Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I much prefer this cool weather than DC mugginess. high of 18 today,14 tomorrow, and 16 sunday,lol Parents pick up thier new Toyota Venza tomorrow in Prince Albert, might have to use their heated seats,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I much prefer this cool weather than DC mugginess. high of 18 today,14 tomorrow, and 16 sunday,lol Parents pick up thier new Toyota Venza tomorrow in Prince Albert, might have to use their heated seats,lol

No kidding flames! I wouldn't mind the cooler weather so much if here in Canada we actually got a summer with some decently warm days! It hasn't been so! :crying: It's been sort of muggy the past few days with the rain but I am so sick of this rain and the temperature barely breaking 20C!!!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

:lol:

I have to say, I don't miss the humidity one bit. Now when winter gets here and I am getting static shocks all over the place - well I may change my mind on that.

We went to Florida in search of better weather, but honestly - I can't say that it is 'better' - different yes, better, no. We traded snow for incredible heat and humidity.

Oh there was just a thing on the news where Swift Current is being over run by rats!!

Swift Current seeing upsurge of rats

THE CANADIAN PRESS

SWIFT CURRENT, Sask. - There's nothing like a common enemy to bind a people together, and in the Saskatchewan community of Swift Current, that enemy is the rat.

The city's been seeing an upsurge of the rodents, with reports of phone cords being chewed, walls being scratched and sinks being damaged.

Stewart Biech, a provincial pest control officer, has been busy fielding reports coming in from throughout Swift Current.

“About a couple months ago, this thing kind of ballooned a little bit,” he said.

“People are very concerned. Most people are absolutely terrified of rats and the thought of rats and what they can do.”

And with good reason. If there is a way into a building, the rats will find it. And then? Well, according to Biech, the horror movies aren't far wrong.

“If they're in your house you should be afraid of that,” he warned. “They will do things while you're sleeping. There's been recorded cases of where they gnaw on people's arms or whatever.”

:o

:lol:

I have to say, I don't miss the humidity one bit. Now when winter gets here and I am getting static shocks all over the place - well I may change my mind on that.

We went to Florida in search of better weather, but honestly - I can't say that it is 'better' - different yes, better, no. We traded snow for incredible heat and humidity.

Oh there was just a thing on the news where Swift Current is being over run by rats!!

Swift Current seeing upsurge of rats

THE CANADIAN PRESS

SWIFT CURRENT, Sask. - There's nothing like a common enemy to bind a people together, and in the Saskatchewan community of Swift Current, that enemy is the rat.

The city's been seeing an upsurge of the rodents, with reports of phone cords being chewed, walls being scratched and sinks being damaged.

Stewart Biech, a provincial pest control officer, has been busy fielding reports coming in from throughout Swift Current.

“About a couple months ago, this thing kind of ballooned a little bit,” he said.

“People are very concerned. Most people are absolutely terrified of rats and the thought of rats and what they can do.”

And with good reason. If there is a way into a building, the rats will find it. And then? Well, according to Biech, the horror movies aren't far wrong.

“If they're in your house you should be afraid of that,” he warned. “They will do things while you're sleeping. There's been recorded cases of where they gnaw on people's arms or whatever.”

:o

:o *Shudders* They better not migrate east to regina! I've never even seen a rat here!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: Other Country: Andorra
Timeline

Just a random, fleeting throught that passed through my head as I prepare to actually start working........

As far back as I can remember, I always thought it was ridiculous that the drinking age in the U.S. is 21. At 18, you are old enough to smoke, vote, go to war, and be held accountable legally for your actions. But it wasn't until I went to a couple of bars in London, Ontario that I finally came to my senses and am now fully in favor of it. Why? Well, because drunk 18-19 year olds are just annoying, and even worse in a bar where it is more difficult to escape them :rofl:

Indy.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmm, maybe I should try to move the feral cat colony and the one stray still looking for a home to Swift Current . . .

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just a random, fleeting throught that passed through my head as I prepare to actually start working........

As far back as I can remember, I always thought it was ridiculous that the drinking age in the U.S. is 21. At 18, you are old enough to smoke, vote, go to war, and be held accountable legally for your actions. But it wasn't until I went to a couple of bars in London, Ontario that I finally came to my senses and am now fully in favor of it. Why? Well, because drunk 18-19 year olds are just annoying, and even worse in a bar where it is more difficult to escape them :rofl:

It wasn't always 21. My parents remember when the drinking age was 18. The primary reason the age was raised was due to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (aka MADD). Their influence was so strong that DC eventually capitulated and changed the law.

