Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I really miss Canadian colourful currency and how you can easily tell the bills apart :lol: I went to Rite Aid and used debit, did $20 cash back. The clerk gave me 2 bills which I stuffed in my wallet. When I got home, I realized she gave me 2 twenty dollar bills - I assumed she gave me 2 tens when she handed me back 2 bills. So I drove all the way back to return the $20. Of course, if in Canada, I would have immediately recognized the bright bills and known straight away

Nice Job Jill, way to do the right thing!!! :thumbs::thumbs:

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Marilyn, I just love the new signature picture you have - those balloons are wonderful!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

That is a nice pic for you signature!!! I would LOVE to go for a balloon ride sometime.

Just finished my last day of work!!! Got my last paycheque and ROE...

4 more days..and I'm State bound!! Wow...sure has gone quickly.

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just a random, fleeting throught that passed through my head as I prepare to actually start working........

As far back as I can remember, I always thought it was ridiculous that the drinking age in the U.S. is 21. At 18, you are old enough to smoke, vote, go to war, and be held accountable legally for your actions. But it wasn't until I went to a couple of bars in London, Ontario that I finally came to my senses and am now fully in favor of it. Why? Well, because drunk 18-19 year olds are just annoying, and even worse in a bar where it is more difficult to escape them :rofl:

It wasn't always 21. My parents remember when the drinking age was 18. The primary reason the age was raised was due to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (aka MADD). Their influence was so strong that DC eventually capitulated and changed the law.

While I fully understand and appreciate MADD's efforts, I fail to see how it really makes a whole lot of sense. What does age really have to do with maturity? I've known lots of 18-20 year-olds who've acted far more mature than those in their 30s or 40s.

Like most "interest groups," MADD has lost its original focus and now attacks anything to get noticed. For instance... MADD rallied against Grand Theft Auto IV because you could drive while inebriated. What MADD failed to realize or even acknowledge was that if drunk, the game ITSELF recommends you take a taxi. Your car will become much more difficult to control if you try to drive drunk and if a police officer notices your drunken driving, you'll become "wanted" and chased down. So contrary to what MADD proclaims, GTA4 does not promote drunk driving. It may allow it, but doing so can have negative consequences (much like murder and prostitution in the GTA games).

You completely missed my point. :P

As far back as I can remember (I am in my early 30's) the drinking age has been 21. I'm well aware of what it used to be in the 60's and of the various exceptions in certain counties still today. My problem with the age limit is canada is that teenagers are annoying :P

I do agree with you about special interest groups. They are much like PETA and that mothers group who opposed offensive language in music. They think they have the best interest of people and kids specifically in mind. They are however a far cry in reality from what their mission statement deliniates.

You hardly need a special interest group to prove that teens are annoying! :P

Timeline

Wow, waffles! I love weekend breakfasts! thanks!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
argh, don't think we will be going to Red Robin today.. looks liek I get to spend another day/evening by myself.. hubby's brother is coming to pick him up shortly.. they are making flyers for another brother's business and then tomorrow they are handing those flyers out... so there goes this weekend :(.. yes I know we are going on vacation next week but still...

so I posted this yesterday in the What's for dinner thread...

anyways.. hubby got back about 8pm or so and said his brother was going to pick him up around 5am :o because his brother had somewhere to be later and I was like if he had plans for today why not do this flyer thing another time.. :blink:

so 2am rolled around and the hubby still wasn't tired but I was so I went to sleep... he left around 5 or so.. he said he had a little nap... he said he shouldn't be that long.. well here it is almost 9:30am and he still isn't home :unsure: the poor guy is going to be exhausted...

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Hehe posting from my husbands office in center city. :P

We went to play mini golf, had burgers and fries at the Stephen Starr burger bar in Franklin Square, walked around old city and now we're here. It's pretty hot out there so we came in for some air conditioning and water. Then my husband decided to start one of his projects. :lol:

So I think we may be here for a bit. No one is here so it's nice. :D

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Good morning all!

It's supposed to go up to 18 degrees today woot! It's been rainy and overcast here now for a few days.

I think we will go visit my Mom today, since she can't be lured out for chinese food.

Timeline

Rain, rain and more rain here in Stoon!1 picked up the New Toyota Venza yesterday in Prince Albert, a sweet ride!!! The air show was cancelled yesterday and I'm sure the air portion will be cancelled again for today! I guess some events wil still take place at the credit union centre (hockey rink) too bad as this was the last air show for Stoon!! Getting my full of Tim Hortons!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

so we leave for San Diego tomorrow. :dance: I am all packed and ready to go... :D

I can't believe it is already here... the only sad thing is I know this week is going to go by too quickly.. time flies when you are having fun... :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
so we leave for San Diego tomorrow. :dance: I am all packed and ready to go... :D

I can't believe it is already here... the only sad thing is I know this week is going to go by too quickly.. time flies when you are having fun... :P

Have fun Marilyn!!

Hey, where is krikit!!

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.