Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I already burned myself!

lol - not a good start. :lol:

:lol: Did it putting the pie in the oven. :(

I read your story about David and his friend - unreal. I am very glad that they made it.

I am sure there has to be a better design for ovens!

That's great MrsCat :)

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline
We finally got a chance to speak with the person captaining our boat yesterday. Apparently a 20 foot wave hit the boat at a bad angle and ripped off the rudder, meaning the boat was directionless from that point on. The swell was too great for the small outboard to overcome the waves.

We consider ourself lucky to have had David at the helm. From what the Coast Guard has explained he did absolutely everything right once disaster struck, in order to save himself and his friend and ensure that they were rescued. Their story of survival is just incredible to say the least. The boat capsized completely a few minutes after losing the rudder. It somehow righted itself in another huge wave from the other direction and they both miraculously hung on to the lines of the boat and when it flipped again they both ended up in the cockpit. In the middle of the night, a boat came upon them 100' away stayed for 2 hours and never called the coast guard or rendered assistance despite their SOS signals and flares across their bow. The C130 was heading back for Oahu, flew over top of them and the person sitting the rear spotted their LAST flare.

David is a member of the Army National Guard and an experienced sailor. From what the other crew member said, he was cool and calm the entire time. Barking out orders of how to take down the sails, stow objects, run flotables to the top of the mast in the event of another capsize, preparing the life raft with fuel to burn once they ran out of flares, rationing water and food in the event of a long stay at sea. He is just truly an incredible young man.

We are so thankful that Luke and David were able to return to their families safely. We are also so thankful for all the resources used by the Coast Guard, civil defense, Hilo fire department and all the private charter companies doing tours who asked all of their passengers to keep a look out for a wayward vessel. This enabled the Coast Guard to limit its search to Alenuihaha Channel rather than the other hundreds of miles of coast line on the Big Island. Without that the Coast Guard would have had to search a vaster area and decrease their chances of finding those guys.

We're thankful for a lot today. (L)

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/20091126_...rly_2_days.html

I'm also very glad that everyone made it home safely! I remember reading your thread when you first posted it..we had a situation at work that day where our Captain had to call up a few family members and tell them that their loved ones were lost in a vessel accident...my heart stopped for a brief moment thinking it was your story he was talking about.

Sounds like David's experience as a sailor saved everyone's lives out there, and it's amazing to hear how brave he was in the face of disaster :thumbs:

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

Well, it looks like I will be moving back to Florida without my husband for now. :( Got some bad news about my dad today, and I'm going to need to be there for him. So I'll probably be hopping on a train in January after Christmas. I've got a lot to do between now and then - pack all our stuff, get rid of furniture, and make sure hubby has enough to get by until we get our interview.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

I'm sorry to hear that Mal,

I hope everything turns out well for your dad.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear about that Mal, I hope everything works out for you and your dad. On the plus side, moving back may make the domicile issues much easier for you come interview time, especially given all the recent problems with Montreal.

Timeline
We were already thinking of me going down earlier, but I really didn't want to be away from hubby.

Wow, sorry to hear about that, Mal...that's tough news to get on Thanksgiving. I'm sure having you nearby will help your Dad out, and I'm crossing my fingers for you guys to get a speedy interview (F)

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline
Well, it looks like I will be moving back to Florida without my husband for now. :( Got some bad news about my dad today, and I'm going to need to be there for him. So I'll probably be hopping on a train in January after Christmas. I've got a lot to do between now and then - pack all our stuff, get rid of furniture, and make sure hubby has enough to get by until we get our interview.

Mal, i'm really sorry to hear that you Dad is going through a rough time, hang in there!

Timeline
We were already thinking of me going down earlier, but I really didn't want to be away from hubby.

Wow, sorry to hear about that, Mal...that's tough news to get on Thanksgiving. I'm sure having you nearby will help your Dad out, and I'm crossing my fingers for you guys to get a speedy interview (F)

Mal, i'm really sorry to hear that you Dad is going through a rough time, hang in there!

Thanks, ladies. I'm going to make the best of today as I can. Just chugging along with cooking.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

Totally understandable, I couldn't imagine being in that situation. Hope everything works out for you!

Trailmix-- Your edited mouse just made me LOL :P Love it!

Timeline

So sorry to hear that. (F)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
We finally got a chance to speak with the person captaining our boat yesterday. Apparently a 20 foot wave hit the boat at a bad angle and ripped off the rudder, meaning the boat was directionless from that point on. The swell was too great for the small outboard to overcome the waves.

We consider ourself lucky to have had David at the helm. From what the Coast Guard has explained he did absolutely everything right once disaster struck, in order to save himself and his friend and ensure that they were rescued. Their story of survival is just incredible to say the least. The boat capsized completely a few minutes after losing the rudder. It somehow righted itself in another huge wave from the other direction and they both miraculously hung on to the lines of the boat and when it flipped again they both ended up in the cockpit. In the middle of the night, a boat came upon them 100' away stayed for 2 hours and never called the coast guard or rendered assistance despite their SOS signals and flares across their bow. The C130 was heading back for Oahu, flew over top of them and the person sitting the rear spotted their LAST flare.

David is a member of the Army National Guard and an experienced sailor. From what the other crew member said, he was cool and calm the entire time. Barking out orders of how to take down the sails, stow objects, run flotables to the top of the mast in the event of another capsize, preparing the life raft with fuel to burn once they ran out of flares, rationing water and food in the event of a long stay at sea. He is just truly an incredible young man.

We are so thankful that Luke and David were able to return to their families safely. We are also so thankful for all the resources used by the Coast Guard, civil defense, Hilo fire department and all the private charter companies doing tours who asked all of their passengers to keep a look out for a wayward vessel. This enabled the Coast Guard to limit its search to Alenuihaha Channel rather than the other hundreds of miles of coast line on the Big Island. Without that the Coast Guard would have had to search a vaster area and decrease their chances of finding those guys.

We're thankful for a lot today. (L)

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/20091126_...rly_2_days.html

oh wow glad everything turned out ok.

:ranting: them jerks that appeared in the night and didn't call for help!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Sorry to hear that, Mal...and really sorry to hear about your Dad.

There may be a bright side though -- it may help the domicile aspect of your case? Just thinkin'...

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

I just got back from Target. I woke up thinking: "it won't be so bad" and left at about 5:30... wasn't in a rush. Got to target and the freaking parking lot was completely full. I was like: "####### is wrong with this people?" and then I realized I was one of them... :P

Anyways the only thing I didn't get was the Indiana Jones lego set, I picked up everything else. Got my mom the digital camera she wants and got a good head start on my son's Christmas shopping.

Was it worth it? I think so. I saved $143.00 and it was kind of fun actually... in an insane way.

It was funny to watch people.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.