Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My parents in Stoon use kijiji, just sold there pristine Oldsmobile Alero last week!! They just bought a new loaded up Toyota Venza. Craigslist doesnt seem to get used much there, but kijiji is.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline
So someone just came and bought our washer and dryer which is good, from an ad I put on craigslist, they aren't going to pick them up until the week after next - so that works perfectly. Basically I said in the ad that they couldn't be picked up until the 27th.

Sold them for $150 - which is a pittance :lol: - however we are moving to an apartment in Calgary first and it just seems silly to haul them all the way there so we can store them in the 2nd bedroom!

Also got our TV, internet and Phone set up in Calgary this morning. You know, not one of them asked me for my SIN haha (the only people I had to give ID to was Shaw Cable and they were happy with a DL number).

Another thing I think is funny - of all the people we have told that we are moving back to Canada, not one person has said - why? - oh except the kid that mows our lawn :lol:

I mean it's no big mystery, we just prefer Calgary - but I still find it funny.

Best of luck on the move. :thumbs: Sounds like you guys are really well organized already though!

Timeline
damn must have missed a lot, had no clue u guys were moving back to calgary,lol I love Calgary, spent some time there in my Army days, and my sister lives there.

I have had very little luck on CL selling stuff. Tried selling our old washer/dryer on there, included pics and only wanted $50 for both of them--they worked fine, but not 1 bite!! said FREE, then flooded,lol same for our old oven--worked great, said $25, no response, then FREE, whammoo flooded again!! Both went to good homes, people that could really use them, so it all worked out.

gl on ur travels back to Calgary!!

Thanks flames! and moni - yes, I didn't expect them to ask me for my SIN, just a complete contrast to the U.S. where everyone must have your SSN.

I sold a few things before leaving Calgary using kijiji - that went well - but yes, we gave away a lot of stuff and the response was instant emails!

We only had 2 responses to our washer and dryer ad on craigslist here - zero responses on our kijiji ad.

Oh oh I guess I will have to get over my fear of giving out SSN/SIN, if not I wont have any utilites/cable or a DL.

Edited by moni_calla

MONI_CALLA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Even though we decided to stay in my in laws house for a while my fiance and I went looking at a couple apartments today... I'm not really sure why, we were driving around and did it on a whim. The bad thing is that I fell in love with a gorgeous open concept apartment in a brand new complex and its pretty expensive and probably overpriced for the area... But I can't get it out of my mind! It has a huge gym, a gorgeous pool area, they offer shuttle services to public transit, there is a lovely balcony with a view towards the mountains, its so close to my fiances work he could just walk if he wanted to, meaning I could have the car and we wouldn't need to get a second one, and they are just finishing building everything, meaning we'd have a place nobody else has ever lived in... We should wait and save money but I'm having a hard time letting it go.

damn must have missed a lot, had no clue u guys were moving back to calgary,lol I love Calgary, spent some time there in my Army days, and my sister lives there.

Yeah, guess that was when I was taking my nap! Glad everything's working out for you! I know I won't be moving back to Canada...at least not with Tim. The climate just won't do for his body :no:

Edited by TimandJoyce

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Timeline
Even though we decided to stay in my in laws house for a while my fiance and I went looking at a couple apartments today... I'm not really sure why, we were driving around and did it on a whim. The bad thing is that I fell in love with a gorgeous open concept apartment in a brand new complex and its pretty expensive and probably overpriced for the area... But I can't get it out of my mind! It has a huge gym, a gorgeous pool area, they offer shuttle services to public transit, there is a lovely balcony with a view towards the mountains, its so close to my fiances work he could just walk if he wanted to, meaning I could have the car and we wouldn't need to get a second one, and they are just finishing building everything, meaning we'd have a place nobody else has ever lived in... We should wait and save money but I'm having a hard time letting it go.

Wow, sounds so nice! Is your fiance considering it, does he love it as well? I'd love to live in a place no one has been in before! Think of that brand new tub....

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Wow, sounds so nice! Is your fiance considering it, does he love it as well? I'd love to live in a place no one has been in before! Think of that brand new tub....

My thoughts exactly! I'm a little bit of a germaphobe so soaking in a tub no other bum has touched is rather exciting to me. We are considering it and both love it, but we need to really think it through first. Until I start working money will be tight with a rent payment that high... It will be doable but tight. So we'll go from saving lots of money to spending lots of money instead! :lol: I think i'm going to go back with a barrage of questions, It will probably help sway me.

