• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Nevada,

I can appreciate your concern about long distance driving on your own. I am type 1 diabetic and know what it is like to have your blood sugars bottom out. I do drive on my own but I remember that first long distance drive shortly after I was diagnosed - I drove from Chatham Ontario to the Kentucky/Ohio border for a weekend re-enactment camping and then back aftewards. Everything was fine but I did need to stop at a restaurant on my way home for dinner. I always carry those 100% fruit juice boxes with me - fruit juice is about the fastest way to get your blood glucose back up quickly. Carry a few of those in the car (they keep) and have them beside you when you drive. Having something to eat every two hours will work, but along with the fruit have some carbohydrates. Fruit is good for a quick influx of glucose to the blood stream but you want something that lasts so you need to have some complex carbohydrates as well. They have 'staying' power. You can also slow down the glycemix index of fruit by adding a protein or a fat with that so have some cheese and crackers or crackers and peanut butter as well. They will stop your sugars from bottoming out and the fruit will be a quick sugar fix if you need it.

If you suffer a lot from low blood sugars you might still want to invest in a glucometer for peace of mind. I never leave home without mine and check it a number of times a day, especially if I am doing something like driving a distance.

Good luck on the drive.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
This afternoon I decided to visit the Georgia Archives which are nearby. They are actually the Southeastern Regional Archives of the National Archives. It was my first time there. They had a new exhibit that just opened last month called 'Documented Rights' about rights issues as presented through documents - from slavery issues, through immigration and citizenship issues through women's rights and civil rights, etc. The exhibit is excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed touring it. While I was there there was a man taking photographs (without flash) and since the archive staff didn't object I presumed he had permission.

So, this evening I was reading the Atlanta Journal Constitution online and see an article about this new exhibit. When I clicked on it, there is a photograph - and quess what! I am in the background! Yep - the fellow taking photographs must have been the reporter/photographer from the paper.

Anyway, here is the link to the article. You can click on the photograph to see it enlarged - I'm the blonde in the background behind the child:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/sto...it_slavery.html

That's so neat! Sounds really interesting

Chris and I are finally taking a day to hang out. Since we moved in April, we have had almost no weekends together. So we're heading to Honolulu tomorrow for some shopping, Popeye's Chicken (don't ask), watch the first boats to arrive from the Transpacific Race and to look at a sailboat we're thinking of buying. Then fly back the same night to tuck ThomasJ, Oscar and Dale into bed. :dance:

So fun! Enjoy yourself :)

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
I don't have a blood monitor... my doctors told me it wasn't necessary.... yet.

I am usually fine, I try to eat regularly but it's when I am in the car on long drives that I tend to forget. :(

That's not something to be embarrassed about. There are already so many things that can go wrong on long car trips. :(

Perhaps schedule with Mike, call in times where you pull over and check-in. Have a quick snack at that time too? I dunno, its so easy to put on the cruise control for hours and never really remember how long since you last ate or even stretched your legs for a few minutes.

Thats exactly what it is, I forget on road trips. I am sure I'll be fine, we're going out to buy a blue tooth today and my mom and Mike will be calling me a lot I'm sure.

I just hear about people doing the drive by themselves and saying its not big deal and I feel stupid because I have never done it alone. I know I can make it, I have driven the entire way before but I have always had someone in the car with me which helps incase my sugar gets low and we usually stop 3 times.

The drive back, I'll have Ethan which makes me even more nervous but again, I'll have to stop. It's hard because you want to get to your destination as quickly as possible.

