Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:unsure:

My husband and I just got invited to a Christmas party tomorrow night for the company he contracts for. I said we could go, but wanted to check the dress code. Well... come to find out - it's "very fancy". That's okay for me, I have clothes for that - my husband does not. Moore's lowest price on sport jackets is $149 - we can't afford that.

Bleh, wish I would've said no.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My husband and I just got invited to a Christmas party tomorrow night for the company he contracts for. I said we could go, but wanted to check the dress code. Well... come to find out - it's "very fancy". That's okay for me, I have clothes for that - my husband does not. Moore's lowest price on sport jackets is $149 - we can't afford that.

Rent!

Tip Top Tailors will rent them out for something like $20 per day, plus deposit.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ugh that sucks Mal! Did you try a cheaper department store, like maybe a JC Penny or even Macy's? They sell sport coats and seperates. I'm not sure what the prices are like, but I've always found Men's Warehouse to be a little pricey.

You just reminded me I left ALL my dresses in Canada when I moved. Poor decision! I'm probably going to need one at some point this Christmas season.

Timeline

No Penny's or Macys in Canada. :P

We're going to look at The Bay, but they're usually really expensive.

Edited by Malrothien

event.png

Timeline

Yeah they are! So what are you going to do if you don't find anything? Skip the party?

Which reminds me, my Husband needs a winter coat!

Wyatt, the dinner is tomorrow, lol. No way we're going to be able to get a rental tonight. Not to mention - he's a bigger guy.

TMI!

:P

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

Yeah they are! So what are you going to do if you don't find anything? Skip the party?

Which reminds me, my Husband needs a winter coat!

That's what I've said, but hubby's like, "I already told him we'll go!"

I just think it's silly to have a dress code like that, but not my party.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

ohhhh you're in Canada. ooops! Ok then, I have no ideas. :hehe:

Filed: Timeline
I think I just got my first ever scam donation phone call :o

Basically it was a really short short spiel about this new Aids drug for babies, something along the line of - if they vaccinate the children within x amount of time after being born they have a 98% chance of never getting Aids. So they are asking everyone to donate either $150 or $300.

So I say, sure! Then they put me through to Antonio in the billing department. I explain to him that I don't have a credit card so I will have to mail the money in, I give him a fake name and my address - he said they would send me an envelope to send the money back to them.

I must say he sounded a little disappointed as "we normally like to have a credit card so your money can start working faster"

:o and :lol:

Let us know what comes in the mail, Trailmix!

if ur a fan of the Trans Siberian orchestra, you can download their xmas CD, all 27 songs for $3.99!! You dont get the CD, download them as a MP3! And if ya use Itunes, goes directly into ur itunes! just downloaed them onto my wifes computer, very easy!!

at amazon :

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Castle-Amazon-...FTAWPF76NYNYB22

or just search on amazon, and u will see it for $3.99

Darn! I paid full price a couple of years ago! lol

Ugh. BC prices. OMG! That reminds me of the time I was living with my Aunt and Uncle in New West! My cousin had this one friend, Animal, who was a tiny bit crazy. (Hence the name.) He needed an outfit for the prom? (can't remember). He said he couldn't afford to buy anything so he jumped into one of the Sally Ann bins and pulled out some items and said he was all set. OMG. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline
[

Awww!! I WISH my husband would act like that. When he gets sick he refuses to admit it to himself and anyone else. He will go out of his way to try to hide it from me and just says, "I'm fine! Its just a little tickle in my throat" or something lame. I literally need to FORCE him to take any sort of medication, he's so stubborn and refuses. He'll go to work anyways and walk outside in a t-shirt when its 10 degrees out. Then he makes ME sick and I always get it worse for some reason... Or Its just that I'm more whiny about it :P

I read a science journal studies that prove cries of cats resonate in humans like human babies do, causing them to WANT to take care of the felines. I've always known cats to be manipulative (humor here) but now science backs me up! I think it's the same thing with SOME (I want to say most) sick men who WANT their wives to baby them, like their mothers did when they were kids. They act like they're dying, the maternal side of me turns on automatically and I rush to their bedside, soothe them, make them chicken soup, etc. Manipulative, I say!

Wyatt, the dinner is tomorrow, lol. No way we're going to be able to get a rental tonight. Not to mention - he's a bigger guy.

Wow, short notice!

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Timeline

Ugh. BC prices. OMG! That reminds me of the time I was living with my Aunt and Uncle in New West! My cousin had this one friend, Animal, who was a tiny bit crazy. (Hence the name.) He needed an outfit for the prom? (can't remember). He said he couldn't afford to buy anything so he jumped into one of the Sally Ann bins and pulled out some items and said he was all set. OMG. :lol:

Yeah, it's so ridiculously expensive here. Can't get over it and I've lived here almost 4 years.

Wow, short notice!

Haha, no joke, hey?

event.png

Timeline

Yeah, it's so ridiculously expensive here. Can't get over it and I've lived here almost 4 years.

I shop on both sides of the border and I don't notice a real difference in retail prices. Depends on where you shop I guess.

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Timeline

I shop on both sides of the border and I don't notice a real difference in retail prices. Depends on where you shop I guess.

As a deal finder, you can find REALLY good prices down south. Even between Old Navy here in BC and Old Navy in the US is 3-4$ price difference an item. Cars are another example in price differences.

You're also talkin' to someone who lived in Florida for 16 years, then Seattle for 5. Seattle is a heck of a lot more expensive compared to Florida, and BC is more expensive than Seattle. :lol:

Edited by Malrothien

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.