Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

hmm, my hubby just sent me a text message that said "be ready" :unsure: not sure what he means by that..

my suspicion is that he is going to be working really late tonight ... I hope not because he needs some sleep before we go to San Diego :blink:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good morning! Marilyn, have a blast on your vacation! I know you're looking forward to it, and hope you guys really enjoy your week away! Enjoy the game as well! Doctors appointment today for me...just routine though. Hope to get in some reading today as well. :thumbs:

Good-Morning-Coffee.jpg

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a dilemma. So I'm obviously entering the US very soon and getting married not much longer after that. Okay so here it is. I'm from a Dutch family as such I have a very Dutch last name. And my first name is Janka. So, in my Canadian view of things I would have kept my last name because there is only 15 of us kicking around here in Canada so I would like to see our family name go for as long as possible. However, since I'm moving to the US I don't want to be labeled as a foreigner (conceited I know) and perhaps be missing out on job opportunities and what not.

Long story short, I won't be keeping my last name because 1. it's the proper old fashion thing to do and 2. I don't want people to assume I don't speak english or whichever. But with my new married name its just going to feel like my name is cut off. lol You can't go from 13 letters to 5. I definitely can't do the hyphen because my whole name doesn't fit on my credit/debit cards as is. Does any of this make sense? I don't think it does..lol

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I have a dilemma. So I'm obviously entering the US very soon and getting married not much longer after that. Okay so here it is. I'm from a Dutch family as such I have a very Dutch last name. And my first name is Janka. So, in my Canadian view of things I would have kept my last name because there is only 15 of us kicking around here in Canada so I would like to see our family name go for as long as possible. However, since I'm moving to the US I don't want to be labeled as a foreigner (conceited I know) and perhaps be missing out on job opportunities and what not.

Long story short, I won't be keeping my last name because 1. it's the proper old fashion thing to do and 2. I don't want people to assume I don't speak english or whichever. But with my new married name its just going to feel like my name is cut off. lol You can't go from 13 letters to 5. I definitely can't do the hyphen because my whole name doesn't fit on my credit/debit cards as is. Does any of this make sense? I don't think it does..lol

Hi Beans,

Well it does and doesn't make sense - I see your reasoning (about wanting to change your name - not so much the 'not speaking english' part).

You sound like you have already made up your mind about taking a married name, so i'm not sure what the dilemma is? Just that you will miss your maiden name?

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Please - there are tons of rednecks with long names in the US - formerly European I might add - although in some cases they've tried to anglo-cise (sp?) them.

Don't change your name unless you like the reasons why you're changing it :) That's my best advice. I miss my old german last name (short as it was...4 letters)...now I have a very regular 'mungee-cake' last name...that everyone can say....but it's also very common I wish I'd hyphenated

I wish you luck on the final decision.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Several Sundays now on my way to church, I've seen a woman jogging with a Canadian flag pin on her shirt. I always want to wave but she'd probably think I'm some kind of crazy stalker.

~ Catherine

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Good morning! Marilyn, have a blast on your vacation! I know you're looking forward to it, and hope you guys really enjoy your week away! Enjoy the game as well! Doctors appointment today for me...just routine though. Hope to get in some reading today as well. :thumbs:

Good-Morning-Coffee.jpg

coffee is a good idea today, it's raining and cold (and it's august!)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

My last name is recognizably European. While it is easy to pronounce, most people have a lot of difficulty pronouncing it because there are 4 consenents in a row. It also is a very rare last name and all of the individuals with this last name belong to the same family group, in North America and overseas. There are already a few of my last name in the US but not many, and in Canada, well I don't even know if we have 15 left. My name is very much a part of my identity and I felt since I was giving up so many other things to come here and marry my husband, I did not want to give up my name as well - it is part of my identity - so I didn't. Don't let the belief that a foreign sounding name may be a liability here deter you from keeping your last name. If you want to change it because you and your husband will have the same name and you like that thought, that is one thing - but changing it because of concerns you will be targeted because of it is something else. Good luck in your decision.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The way I read your post beans was that you basically wanted to do the 'proper old fashion thing'.

If that isn't the case - I say poo poo - keep your maiden name if you want to!

Long story short, I won't be keeping my last name because 1. it's the proper old fashion thing to do and 2. I don't want people to assume I don't speak english or whichever. But with my new married name its just going to feel like my name is cut off.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I thought long and hard about changing my name. Like you, I didn't like the idea of giving up my name, but ultimately I wanted us all to be our own family (once we have kids) and it's something that I knew would take time to get used to. I mean it can't be expected after twenty something years not to be attached to your own name.

Even though I'm still getting used to my name name (which is especially weird at job interviews) I am happy that I changed it and knew it was the easiest thing to change it now.

Also about jobs and the english speaking thing. For me it was the opposite. My husband's last name is very spanish, so in order to ensure that I wasn't mistaken for a spanish girl, I use my maiden name as a middle name on my resume. It's worked out well so far although I honestly don't think it would've mattered if I had just used my spanish last name and not put my maiden name in there...I honestly wouldn't worry about that and wouldn't make it a reason to change your name. I think it's obvious from the way a cover letter and resume are written that someone is english speaking or if english is their second language.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
I thought long and hard about changing my name. Like you, I didn't like the idea of giving up my name, but ultimately I wanted us all to be our own family (once we have kids) and it's something that I knew would take time to get used to. I mean it can't be expected after twenty something years not to be attached to your own name.

Even though I'm still getting used to my name name (which is especially weird at job interviews) I am happy that I changed it and knew it was the easiest thing to change it now.

Also about jobs and the english speaking thing. For me it was the opposite. My husband's last name is very spanish, so in order to ensure that I wasn't mistaken for a spanish girl, I use my maiden name as a middle name on my resume. It's worked out well so far although I honestly don't think it would've mattered if I had just used my spanish last name and not put my maiden name in there...I honestly wouldn't worry about that and wouldn't make it a reason to change your name. I think it's obvious from the way a cover letter and resume are written that someone is english speaking or if english is their second language.

:rofl:

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:rofl:

I know it's sounds silly! But living in Queens with a Spanish last name is quite the identity changer. Now that I've been applying to jobs and such now and going for interviews I've realized that it really doesn't matter and I don't think my name has any bearing on anything because its my resume that says it all. I will admit that I was naive for thinking that it did matter as much as it did.

I learned my lesson!!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.