Timeline

Thanks MrsCat and TimandJoyce!

So the freeze dried ice cream - it tastes like dried ice cream candy - has the consistency of hmm - well candy that melts in your mouth. It actually tastes really good!

spaceicecream002-1.jpg

My thoughts exactly! I'm a little bit of a germaphobe so soaking in a tub no other bum has touched is rather exciting to me. We are considering it and both love it, but we need to really think it through first. Until I start working money will be tight with a rent payment that high... It will be doable but tight. So we'll go from saving lots of money to spending lots of money instead! :lol: I think i'm going to go back with a barrage of questions, It will probably help sway me.

Sounds exciting...and the best part...starting off your new life on your own!! I'm sure you two will work out what's best.

Thanks MrsCat and TimandJoyce!

So the freeze dried ice cream - it tastes like dried ice cream candy - has the consistency of hmm - well candy that melts in your mouth. It actually tastes really good!

spaceicecream002-1.jpg

Ok, that really looks interesting. Now I wanna try some! :lol:

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Timeline

Free dried ice cream? Really? I'm intrigued... Ever have fried ice cream? I hear its amazing but I've never had it!

We're going back to that apartment today. I have some questions and some demands, so we'll see how they react to it. I want a mountain view unit in the building they haven't finished yet, and I don't want to move in until September at the earliest. I have my fingers crossed!

We also found a different apartment that's only a couple years old right across the street, so we're going to check that one out too. The rooms were looking at are $100 cheaper. We'll see if the savings are worth it!

Timeline

Hope it works out for you Huggles... I sort of went through the same thing before I moved here. I wanted this really nice apartment, we saw it and I fell in love with the complex. It had an outdoor pool, tennis courts, gym, 18 hole golf course, 2 bed 2 bath, fireplace. Absolutely amazing, my heart was set on it. The apartment Glen lived in was nice, but only 1 bathroom and it's a duplex not a complex so no amenities. Anyway, the difference in rent was over $400 a month. When we set out our budget, we realized truthfully wouldn't be able to afford the place I wanted without a second income and without scraping to get by. I had to accept that the better place would come later, so I moved into Glen's apartment where he was already living. The rent is really reasonable and we can afford it no problem on his income, the other place not so much. We made the right decision as I'm not working yet and we would probably be struggling if we moved into the other place. It was what I WANTED but I know that will come later! Just something to think about, as it may make sense to save money by living with the in-laws and you could always move to the great place 6-9 months later - I'm sure there will be vacancies! (just playing devil's advocate here) :) I totally know how you feel about wanting the great place with your sweetie :D

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

this is something that has puzzled me for awhile now...

at the laundromat I go to we have triple loaders... which by my definition means you can stick 2 or 3 regular loads in there but all the time I see people only putting maybe half a regular load in one of them :blink: why would they do that?? there are single and double washers there too :unsure:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

speaking of moving.. we want to move too.. we love our place, nice and big but the neighborhood sucks, which I have probably mentioned before... I would like to move tomorrow but that isn't possible...

I want to wait until our car is paid off, which is April/May of next year (although we will probably use our tax money we get in March or so to pay off the car) ...that will give us an extra 300 bucks a month to go to rent

.. we could move within a few months but we would have to live very frugally until the car is paid off as we won't have a lot of extra money...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Well, we were on our way to the nice apartment and noticed a different apartment complex being built down the street. So we stopped and thought we'd check it out. It was even better than the last place! It was bigger, rent is $50 cheaper, and it includes a free washer/dryer. It also has a fireplace and a mountain view for no extra charge. Its brand new just like the other place, so there's security in knowing nobody else has lived there. The catch is the financial requirements... we are right on the edge. We decided to put in an app and see how it goes. They also agreed to let us wait and move in in October, since the unit wouldn't be finished until September at the earliest... and the first month is virtually free. We have virtually no monthly expenses, so we know we can make the payments just fine, but they want you to make 3 times the cost of the monthly rent payment to qualify... and we're like $100 short it seems. She said if you're really close they usually let you go... so here's hoping!

The in laws don't know about it yet... They might be mad!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.