Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I've got Canadian and New Zealand citizenship... If I decide to become an American citizen (which is quite likely), I'll be a tri-citizen myself. Obviously that's only in technical terms, given that you swear an oath renouncing citizenship though (but the oath isn't recognized as an official renunciation by the other countries of citizenship).

By the way, how'd you know I only have three teeth?

I think we all knew that....

Why do you have NZ citizenship? I was a permanent resident there - lived there for like 9 years.

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think we all knew that....

Why do you have NZ citizenship? I was a permanent resident there - lived there for like 9 years.

My father is a New Zealander. Six years ago, when I was in a different career etc., I gave serious thought to moving down there, and was able to obtain citizenship through descent...so I did. I'm still proud of it, but as you might expect, I'd give it up if I had to in the process of becoming a U.S. citizen.

It's a beautiful country and I'd love to retire there though. As strange as it sounds, I feel the New Zealand culture in my blood, even more strongly than my Canadian culture.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

Doesn't sound strange to me. My Son is a NZ citizen, his Father is a kiwi, in fact he is there right now (flew over last month), has gone to live there for a year or two, in Auckland staying with family.

I love New Zealand, it's a truly fantastic country.

Timeline

You know, the view we have from this apartment is pretty amazing.

Because we face mostly west we get a lot of sun during the day, because there are no leaves on the crabapple tree outside, but when I remember to open the blinds in the evening, the sunset is spectacular!

Right now it is a yellow and salmon and pink setting over the rockies - amazing!

Timeline
My father is a New Zealander. Six years ago, when I was in a different career etc., I gave serious thought to moving down there, and was able to obtain citizenship through descent...so I did. I'm still proud of it, but as you might expect, I'd give it up if I had to in the process of becoming a U.S. citizen.

It's a beautiful country and I'd love to retire there though. As strange as it sounds, I feel the New Zealand culture in my blood, even more strongly than my Canadian culture.

Ooh...fightin' words.

Actually, I've heard amazing things about New Zealand as well. I've been planning on "secretly saving" up enough money during the next couple years to surprise my hubby with a trip there.

Edit: Almost forgot! Since a few of you seem to know the country well, where would be a good place to stay while we're there? Where are the touristy towns, and if there are some not-so-touristy-but-still-amazing places there, which cities should I look at?

Edited by Misty1979

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

I'd love to go back to New Zealand...I spent an hour in the Auckland airport on my way back from Sydney. It was the evening and even the view from the airport was amazing!

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Timeline
Ooh...fightin' words.

Actually, I've heard amazing things about New Zealand as well. I've been planning on "secretly saving" up enough money during the next couple years to surprise my hubby with a trip there.

Edit: Almost forgot! Since a few of you seem to know the country well, where would be a good place to stay while we're there? Where are the touristy towns, and if there are some not-so-touristy-but-still-amazing places there, which cities should I look at?

I've lived in Auckland, Wellington and Dunedin (there are basically four 'big cities' - Christchurch being the other one). They all have their own charm and places around them that are amazing to visit.

All of NZ is pretty, so it's not like if you went to Auckland you couldn't drive an hour to say, Orewa beach and be out in the country with a beautiful miles long white beach at your doorstep!

Touristy - as far as seeing some Maori culture - would be Rotorua - they have the hot mud pools there, which are very sulphury and smell quite bad :lol: - but if you are not staying for an extended period and want to soak up some culture, it's a nice place to visit.

Then again there are all kinds of cultural things to see around Auckland too, but if you want to travel a bit, that would be a recommendation.

Filed: Timeline

Wow. I just took an hour to catch up on this thread since I left. :o I'm thinking I won't be catching up on any of the other threads. :lol:

Also she posted that she had genital warts.

:o

:lol:

I'm so far behind.... I don't even know what thread you're talking about. lol. But I had to laugh at Sprailenes' post. :lol:

We're gonna announce my preggos during the family Christmas dinner!

Ohmygosh, Raven! Congratulations!!!!!

I found out two days ago, lol. At first I was thrilled, felt like I won the baby lotto...then I watched a bunch of birth videos (epidural, c-section, waterbirth, etc) yesterday and now I'm freaked the hell out!

Haha. Reminds me of my first pregnancy. About one month before giving birth I had a panic attack. I suddenly fully appreciated what I was in for and thought "OHMYGOD! I'VE CHANGED MY MIND! I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS!!!!!" :crying:

Haha. Too late. :P

Just reading Ewoks letter he posted and it made me think of our mods/organizers here who contribute so much to making VJ the place that it is. It must be hard to take such a beating everyday from everyone who thinks they know better and second guessing your every move.

