stfrancisofassisi

Pregnancy & X-Rays while Pregnant for K-1 Visa

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

My Fiancee & I are Catholic. Since my Fiancee is from Mexico, we decided to celebrate the sacrament of Holy Matrimony in Mexico but prior to our K-1 Visa approval. We did not have a Civil (Legal) ceremony in Mexico and plan to exchange Wedding vows & have the Legal (Civil) ceremony in the United States in August, 2009 after the K-1 Visa is approved. We filed the application for the K-1 Visa in January, 2009 and had a Church service in Mexico in April, 2009. All went well and God blessed our Holy Matrimony with a child while on our honeymoon in April, 2009.

The Visa Application was approved in May, 2009 and we received an invitation to come into the Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico for my Fiancee's K-1 Medical Exam & Interview in June, 2009. In February, 2009, I asked an immigration attorney, if my Fiancee gets pregnant during our honeymoon, will they ask about this during the Medical exam & interview. The attorney laughed at me and said: "absolutely not." The reason I asked is because I didn't want to jeopordize the health of my child with an X-Ray or jeapordize my Fiancee's approval of the Visa. My Fiancee gets to the Medical Exam & there are signs all over the place, "If you are pregant, let us know prior to the examination."

After reading on the Consulate's website that skin tests are done for pregnant women and that pregnant women have exemptions from X-Rays, my Fiancee (even though she is my spouse as approved & blessed by the Catholic Church at this time) goes in for her medical exam and they tell her she MUST have an X-Ray to complete the medical examination and there are no skin tests performed. The doctor's office said she may receive an exemption from the Consulate but it's not a guarantee. So she returns in the afternoon to get her incomplete Medical Examination results & when they called her name, they didn't give her the results. They didn't tell her why, but we knew it was because she didn't have an X-Ray. She went to the Consulate later in the afternoon & the Consulate told her she could go to the Interview without the results and maybe could get the Visa. We're thinking it could be due to a waiver. She goes to the Consulate and answers all of the questions and gives them the documentation. After harrassing her about being pregnant, Catholic & not married (even though our Holy Matrimony is blessed & approved by the Catholic church...see my discussion about this below), they say they cannot approve the Visa because she has not had the Medical Examination. I am really p!$$ed off at this moment. She calls her doctors and they tell her she can have the X-Ray without any harm to our baby. She wears the protective shield and gets the X-Ray the next day (no extra charge for the Medical Examination since it was done within 6 months of the first one) & goes to the Consulate later that same morning & receives the K-1 Visa.

If I had known this would happen, I would have considered having the medical exam conducted before the honeymoon (they are good for 6 months). The immigration attorney should have recommended this but didn't because she was clueless. Well anyway, the attorney didn't have a clue about what would be done during the medical exam and provided me with information (that I relied on) that was false. Lesson Learned:Don't trust the advice of immigration attorney. I knew more than she did. In fact, I think my unborn child had a higher IQ than she did.

P.S. I gave a letter to my Fiancee to have for the Consulate that was notarized saying I was aware of the pregnancy, that I was the father of the baby (which I knew because it happened on our honeymoon and my Fiancee is Holy) and that I still intend to marry my Fiancee (my Church-blessed spouse). I read where sometimes Consulates want to see such a letter in case the Sponsor changes their mind after finding our about the pregnancy.

On the issue of getting married in a Church prior to being married civially, you have to be VERY careful what you tell to the Consulate during the interview. Even though you had a sacramental service in a church...DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT tell the Consulate this. If they ask you if you are married: tell them "No" because thier own paperwork asks if you are free to "legally" marry. You are answering honestly if you tell them "No" because your Church service in Mexico is not legal unless you have a Civil (Legal) ceremony. If you tell them "Yes" that you were married in a Church, this will cause you to engage in a debate with them that you will lose. They "hold all of the cards". Even though Holy Matrimony in a Catholic Church is not recognized by the federal government, they will tell you you need to get a different Visa (K-3 Visa) because you said you were "Married".

I hope this will help those who might be in the same predicament as I was during this process. Good luck! Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Here's my original timeline estimates:

Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between June 23, 2009 and July 14, 2009.

--------------------

K-1 Visa

Service Centre : Vermont Service Centre

Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F Sent : 20th Jan 2009

I-129F NOA1 : 10nd Feb 2009

Check Cleared: 10th February 2009

Touched: 5th February 2009

I-129F NOA2: 5th May 2009 (#110 on Igor’s List)

(No email received or online update from USCIS. I received notice in mail on May 9, 2009).