Don't feel stupid! I know what you mean that you want to get to your destination as quickly as possible, but take your time! I always drive by myself, have actually never done the trip with anyone and I usually feel rushed. Even moving here, I was in my car alone. Just take your time, you're going to get there! I will never do that drive in the winter

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
Hi Nevada,

I can appreciate your concern about long distance driving on your own. I am type 1 diabetic and know what it is like to have your blood sugars bottom out. I do drive on my own but I remember that first long distance drive shortly after I was diagnosed - I drove from Chatham Ontario to the Kentucky/Ohio border for a weekend re-enactment camping and then back aftewards. Everything was fine but I did need to stop at a restaurant on my way home for dinner. I always carry those 100% fruit juice boxes with me - fruit juice is about the fastest way to get your blood glucose back up quickly. Carry a few of those in the car (they keep) and have them beside you when you drive. Having something to eat every two hours will work, but along with the fruit have some carbohydrates. Fruit is good for a quick influx of glucose to the blood stream but you want something that lasts so you need to have some complex carbohydrates as well. They have 'staying' power. You can also slow down the glycemix index of fruit by adding a protein or a fat with that so have some cheese and crackers or crackers and peanut butter as well. They will stop your sugars from bottoming out and the fruit will be a quick sugar fix if you need it.

If you suffer a lot from low blood sugars you might still want to invest in a glucometer for peace of mind. I never leave home without mine and check it a number of times a day, especially if I am doing something like driving a distance.

Good luck on the drive.

Thanks a lot Kathryn!

I was thinking of buying a monitor too just to be safee. My entire family has type 2 diabetes and I know my day is coming too. It is scary just because I have felt faint before and I am afraid that I'd get stuck in traffic of something with that feeling. Oh all the 'what ifs' I have. I will find some fruit juice boxes and bring some carbs too.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

One further comforting thought, Nevada . . .

When your blood sugar goes low and you start getting that fainting, quaking feeling it is because you body has kicked in with adrenalin as a trigger to your body that something needs attention right away. The next stage is that your liver will release a shot of glucose (where it is stored) into your blood stream through a process known as glycolosis. It is highly unlikely that you would have to endure low blood sugar for very long before that happens, although you certainly don't want to push things. So, just remember you body does have a 'back up system' for getting blood glucose into your system that would most likely kick in before you actually fainted or worse, especially as you are not taking any medications for the condition. It may just be a bit delayed which is why you are having blood sugar issues - it is still there, however.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Ohhhh an Iced Cap! I miss those!

We went to the Denver Zoo today! It was great but it was so hot and sunny... I could have used one of those.

Filed: Timeline

Good morning everyone. I was quite sick yesterday and the day before, so I wasn't online. Starting to feel better now, though. Somewhat. I guess it might be time to find a doctor. :(

Kathryn, that's so fun that you were in that pic!

Trailmix, did you find the little lizard?

Cat, your trip sounds so exciting! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Sprailenes, how fun that you're going on an adventure! I love love love driving to Canada and back alone. I have one of those coolers that you plug into the outlet in your car. It's fabulous for keeping my drinks and snacks cold while I travel. I'm pretty picky about what I eat so it's nice to have my own food. Plus it cuts down on the cost of buying junky stuff from the vending machines or the fast food areas.

Happy Sunday everybody. :star:

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes, the lizard finally came out of its hiding spot last night!

Thanks Trailmix. :luv:

How did you catch it?

Umm well, Mike spotted it in the bathroom, and we have a little net we use (just one of those medium sized fish bowl nets) - so I quickly throw towels around the cabinet and he catches it but by mistake he like kneeled or stepped on it.

Filed: Timeline
Umm well, Mike spotted it in the bathroom, and we have a little net we use (just one of those medium sized fish bowl nets) - so I quickly throw towels around the cabinet and he catches it but by mistake he like kneeled or stepped on it.

:o

:crying:

:lol:

You know, I never thought of using a towel. That would probably help a lot..... if you just throw it over top. At least it would cover a wider range. I guess I should also invest in a net. That's a good idea too.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh and the racoons, well I guess after a couple of days they got used to the tinfoil - so I took some A535 and put it in little baggies - there are 3 holes to cover - and I just left the open baggies by the holes. I guess racoons don't like A535 - no digging last night!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.