So thank you to Krikit and Kathryn you really do a lot for the VJ family. (L)

Just kidding. I COMPLETELY agree! We've got an amazing forum here -- the friendliest of ANY I have been on -- and a huge part of that is the judiciousness of the mod crew. You gals (and guys!) rock!

Very true, and might I throw in a big thank you as well to Trailmix...our personal immigration guru here in the Canuck forum (L)

Oh, MrsCat, Wyatt, and Misty. That is so so nice of you. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. (F)

Krikit is back yay! Welcome back!

Thanks Trailmix! We had a wonderful time. It was heartbreaking to say goodbye, though. I hate goodbyes. :cry:

I can't believe Christmas is all over with, now. Wow. So glad I don't have any Christmas decorations to take down. :lol: Oh well. Now on to more laundry. Have a nice day, everyone. :)

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Ooh...fightin' words.

I totally agree with Trailmix's advice (common words around here, I know). I've never been to the South Island, but have spent a month and a half in the North Island (across two trips), and much of those were spent driving around most of the island. My father is from Palmerston North, which is not far from Wellington. I quite liked the area above Auckland though, including Whangarei, Paihia, Russell and the Bay of Islands. Some great beaches up there...but there are great beaches throughout the country. I haven't made it up the lengthy Northwestern Peninsula yet, though I'm guessing it must be like a milder Baja California...

Rotorua is really the cultural hub of NZ though. And yes, it DOES smell. :lol: But if you can make it to a hungi (which is similar to a luau) and a Maori dance, you'll be thanking yourself...and maybe get a sense of how deep the culture runs in one's blood.

I love Canada, and am a lifelong Canadian...but it's impossible to explain the deep sense of kinship with New Zealand culture. I can only explain it by the blood bond, and even THAT sounds slightly new-agey, which I'm not.

Should be a great trip though, Misty!

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline
I love Canada, and am a lifelong Canadian...but it's impossible to explain the deep sense of kinship with New Zealand culture. I can only explain it by the blood bond, and even THAT sounds slightly new-agey, which I'm not.

I don't think it sounds new-agey at all? I feel a strong kinship with NZ and I was only a permanent resident! My Son was born in Canada, but did live in NZ for about 6 years or so, so of course he would have a connection - but I absolutely can understand how you feel that way.

Good morning all. Mike has today off as well, which is great. I have to call the bank and I don't want to :lol:

The bank is very nice, I just get tired of the long conversations, I just want to call someplace and have them say "Why trailmix, so nice to hear from you, you can have anything you want, just tell us what that is"!

Krikit, I never even knew you had kids :lol:

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

well all.. back after a nice trip home...

had 2 very easy & very strange border crossings- I swear it gets easier each time we travel. :) the CDN's seriously asked me if I 'parlez vous le francais' :blink: when I arrived at the border crossing.. and the US side didn't ask to see ANY gifts in the trunk.. nada.. never even asked us if we had beers? strangeness..

Hope everyone had a great holiday!!

:)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I just called my insurance company to ammend my policy for my car insurance. I got a discount for being married, and lowered my rate for living in the neighborhood we live in now (Palos Verdes). Through shear luck, I got professional discount because of my univ. degrees and job when they asked me to update my profile. So far a good day for me. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Krikit, I never even knew you had kids :lol:

Krikit's daughter is getting married soon and she's wearing purple Manolo's! That's pretty much all I know... :lol: Oh and her dress is stunning.

well all.. back after a nice trip home...

had 2 very easy & very strange border crossings- I swear it gets easier each time we travel. :) the CDN's seriously asked me if I 'parlez vous le francais' :blink: when I arrived at the border crossing.. and the US side didn't ask to see ANY gifts in the trunk.. nada.. never even asked us if we had beers? strangeness..

Hope everyone had a great holiday!!

:)

Wow sounds pretty lucky! I think the easiest crossings I've had were around Christmas time as well. Either they are busy thinking about other things or they try to be nice in the spirit of Christmas. In 2007 I crossed back into Canada with a load of presents that I fully intended to declare but the officer didn't give a darn.

On the topic of New Zealand I will fully admit I know nothing about the country aside from its location. My best friend Amelia went on a tour of the South Pacific with school in 2002 which included a 1 day stop in NZ and all I remember her telling me was that they made her sheer a sheep and she thought it was weird and awkward. So, lots of sheep farming down there or did they just pick a really random activity for them to do? :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.