Igor's list

03/31/09: #215

04/15/09: #165

04/30/09: #125

05/05/09: #110

(Approval Date-NOA2)

No email received or online update from USCIS on May 8th 2009 (Approval Date). I received notice in mail on May 9th. I was NOT applying thru a waiver program. We called Consulate in Juarez on 6-2-09 & they said they received approved application on 6-8-09 but we will need to wait up to 60 days before receiving Packet 3. We decided to call the Cosulate in Juarez again today (6-10-09) to see if Packet 3 was mailed. They told us that it was mailed on 6-15-09. We should be receiving anyday. We have all of the documentation ready so we'll go to Juarez next week or the week after.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moving to consulate embassy forum.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

What you describe is pretty risky. I've heard of situations where fiancees have been turned back at the border because CBP finds evidence of a church ceremony in their luggage.

My wife is Filipino. We're both Catholic and wanted a church wedding in the Philippines, but we decided it was too risky to have a ceremony in Manila before she came here. I was able to arrange things with my parish in Washington DC to have a simple church wedding about 50 days after she arrived here in the US on the K1. Normally they are pretty strict about requiring six months to a year of marriage prep, but if you inform them that you are under a government imposed time limit, they can make exceptions. As it turned out, we got married in the oldest Caholic chapel in Washington.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

you can put a lead apron over her tummy and still get chest xray.

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
you can put a lead apron over her tummy and still get chest xray.
That must be what the OP said when he wrote "She wears the protective shield and gets the X-Ray".

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Even though you had a sacramental service in a church...DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT tell the Consulate this.
And what if the consulate ASKS if you had a sacramental service in a church? Lie to them?
I hope this will help those who might be in the same predicament as I was during this process.
I read the original post several times and could not shake a palpable feeling of disquiet. If every VJ member "in the same predicament" followed this advice, it is doubtful to me that more good than ill would result. Finally, and after rethinking and pondering, I conclude that the entire original post -- although perhaps well-intended -- generally smacks of presumption bordering on arrogance.

Also, who on VJ (one guess, everyone!) will parachute in to claim that "all immigration attorneys are worthless" solely on the basis of the little that the OP has posted? For example, it is possible that rules or policies changed between February and June 2009, resulting in the attorney's answer's being correct as of February but not in June. (The example may not be true at all, but it is presented to cause people to stop and THINK, rather than knee-jerking.)

I believe that jsnearline's stated approach is far more sensible and responsible to pursue and to recommend.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline
My Fiancee & I are Catholic. Since my Fiancee is from Mexico, we decided to celebrate the sacrament of Holy Matrimony in Mexico but prior to our K-1 Visa approval. We did not have a Civil (Legal) ceremony in Mexico and plan to exchange Wedding vows & have the Legal (Civil) ceremony in the United States in August, 2009 after the K-1 Visa is approved. We filed the application for the K-1 Visa in January, 2009 and had a Church service in Mexico in April, 2009. All went well and God blessed our Holy Matrimony with a child while on our honeymoon in April, 2009.

The Visa Application was approved in April, 2009 and we received an invitation to come into the Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico for my Fiancee's K-1 Medical Exam & Interview in May, 2009. In February, 2009, I asked an immigration attorney, if my Fiancee gets pregnant during our honeymoon, will they ask about this during the Medical exam & interview. The attorney laughed at me and said: "absolutely not." The reason I asked is because I didn't want to jeopordize the health of my child with an X-Ray or jeapordize my Fiancee's approval of the Visa. My Fiancee gets to the Medical Exam & there are signs all over the place, "If you are pregant, let us know prior to the examination."

After reading on the Consulate's website that skin tests are done for pregnant women and that pregnant women have exemptions from X-Rays, my Fiancee (even though she is my spouse as approved & blessed by the Catholic Church at this time) goes in for her medical exam and they tell her she MUST have an X-Ray to complete the medical examination and there are no skin tests performed. The doctor's office said she may receive an exemption from the Consulate but it's not a guarantee. So she returns in the afternoon to get her incomplete Medical Examination results & when they called her name, they didn't give her the results. She went to the Consulate & the Consulate told her she could go to the Interview without the results and maybe could get the Visa. We're thinking it could be due to a waiver. She goes to the Consulate and answers all of the questions and gives them the documentation. After harrassing her about being pregnant, Catholic & not married (even though our Holy Matrimony is blessed & approved by the Catholic Church...see my discussion about this below), they say they cannot approve the Visa because she has not had the Medical Examination. I am really p!$$ed off at this moment. She calls her doctors and they tell her she can have the X-Ray without any harm to our baby. She wears the protective shield and gets the X-Ray (no extra charge for the Medical Examination since it was done within 6 months of the first one) & goes to the Consulate later that same morning & receives the K-1 Visa.

