visa (your only option at this point); you have to marry in the US within 90 days of arrival. so no, you cannot get married in MX.

You can try - but entry is never guaranteed. You would have to bring with you proof of ties to Mexico every time you attempt to cross. Examples: leases, letter from your employer expecting you back; etc. And even with those you can be denied entry just because the border dude has not gotten laid in months or skipped his morning coffee :(

mlugo

I'm assuming your question of applying for the K3 or CR1 in July is based on getting married first. You can apply for the K3 or CR1 only ONCE YOU ARE MARRIED. After you are married and file for the spouse visa I see no reason why you couldn't use your visitors visa to enter the US while waiting for your K3 or CR1. Anyone else?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.