Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I find things here in CO A LOT cheaper than what I experienced back home in Canada. Retail prices are lower, from food to clothes, cars, pretty much everything. Then you have the tax rate of 7% compared to, what... 15% in Ontario? Its half. You really notice when you make big purchases.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No Penny's or Macys in Canada. :P

We're going to look at The Bay, but they're usually really expensive.

Ugh. BC prices. OMG! That reminds me of the time I was living with my Aunt and Uncle in New West! My cousin had this one friend, Animal, who was a tiny bit crazy. (Hence the name.) He needed an outfit for the prom? (can't remember). He said he couldn't afford to buy anything so he jumped into one of the Sally Ann bins and pulled out some items and said he was all set. OMG. :lol:

Yeah, it's so ridiculously expensive here. Can't get over it and I've lived here almost 4 years.

I shop on both sides of the border and I don't notice a real difference in retail prices. Depends on where you shop I guess.

As a deal finder, you can find REALLY good prices down south. Even between Old Navy here in BC and Old Navy in the US is 3-4$ price difference an item. Cars are another example in price differences.

As a regular Old Navy shopper on both sides of the border, I can attest to the truth of this!

Last week I bought two pairs of jeans for under $30...combined. Yes, it was a sale, but I've been to Old Navy here during Boxing Week and haven't seen anything even CLOSE to that.

Plain T-shirts down there are generally about $8 while up here they're about $12 etc. Retail is definitely cheaper Stateside in most cases.

Oddly enough, board games are generally more expensive down there than up here though...one of the anomalies I've come across.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
have you checked out Sears?

back a few years ago we got a suit for the hubby there for like 100 bucks... pants and jacket...

Hubby is going to be home in about an hour, I'm going to drag him to Coquitlam Center (that's right, not Centre!). They have The Bay and Sears.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline
As a deal finder, you can find REALLY good prices down south. Even between Old Navy here in BC and Old Navy in the US is 3-4$ price difference an item. Cars are another example in price differences.

You're also talkin' to someone who lived in Florida for 16 years, then Seattle for 5. Seattle is a heck of a lot more expensive compared to Florida, and BC is more expensive than Seattle. :lol:

I was just referring to clothes not being very different in prices, but you're right about prices in the south and cars. Hubby and I bought a new 2009 Honda Accord for $28K--the same car would have cost $32K in Vancouver!

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Timeline

You're also talkin' to someone who lived in Florida for 16 years, then Seattle for 5. Seattle is a heck of a lot more expensive compared to Florida, and BC is more expensive than Seattle. :lol:

I was just referring to clothes not being very different in prices, but you're right about prices in the south and cars. Hubby and I bought a new 2009 Honda Accord for $28K--the same car would have cost $32K in Vancouver!

The first 'down south' meant Seattle. :P Not the south. We don't buy clothes in Vancouver for a reason - they're cheaper to buy in Seattle.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

The first 'down south' meant Seattle. :P Not the south. We don't buy clothes in Vancouver for a reason - they're cheaper to buy in Seattle.

D'Oh! LOL. You're prolly right. I haven't shopped for clothes in Vancouver for awhile so my memory might be faltering.

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Timeline

So, I'm watching figure skating and the girls outfit looks like what Sailor Moon used to wear. I know that was totally random but I find it pretty amusing. She's just missing the crown that can be used as a weapon.

So, I'm watching figure skating and the girls outfit looks like what Sailor Moon used to wear. I know that was totally random but I find it pretty amusing. She's just missing the crown that can be used as a weapon.

You mean tiara?

:lol:

And Sailor Moon wears a traditional Sailor fuku, aka sailor clothes.

They're the typical wear for high school girls, as it's their uniform.

/nerd

Edited by Rhiann

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

You mean tiara?

/nerd

You totally just ruined it Rhiann... :P

You mean tiara?

/nerd

You totally just ruined it Rhiann... :P

Oops :innocent:

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

I just sold about $200 worth of Sailor Moon collectables and toys to a local girl for $50 because I couldn't justify the space it would take in Ben's truck when I moved.

*sniff*

Definitely still kept my DVDs.

/nerd

Edited by Sam and Ben

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.