While I fully understand and appreciate MADD's efforts, I fail to see how it really makes a whole lot of sense. What does age really have to do with maturity? I've known lots of 18-20 year-olds who've acted far more mature than those in their 30s or 40s.

Like most "interest groups," MADD has lost its original focus and now attacks anything to get noticed. For instance... MADD rallied against Grand Theft Auto IV because you could drive while inebriated. What MADD failed to realize or even acknowledge was that if drunk, the game ITSELF recommends you take a taxi. Your car will become much more difficult to control if you try to drive drunk and if a police officer notices your drunken driving, you'll become "wanted" and chased down. So contrary to what MADD proclaims, GTA4 does not promote drunk driving. It may allow it, but doing so can have negative consequences (much like murder and prostitution in the GTA games).

Well, I got my DL renewed and extended for the one year. How annoying and what a run-around I got! Not today though...I showed them my stamp in my passport, and my utility bill...that was it. Handed in my old license. I didn't go to the place I did yesterday...I just couldn't stomach anymore arguing. I will be writing a letter to that office though, since the other office I went to today said all I would have needed is my GC and extension letter. UGH! So, best advise I guess is if you get any static at one office, try another. :thumbs: That would have saved me an infopass appointment, $6.00 parking fee at the downtown office, and the loss of my GC. :crying:

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

yeah it sucks they took your green card but that stamp in your passport is like your temporary green card..

that is the same stamp CR1 visa holders get when they first use their visa to get into the US...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

It wasn't always 21. My parents remember when the drinking age was 18. The primary reason the age was raised was due to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (aka MADD). Their influence was so strong that DC eventually capitulated and changed the law.

While I fully understand and appreciate MADD's efforts, I fail to see how it really makes a whole lot of sense. What does age really have to do with maturity? I've known lots of 18-20 year-olds who've acted far more mature than those in their 30s or 40s.

Like most "interest groups," MADD has lost its original focus and now attacks anything to get noticed. For instance... MADD rallied against Grand Theft Auto IV because you could drive while inebriated. What MADD failed to realize or even acknowledge was that if drunk, the game ITSELF recommends you take a taxi. Your car will become much more difficult to control if you try to drive drunk and if a police officer notices your drunken driving, you'll become "wanted" and chased down. So contrary to what MADD proclaims, GTA4 does not promote drunk driving. It may allow it, but doing so can have negative consequences (much like murder and prostitution in the GTA games).

You completely missed my point. :P

As far back as I can remember (I am in my early 30's) the drinking age has been 21. I'm well aware of what it used to be in the 60's and of the various exceptions in certain counties still today. My problem with the age limit is canada is that teenagers are annoying :P

I do agree with you about special interest groups. They are much like PETA and that mothers group who opposed offensive language in music. They think they have the best interest of people and kids specifically in mind. They are however a far cry in reality from what their mission statement deliniates.

Timeline

As far back as I can remember (I am in my early 30's) the drinking age has been 21. I'm well aware of what it used to be in the 60's and of the various exceptions in certain counties still today. My problem with the age limit is canada is that teenagers are annoying :P

I do agree with you about special interest groups. They are much like PETA and that mothers group who opposed offensive language in music. They think they have the best interest of people and kids specifically in mind. They are however a far cry in reality from what their mission statement deliniates.

As are many groups, like the Canadian blood donor services who use fear mongering to get blood donations (wow off topic !)

Anyhoo Carla, glad to hear you got your license, however that doesn't cancel the extreme hassle to had to go through to get the darn thing!

Filed: Other Country: Andorra
Timeline

As are many groups, like the Canadian blood donor services who use fear mongering to get blood donations (wow off topic !)

Anyhoo Carla, glad to hear you got your license, however that doesn't cancel the extreme hassle to had to go through to get the darn thing!

Oh don't get me started on the blood donation groups. Aparently I have a quite desireable blood type. I signed up years ago for a national list, for marrow donation. I have an extreme phobia of needles, but I had a friend in university who was in dire need of a bone marrow transplant, so I bit the bullet and did it. Years later, I get these calls and pamphlets mailed to me. They have tracked down my work address and have sent me stuff here. Kind of creepy. I'd expect this sort of behavior from a psychotic ex-girlfriend, but not so much from a health organization :lol:

Indy.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I really miss Canadian colourful currency and how you can easily tell the bills apart :lol: I went to Rite Aid and used debit, did $20 cash back. The clerk gave me 2 bills which I stuffed in my wallet. When I got home, I realized she gave me 2 twenty dollar bills - I assumed she gave me 2 tens when she handed me back 2 bills. So I drove all the way back to return the $20. Of course, if in Canada, I would have immediately recognized the bright bills and known straight away

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.