If I had known this would happen, I would have considered having the medical exam conducted before the honeymoon (they are good for 6 months). The immigration attorney should have recommended this but didn't because she was clueless. Well anyway, the attorney didn't have a clue about what would be done during the medical exam and provided me with information (that I relied on) that was false. Lesson Learned:Don't blindly trust all of the advice of immigration attorneys. I knew more than she did. In fact, I think my unborn child had a higher IQ than she did.

P.S. I gave a letter to my Fiancee to have for the Consulate that was notarized saying I was aware of the pregnancy, that I was the father of the baby (which I knew because it happened on our honeymoon and my Fiancee is Holy) and that I still intend to marry my Fiancee (my Church-blessed spouse). I read where sometimes Consulates want to see such a letter in case the Sponsor changes their mind after finding our about the pregnancy.

On the issue of getting married in a Church prior to being married civially, you have to research the civil laws in your particular country. In Mexico, a Church service is NOT legal unless you have a civil ceremony. In other countries (such as Europe), a Church service may be considered civally legal. If your Church wedding is "legal", you must answer the question honestly in such countries. The lesson here is you must be VERY careful what you tell to the Consulate during the interview. Even though you had a sacramental service in a church...DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT tell the Consulate this, unless, of course, the Consulate asks if you received "the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony" a Church. You must always tell them the truth. Even so, only God knows for sure if your marriage has received without impediment so I wouldn't know how to answer this question for the Consulate if they asked me. If they ask you if you are married (and you are not "legally" married: I would still tell them "No" because their own paperwork asks if you are free to "legally" marry. Their own paperwork defines marriage as a "legal" marriage so when they ask questions about being "married", it's reasonable to respond about marriage in the Consulate's terms (i.e. "legal marriage".). You are answering honestly if you tell them "No" because your Church service in Mexico is not legal unless you have a Civil (Legal) ceremony. The immigration attorney I hired told me I was answering the question honestly by saying "No" to being married if undergoing a Church service...as long as it is not considered "legal." If you offer to tell them them that "Yes" you were married in a Church, this will cause you to engage in a debate with them that you will lose. They "hold all of the cards". Even though Holy Matrimony in a Catholic Church is not recognized by the federal government, they will tell you you need to get a different Visa (K-3 Visa) because you said you were "Married". Ultimately, the safest thing to do to avoid ANY possibility of a problem, is to have the Sacramental AND Civil Marriage in the United States to avoid having a moral conflict at the COnsulate or the Border if they ask you questions about this. I am not the Pillar of Truth on these matters and cannot be responsible if your K-1 Visa is rejected or you are turned away at the border for bringing in paperwork or pictures of your sacramental wedding. I am not recommending people do this, just giving them my experience.

I hope this will help those who might be in the same predicament as I was during this process. Good luck! Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Here's my original timeline estimates:

Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between June 23, 2009 and July 14, 2009.

--------------------

K-1 Visa

Service Centre : Vermont Service Centre

Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F Sent : 20th Jan 2009

I-129F NOA1 : 10nd Feb 2009

Check Cleared: 10th February 2009

Touched: 5th February 2009

I-129F NOA2: 5th May 2009 (#110 on Igor’s List)

(No email received or online update from USCIS. I received notice in mail on May 9, 2009).

Igor's list

03/31/09: #215

04/15/09: #165

04/30/09: #125

05/05/09: #110

(Approval Date-NOA2)

No email received or online update from USCIS on May 8th 2009 (Approval Date). I received notice in mail on May 9th. I was NOT applying thru a waiver program. We called Consulate in Juarez on 6-2-09 & they said they received approved application on 6-8-09 but we will need to wait up to 60 days before receiving Packet 3. We decided to call the Cosulate in Juarez again today (6-10-09) to see if Packet 3 was mailed. They told us that it was mailed on 6-15-09. We should be receiving anyday. We have all of the documentation ready so we'll go to Juarez next week or the week after.

I'm just going to comment about the x-ray. I too am pregnant. I had my family doctor write a note stating that I was pregnant, when I was due and their contact information incase the medical staff or embassy had questions. I had no problem when I went for my medical. I gave them the note and x-ray was bypassed.

The USCIS does also show on their site that pregnant women are excempt from the x-ray with a letter from their doctor. Because, even with a lead apron on the belly, the radiation is still not fully prevented from travelling in the tissue and possibly to the fetus, as little as it may be.

Also, at the interview, she should have had prove of the pregnancy such as an ultrasound picture or documentation from her doctor. Sorry you 2 had to go through this, as I know the process is stressful as is. I hope she has an easy labour and congrats on the up and coming bundle of joy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.